What's your favorite movie?

juantoo3

....whys guy.... ʎʇıɹoɥʇnɐ uoıʇsǝnb
Reaction score
Kindest Regards!

Since we have covered a number of favorites, I am curious, what would you consider to be your all time favorite movie?

Mine is 2001: A Space Odyssey

A close second would be A Man Called Horse

Namaste juan,

thank you for the post.

A favorite movie?

hmm... that's going to be tough for me...

since i can't pick just one... how about i list the top five by number of times i've watched them?

Big Trouble in Little China ~ 346
The Empire Strikes Back (Star Wars, Ep. 5) ~ 245
Star Wars Episode 4 ~ 233
Raiders of the Lost Arc ~ 113
Baraka ~ 35

ok... so i enjoy watching movies :) what can i tell you ;)

now... in terms of movies that i feel have some value other than pure entertainment....

Baraka ~ this could be the absolute best... in fact... this is such a powerful movie that it's sometimes difficult to watch..

Pink Floyds ~ The Wall. what can i say... Mr. Waters could have written my life story.

Siddartha ~ the story of the Buddha

Full Metal Jacket ~ Stanly Kubric. this is a really powerful story for me on many levels... if you've never seen it.. it can be a difficult film to watch.

I don't have a favorite, but the Cohen Bros 'The Man Who Wasn't There' has to be the most perfect movie I've ever seen. Based on my favorite Hughes Mearns poem, too.

Eraserhead is really good. I guess I could say its my favorite.

Re: What's your favourite movie?

I'm not sure which film to pick from these favourite three:

Being There (with Peter Sellers)
American Beauty
Full Metal Jacket

my top 5:

the excorcist (first really scary movie that i saw)
missing (jack lemmon/sissy spacek - just for the beautiful acting)
the silence of the lambs (love the author, and the movie was great too)
Glengarry Glen Ross (dreadful pace, but acting supreme)
unforgiven (beautiful filmmaking)

Would have to be a toss of up either Star Wars, or Life of Brian. :)

Favorite directors (in order of appreciation) :
------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Tim Burton
2. Stanley Kubrick
3. Peter Jackson
4. Quentin Tarantino
5. David Lynch

Favorite movies (alphabetical order) :
--------------------------------------------------------
- American Beauty (Sam Mendes)
- American History X (Tony Kaye)
- American Psycho (Mary Harron)
- Back To The Future Trilogie (Robert Zemeckis)
- Bad Taste (Peter Jackson)
- Batman I & II (Tim Burton)
- Beetlejuice (Tim Burton)
- Being John Malkovich (Spike Jonze)
- Born on the Fourth of July (Oliver Stone)
- Braindead (Peter Jackson)
- Cannibal Holocaust (Ruggero Deodato)
- Citizen Kane (Orson Welles)
- Clockwork Orange (Stanley Kubrick)
- Colors (Dennis Hopper)
- Cube I (Vincenzo Natali)
- Das Experiment (Oliver Hirschbiegel)
- Edward Scissorhands (Tim Burton)
- Exorcist I (William Friedkin)
- Fifth Element (Luc Besson)
- Forrest Gump (Robert Zemeckis)
- Full Metal Jacket (Stanley Kubrick)
- Ghost In The Shell (Mamoru Oshii)
- Hellzapoppin (H C Potter)
- In the Mouth of Madness (John Carpenter)
- James and the Giant Peach (Henry Selick)
- La Vita E Bella (Roberto Benigni)
- Lola Rennt (Tom Tykwer)
- Lord Of The Rings Trilogie (Peter Jackson)
- Lost Highway (David Lynch)
- Mad Max Trilogie (George Miller)
- Mars Attacks (Tim Burton)
- Matrix I (Wachowski brothers)
- Natural Born Killers (Oliver Stone)
- Night Of The Living Dead Trilogie (George A Romero)
- Nightmare Before Christmas (Henry Selick)
- Platoon (Oliver Stone)
- Requiem For A Dream (Darren Aronofsky)
- Reservoir Dogs (Quentin Tarantino)
- Shrek (several directors)
- Shallow Grave (Danny Boyle)
- Star Wars trilogie (George Lucas)
- Terminator I (James Cameron)
- Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead (Gary Fleder)
- Trainspotting (Danny Boyle)
- True Romance (Tony Scott)
- Twelve Monkeys (Terry Gilliam)
- Wallace & Gromit trilogie (Nick Park)
- Watership Down (Martin Rosen)
- Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Robert Zemeckis)
- Yellow Submarine (George Dunning)

IlluSionS667 said:
Favorite directors (in order of appreciation) :
------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Tim Burton
2. Stanley Kubrick
3. Peter Jackson
4. Quentin Tarantino
5. David Lynch

Favorite movies (alphabetical order) :
--------------------------------------------------------
- American Beauty (Sam Mendes)
- American History X (Tony Kaye)
- American Psycho (Mary Harron)
- Back To The Future Trilogie (Robert Zemeckis)
- Bad Taste (Peter Jackson)
- Batman I & II (Tim Burton)
- Beetlejuice (Tim Burton)
- Being John Malkovich (Spike Jonze)
- Born on the Fourth of July (Oliver Stone)
- Braindead (Peter Jackson)
- Cannibal Holocaust (Ruggero Deodato)
- Citizen Kane (Orson Welles)
- Clockwork Orange (Stanley Kubrick)
- Colors (Dennis Hopper)
- Cube I (Vincenzo Natali)
- Das Experiment (Oliver Hirschbiegel)
- Edward Scissorhands (Tim Burton)
- Exorcist I (William Friedkin)
- Fifth Element (Luc Besson)
- Forrest Gump (Robert Zemeckis)
- Full Metal Jacket (Stanley Kubrick)
- Ghost In The Shell (Mamoru Oshii)
- Hellzapoppin (H C Potter)
- In the Mouth of Madness (John Carpenter)
- James and the Giant Peach (Henry Selick)
- La Vita E Bella (Roberto Benigni)
- Lola Rennt (Tom Tykwer)
- Lord Of The Rings Trilogie (Peter Jackson)
- Lost Highway (David Lynch)
- Mad Max Trilogie (George Miller)
- Mars Attacks (Tim Burton)
- Matrix I (Wachowski brothers)
- Natural Born Killers (Oliver Stone)
- Night Of The Living Dead Trilogie (George A Romero)
- Nightmare Before Christmas (Henry Selick)
- Platoon (Oliver Stone)
- Requiem For A Dream (Darren Aronofsky)
- Reservoir Dogs (Quentin Tarantino)
- Shrek (several directors)
- Shallow Grave (Danny Boyle)
- Star Wars trilogie (George Lucas)
- Terminator I (James Cameron)
- Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead (Gary Fleder)
- Trainspotting (Danny Boyle)
- True Romance (Tony Scott)
- Twelve Monkeys (Terry Gilliam)
- Wallace & Gromit trilogie (Nick Park)
- Watership Down (Martin Rosen)
- Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Robert Zemeckis)
- Yellow Submarine (George Dunning)
Question: My Favorite Movie?///Answer: Try This Response on for Size.......

Rather than give you one of my favorite movies for, like books, the list is endless and I'm not sure what purpose such a list serves(no matter how many items there are on the list), I will give you a review I wrote recently on Mel Gibson's 'The Passion of the Christ' which, it seems to me anyway, is relevant to the content of this website on comparative religion:
THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST: A Film Review by Ron Price

This film is not intended to be a masterful historical documentary as, say, Ken Burns' work on the Civil War or one of many others done in the first century of the existence of the cinema. Gibson's work is far from possessing what some might call an intellectual poverty in its pretensions at historical documentary. Shawn Rosenheim says all TV documentaries possess an intellectual poverty. If Rosenheim is right the visual media are simply incapable of producing historical documentary.1 Even if Rosenheim is wrong historical documentary of an event 2000 years ago is impossible. We simply do not know enough.

We all know that Gibson did not take his camera crew to downtown Jerusalem in some kind of time-warp to produce an anti-Jewish, anti Roman clip for the evening news. Even if he had and he then produced for us all an evening two hour special, spectacle, called "the crucifixion," there would still be questions about visual manipulation and the program's service in the name of directing popular thought toward a new religious movement. New reliigous movements have always had trouble getting popular exposure.

No one would claim that Gibson's is a neutral recording of objective events. It is a construct operating from a certain point of view. It is a rhetorical argument achieved through the selection and combination of elements that both reflect and project a world, a world view, a cosmology if you like. It is achieved by certain cinematic conventions that try to erase any signs of cinematic artificiality. An ideology is promoted by linking the effect of reality to social values and institutions in such a way that these values seem natural and self-evident. In the case of Mel Gibson's work, a work that I found quite stimulating in its own way, the ideology is simply and strongly: fundamentalist Christianity.

I've never been attracted to Christianity in any of its fundamentalist forms. But I liked this film. Film can often get to people in ways that words, ideas and simple beliefs cannot. It was not because of its historical accuracy that I liked it. I liked All the Presidents Men and a number of other films based on and rooted in some historical theme. Rarely are historical films accurate; the main reason they seem so is that the people watching them know so little about the theme, the event, that it seems plausible to them. Sadly, but truly, we know so little about the events of the life of Jesus of Nazereth that a good script writer, a good cinematographer and a big band of men and women can bring something to life that may never have happened at all.

Bertrand Russell wrote in his Why I'm Not a Christian that, in a court of law, there is little evidence for even the existence of Jesus let alone his manner of death. Historicity simply does not exist when it comes to the events in the life of a man who has had a profound affect, I believe, on history. But what I believe and what I know; what you believe and what you actually know about Jesus are in two different worlds. The distance between the pulpit and the academic chair of religion has been widening for at least two centuries. In fact for millions of men and women these days historicity is irrelevant to their beliefs. History has become, for those millions, what it was for Henry Ford: bunk or was it bunkum? Mel, you've given us a thriller. To hell with history! 5 out of 5.

As a sort of epilogue to this brief comment on the film: one of the main reasons I am a Baha'i is that historicity is important to me. In a religion that has grown up in the modern age historicity does not present major issues. At least not yet. The revelation of Baha'u'llah, confined as it is to only 6 million adherents, has grown slowly since the mid-nineteenth century.

The originating impulse for each of the major religions of history, an impulse that led to the phenomenon of revelation or some defining religious experience has receded so far into history as to be accessible to us in only a very limited and unsatisfactory degree. Far otherwise with the work of the Founder of the Baha'i Faith. The details of His life are massively documented. And one day film-makers will make films about this Life that draw on historical facticity, historical reality. But history has a thousand faces, a thousand forms, and Mel Gibson has given us some very stimulating ones in his film ‘The Passion of the Christ.’ They will serve for some of the millions who watched it to bring them closer to One whom Baha'u'llah said: when Christ was crucified the world wept with a great weaping.

1 The Historical Film: History and Memory in Media, editor, Marcia Pandy, the Athone Press, London, 2001.

Namaste Illusion,

by the way.. Tim Burton directed Nightmare Before Christmas :)

on the soundtrack.. Patrick Stewart narrates the beginning and all the transitions... it's pretty neat... if you like that sort of thing, that is.

Wow!, I didn't think this would turn into a catalogue!

Some noticable pics left out include Monty Python and the Holy Grail, the first Star Trek movie (the only other truly good one was the one with the whales), and Billy Jack. A couple of other favorites would be ThunderHeart, and Down Periscope. Also Saving Private Ryan.

In general I like the work of Clint Eastwood, Roy Schieder (especially Sorceror), Tom Hanks, and any actress that ages gracefully (Rachel Welch, Ann Margaret, Sophia Loren, and Goldie Hawn as examples). Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon are favorite comic actors, with Billy Crystal and Kelsey Grammar being on the list as well.

For directors, I like the work of Stanley Kubrick, Francis Ford Coppola and some of Steven Spielberg's work.

I forgot to mention the film Das Boot.

If we're going to add actors, then we surely need to add Robert De Niro, despites his repeated type-casting - and Robin Williams, who is often rather under-rated as a serious actor. cf "Awakenings" as a brilliant example of both men acting in completely different roles to usual, and pulling it all off beautifully (despite that one of the nurses provides the voice for Marge Simpson. :) ).

Difficult to choose, so I'll give only a few samples, recently on the cinema :

The last samurai
Gladiator
Lord of the rings
Shanghai noon and Shanghai knights

Generally, I prefer the comedies :)

Can't pick just one, so a list:

The Right Stuff
A Hard Day's Night
Rebel Without A Cause
The Day The Earth Stood Still
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
The Godfather
The Turning Point
The Parent Trap (original version)

I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of them at the moment.

I'm a huge Stanley Kubrick fan. A Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket, and The Shining are my favorites, although I admit I can't watch them a lot ... too depressing and/or scary.

As for films I watch over and over:
  • Young Frankenstein
  • Some Like It Hot
  • Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory
  • The Philadelphia Story
  • The English Patient
  • Dead Again
  • Much Ado About Nothing specifically for the casting of Keanu Reeves ... nothing like Shakespeare with a California accent, dudes ... (I'm a bit of a Kenneth Branagh fan)
  • A Walk on the Moon
  • Moulin Rouge (I love musical spectaculars)
  • Casablanca
  • The Princess Bride
  • The Wallace & Gromit films (and a new one is coming! Whoo-hoo!)
As for Important films:
  • Sunshine, which I thought depicted the confusion of that era in Eastern Europe very accurately, judging by my mother's and grandparents' stories
  • A Woman's Tale
  • Dead Man Walking
  • Bob Roberts (Watch it in time for the elections. It'll scare the hell out of you)
  • Nosferatu (In terms of the film history. Stunning.)
  • Metropolis. Another classic with a slightly goofy ending, but otherwise very provocative.
With metta,
Zenda

A new Wallace and Gromitt, eh? Worth waiting for. :)

Back on the topic of favorites....

"The Villain" - Kirk Douglas, Ahrnold, and Ann-Margaret.

Best fun is watching it with someone who's never seen it before and watching their reactions....

Back