Demon possession and demons represented by symbols from other religions and practices

Re: Demon possession and demons represented by symbols from other religions and pract

thats a good question, but I am not sure of the answer, personally I used to train Jujutsu and MMA which had no spiritual aspect, I would be careful of martial arts that involve internal power training as i believe these arts are dangerous and supernatural in origin and if you get involved in these then there may be consequences, but its your call I suppose.

Well, I'm a 5th Dan (retired) Mah Jong Master and I don't seem to have come to any harm. :)

s.

Re: Demon possession and demons represented by symbols from other religions and pract

Im going to direct you to an apologetics website which have biblically correct answers to questions such as these.

I find very interesting the use of the word "apologetics" in the context the way FS and Snoopy are using it.

It seems like Faithfulservant is using it in its classical sense, in which it describes a group which is being persecuted for their beliefs and is coming to their defense.

This led me to read a little more about the history and origin of this word and it is interesting that there is also a modern context which is a more critical one because it implies that these movements suppress negative evidence in order to make their point. So this term is really a rather controversial one.

Any thoughts ?

Apologetics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What are your positions about Harry Potter books/movies?

What are your positions about Harry Potter books/movies?

they are the spawn of satan :eek:

lol not really , never read the books quite like the movies though.

Christians (bible-believing) believe everything is corrupt since the fall of man. Nothing is perfect in its natural state nature.. man... nothing.

I think it's interesting that you see this as the "fall of man" while I see it as a failure of God. If God had a boss, his first attempt at creation would not get a favorable evaluation. In fact, as luck would have it, I have a transcript of this evaluation, a portion of which I'll share with you...
God's Boss: I'd like to talk a little about Project Eden.

God: Ummm... okay.

God's Boss: Is there anything that you think you could have done... better?

God: I'm not sure I know what you mean. I made everything and I confirmed that it was good.

God's Boss: Yes. But don't you think you might have provided more supervision once you finished your creation?

God: Well, maybe but...

God's Boss: Did you complete your Omniscience Training Course?

God: Well, yes but...

God's Boss: But you couldn't manage to keep track of two people?

God: I did warn her...

God's Boss: Once. Were you paying attention in the Creation Seminars when they talked about how stupid people are? They need constant reminders and supervision.

God: Well I just thought I'd made myself clear...

God's Boss: Yes... so clear that only a day or two later she tasted the forbidden fruit. Why weren't you aware that she was going to do that? Were you even at your desk?

God: Actually, I was on holiday... I had scheduled it before being assigned to the project and I...

God's Boss: Are you aware that 62% of new projects fail in the first two weeks?

God: Well, yes.. I guess... but I...

God's Boss: Decided that it was more important to get your rest. Then when you returned and found your creation in complete disarray, the report says that you couldn't locate your humans.

God: They were crouching down... embarrassed by their nakedness... they can be so difficult to find when they do that.

God's Boss: Uh-huh. So then, in anger, you scrapped the project, instead of trying to repair it.

God: I was a little upset...

God's Boss: Do you think you have the temperament for creation? Do you realize how much your project has cost the company due to the constant violence and hatred? It's completely over budget.

God: Well I am trying to get better... I'm doing the best I can...

God's Boss: Yes, well, until we see some improvement, I don't think we'll be assigning you any creations in the near future. Now, about your Plague Performance record...

So there you have it. It really wasn't A&E's fault after all. We've been mistakenly blaming those two kids for all these years when it was really God's fault.

I'm really glad we had a chance to clear up this little misunderstanding.

looool Adam is suppose to be Gods first prophet, I think we blame eve more hense why women have to go through painful child birth and the monthly "curse".

Surely if one is interested in Christianity one turns to the Bible? - not books/articles/websites on Christianity written by Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus? This must also apply if one wishes to find out about the faiths of others?
whoa there logic has no place in a religious discussion:eek:

CZ, very creative, but you stopped one step short of where I thought you were headed....

I think it's interesting that you see this as the "fall of man" while I see it as a failure of God. If God had a boss, his first attempt at creation would not get a favorable evaluation. In fact, as luck would have it, I have a transcript of this evaluation, a portion of which I'll share with you...
God's Boss: I'd like to talk a little about Project Eden.

God: Ummm... okay.

God's Boss: Yes, well, until we see some improvement, I don't think we'll be assigning you any creations in the near future. Now, about your Plague Performance record...

Here is the revised transcript:

God's Boss: YOUR FIRED !!! (using Donald Trump voice and gesture :D)
----

Oh boy, I must be hanging out with you and Tao too much ;).

It is interesting that Luke describes the demons in medical terms, but if you read accounts of demons in Mark there is little indication of them being anything except invisible beings. That does not mean Mark definitely thought a demon was something with a mind or with fangs. There is something written in the NT about the Pharisees driving out demons, which is significant as the many pharisees were priests, and the priest class was skilled in certain forms of medicine. Let us say that somebody caught a cold: well it might be called a demon for lack of a more descriptive term, but that does not automatically mean everyone was superstitious. It would have been a matter of opinion what demons actually were, while the operative language would have been of something living. Diseases do seem to have a life, sometimes jumping from one person to another, arriving, leaving, multiplying.

Dream, that's really interesting. I've never thought about it like that before.

I have a question for those that believe in demons now. Do you believe in demons as fallen angels strictly?

I think it could be spirit possession, rather than demon possession. Bur who knows?

Wil, LOL

CZ, LOL!

Avi, LOLX2

Thanx 4 the posts!

OOO and I like Harry Potter! I don't think he's the spawn of satan at all! LOL!

I find very interesting the use of the word "apologetics" in the context the way FS and Snoopy are using it.
It seems like Faithfulservant is using it in its classical sense, in which it describes a group which is being persecuted for their beliefs and is coming to their defense.
This led me to read a little more about the history and origin of this word and it is interesting that there is also a modern context which is a more critical one because it implies that these movements suppress negative evidence in order to make their point. So this term is really a rather controversial one.
Any thoughts ?

Apologetics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well I wasn't too clear on the meaning (ignorant!) so I referenced this:

“Apologetics has traditionally been positive in its direct argument for Christianity and negative in its criticism of opposing beliefs. Its function is both to fortify the believer against personal doubts and to remove the intellectual stumbling blocks that inhibit the conversion of unbelievers. Apologetics has steered a difficult course between dogmatism, which fails to take seriously the objections of non-Christians, and the temptation to undermine the strength of defense by granting too much to the skeptic. Apologetics has rarely been taken as providing a conclusive proof of Christianity; many apologists believe that to insist on such proof is to sacrifice the supernatural element to purely rational considerations. Some theologians have been skeptical about the value of apologetics to a religion based on faith.”

apologetics (Christianity) -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia

s.

whoa there logic has no place in a religious discussion:eek:

Sorry :eek:

It breaks out sometimes. Blame it on me ejjukayshun.

s.

Snoopy, thanks for the clarification, that is the sense that I thought you were using the term and the Britannica definition is helpful.

It is interesting that a word which has meanings which are so disperate, even opposing, has religious context, maybe not surprising. :)

Snoopy, thanks for the clarification, that is the sense that I thought you were using the term and the Britannica definition is helpful.

It is interesting that a word which has meanings which are so disperate, even opposing, has religious context, maybe not surprising. :)

In my profound ignorance I associate it with apologising for something or somebody. They can't be unrelated...

I apologise for derailing this thread.

s.

I apologise for derailing this thread.

I think I am more of the trouble maker :eek:, sorry too !!

Wow that was fun! Again?! Again, again, again!

On a slightly more serious note...

I used a ouija board with some friends once and one of my friends mom yelled at me for talking to demons with her son present.

If those were demons, they were some pretty tame demons.

Ghosts are tricky though. They'll lie about anything to liven up a conversation. One of them told me that he was Abe Lincoln. It was just sad. Poor little ghostie, thought I'd fall for that.

I've never had any problems with ouija boards, and I've used one of them a looot. Anybody have any opinions on em? If you believe that I have been consorting with demons, why do you believe that?

You know what they say about curiosity and kitties. I'm on my nth life already. Teehee.

Seriously though, curious.

Thanx 4 da postz!

I think I'll start a shiny new thread about ouija boards in a different section, because they fascinate me. And I kinda wanna see if it's just me, ya know?

Back