how did you come to believe or follow a religion?

S

susiesnooz

Hello peeps

my name is susie and i'm a photography student. I am currently working on a project about religion. more specifically how did oneself become to believe in god/ follow a religion. was it through an experience or an event. I wanted to hear stories or experiences off people who were non-believers at first and then came to believe. or even who were believers but became non-believers anf the reason why.

this came about when my dad died a few years ago. my mum turned to buddhism to help her cope and become at peace with it and she was a non-believer before.

I myself am a non-believer but have an interest on this subject but would love to hear them.

@mods i'm not sure if this was the right section to discuss this matter, so if its in the wrong section please move. thank you

I decided to read the Bible well some of it, Bob Marley said a chapter a day is the Rasta Way, so I thought it would be worth a read as its only the most popular book ever written, anyway I was going through some hard times and reading the Bible and praying and God spoke to me, I was just lying there and I heard this voice saying "I love you, I have always been with you and you never need to be alone again", that was it really.

Suzie, still on my Journey, not arrived yet, will let you know if I get there. Should start a journal now I guess.
NiceCupOfTea - I would love to hear the 'voice', it never happens.

Hi, Suzie. The first part of my journey starts with an experience when I was three. Standing in the doughnut shop with my mother, I found myself quite drawn into another world ... which I would only come to understand almost twenty years later. In retrospect, I believe it was a Tibetan Buddhist Master, plus his large group of students, who included me in a very significant event ~ 1975 ~ affecting all of Humanity.

I also remember as a child somehow just knowing that there was nothing to fear, or worry about when it came to UFOs. And although I have certainly never gotten into any religion or spiritual practice that directly involves trying to make contact with people from other worlds, I came to accept that our planet has always been visited - and assisted by them.

Another thing that stuck with me for years, originally in an understandably unpleasant way, was when my cat was struck by a car. Often times kids are exposed to death in this way and at an early age. I was very upset by it, and I didn't have any intuitive understanding in the least regarding how death works. Nor had anyone bothered to explain it, since so few people know ... especially at places like Christian churches, or in religious circles.

So it became significant to me in later years when I was able to remember 2 or 3 figures kind of huddled around the spot in the road where my kitty `bit it,' and I realized they'd always been there, sort of in a dream or maybe in an ongoing, constant waking vision. I met two of those people, and had meaningful relationships with each of them, at different times. If there was a third figure, I have yet to know who it was, for certain, but it is a very interesting experience finally meeting not one, but two different people who have been with you, as it were, for 15 or 20 years ... subjectively like that. It all makes good sense now, but if you'd tried to explain to me in the interim who those people were, I'd never have understood it, and it might have even freaked me out.

The other event I vividly recall from childhood, at least in this one occasion, was an out of body experience. My folks were at a cocktail party, I was across the street staying with neighbors, and I was asleep. I floated out, past a beautiful, soft white streetlamp which was both soothing and full of symbolic suggestion (even for a 2-yr old) ... and crossed the street to go in through my bedroom window and get my parents. I went to the side of the bed where I expected to get Mom out for play (children do this as a given), but she wan't there! :eek:

So, I panicked, I remember being yanked back or jerked into my body at great rapidity (across the street is no distance at all; it occurred in a snap!) ... and I was sick, threw up or something. That's not the only out-of-body experience I've had, but since that one was at about two years old, I can't help laughing at people who like to say these things are imagined, or are just lucid dreams, etc. Of course they're lucid dreams! Why the heck do you think it freaks some folks out when we realize just how different parts of the astral plane are! If only we could set aside such crap as the psychologists, and plenty of religious cranks have filled our heads with all these years. Sometimes, our experience is most definitely the best teacher.

Still, even with all these experiences happening as a child, I was never given a good outlet to explore the paranormal, or the occult, or anything much at all outside of what kind of nonsense they preach at you in Sunday School. And hey, I mean I was even going to a small, Lutheran church, where most folks are a whole lot more open-minded than the kind of zealots I would encounter 10 or 15 years later. Besides, it's all very positive being taught things about God's Love ... even if most of the folks there really can't help you in the least with questions like, "What happens when we die?" ~ or, "What's this Holy Spirit business all about?"

So, with parents who wanted me to go to church, and both of whom had that in their past experience as a `given,' I pretty much got that kind of exposure until I was 13 or so and decided to just screw it. At that point, I slept in on Sunday mornings and realized there were much better uses for my time than participating in a bunch of mindless rituals which, at that stage of my life, were already kind of outworn and unproductive. I did return to an appreciation for, and belief in Christian Teaching several years later, but it was only after I learned how to cut through much of the CRAP ... and realized that what Christ actually taught has little resemblance to the `Churchianity' which today bears His stamp, but only dimly hearkens to His Inspiration.

I remained a rationalist and a thinker, and when I was 17 I began to have a whole new type of experience which I look at as recapitulation of certain developments from previous lifetimes. I was already well aware by that age of the memories of a lifetime that ended abruptly in Vietnam in 1968, '69 or '70. I knew that I'd only spent a few years in the `in-between,' and I even used to have something like *conversations* with `the me who I had been,' although as a child I had my very own way of understanding that [guy] and relating to him.

It wasn't always entirely pleasant, or positive, and while technically I was kind of haunted, it was never intentionally nightmarish ... or meant to frighten. After all, that person was already reincarnate, and what was technically taking place was the usage by the Soul, for positive purposes, of a still semi-ensouled *shell* ... so I maintained a type of relationship with, or understanding of that aspect of my [prior] consciousness during much of my childhood. By the time I was a teenager it was important enough to take different measures, so ~ with much help from the Inner worlds ~ I was assisted in doing something like integrating that aspect of my being into the current personality equipment.

This did not include, at first, the simultaneous integration of another `presence' which had been with me since childhood ... also since about 2 or 3 years old. I played with a little plastic model of a Knight Templar, given to me by my parents, having been brought from Portugal where they had visited on their honeymoon. I have the reproduction of that model today, since I lost the original, and since it was so meaningful to me 35 years ago.

The Knight, whom I would only come to fully understand nearly twenty years later, was another method by which the Soul ~ and positive spiritual influences ~ was/were able to reach me from early on. I never recall quite the same thing as what we call conversations, or anything out loud and exactly verbal, especially since, naturally enough, the knight himself would only have been able to speak French ... as well as I can guess. And again, this is a thoughtform, not a projection, with a much less astrally-mired `shell' as was the case with my other childhood *friend*.

So I came to have some contact, at 17 or so, with this Knight Templar who was so familiar to me from childhood, and I was able to learn who he was (or who my Soul was incarnated as) ... and the understanding was fairly mature and almost entirely productive. This was something like a guardian angel I suppose, and the Knight remained `with' me until about age 21, when I had a waking vision of him in the Botanical Gardens at UNC Asheville in college. He rode up, he placed a symbolic sword into the ground in front of me rather dramatically, raised up on the hind legs of his horse ... and rode off. That was the end of the Knight in any kind of direct encounter, memory or experience in my life ~ because certainly, prior to that, I would often enough remember *being* this man (in about his 50s) from 12th Century France.

This is really still, in many ways, just the beginning ... because, at age 17 or 18, I had my first exposure to Buddhism. I saw a book at work, in the library, entitled, Being Peace, by Thich Nhat Hanh. I read it, and doors began to open. Soon I was encountering books on Theosophy, some of which were strange, and certainly difficult to comprehend at first ... but I soon came to accept that what was happening was simply a RE-awakening, and by no means the first encounter of my mind and spirit with these sorts of teachings. Within the next few years, and on through graduate school, I was able to recall various memories from the past 6 or 7 incarnations, almost in an unbroken stream.

The astral plane, while not exactly an entire, fully understood or conscious experience for me, is most definitely one of continuity, with the acceptance that we live a much, much fuller life in that domain, broken only by our loss of awareness as we return to outer, physical brain awareness ... THIS world being the only thing like `DEATH' which actually occurs.

So I recall death, in its most recent visit, and I have a decent idea of how I was greeted a few other times, if certain specific details now escape me. But hey, I never really ASKED for any of this, or visited psychics, or meditated to try and remember. I believe, and I KNOW, that all of LIFE, and each & every one of the Infinite, myriad Lives in Cosmos, has [a] Purpose, and meaning. So, I try to be patient, and always smile, and use diplomacy when speaking with people who don't see things the same way. :)

I do at times become passionate about things; after all, I find it a burden sometimes to remind myself, "Not everyone has had the same experiences, even if I have now known many hundreds of people, plenty of them Westerners and Christians, who can accept everything I've said in this post!" Yes, we are all learning about what each other believes, and why, and I'm glad you started this thread inviting folks to discuss it!

My path, while I would have called it `Buddhist' from about age 18 to 25 or so, evolved into a comfortable enough affirmation of being an occultist, or esotericist, because unlike some, I do not believe that there are simply 800, or 8000, or even 8 million different BRANDS out there of religion, religious belief, etc. I refuse to accept that out of many THOUSANDS of Christian denominations, each one is accurately and faithfully reproducing the only accepted, official interpretation of the example of Jesus of Nazareth, and that the rest of us are all ~ simply deluded. Besides being impossible, childish and foolish, this shows what extreme prejudice, blindness and narrow-mindedness are capable of doing to our spiritual potential. It's possible to be held back in growth this way for ... lifetimes.

I don't argue that we are all at somewhat slightly varying stages on the Spiritual Path, or that each of us walks a slightly different path ... but when someone stands up and tries that crap about, "My way is the [only] right way," I just wonder, when's that poor old fool going to come around! And, more often than not, there's not a thing in the world that I or anyone I know can say to help him out! :rolleyes:

I like the teaching, Theosophical and reflecting of Universal Wisdom, that "Truth is One, Paths are Many." So, unless someone is spouting off about the flying spaghetti monster, or shoving their plastic jesus down our throats, or pushing some other fanaticism up in my face, I just take it as a given. YOUR path, and YOUR beliefs, no matter WHO you are, where you are, when you are, etc. ... hold a measure of the Truth, for YOU. That doesn't mean that it, and we, don't all intersect somewhere, somehow, because my experiences ~ even as early as age 3 ~ proved to me beyond a shadow of a doubt: We ARE all connected, and we ARE all of the same Spiritual Source. In Christian enough terms, the same LOVING spiritual Parent welcomes and waits for us ALL. And I know as a simple matter of fact, in time, we ALL shall `get there.' ;)

Peace,
~Andrew

I never believed.

As a pre-school child, I have no particular memories about religion. I had heard of God, I am sure. However, my father was an atheist who simply would not discuss religion nor claim to believe or not. My mother was a nominal Christian, Anglican. But I am not sure. She would go to a Church in Inverness on Christmas and Easter. I think it was more a social event for our rural family living in an isolated valley in the Highlands.

Adults told many incredible stories. Mum read to me about leprechauns, Jack and the beanstalk, the women who turned into swans, and the Santa Claus equivalent to Father Frost. I went to school with an hour bus ride. There for the first time I heard about the Bible. We read children's books about the Bible. I heard about God who made everything including us. Was it just another fable or were they serious?

When we got to Noah's Flood, the book showed cartoon animals walking in pairs up the gangplank into a wooden boat called the Ark. They did this because God was going to kill everyone on Earth by a huge flood, men, women, children, babies, and all of the animals...because some men sinned. One last drawing showed people drowning in the rising waters, some desperately clinging to logs, gasping for air as they sank beneath the water. It was all so much fun. However, I alone in the class felt horrified. Why was God so mean?

I then thought it was only a story like St. George and the Dragon. God was simply make-believe like St. George, King Mil, and the Fomorians. As I went on in school, I felt that God was simply imaginary symbols like John Bull (England), and Uncle Sam (the USA.)

Therefore, I never developed serious god belief. Bible studies were compulsory. So I eventually started reading the King James Bible, in assigned chapters. Being independent minded, I read the non-assigned chapters.

I remember how my mates simply believed it all to be true, while it all seemed like rubbish to me. Why could I not understand it like the rest of my class? I was unable to convince myself that God, Satan, and Angels were real. They were obviously imaginary to me. I did not talk much about it and devoted myself to general academic subjects.

It was not until I was 16 years old, that my father finally admitted to me that he thought gods were imaginary and the Bible was just faerie tales. He had promised my mother to not influence my beliefs in any way. Therefore, he did not. Eventually my mother expressed her own doubts about the reality of Gods. This if funny. Mum refused the label Atheist. She simply "did not think gods were real."

I then knew that I too was an Atheist. I could not understand why so many other people believed in what seemed like childish magic stories while I saw them as rubbish.

Nobody ever baptized me, so I never identified myself as belonging to any religion. I did continue to read the Bible often and some chapters repeatedly. None of it convinced me, but some stories are just good action stories.

In college, on the debating team, we often debated religion. My knowledge of the bible was extremely helpful on the con side of the debate. It was all done with good humour and no serious anger. Later, after my neurology residency at Edinburgh, I spent a year in America.

That year in America changed me. I saw religious extremism in its ugliest forms. There was racism, white supremacy, anti-Semitism, anti-atheism, anti-science, and opposition to all non-Christian religions. Later, working in East Africa for 3 years, and shorter assignments in Pakistan, and Bosnia, I found out that religious extremism existed in various cultures and all seemed clearly evil.

When the internet bloomed in the late 80's I found news groups and discussion forums, and learned to enjoy debating religion verses reason.

Amergin

Susie asked:

how did oneself become to believe in god/ follow a religion. was it through an experience or an event.(?)

I was raised as a Baptist a liberal American Baptist church which had a University. From childhood I have fond memories of my grandfather and I sang in an Episcopal choir with a good friend.. My grandfather was a pillar in the Baptist church.. Anyway my overall impression of religion was fairly positive so I read the Bible or heard about various stories from early on.

Later on I explored various religions and developed an interest in Hinduism and stayed in an Ashram for some months around my twentieth year. Also I was interested in the Quaker movement AFSC and so on.

I was somewhat radicalized by the Civil Rights movement in the early sixties and also the anti-war movement.

After I graduated from the University I found some books about the Baha'i Faith in the local library and became a Baha'i as I felt it combined my interest in racial unity and peace as well as offering a spiritual life.. So my life has mostly been based around the Baha'i Faith and my family has been also been around the Faith.

I decided to read the Bible well some of it, Bob Marley said a chapter a day is the Rasta Way, so I thought it would be worth a read as its only the most popular book ever written, anyway I was going through some hard times and reading the Bible and praying and God spoke to me, I was just lying there and I heard this voice saying "I love you, I have always been with you and you never need to be alone again", that was it really.

"Have you ever read the bible man??? .. wEll, have you ever read the bible...
ON WEED?!!"

halfbaked5.jpg
< Nicecupoftea

^ me

....................................................: P

Believing is a strange thing in this world, because we are attracted to beauty and the world is full of it. Our minds seek gorgeous complexity and anything that suggests 'There is more to see'. We are drawn to shapes within shapes, new information, blossoming spirals of magnificence. When something stops or begins to slow down we think it dull and drop it out of our minds like a dog that has just smelled clean dirt. We see the things we prefer to believe in which are consistent developments of things which are already familiar to us. Behold the world filled with beauty, each kind of beauty filled with a greater complexities of more beauty.

Conversely there are events that no person can see for lack of interest, yet which definitely happen but we are all too focused to see them. It may or may not be that they are not beautiful. It may be we are too simple or too focused elsewhere. These are the motions of angels which go unseen every day, and they are paintings that light up the sky but that our eyes don't appreciate. I know they are there. I wish my eyes were able to see them and my mind to appreciate them.

As an example of something that goes unseen, consider the aged. They have a different kind of beauty than the young and often go unseen because of it. An old person can walk past 1000 people without being noticed. Perhaps an angel can walk past a million. It could easily be true. At least once in a lifetime we are confronted by a mad person and the things that they say sound crazy. I do not doubt for a second, however, that they are able to see things that I would miss just as they are missing things that I easily see. That is just the way things are. We are just blind, all blind.

I used to be a Catholic, but I could never understand why I needed someone to be the middle person between me and God.

I discovered my current spiritual philosophy when I was unsuccessful in trying to conceive a child. That is when I stumbled upon Unity, which teaches that we all have personal access to God. They also teach that your thoughts create your reality and, by changing your thoughts and beliefs, your experiences can change.

From Unity, I moved to Religious Science, which teaches the Science of Mind. I am now a New Thought Minister who teaches the Science of Mind and related ideas to others.

can you elaborate on this middle person ?

There always seems to be a middle man. Most commonly the middle man is a self-proclaimed prophet, a priest, minister, or some kind of medium.

Jesus was thought by his disciples as being a middle man between God (JHWY) and ordinary Jewish people. However, after Jesus died, Roman converts to his cult deified him (apotheosis). At first Jesus was the son of God through a human virgin. He was a subordinate to the High God, JHWY. This can be seen as he says, the only way to God (the Father) is through me. Either Jesus or the Gospel writer was identifying Jesus as the divine but subordinate god who would guide one to God.

Once Jesus became a god, people believed that they could not communicate directly through him and needed another middle man. When Jesus was elevated to Full God status in the trinity enigma, humans needed human middle men to communicate with Jesus and his other two personalities Father and Spirit.

Those middle men were the priests and bishops in all of the competing Christian Cults. After the triumph of Trinitarian Christianity with the political force of Flavius Valerius Constintus, Emperor of the Roman Empire, Athanasian Christianity became the only legal form in 393 CE unter Theodosius. Rival Christians were persecuted or executed if they failed to convert. The same applied to the still majority pagans.

The Emperor was the supreme middle man of early Christianity. He had authority over the second level of middle men, the Patriarchs. They were subject to the Emperor. When the Western Empire fell, it left one Patriarch, the Bishop of Rome living beyond the Emperor's reach. The capital of the Empire was then Constantinople. The Patriarchial system survived in the Eastern Empire, but in the west, the Pope took advantage of the fact that the Emperor in Constantinople could not bully him. The bishop of Rome with rule over a territory exerted more power than Eastern Patriarchs.

Gradually, the Patriarch of Rome came to be called Papa or pope. He had ideas of being the sole middle man between humans and Jesus, at that point Jesus was the High God. This led to the evolution of the Roman Catholic Church which spread power in the former Western Empire while the East retained the original (i.e. more genuine) Orthodox Christianity with Patriarchs.

A schism was bound to happen as the Roman Patriarch claimed authority over all Christians and other Patriarchs. The Orthodox Patriarchs refused to submit. That resulted in the birth of the Roman Catholic Church.

Muslims have middle men called Mullahs, Imams, and Ayatollahs but the muslim people still consider the Prophet Muhammad PBUH, and his words in the Qur'an to be the true middle man between humanity and Allah.

I happen to be my own middle man between me and the Cosmos.:D

Amergin

Your middle man is your illusion of "knowledge"

An intelligent middle man has knowledge of what he can see, experience, examine its parts, observe its movement, and speculate on some hypotheses that are not proven and may be disproven...at which time I abandon them.

Perhaps you are the typical Islamo-Christian whose middle man is another man who makes claims for which he has no evidence or proof. Your middle man makes outrageous claims of invisible phantasms to explain everything. He thinks evidence is the fact that 4 Greco-Romans wrote unsupported stories, or a man in Arabia received information from an Archangel. None of the two belief systems are based on reality but magical thinking, delusion, and superstition. I consider myself fortunate that my parents did not pressure me to accept all of the theistic rubbish forced on many of my friends.

I was free in my own mind because I had free parents.

I am free to know Neuroscience, biology-evolution, chemistry-biochemistry, macro-physics, nano-physics, quantum physics, geology-geotectonics, and astronomy.

If you doubt all of those, it is your right. I matters not to me if you believe in one god, three, or a hundred gods, angels, demons, spirits, ghosts, werewolves, vampires, zombies, leprechauns, or djinn. It they make you happy, it is fine with me.

I would hate to read that Americans may lose their freedom of religion because US Christians believe the USA should be a Christian Theocracy based on the Bible and not the secular constitution.

Amergin

Perhaps you are the typical Islamo-Christian....

No one forced anything on me either.

That tactic won't help you here.

An intelligent middle man has knowledge of what he can see, experience, examine its parts, observe its movement, and speculate on some hypotheses that are not proven and may be disproven...at which time I abandon them.
An intelligent man should also have the capability to defend his viewpoint against counter-arguments... But you Amergin, have not demonstrated the above to me.

I can post a laundry list of all the threads on which we've met, every single one resulted in you cutting and running The first, as I remember, was the Helen Thomas thread you started, remember? The one in which you equated Zionism with Judaism, completely unaware of the fact that Zionism has always been an atheistic/socialist secular anti-religious ideology, more akin to your own beliefs. The latest of course was more related to your professional field, on which you confused temperature with heat, and could not even understand the question you were asked, like a "typical" technician.

Your degrees and qualifications don't impress me Amergin. I know a dude in medical school, who doesn't even accept evolution! That just goes to show how easily a person can get advanced degrees and succeed in the sciences, via simply absorbing a mass of information without actually understanding any of it.

I am free to know Neuroscience, biology-evolution, chemistry-biochemistry, macro-physics, nano-physics, quantum physics, geology-geotectonics, and astronomy. If you doubt all of those, it is your right.
I don't reject their functionality.

I just recognize their inherent limitations with regards to the philosophical.

Which is why I treat neuroscientists no different than I would an auto-mechanic.

I would hate to read that Americans may lose their freedom of religion because US Christians believe the USA should be a Christian Theocracy based on the Bible and not the secular constitution.
The Christian right is vastly over-rated.

What have they actually accomplished so far?

They can't get even abortion banned, and that's their greatest political calling.

I used to be a Catholic, but I could never understand why I needed someone to be the middle person between me and God.

I discovered my current spiritual philosophy when I was unsuccessful in trying to conceive a child. That is when I stumbled upon Unity, which teaches that we all have personal access to God. They also teach that your thoughts create your reality and, by changing your thoughts and beliefs, your experiences can change.

From Unity, I moved to Religious Science, which teaches the Science of Mind. I am now a New Thought Minister who teaches the Science of Mind and related ideas to others.
What do you see as the differences between Unity and Science of Mind? I know Fillmore and Holmse were contemporaries on a similar path....as well as Eddy, who took her group entirely to prayer...no medical intervention. I know Religious Science has a focus on prayer as treatment, but what were the big differences that assisted you in your choice?

I think that Unity is more Christian based than Religious Science. Ernest Holmes loved Jesus, but he saw Jesus' consciousness as a model of what each of us can accomplish. We see Jesus as a mentor for all of us. We say that 'Jesus is not the great exception, but the great example.'

I personally find that some of the former Unity leaders such as Emilie Cady and Eric Butterworth were more focused on affirmative prayer's absolute ability to change conditions. They were incredibly powerful practitioners of Truth and I adore their work. I know that Unity Village has Silent Unity, and those individuals believe in the power of prayer to change conditions. However, I have found that when I speak to people at acutal centers, they say they believe in the power of prayer, but I am not sure they are convinced that it can actually change conditions.

In Religious Science, we have our version of spiritual mind treatment, which is a specific step-by-step process of prayer. It helps you focus your mind on effective affirmative prayer which can absolutely change conditions.

In Religious Science, all ministers must be Licensed Practitioners. Each Licensed Practitioner must prove the power of prayer. They must do treatment work (or prayer work for an individual) and the condtion must be healed. This healing must be documented by the individual who has experienced the healing. Then the Practitioner Intern must compile a portfolio of successful prayer work and also do an analysis of what false beliefs created the negative conditions. Relgiious Scientists believe that if you know the Truth, conditions MUST change. If you don't know the Truth enough for conditions to change, you cannot receive a License. I tell people that I have a License to pray.

When I tell people at local Unity churches that I must prove the power of prayer to change condtions in order to become a minister, they are often in awe and surprised. So, I think that is a real distinction -- we KNOW that treatment can change conditions. Some of the people I have met in Unity say that prayer can change conditions, but I'm not sure how many of them believe it with conviction.

Having said that, I love Unity people. They are warm, loving, and wonderful, and many of them really do believe in the power of prayer. I often speak at Unity centers. As a matter of fact, I am speaking at one of my favorite Unity centers this Sunday.

If you are interested in the steps of Spriitual Mind Treatment, you can go to my website and click on the link for Prayer for Money. I use money as an example of how to do a Spritual Mind Treatment. You can use this same method for anything.

If you have any questions about it, please let me know.

Blessings -

Della

Suzie, still on my Journey, not arrived yet, will let you know if I get there. Should start a journal now I guess.
NiceCupOfTea - I would love to hear the 'voice', it never happens.

I am an atheist. I believe he heard the voice. I believe all his senses told him he heard a voice. That is the trouble though. Our senses are pretty rubbish. In fact they are really rubbish. I do not believe anything I hear, say, smell, see, taste or intuit. I know they are all fleeting impressions formed by an imperfect organ. Even if there is a God to hear we could not trust we heard correctly. Though I do trust the Cognac currently warming my gills to make me even more confused.

NiceCupOfTea -
Whe I was Catholic, I was taught that only priests had access to God and that we (sinners) had to go through them. Also, Jesus is considered an intermediary between God and us. That never felt right to me. Many Catholics ask for things in Jesus's name. I never understood why I couldn't ask God what I wanted directly.

In the spiritual religion in which I am now a minister, we see Jesus as the great example, not the great exception. I feel like he is a beloved big brother and that his actions are an example of what is possible for me and all of humanity.

NiceCupOfTea -
Whe I was Catholic, I was taught that only priests had access to God and that we (sinners) had to go through them.

ok i never knew that

Also, Jesus is considered an intermediary between God and us. That never felt right to me. Many Catholics ask for things in Jesus's name. I never understood why I couldn't ask God what I wanted directly.

Jesus is God, thats what I believe anyway.

In the spiritual religion in which I am now a minister, we see Jesus as the great example, not the great exception. I feel like he is a beloved big brother and that his actions are an example of what is possible for me and all of humanity.

In my church we see Jesus as God and man, as a man as a blueprint for all of us as everything he did on Earth he did as a man with the anointing of the Holy Spirit.

for me, personally, i just talk to God. I dont need a priest or a church, (tho i do go to one, cos i like the people), but I do things like, when im taking my dog for a walk, ill say, Wow, God what a gorgeous day, well done!! (Stuff like that). You see, to me, my relationship to God is personal. I honour traditions of the catholic church, the ones that i can relate to, and the ones I know. I may seem picky, but if God really is everywhere, (as we believe) then, talking to him while im in the woods, or while Im in the kitchen or while Im gardening, just seems completely natural to me.

On another note.....perhaps God brought Jesus down to earth, so simple humans could relate better to Him (God/Jesus) rather than as an unseen entity. (Just a thought).

Love the Grey

Back