The New Superbug

Indeed - we also have a problem that hospital wards in the UK used to be managed by a "matron" to ensure proper standards of care and hygiene. They are long gone. Therefore infection gets into the wards through poor hygiene and even care practices. Had a friend go into hospital for open knee surgery - when she was wheeled out, was put in a bed beside someone infected with a superbug but not isolated. Silly practice.

In the USA, a major task of "orderlies" at one time was to ensure clean conditions. The "floor nurse" (probably like the UK's "matron") was to oversee this (in addition to the nurses on her floor). These practices have largely been abandoned with the adoption of antibiotics and one-use medical equipment. As long ago as a decade, studies were done that showed that inadequate sanitation would be a severe risk in US hospitals. The studies were ignored, since keeping up sanitation would have required spending more on staff (and less on fancy gadgets). Likewise, doctors were resistant to mere nurses telling them to wash their hands and change their exam coats.

The hens are coming home to roost on both sides of the Atlantic.

In the USA, a major task of "orderlies" at one time was to ensure clean conditions. The "floor nurse" (probably like the UK's "matron") was to oversee this (in addition to the nurses on her floor). These practices have largely been abandoned with the adoption of antibiotics and one-use medical equipment. As long ago as a decade, studies were done that showed that inadequate sanitation would be a severe risk in US hospitals. The studies were ignored, since keeping up sanitation would have required spending more on staff (and less on fancy gadgets). Likewise, doctors were resistant to mere nurses telling them to wash their hands and change their exam coats.

The hens are coming home to roost on both sides of the Atlantic.
Then common sense dictates that if one doesn't clean house, one assuredly will have vermin. That in itself calls for bringing in the "maid", especially if one doesn't have time to do it themselves.

Then common sense dictates that if one doesn't clean house, one assuredly will have vermin. That in itself calls for bringing in the "maid", especially if one doesn't have time to do it themselves.

The religion of Mammonism does not permit common sense.

So, avian and swine flu's were exploiting da birdies and teh piggies?

Dey have been used! Poor little things.

I would have to read about this when I've just come down with something...

Maybe I'm the first US occurrence!

... BTW, I'm blaming the cough medicine for this post...

the super-bug fear has money in it to, no? the avian and swine flu's dint quite wipe-out the population like we were led to believe they might. if my understanding is correct then the majority of the population already carry mrsa and numerous other potentially deadly microbes; we are surrounded by them. my feeling is that the problem is more to do with the fact that whilst in hospital, you are already there trying to heal and so your immune system is way taxed as is, add toxic forming pharmaceuticals into the mix and microbes "hanging" around and boff....i think the chinese hospitals that combine acupuncture etc with conventional techniques are the way forward...

here's a few scary stats 225,000 americans die yearly due inherent toxicity of drugs and surgery gaffs

treatment as is, is the biggest killer...

The thing about capitalism is that only the things that pay end up getting done.
So it wears a clean suit, but has dirty underpants.

The thing about capitalism is that only the things that pay end up getting done.
So it wears a clean suit, but has dirty underpants.

Let's see, what does some book that is beloved by "religious nuts" say about that attitude?

"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs which on the outside appear beautiful, but inside they are full of dead men's bones and all uncleanness." Matthew 23:27

Let's see, what does some book that is beloved by "religious nuts" say about that attitude?

"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs which on the outside appear beautiful, but inside they are full of dead men's bones and all uncleanness." Matthew 23:27

Yup, different times, same BS.

Funny thing, though, the scribes and Pharisees weren't capitalists. They were part of a system that included a great deal of state-sponsored "programs", just with religious overtones on the laws.

I think I've read somewhere that the 4th leading cause of death in the US is not published because it is actually....medical care.

That a huge percentage of folks that enter a hospital leave with something they didn't have when they went in.

Stay healthy, avoid hospitalization...

I think I've read somewhere that the 4th leading cause of death in the US is not published because it is actually....medical care.

That a huge percentage of folks that enter a hospital leave with something they didn't have when they went in.

Stay healthy, avoid hospitalization...

They are not the friends of the people. The people seems to be merely wealth creation mechanisms to them.
They are, however, to serve the people by keeping people in optimum health.
This, is not their agenda though according to the evidence.

The Medical industry should be a non-profit sector, as it is in the best interests of society as a whole to have everyone functioning at peak capacity. Functioning being the primary and peak capacity being next.
(unless there are other agendas afoot).

"super-bug" is a misnomer. it's been named so because it adapted rapidly to the changes in the environment. all of us change as well. what's different is that we evolve slower. "super" is such a vague term. don't worry, you want "super" powers? wait for atleast a century to evolve. :)

I like the way the media tell us of the latest threat. We were all going to be swiped out with Sars, Bird flu, Swine flu and then Swine flu again at the beginning of this year and we're all still here. I'm still trying to get some time of with the Millenium bug. As for the New Super Bug, the media never seem to get things right, I woudn't worry about it.

Back