• Are you a body with a soul?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Are you a soul with a body?

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Or something else entirely?

Votes: 18 58.1%

• Total voters
Alan Watts Theater

These videos were made using certain key parts of Alan Watts' insightful talks. They all seem relevant to this and other conversations on here. Might help or might not! None of them are very long and they can be kind of amusing ;) My favourite is the one that has a picture of two ball-like creatures.

For a totally different view of soul from the Jungian perspective, there's this long essay explicating that view:
Netscape Search Bottom line of the essay seems to be they know it when they see it but they don't know what it is.:D My view of soul is rather along the lines of Path's but yet murkier in my own understanding. I think rather vaguely that it is somehow integral to consciousness itself though not necessarily synonymous. At times I think of it as a field of potentiality which unfolds across all domains and realms-physical and mental, finite and infinite or rather temporal and non-temporal realms, material and "spiritual." In a sense, it's like DNA but I believe it is the field within which DNA is structured. earl

I tend to get myself in trouble occasionally when I attempt to point out to Buddhists that relative to the notion of alaya vijnana in Tibetan Buddhism there is a rough parallel to the Western notion of "soul." Here's brief summary of a talk David Gray-a Tibetan Buddhist scholar gave at an Esalen conference regarding the parallel and adds the interesting TB view that one's mental state affects the type of "world" one is "born into." So guess you could say mind and cosmology come together in this view or as the Hermetic folk said "as above, so below.":) This view perhaps comes closest to my view of "soul."
Netscape Search This would be the only sense in which I would buy the "New Age" notion that we create our own reality. earl

I believe I have a mind, a body and a soul/spirit. When my mind and body cease, I will still exist (in a different manner) as my soul/spirit. Now, I wont go on to say where I shall go, cos I'm trying to be good, but, i believe I will go on. Just not in this body.

By the way, I would prefer if both mind and body "go" at the same time.
But , thats just me.

Well, greymare, am thinking my mind's going to beat my body out the door.:p I've been meaning to ask about how it is you've moved from Oz to the US. earl

Are you a person in a car or a car with a person in it?

Are you the car or the driver?

Hopefullly that answers it.

Thanks; it does. Where does that leave the backseat driver? :p

s.

Thanks; it does. Where does that leave the backseat driver? :p

s.
Kahlil Gibran
Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might
that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable.

Kahlil Gibran
Your children are not your children....

For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable.

I see, an insistence on seriousness huh.

"This collection of cells has the impression that it is I. This is a proposition I do not necessarily agree with."

- RD Laing.

s.

I see, an insistence on seriousness huh.

"This collection of cells has the impression that it is I. This is a proposition I do not necessarily agree with."

- RD Laing.​

s.
You thought my response not appropriate to the question?

Yeah RD, since when are we allowed to think for ourcellves?

You thought my response not appropriate to the question?

Perish the thought my dear fellow!

Yeah RD, since when are we allowed to think for ourcellves?
I hope our neurons aren't making our decisions before we think we've made our decisions...:eek:

s.

Probably just about every time. I don't believe we use only a small percentage of our brains. The body is full of muscles which are only used at certain times, but you don't hear people saying we only use 10% of our muscles. We use all of them sooner or later. The more we use them the stronger they are. I use the oops section of my brain a lot, so it has gotten really strong.

Well this is my third post here outside of introdutions....to me, the soul is an image representation of emotional experience, nothing more.....

Well this is my third post here outside of introdutions....to me, the soul is an image representation of emotional experience, nothing more.....
an image representation of emotional experience.

an image...as in visible?

a visible representation?

of an emotional experience as in we have a number of visable representations of various emotional experiences.

how do these affect us?

I'm guessing that an image representation is a symbol or artistic representation of something.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Alan Watts Theater

These videos were made using certain key parts of Alan Watts' insightful talks. They all seem relevant to this and other conversations on here. Might help or might not! None of them are very long and they can be kind of amusing ;) My favourite is the one that has a picture of two ball-like creatures.

Alan Watts thinking resonates with me, as does Paul Bruntons:

'Brunton's mature philosophy, essentially non-dual, can be characterized perhaps as a form of vedanta known as Parinama-vada, which holds that the world(s) are a
modification of Brahman projecting out as stadia or levels of being. As expressed in The Wisdom of the Overself, can be succinctly although inadequately stated as follows: Ultimate Reality is Mind. Mind’s first expression is the Void. The Void’s first expression is the World-Mind (God or Logos), then the World Idea, and finally, through a series of stepped-down emanations, the world itself. The individual can not know Mind, as such, but he can commune with the World-Mind through union with his individual Overself (Divine Soul). The Overself is individual, but not personal. It is the Conscious Self,
beyond ego.'
Paul Brunton.pdf

Artistc,,,,,personal experience.

I just lied down to bed. I was layin’ on my stomach with my arms reaching sideways and my elbows bent placing my hands above my head. As soon as I lay down and with out any effort on my part, I felt a relaxing energy move up from my feet, to my legs, my chest, and then I stopped the flow. I gripped my fist trying to stop the energy and then I felt my self quickly leave my body. Next I found my point of view to be from the ceiling at the right end of the bed at an 89-90 degree angle. I looked down at my body and noticed that my pure white soul was rising out of my body feet first and then from the area of the neck and shoulders. I placed the white silhouette to the right of my body. Here I felt as if I was going into a perpetual rest. So I gave my soul a look over and then I focused intently on the brain area. Then I noticed a tiny patch of light gray appear in the brain area. The longer I stared at it the darker and larger the spot grew. Quickly the black formed to the shape of my brain. Then it trickled down to the spot where I stopped the flow, the neck and shoulder area. In my next action, I moved my point of view to be on the left side of the image. There I saw that the darkness was hovering about and inch over the light. Then I went back to the 89-degree angle and felt joy. Then I looked at the television and seen a cartoon like blonde hair child (my soul)jump out of my body and into the TV, as the boy moved, so did I back into my body. I had no idea what this meant when I experienced it, years later I came to the understanding of the Atman and atman, this is how this experienced affected me, how it affects you is your decsion. smile.

Has anyone heard of the theory of No Boundary, or Unity Consciousness? Where all is one and one is all. There are no boundaries between anything, because boundaries are invented illusions. So there would be no soul, only one universal consciousness.

Has anyone heard of the theory of No Boundary, or Unity Consciousness? Where all is one and one is all. There are no boundaries between anything, because boundaries are invented illusions. So there would be no soul, only one universal consciousness.
all 4 1 & 1 4 all.... U N EYE R 1....

tis our life....just because we are one does not mean we aren't different.

eg you are one...one undecided yet you have skin cells and heart cells and fingers and toes but it is all you. And UNeyeR1 but we are differentiated as well...

we are all connected to the same world wide web (universal conscioiusness) but we all access through our own modem (soul)

I think I am agreeing....

Back