Anne Rice is leaving Christianity

Nick the Pilot

Reaction score
Novelist Anne Rice says she's leaving Christianity - Yahoo! News-

NEW YORK – Anne Rice has had a religious conversion: She's no longer a Christian.

"In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control," the author wrote Wednesday on her Facebook page. "In the name of ... Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen."

I think that "anti-movement' is a fascinating term. What I like is when people are able to get and walk out of a religion that does not work for them. (I did it several times, until I found exactly what I was looking for.) Yes, it is one thing to stick to a religion, and some people say that any religion will take us where we are going, don't sweat the small stuff. I admire such a philosophy, but I also admire someone who has the guts to say, "This religion stinks, I'm outta here," and walks out the door. We have to give full credit to both philosophies.

If the religion stinks, but it is about peace? Then you musn't be looking at it right, so change your perception and ways no? I mean, just.. Change it. Isn't that why there are so many denomination of it? People find certain goods in it to focus on? Or something along those lines.

religion pretty much does stink, but Christianity is not supposed to be a religion as such, its supposed to be a love relationship with God, most people dont get that.

religion is a curse IMO.

Some very good posts here.

I can half see her point....but only half.

As half (well maybe not half of the heirarchy, but over half of the followers) are not anti-gay, anti-feminist, anti-artificial birth control.

There are plenty of vocal Christians who are. Of course there are plenty of vocal humans who are. Is she ready to quit humanity? There are plenty of vocal women who are, is she ready to quit femininity?

Many if not most Catholics do not agree with the Church or the Popes stand on birth control, female priests, married priests, and gays.

The Episcopalian, Anglican church just had a rift over this, and a gang of them left and proved they were of the camp she wishes not to be of.

The 'church' (not refering just to Catholics) changes slowly...and it has been slowly changing in a direction she'd like it to take.

Of course if every person of her mindset left....it is a self fullfilling prophecy...as what would be left would be anti-gay, anti-feminist, anti-artificial birth control.

Letter to Anne: One question....WWJD?

Didn't she write Queen of the Damned? :p (I'm just ribbing you Anne.)

The truth is that there are many Christians the probably don't treat Anne as if she's a Christian, because she has written some vampire fiction. Its like, she's sort of already an outcast if she goes to the wrong church, plus she holds some unpopular views on gays etc. Probably this leaving is not going to be very difficult for her.

Anne is every bit the narrow-minded bigot that she claims to reject, since there are certainly fairly sizable Christian groups that would agree with every point she has made. However, since she's just a reactionary bigot who compulsively seeks attention, she would rather make a juvenile display than find one of the Christian groups who would agree with her. Her knee-jerk Goth fans probably would rather see her reject Christianity entirely, too, making this a business decision.

Anne is every bit the narrow-minded bigot that she claims to reject, since there are certainly fairly sizable Christian groups that would agree with every point she has made. However, since she's just a reactionary bigot who compulsively seeks attention, she would rather make a juvenile display than find one of the Christian groups who would agree with her. Her knee-jerk Goth fans probably would rather see her reject Christianity entirely, too, making this a business decision.
Seems you made just about the same point as I did, but you were able to put it in a much more Christian way. Mine just lacked the total condemnation of folks that believe another way.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Mine just lacked the total condemnation of folks that believe another way."

--> Well said! The first step in any interfaith discussion is showing a respect for the other person's beliefs.

Seems you made just about the same point as I did, but you were able to put it in a much more Christian way. Mine just lacked the total condemnation of folks that believe another way.

I openly speak and don't put on a false mask of "enlightened superiority". Shes attention whoring, plain and simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
NiceCupOfTea,

I think the trick here is for people on both sides to be able to see things from the other person's point of view. When people start doing that, we will all 'get' it.

Hmm, for me her whole uber christian thing was weird. I thought that maybe writing the Christ the lord books had got her interested in the faith of her childhood again or something. Meh, I don't care. I mean, lol, she wrote something on her facebook page and everyone just goes crazy. Makes me mighty glad I'm not famous.

I just think she's a really good writer. As long as she doesn't quit that, I'm good.

NiceCupOfTea,

I think the trick here is for people on both sides to be able to see things from the other person's point of view. When people start doing that, we will all 'get' it.

what sides are those ?

and you never can you might use your imagination and pretend but you will never know what it like, and besides how is what you said a reply to my post ?

Back