Demon possession and demons represented by symbols from other religions and practices

Re: Demon possession and demons represented by symbols from other religions and pract

A view of another’s religions and practices is fine but it’s not an authoritative (in any way) source. Surely if one is interested in Christianity one turns to the Bible? - not books/articles/websites on Christianity written by Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus? This must also apply if one wishes to find out about the faiths of others?

It seems to me these are clearly attempts at restricting information; to maintain an “out-group.”

Oh yes, that's what apologetics is...

s.

They are answering questions based on what scripture says... there is nothing more authoritative than the word of God to a Christian. Its not an opinion unless otherwise stated. But this thread wasnt about my reference. I could just have easily posted all the scriptures necessary but the time it would have taken wasnt there.

Re: Demon possession and demons represented by symbols from other religions and pract

I find very interesting the use of the word "apologetics" in the context the way FS and Snoopy are using it.

It seems like Faithfulservant is using it in its classical sense, in which it describes a group which is being persecuted for their beliefs and is coming to their defense.

This led me to read a little more about the history and origin of this word and it is interesting that there is also a modern context which is a more critical one because it implies that these movements suppress negative evidence in order to make their point. So this term is really a rather controversial one.

Any thoughts ?

Apologetics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I consider myself an apologist or a faith defender which is taken from example of the Bereans in the book of Acts. We search the scriptures for the answers rarther than depending on mans interpretations.

I think it's interesting that you see this as the "fall of man" while I see it as a failure of God. If God had a boss, his first attempt at creation would not get a favorable evaluation. In fact, as luck would have it, I have a transcript of this evaluation, a portion of which I'll share with you...
God's Boss: I'd like to talk a little about Project Eden.

God: Ummm... okay.

God's Boss: Is there anything that you think you could have done... better?

God: I'm not sure I know what you mean. I made everything and I confirmed that it was good.

God's Boss: Yes. But don't you think you might have provided more supervision once you finished your creation?

God: Well, maybe but...

God's Boss: Did you complete your Omniscience Training Course?

God: Well, yes but...

God's Boss: But you couldn't manage to keep track of two people?

God: I did warn her...

God's Boss: Once. Were you paying attention in the Creation Seminars when they talked about how stupid people are? They need constant reminders and supervision.

God: Well I just thought I'd made myself clear...

God's Boss: Yes... so clear that only a day or two later she tasted the forbidden fruit. Why weren't you aware that she was going to do that? Were you even at your desk?

God: Actually, I was on holiday... I had scheduled it before being assigned to the project and I...

God's Boss: Are you aware that 62% of new projects fail in the first two weeks?

God: Well, yes.. I guess... but I...

God's Boss: Decided that it was more important to get your rest. Then when you returned and found your creation in complete disarray, the report says that you couldn't locate your humans.

God: They were crouching down... embarrassed by their nakedness... they can be so difficult to find when they do that.

God's Boss: Uh-huh. So then, in anger, you scrapped the project, instead of trying to repair it.

God: I was a little upset...

God's Boss: Do you think you have the temperament for creation? Do you realize how much your project has cost the company due to the constant violence and hatred? It's completely over budget.

God: Well I am trying to get better... I'm doing the best I can...

God's Boss: Yes, well, until we see some improvement, I don't think we'll be assigning you any creations in the near future. Now, about your Plague Performance record...
So there you have it. It really wasn't A&E's fault after all. We've been mistakenly blaming those two kids for all these years when it was really God's fault.

I'm really glad we had a chance to clear up this little misunderstanding.

Im going to assume like every other post of yours.. you arent really expecting a response.. but let me reassure you that you are a most witty and highly intelligent person and waaaaaaaaaaaaay too good for any of us loser Christians!

Im going to assume like every other post of yours.. you arent really expecting a response.. but let me reassure you that you are a most witty and highly intelligent person and waaaaaaaaaaaaay too good for any of us loser Christians!

FS, in order not to wander even further afield from the OP I started a thread Deconstructing Genesis. It's quite the happening scene. Perhaps you could join us. After all, you're posts were the genesis of the thread. ;)

They are answering questions based on what scripture says... there is nothing more authoritative than the word of God to a Christian. Its not an opinion unless otherwise stated. But this thread wasnt about my reference. I could just have easily posted all the scriptures necessary but the time it would have taken wasnt there.

I’m sorry, but this is not the point I was making.

If someone wants to find out about a subject (eg Christianity) it must be appropriate to direct that person to the Bible and to Christians.

If someone wants to find out about a subject (eg Hinduism) it must be appropriate to direct that person to the Sruti and Smritis and to Hindus.

I’ve looked at the Buddhism page and it is willfully misleading and simply incorrect. At the bottom of that particular page it reads:

“For Buddhists there is no merciful Father in heaven who sent His Son to die for our souls, for our salvation, to provide the way for us to reach His glory. Ultimately, that is why Buddhism is to be rejected.”

This is no different than saying:

“For Christians there is no Eightfold Path. Ultimately, that is why Christianity is to be rejected.”

s.

“For Buddhists there is no merciful Father in heaven who sent His Son to die for our souls, for our salvation, to provide the way for us to reach His glory. Ultimately, that is why Buddhism is to be rejected.”

My very first week-long intensive meditation retreat was shared with a Lutheran minister who was looking to strengthen his faith through zen. Buddhism doesn't care if you believe Jesus is your savior or not. Buddhism plays well with other religions. We're more than willing to share the sandbox.

I’m sorry, but this is not the point I was making.

If someone wants to find out about a subject (eg Christianity) it must be appropriate to direct that person to the Bible and to Christians.

If someone wants to find out about a subject (eg Hinduism) it must be appropriate to direct that person to the Sruti and Smritis and to Hindus.

I’ve looked at the Buddhism page and it is willfully misleading and simply incorrect. At the bottom of that particular page it reads:

This is no different than saying:

“For Christians there is no Eightfold Path. Ultimately, that is why Christianity is to be rejected.”

s.

Ok now I understand
yes but you were looking at a site representing Christianity and the Bible and its views on what is believed false and apostate religions such as buddhism and hinduism. So someone researching Buddhism from a biblical perspective would see what the bible says about it or its beliefs.

FS, in order not to wander even further afield from the OP I started a thread Deconstructing Genesis. It's quite the happening scene. Perhaps you could join us. After all, you're posts were the genesis of the thread. ;)

lol we'll see. Im not going to walk into a trap of your making in which I get ganged up on by this sites anti-christian league of nations. :p I'll check it out though... pinky swear.

Perhaps if we had tea and crumpets some time then we'd have less communication problems! :):):):):)

s.

Ok I love tea... but what the heck is a crumpet? :)

like a stodgy waffle! (the first pic in the link below; here in England the thing in the second pic we call a Scotch pancake)

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Crumpet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

s.

yummmmmmm it looks like an english muffin. I love those. I love pancakes too.. with or without maple syrup...

what you need to try is a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich on soft white bread

My very first week-long intensive meditation retreat was shared with a Lutheran minister who was looking to strengthen his faith through zen. Buddhism doesn't care if you believe Jesus is your savior or not. Buddhism plays well with other religions. We're more than willing to share the sandbox.

Indeed. But some don't see it that way...

s.

what you need to try is a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich on soft white bread

I love peanut butter and jam on toast :) ( I think your jelly is my jam, so to speak. Ain't words problems!!)

s.

I love peanut butter and jam on toast :) ( I think your jelly is my jam, so to speak. Ain't words problems!!)

s.

so then you know the joys of the ultimate comfort food. Jam is different here in that its more of a fruit preserve.. you would have bits of fruit in it where jelly is just Jelly! Welches Grape or concorde grape is the best :)
I wouldnt eat this with tea though... It deserves a huge glass of milk!

Interesting you only gave the one definition ;)

They're what I, as an English person, call them. :rolleyes:

Let's not confuse our American cousins any more than we already do!

s.

Jam is different here in that its more of a fruit preserve.. you would have bits of fruit in it where jelly is just Jelly!

Oh we got more categories of fruit gloop in jars than we need :p

conserve, jam, seedless jam, marmalade...

s.

personally, I do not think there is any such thing as demons... I think they are dreamt up by religion so that a) people can have someone else to blame when they mess up, and b) have someone to fear and c) provide another reason for people to cling to their churches and temples...

there is evil in this world, yes, but that evil does not live in ugly pixies; it lives in man, and the mind of man...

some people, usually fundamentalist christian types, will tell you that involvement in anything that might have a non-christian basis is a way to let evil in- but the only evil I can see here is coming from the mouth of a human being... there are symbols in existence that symbolise demons, but I have yet to find any in any martial art I have studied- although there is often references to dragons-

some people think the dragon is another word for satan- it is not true...

any christian who tells you yoga and martial arts is dangerous, spiritually, needs a wake up call. It's a load of rubbish. The church is desperate to keep people, and if you practise yoga you might leave xtianity and go over to Hinduism- then you'll burn in hell for straying from the path... the same with martial arts- if peter does kendo he might end up a Zen buddhist...and then he'll never be saved... ahhhh!

We're more than willing to share the sandbox.

Ewww, sandbox. :eek: Kitties leave presents in the sandbox. :eek: Don't eat the clumpy sand! Don't do it! :eek:

personally, I do not think there is any such thing as demons... I think they are dreamt up by religion so that a) people can have someone else to blame when they mess up, and b) have someone to fear and c) provide another reason for people to cling to their churches and temples...

there is evil in this world, yes, but that evil does not live in ugly pixies; it lives in man, and the mind of man...

some people, usually fundamentalist christian types, will tell you that involvement in anything that might have a non-christian basis is a way to let evil in- but the only evil I can see here is coming from the mouth of a human being... there are symbols in existence that symbolise demons, but I have yet to find any in any martial art I have studied- although there is often references to dragons-

some people think the dragon is another word for satan- it is not true...

any christian who tells you yoga and martial arts is dangerous, spiritually, needs a wake up call. It's a load of rubbish. The church is desperate to keep people, and if you practise yoga you might leave xtianity and go over to Hinduism- then you'll burn in hell for straying from the path... the same with martial arts- if peter does kendo he might end up a Zen buddhist...and then he'll never be saved... ahhhh!

Thank you's for your post! I tend to agree with your reasoning about the yoga and martial arts thing. Kinda like my thoughts on hell in general, and satan, demons, yadda yadda.

But I wanted to learn what other people thought too. Thanks 4 contributing to the madness that is this thread.:D

Meow!

Back