My spiritual beliefs - what does this make me?

Your still in flux - its called searching. However you might want to pray this. May the God of all things visible and invisible, the God of love reveal the truth to me.

Continuing on into the fog... I would like to hear other folks try to describe (not define, necessarily) what they mean by "God". It's really difficult, at least for me.

It's difficult for me too.

When I think of what God means, I think God is a name applying to Its existence . . . which can't be comprehended. However, It comprehends us and I believe It exists. There are different levels of reality (mineral, plant, animal, man) and It embraces and comprehends all realities below and above ours. I think this is the "fog" we are describing, just as the plant couldn't comprehend the senses we possess. All is foggy to it. How does it comprehend the effects we produce on it?

How do we comprehend the effects It produces on us?

I think your beliefs are very consistent with those that are taught in the Science of Mind. I am a Science of Mind minister and I teach many of the ideas that you have expressed. Science of Mind is more of a spiritual way of life rather than a rigid religious organization.

Namaste pghguy,

As to the thoughts you expressed on the OP, big hugz.
Actually, this very evening, I think, correction I know, I experienced some sort of wonderful revelation. It was like euphoria and totally amazing.

No. I realized that it's about living a life based on love. Which, in many ways, transcends religious sects.
Why I am glad you answered that.

Yes, that is what we all seek, we all seek to feel, we all seek to give love. When someone is acting out....they are screaming they need love, need to feel loved. goosebumps, thanx, love it.

As to the answer of your thread title you are you.

And at the risk of being shot.... I'd say you could say "I am that I am" as could we all.

I see you as comfortable in your shoes, and there are many like you. Those that have boxes that they wish to put people in don't like the free thinking, experiential exposure to spirituality...but that is their issue not ours.

The only concept of yours I have is this individual v. collective connection...I say yes we have an individual connection, but that connection is to the collective. We are all one.

Last edited:
I think your beliefs are very consistent with those that are taught in the Science of Mind. I am a Science of Mind minister and I teach many of the ideas that you have expressed. Science of Mind is more of a spiritual way of life rather than a rigid religious organization.
Welcome Rev...I love it, some more new thought to the forum. Please take part, I'm a Unitic and fellow traveler. I think folks here will be interested in your input, comments on treatments, and of course challenge some of your thoughts as well.

This is a great place to absorb what folks are thinking about their spiritual nature. We've got some incredible thinkers from all denominations and religions, and some darn smart atheists and agnostics as well.

Brother Pghguy, we are imperfect and no one can find the truth without guidance, so don't try to find a religion which is suitable to your beliefs because many of those beliefs could be wrong. Ask for God's guidance, and search for the real truth, the logical one, the one which can answer all of your questions and the one which has solutions to all of the problems of mankind. The Creator wouldn't create us and create this world for us, and then leave us without telling us how to live in this world and how to solve our problems. Just ask God's guidance sincerely, and search, and you will surely find the truth.

"...don't try to find a religion which is suitable to your beliefs because many of those beliefs could be wrong."

--> I spent decades looking for a religion. I "kicked the tires" of most religions around, but nothing really fit. Then, one day, BOOM, I found exactly what I was looking for. I advise everyone not to 'settle for' a religion that is 'okay,' but something that really fits the person. I think everyone can fit a religion that really fits them well.

--> I spent decades looking for a religion. I "kicked the tires" of most religions around, but nothing really fit. Then, one day, BOOM, I found exactly what I was looking for. I advise everyone not to 'settle for' a religion that is 'okay,' but something that really fits the person. I think everyone can fit a religion that really fits them well.
I rather think to point, emphasised in most (if not all) religions, is rising above oneself to meet it, rather than finding one that's convenient and suits one's sense of comfortability?

In effect, are you not looking for a religion that affirms you as you already are, rather than finding something that draws you to aspire to something ...?

There is a story of a seeker who arrived at the ashram of Sri Ramana Maharshi who, much like yourself had read this philosophy and that, and 'kicked the tyres' of all religions. "What way should I go now?" He asked, to which the Maharshi replied, "Back the way you came."

Again, the Dalai Lama had a conversation with a seeker who wanted to convert from Christianity, on which point the venerable old man replied "If you think the fault is with Christianity, you are wrong, the fault is with yourself."

It seems to me you're looking for a religion that shows you not an image of who you might be, but offers up a mirror to what you already are?

Just a comment on your post ...

Thomas

I rather think to point, emphasised in most (if not all) religions, is rising above oneself to meet it, rather than finding one that's convenient and suits one's sense of comfortability?

In effect, are you not looking for a religion that affirms you as you already are, rather than finding something that draws you to aspire to something ...?

I see what you are saying, doubting Thomas! I do think it is a two way street though.

I have never been able to accept the existence of any creator deity and so in the past would have described myself as an atheist, and had rejected the religion which I had ostensibly been brought up in. What I have “found” has certainly changed me. I “found” it (by accident) because it sat well with my already existing understanding of “how the world works”. But since that “first contact” I have been changed by it (but not uncritically). Without it I would have remained simply an atheist who had rejected Christianity. I no longer would describe myself as an atheist. Christianity is not “at fault” here, it is simply not the paradigm for me, by which I can create my path. I am richer for having found my gold, I don’t see that I have gone wrong in that sense. :)

s.

I see what you are saying, doubting Thomas! I do think it is a two way street though.
Indeed, but the point is to remember who — or what — is in the driving seat. I would have thought a certain degree of humility towards 'it', whatever it might be, would be in order.

What I have “found” has certainly changed me.
There is an old saying that goes: 'The tradition finds the person'.

... (but not uncritically).
Oooh, Snoopy! That can conceal a multitude of sins ...

... but interestingly ... does 'the Way' every have the right to require the seeker to suspend judgement? To demand, if only for a while, that one put to one side one's critical faculties? Or must the Way always fulfil our expectation?

I would say all the Great Traditions ... all make this demand upon the seeker, whether it's called discipleship, student, acolyte; the role of guru, director, geront, staretz, whatever ... at some point makes the ultimate demand of the seeker. Most seekers spend their time looking for ways to circumvent this dimension of development, which, of course, is doing the very thing the process is there to confront ... control the ego.

Christianity is not “at fault” here, it is simply not the paradigm for me ...
You mean love is not for you? Divine Union? ... or humility, detachment?

I hear what you're saying, and know you well enough to read beyond the words ... It's not what you say, someone said to me, but what you say says ...

by which I can create my path. I am richer for having found my gold, I don’t see that I have gone wrong in that sense. :)
I think it's a huge assumption to say 'create my path' on the basis that the phrase intimates that no path was there before, therefore what one is creating is 'new' with regard to where the path leads, which ends up a bit of a contradiction.

I would say one finds one's way along the Way, and each assumes, quite wrongly, that he and she walks alone, and uniquely so, or creates one's way ... in a contingent context of course, we do ... but human nature is human nature, and in that sense we are none of us unique.

If there is a path, then there has to be the object of the path, and the object should, realistically, determine the nature of the path. How we cope with the experience of such is our own journey, and cannot be taken away ... but I would suggest that walking the way, and creating the way, are two different things, and the latter is beyond us, unless we are the equal of God.

I think the fact that we can tell ourselves we create our own path, tells us something quite profound about the Creator ...

Thomas

Indeed, but the point is to remember who — or what — is in the driving seat. I would have thought a certain degree of humility towards 'it', whatever it might be, would be in order.

oooohhh squirm....I think that is a reflection of a certain difference between us...(not the humility bit :p)

There is an old saying that goes: 'The tradition finds the person'.
Yes, it was bordering on spooky, with hindsight!

Oooh, Snoopy! That can conceal a multitude of sins ...
You Catholics and your sins :p

... but interestingly ... does 'the Way' every have the right to require the seeker to suspend judgement? To demand, if only for a while, that one put to one side one's critical faculties? Or must the Way always fulfil our expectation?
I do, have and will always suspend judgment...to a degree....and for a time...

I would say all the Great Traditions ... all make this demand upon the seeker, whether it's called discipleship, student, acolyte; the role of guru, director, geront, staretz, whatever ... at some point makes the ultimate demand of the seeker. Most seekers spend their time looking for ways to circumvent this dimension of development, which, of course, is doing the very thing the process is there to confront ... control the ego.
I hear you. Know the story of the professor that went to learn zen from the master? The master poured the tea until the professor's cup overflowed. "How can I teach you zen when your head is already full of your own opinions...?"

You mean love is not for you? Divine Union? ... or humility, detachment?
For me? No to the Divine because there is nothing holy, no to the Union or detachment because there is no separation. Otherwise, yes. :)

s.

Snoopy,

You said,

"...I am richer for having found my gold..."

--> Good for you!

"Christianity is not “at fault” here, it is simply not the paradigm for me..."

--> There are different kinds of people, so we need different kinds of religions. There is no such thing as a "one kind fits all" religion. (Christianity says it is a "one kind fits all" religion and I disagree.)

"...don't try to find a religion which is suitable to your beliefs because many of those beliefs could be wrong."

There is a story of a seeker who arrived at the ashram of Sri Ramana Maharshi who, much like yourself had read this philosophy and that, and 'kicked the tyres' of all religions. "What way should I go now?" He asked, to which the Maharshi replied, "Back the way you came."

Again, the Dalai Lama had a conversation with a seeker who wanted to convert from Christianity, on which point the venerable old man replied "If you think the fault is with Christianity, you are wrong, the fault is with yourself."

It seems to me you're looking for a religion that shows you not an image of who you might be, but offers up a mirror to what you already are?

Just a comment on your post ...

Thomas
Is there always a difference?

Who is to say the religion you are drawn to does not challenge you to discover your higher self. Does not make you want to connect with source more?

I completely agree with not settling. And not being stuck in whatever you were raised in, the religion of your family as the be all end all. I wandered in the desert, in the wilderness for decades before I found my promised land. A group of like minded people, a group of people that did want to learn, not to be told what to think. A group of people who were willing to turn over rocks, no sacred scripture, no wrong questions, complete exploration of faith and spirituality.

I was at home, never thought I'd find it, and it challenges me daily.

I completely agree with not settling. And not being stuck in whatever you were raised in, the religion of your family as the be all end all.

not everyone is free to choose their religion on fear of the death.

I think it's a huge assumption to say 'create my path' on the basis that the phrase intimates that no path was there before, therefore what one is creating is 'new' with regard to where the path leads, which ends up a bit of a contradiction.

For me, the path is created by me and is new because of all the phenomena in the universe there has only ever been, briefly, this thing I call “me”. Path is a traditional term but a little misleading as there is nowhere to lead to.

I think the fact that we can tell ourselves we create our own path, tells us something quite profound about the Creator ...
So I shall defer to our difference of outlook here I think. Thank you for this sharing. :)

s.

Wil,

You found a religion that actually encourages questions? That's great! I was soundly admonished for asking questions in my church when I was a teenager.

not everyone is free to choose their religion on fear of the death.
And that is a shame. It is exactly what folks left England for... In the early state of Virgina however everyone was still required to attend the Anglican Church. They had to come into town at least once a month to be recorded as having attended church service....thank G!d we've gotten beyond that.

Catholics are still compelled to go to mass every week, under the threat of hell and damnation. Now don't jump on me if this isn't doctrine....as it is what they believe.

We've had Amish and Menonites here who have been banished, for their non belief, ostracized from their families for not following their parents way....so much for love your neighbor....

I was just moments ago speaking to a friend whose girlfriend is troubled regularly by her parents and siblings, because she is not practicing her Mormon upbringings and her family tells her they are sad she will not be with them in heaven.

And yes, countries like Iran which we know abuses Bahai, and Saudi Arabia, which doesn't allow a Christian Church or service or prayer...

Amazing that we can continue down this road....

I'd like to say I honor and respect all beliefs....but I do have issues with beliefs that don't allow others this freedom...hypocrisy I know.

Snoopy,

You said,

"Path is a traditional term but a little misleading as there is nowhere to lead to."

--> I like the approach that Buddhists take. They are not really worried where they came from on the path or where they are going to on the path. But they are very focused on what they can do right here, right now, to make progress along that path. It is more a matter of making progress than worrying where that progress will take us.

"not everyone is free to choose their religion on fear of the death."

--> Yes they are. Or do you mean people who cannot leave because a gun is being held up to their heads?

Some people feel unable to leave because of an 'inner hysteria,' but such inner hysteria can be cured through counseling.

Back