Just a question.

• Are you a body with a soul?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Are you a soul with a body?

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Or something else entirely?

Votes: 18 58.1%

• Total voters
Well, good afternoon to all. It seems that our frantic weather is over for the time being... have never seen so much snow and cold in the southeast before and I've been in this house for 46 years! Ahanu, you speak of dreams, I speak of visions. There is much difference between the two. We can get into specifics shortly, if I may, or you can peek in at "Are Atheists smarter than...".

Shawn, my friend, let's have at it! I know I have a soul because of my life-experience. Oddly enough I am a Trekky... even at my age. One episode of the Next Generation was titled, "The Measure of a Man." It was an excellent production that examined Data's inner (spiritual) nature. Was he a machine or a sentient being! In the end, the judge hearing the case made a statement , (approximate version)... "what we're actually asking here is, does Data have a soul. I don't know, I don't know if I have one, but he must be given the right to choose......." I think first we must define what a 'soul' is. Is it of the same nature as our concepts of God? And if we are not believers, a spiritual deity does not even enter into the equation.

So, Ahanu, here WE go, and we'll take Shawn with us... As a believer I personally define the 'soul' as an extension of 'Deity' that gives us 'life', 'existence'. It is an independant, self-governing sentience that functions beyond, and independant from, our physical being (including the brain and brain waves) which has no physical properties and is eternal in nature. The mere fact that I dream is an extension we generally attribute to all intelligent (sentient) beings. The difference I perceive is that dreams are for 'entertainment'... Ahanu, how many of your dreams come true in the physical world? My visions, and the visions of the very few with whom I am acquainted, ALL eventually come to pass in our material existence. They have been, in my experience, previews of future events, and that creates a BIG problem!

Without 'daring' to question whether future events are already determined, please let's not go there, (a subject dealing with physics and metaphysics), most 'visions' come to us as complex dreams (waking or sleeping, and I have both) which entail the recognition of complex figures, icons, and pictures of alien design. The understanding of a vision depends on the translation of what we have 'seen', and most are beyond the ability of the physical to fathom. Then if our human brains do not have the capacity to 'explain' the details of the vision, our understanding depends on a facet that we cannot knowingly manipulate... the soul! Often, after having a vision, there is a period of meditation, or prayer, and in the silence that follows, an understanding materializes. It may not be immediate, it may take days.... even years. But when it comes to us it is as an 'epiphany', an instant and complete understanding that cannot possibly come from a 'mental' or physical process.

We speak of 'soul-mates'. In the true case, there is an instant, 'knowing', a 'bonding', if you will, that goes beyond any possible physical recognition.
This type of inner sense, awareness, does not come from the brain; eyesight, hearing, or sense of touch. In our 'wondering' we must conclude that there is another facet of our being that allows for such things, and that I must personally attribute to the presence of the 'soul'! And here, I might be insinuating that the 'soul' does not necessarily have to be of a 'religious' nature. (Underline that thought for future reference.)

As one example I would point you to the prophet, Ezekiel....Edgar Allen Poe never had dreams like that and I doubt that anyone today can begin to explain or interpret what he saw, and yet the exposition of his visions are 'Old Testamental'! (lol)

In ending this present session I would tell you this. When my mother-in-law passed away, I was standing alone beside her. It was silent, it was painles for her. And as I watched I saw a soft envelope of light rise from her body and slowly fade into the night. (God rest her eternal soul.)

I am open to your comments as all I seek here is knowledge.

Hi Vic.

I also believe that there is a soul/spiritual component.
And that this aspect of our-selves is connected with Source/God/Divinity.
These things are hard to define (for obvious reasons) which lead to so many points of view on it.

Well, good afternoon to all. It seems that our frantic weather is over for the time being... have never seen so much snow and cold in the southeast before and I've been in this house for 46 years! Ahanu, you speak of dreams, I speak of visions. There is much difference between the two. We can get into specifics shortly, if I may, or you can peek in at "Are Atheists smarter than...".

Shawn, my friend, let's have at it! I know I have a soul because of my life-experience. Oddly enough I am a Trekky... even at my age. One episode of the Next Generation was titled, "The Measure of a Man." It was an excellent production that examined Data's inner (spiritual) nature. Was he a machine or a sentient being! In the end, the judge hearing the case made a statement , (approximate version)... "what we're actually asking here is, does Data have a soul. I don't know, I don't know if I have one, but he must be given the right to choose......." I think first we must define what a 'soul' is. Is it of the same nature as our concepts of God? And if we are not believers, a spiritual deity does not even enter into the equation.

So, Ahanu, here WE go, and we'll take Shawn with us... As a believer I personally define the 'soul' as an extension of 'Deity' that gives us 'life', 'existence'. It is an independant, self-governing sentience that functions beyond, and independant from, our physical being (including the brain and brain waves) which has no physical properties and is eternal in nature. The mere fact that I dream is an extension we generally attribute to all intelligent (sentient) beings. The difference I perceive is that dreams are for 'entertainment'... Ahanu, how many of your dreams come true in the physical world? My visions, and the visions of the very few with whom I am acquainted, ALL eventually come to pass in our material existence. They have been, in my experience, previews of future events, and that creates a BIG problem!

Without 'daring' to question whether future events are already determined, please let's not go there, (a subject dealing with physics and metaphysics), most 'visions' come to us as complex dreams (waking or sleeping, and I have both) which entail the recognition of complex figures, icons, and pictures of alien design. The understanding of a vision depends on the translation of what we have 'seen', and most are beyond the ability of the physical to fathom. Then if our human brains do not have the capacity to 'explain' the details of the vision, our understanding depends on a facet that we cannot knowingly manipulate... the soul! Often, after having a vision, there is a period of meditation, or prayer, and in the silence that follows, an understanding materializes. It may not be immediate, it may take days.... even years. But when it comes to us it is as an 'epiphany', an instant and complete understanding that cannot possibly come from a 'mental' or physical process.

We speak of 'soul-mates'. In the true case, there is an instant, 'knowing', a 'bonding', if you will, that goes beyond any possible physical recognition.
This type of inner sense, awareness, does not come from the brain; eyesight, hearing, or sense of touch. In our 'wondering' we must conclude that there is another facet of our being that allows for such things, and that I must personally attribute to the presence of the 'soul'! And here, I might be insinuating that the 'soul' does not necessarily have to be of a 'religious' nature. (Underline that thought for future reference.)

As one example I would point you to the prophet, Ezekiel....Edgar Allen Poe never had dreams like that and I doubt that anyone today can begin to explain or interpret what he saw, and yet the exposition of his visions are 'Old Testamental'! (lol)

In ending this present session I would tell you this. When my mother-in-law passed away, I was standing alone beside her. It was silent, it was painles for her. And as I watched I saw a soft envelope of light rise from her body and slowly fade into the night. (God rest her eternal soul.)

I am open to your comments as all I seek here is knowledge.
those of us who are children of the light would never need to be convinced of the existance of the soul. It possesses us we can not seperate our mind and soul. But we have been aware of it either from sunday school years or a personal relationship with the lord. Children of this world, (and there are billions) may not ever gain the awareness of their soul, but heck most would deny the existance of a God or gods. If the churched people did a better job of imulating christ the worlds children would see a wonderfull example of Gods love passing by and follow. You know not one of the disciples followed Christ until they saw him walk by. When you imulate the master there is no need for statistics or proof to the observer, you are the truth the word and witness. All of those belonging to Christ know of there soul and the fathers spirit as well as the deficit of the flesh along with its ignorant blindness. I wouldnt waist anymore spiritual energy trying to convince anyone that a soul exists. If they dont already know of it they probably dont have theres anymore.

Do you have a soul?

Yes, I am certain, without a doubt, that I have a soul.

Or do you have a body?
If not, I am not sure what is typing this response.

Are you a body with a soul?

Yep. Thats me. I'm in.

Or a soul which currently has this body?

You mean some souls move from body to body ? Is that from the "Night of the Body Snatchers" ? :eek:

Or something else entirely?
You mean like a Scottish bagpipe ? :D

Not sure I fully understood these questions. I think I need to go back and do some meditaiton.

"If they dont already know of it they probably dont have theres anymore."

Gee, Jarrett, how did they lose it? Since the 'soul' is that part of the Spirit
that gives us 'life', and without it there is no life, are all those people dead?

"If they dont already know of it they probably dont have theres anymore."

Gee, Jarrett, how did they lose it? Since the 'soul' is that part of the Spirit
that gives us 'life', and without it there is no life, are all those people dead?
Let the dead bury the dead. What do you think Jesus meant when he told the one whom wanted to follow him after he buried his loved one. You have to recieve the resurection now not later.

Yes all that are in there life of sin are dead dead dead. For yet while i was dead in sin he came to me and gave me life. NOW i live. BEFORE i was dead. The Kingdom is here.

If we are Souls having a physical experience, and not just physical people walking around with a soul, somewhere, somehow ... that certainly puts a different perspective on things. ;)

It is true that in the West we tend to think of the world (and the universe) as being created for us, and that we must conquer and control it.
You are right, this is a very unsophisticated way of thinking.

Unfortunately this includes destroying/killing species and plant life that get in the way of our growth and development as a species, agriculture being a good example of this.
I think we will have some opportunities to correct our ways, genetic engineering etc., if we are smart enough to understand the opportunity.

We are a part of the universe and should behave according to it's laws, rather than thinking that these laws don't apply to us and we can do what we want.
Actually, the universe will behave according to its laws. The question is whether we will survive.

One day we will run out of resources, will have killed off all the competition for these resources and killed the earth's eco-system in the process. Sorry, felt like a rant.

The Undecided.:)
Not a bad rant really, if indeed we have a soul, I hope it helps us survive. :)

You are right, this is a very unsophisticated way of thinking.

I think we will have some opportunities to correct our ways, genetic engineering etc., if we are smart enough to understand the opportunity.

Actually, the universe will behave according to its laws. The question is whether we will survive.

Not a bad rant really, if indeed we have a soul, I hope it helps us survive. :)
The number of the beast is 666 it is a number of man. Look up 666 in genetics research you will see it is indeed a number of man, and maybe you wont place your faith in genetics. Long life is possible, no sickness is possible, unending resources do surround us. But if fassioned by our own hands in ignorance of the father, it is only another tower of babylon. These high places we achieve only bring us low when we dont acknowledge our father. Carefull examination of history and our hearts prove this.

If we are Souls having a physical experience, and not just physical people walking around with a soul, somewhere, somehow ... that certainly puts a different perspective on things. ;)
A perfect representation of ourselves remains in the all. We have a dorment being inside the father where there is no deficit. We, however, remain mostly blind to this our entire lives, stumbling about blindly. When by grace we recieve the resurection to a new life, we become somewhat aware of this. As we progress in truth and love, the two grow more and more intwined, until the two are married as one. This new being will recieve a new name and a new creation in eternity. Until then we are only piloting this flesh, but for most it guides them. Seperate yourself from the things of the flesh and recieve the ressurection. Be born again.

Christianity is not as it is portrayed. It is much differant than the worlds ideas. These christians today are apostate. They have fallen asleep. Please forgive them, for they gnow not what they do. May grace abound, may brother love brother, may father bind himself to son and mother to daughter. May we be patient and long suffering as the father is. May the fire of our love not be quenched by the waters of deception, so that truth may soar. May we see by the light of the lord and not thelight of the world. May the KINGDOM OF OUR LORD be made manifest in our generation, even so lord, come quickly.

Okay, I've read through the posts and I have a question, and I want your honest opinions (which I will get whether I invite it or not /lol). I am aware of my 'condition' as a son of man, but I am not so sure that I am privy to the condition of my 'soul' even as a son of God. That does not seem odd to me since I am not fully aware of the spiritual side of my own nature though I often find myself balancing on the edge of both. In my mind, the material presence cannot toally inhabit the spiritual dimension, or as we often put it, the Kingdom of Heaven. Several of the people in our church (and I am an ordained Elder) think that my soul is in danger because I do not often pray aloud, and I do not openly pray for myself or for the forgiveness of my sins. The Lord I worship is fully aware of my faults and forgiveness is His realm, not mine. My trust is totally in Him! I pray for others and I spend 24/7 in prayer whether consciously or not. In my mind, the Christian ethic that has so many individuals seeking their personal salvation, is about as selfish as one can get! Jesus taught us, selflessness, not the seeking of our own safety or reward. I pray to the glory of God, for His presence in my life, and the power He has given me to reach out to Him for others. Since I know I have a soul, would you consider that my actions have placed my soul in jeapordy?

Based on what you say..........no.
But I am in no position to judge.
I also think similar in that God sees and knows each person and component of all creation and so knows your heart better than even you do.
That is why even an inarticulate expression of emotion is better understood by God than our finest speech, as the former comes from the heart and not the intellect.

Primal scream therapy is good for the soul.

Namaste all,

Jarrett, the blessing of this country is we get to decide when we wish to be preached to, we go and pick our temple and our pew. As for me if you wish to continue to preach, I'll continue to ignore your posts altogether. However if you'd like to discuss a topic I may give you another glance.

Victor, love your contemplations and from what you say and in my understanings you are on a righteous path. Contemplation is a wonderful thing.

Okay, I've read through the posts and I have a question, and I want your honest opinions (which I will get whether I invite it or not /lol). I am aware of my 'condition' as a son of man, but I am not so sure that I am privy to the condition of my 'soul' even as a son of God. That does not seem odd to me since I am not fully aware of the spiritual side of my own nature though I often find myself balancing on the edge of both. In my mind, the material presence cannot toally inhabit the spiritual dimension, or as we often put it, the Kingdom of Heaven. Several of the people in our church (and I am an ordained Elder) think that my soul is in danger because I do not often pray aloud, and I do not openly pray for myself or for the forgiveness of my sins. The Lord I worship is fully aware of my faults and forgiveness is His realm, not mine. My trust is totally in Him! I pray for others and I spend 24/7 in prayer whether consciously or not. In my mind, the Christian ethic that has so many individuals seeking their personal salvation, is about as selfish as one can get! Jesus taught us, selflessness, not the seeking of our own safety or reward. I pray to the glory of God, for His presence in my life, and the power He has given me to reach out to Him for others. Since I know I have a soul, would you consider that my actions have placed my soul in jeapordy?
not me brother, he that seeks to save his life in this world will lose it. He that gives his life will gain life eternaly. Furthermore if Christ died once for all sins, why would you continue to nail him to the cross. You have been chosen friend. The lord commanded his servant to put a mark of protection on his chosen ones, before the other angels that are prepared for destruction go into the world. Why do we get marked by God? Well, it is written in the book of Ezekiel, place a mark upon the head of those people whom cry out and groan at the ways of the world and the depravity of man. This mark is given to those whom see the lie. It is given to those who see the modern day christian church for what it is, the harlot prophisied of in the book of revelattion. You gnow, the one that goes through the world devouring the true children of God. You may now find yourself surrounded by those harlots that would place before themselves many teachers, always seeking the truth but never knowing it. They lack the truth because of the traditions of there fathers. They are apostate. Wake up friend. Trim your lamp. straiten your path. Recieve the resurection now and be born again. The kingdom if heaven is it hand, in your heart, focus on love, and you will see it manifest.

Namaste all,

Jarrett, the blessing of this country is we get to decide when we wish to be preached to, we go and pick our temple and our pew. As for me if you wish to continue to preach, I'll continue to ignore your posts altogether. However if you'd like to discuss a topic I may give you another glance.

Victor, love your contemplations and from what you say and in my understanings you are on a righteous path. Contemplation is a wonderful thing.
The words make you feel preached to. The thoughts make you feel preached to. The emotions they give make you feel preached to. I......... do not make you feel preached to. You would take my words and call them preaching, what would you say has influenced you in your life? Are those things not put together in some way just like preaching? Your opinions, to another may be in opposition to that persons idea of truth, if you discuss this with that person , are you preaching? Obviously i have strayed some way from the protocal of this forum. I am not well recieved and many reject me. However i gnew this would be the case for me in the entire world so to find it here in this community is not a surprise. It is written, " he that is in darkness will reject the light and remain in darkness". I guess the darkness is a more comfortable place to one whos eyes have not yet adjusted to the light. Oh by the way, before you told me, i did not know you were ignoring me. Why did you tell me? Was it an attempt to put me in my place? It is fine if you ignore me, in fact please do.

I will tell you a story. Once there was an infant born who was terribly ill. The Angels came to take his soul but The Lord said, "No! Let him be. I know his name and he is Mine. I will have use for him later." That's when it all started. Mastoids require surgery, this lad had them in both ears. His mother, however, placed him in a lab test with forty-nine other children. The liquid worked on only one... the child of our story. At nine it was discovered that he was a child prodigy in music. With no lessons and never having seen a note of music in his life, he played with a well-known symphony orchestra for three years sitting second-seat solo chair in the French Horn section. At the age of eleven the visions began. His parents punished him for scribbling in his reference book, two eliptical orbits with two electrons and four positrons. He scribbled them everywhere. Five years later, at the age of sixteen, he was wearing that symbol on his arm as an Electronics Technician in the U.S. Navy. While retiring after a mid-watch one morning, he climbed into his 'rack' (bed) and saw a cat jump across his chest. In a half-wakened state he peered over the edge of his bed and found himself looking onto a darkened ocean beach. In the vision that followed, he saw three faces, three men murdered whose names he did not know but whose faces were burned into his memory. He knew them when they met their deaths years later; President John F Kennedy, Bobby Kennedy, and Rev Martin Luther King Jr. His vision occured in 1954. Later he had many visions, all of which came true in their time. None of them failed to become reality... ever. A simple example was one he had of a young woman walking down a long beach, holding the hand of a young child. The beach was lined with dozens of naval vessels of all types. Five years later he married her, and their son entered the Navy where he served with honor for twenty-eight years. Only twice was he so terrified by the evil of his visions that they ended in seizures from which he recovered after long minutes. This same person has had waking visions. He has stood in the presence of God Almighty, asked to serve him though he was deeply religious and churched already. He said yes, and saw the walls of the church closed behind him. For twenty-six years he studied alone, guided by God's Holy Spirit. He almost lost his wife and children back then, but has come away with a knowledge and love of God that few can compare with. His stature in the Spiritual realm is constantly increased by the presence of God's Spirit, and the shadows of Angels are always around him. He has seen God's Garden and been saved from absolutely certain death so often that he suffers from 'survivor's guilt'. Twice, head-on collisions have turned into empty roads with no accidents, and no other cars in sight as the physical world was changed to save his life. When he totalled his motorcycle and thrown into the air, arms held him up, carried him across a two lane road, and laid him gently onto a grass lawn. In 2008 he began to have a repetitive dream of water rising into the hills, flooding everything, chasing him through mountain roads, houses, woods, to escape the coming flood. The condition of this planet is obvious; it is irreversible, it will come to pass VERY shortly. And this Christmas Eve he prayed and had a vision that lasted four days, waking and sleeping. Four words awakened him to the future of our world, a future no more than thirty-five to fourty years away. The Holy Spirit looked at him with sadness, almost sorrow, and she said; "There's a terrible storm coming!"

I am that child and my mortality is so limited that it is time to tell you this story. Take the warning for what you will. What you read here only touches the surface of my life, one of constantly turbulent waters.....
twenty thirty seven, that is 2037. 3 times i say woe to the coast lands.

Back