The son of man

Well my theology fits the Gospels, and so does Augustine, Athanasius and Aquinas, and if you can show their their theology doesn't, then your reputation would be made ... but I don't think you can.

My weakness is that I am not familiar with the writings of Augustine, Athanasius, and Aquinas. I may be wrong to assume they supported the Trinity. I would ask these questions of the A-A-A scholars.

1. Did Jesus specifically and unequivocally claim to be God?
2. Did Jesus say he was sent by God to do God's work?
3. Did Jesus on the cross, say, "My God, why hast thou forsaken me?"
4. Did Jesus claim to not be as "good" as the Father/God?
5. Did Jesus claim not to know things that God knows?
6. How do you explain that Jesus and Mary have the same God?
7. Why did Jesus ask God to take this cup from me?
8. Why did a vast majority of Jews not accept Jesus as a god? They were the ones who were there in person.
9. What makes Christianity more credible than Islam? Votes do not count. There are about 1.4 billion Muslims and 2 billion Christians (of whom many millions in Europe and 30,000,000 unbelievers baptized Christian in America.) That makes Muslims and Christians about equal in number. Hindus are catching up with 3rd place.

I think you're on your own. I fail to see how the Gospels evidence the fact that a highly informed Jew (the Scriptural references in His words and actions are numerous and touch every aspect of the testimony), preaching to a largely Jewish audience, who were demonstrably touchy about infringements on their religious beliefs

And the Jews did not accept Jesus as a god. Some thought he might be a messiah but gave up on that when he died. I am using only the Gospels as my reference, not Stephen Hawking's and Leonard Mlodinow's "The Grand Design" on Quantum Theory. However, I doubt that Scriptural Scholars (heavyweight) have read Stephen Hawking, Brian Greene, Steven Weinberg, Niels Bohr, or Richard Feynman.

(as the Romans learnt, and were obliged to make pragmatic allowances), bought into a pagan philosophy wholesale ... I don't see that at all.

Jesus cults had some appeal due to the charitable nature. However, the converts were all Pagans (Greeks, Romans, Illyrians, Galatians, Capadocians, Lydians, Pergamumites, Cilicians (Paul), Bythinians, Armenians, Iberians, Celts, Teutons, Egyptians, Pontusites, Georgians, North Africans, and Thracians). They overwhelmed and drowned out the Jewish Monotheistics Jesus followers. However, the Christianised Pagans had little use for Jewish customs (like circumcision.)

Paul, a Cilician Jew from Tarsus, grew up in a port city in which Mithraism was strong. Paul who never met Jesus seems to have interwoven Jesus and Mithra consciously or subconsciously leading to classical Roman Mithaic ideas of "baptism, eucharistic meal, saving grace, "salvation," and the Nativity story of a "son of God" born in a cave (i.e. stable) to a virgin woman, to produce a son of God mixed with human. Interestingly "Jesus" in the gospel was visited by three Magi (Zoroastrian priests).

As I keep saying, triunes are widespread and universal, as are monads, dualisms, quaternities ... one, two, three, etc., are all sacred numbers in all traditions ... but it's what the doctrine says that counts, and the Doctrine of the Trinity is founded in Hebraic thought, not IndoEuropean.

I disagree. I do not find Trinitarian ideas in the Old Testament. Paul had his conflict with the Jewish leaders, especially Peter and James over his attempted deification of Jesus. He was forced to flee to Nabataea for 14 years where his new religion was conceived. Paul in his epistles was the first one to deify Jesus in a limited way. He placed Jesus as a subordinate God to the High God JHWY (equivalent to Ahura Mazda). Some Jewish scholars speculate that Paul was sent by the Romans to disrupt the Jewish Jesus Cult and Judaism in general because of the increasing unrest in Israel.

In Paul's description of JHWY as God and Jesus as Lord, a vassal to a King or God. Paul was responsible as well at his allies who later wrote the gospels, for Arianism. Bishop Arius did not invent Arianism. Paul did. Arius was just a preacher of Paulism.

Arianism was not the first form of Christianity, nor was it the first heresy. Arianism was Arius' idea, and it was soundly rejected by the congregation he was preaching to, a congregation of fishermen, sailers, dockers, etc (his parish was the docks in Alexandria, and his forté was composing worksongs on theological themes) — it was the congregation who complained to the Bishop of Alexandria that Arius was singing off his own songsheet, as it were, in saying that Christ was created, that 'there was a time when He was not'.

Paul invented a subordinate Jesus to the higher God, Arianism in all but name until Bishop Arius accepted it and preached it. Paulism is a better term. But Paulism/Arianism was the first form of Christianity although it was not called Christianity until the late 2nd or 3rd Century (when Paulism/Arianism dominated over Athanasianism and was supported by a couple of Emperors.) Paulism under the name Arianism was the form of Christianity accepted by the Teutonic Barbarian Kingdoms. Arianism came close to becoming the official Christianity. Before it, there were only various loose groups of Jesus (the human) followers.

The final triumph of Trinitarian Pagan Christianity was due to St. Helena, mother of Emperor Flavius Valerius Constantius. The emperor was influenced by mommy. He believed in Sol Invictus whose symbol was a bright circle with a vertical line and horizontal line running with the centre in the centre of the circle. Pre-Christian Irish had a Cross with a similar stone circle superimposed but no Jesus body. After conversion the Cross with the circle still exists in Irish graveyards (with Jesus on the cross.)

Constantius went to battle in the civil war at the Milvian Bridge. He had a vision or hallucination of a bright cross within a bright circle. With that image he supposedly would win the war. He won. Then he had the brilliant political idea of bringing back unity to the unraveling empire by merging the religions of Mithraism, Sol Invictus, and Athanasian Christianity. At Nicaea in 324 CE, Constantine forced the Christian Bishops to vote allegiance to Trinitarianism and condemn Arianism/Paulism, Ebionites, Nazerites, and Mandaeans forcing them to flee to exile in Barbarian Kingdoms and Persia. Nestorianism and Monophysitism were later condemned as heresies. Unconverted Pagans were largely exterminated or bullied into conversion by the sword by Emperor Theodosius II.

And politics has been influenced by religion ever since.

No, it fits with you ... and you fit it to the gospels.

Sorry, I did not write the gospels. I just tell you what they say without the Catholic spin.

It was not Tertullian's Trinity — the doctrine was in place before Tertullian. He came up with the term Trinity, that's all.

It seems to me you've concocted a theory to explain away a theory that you don't understand. To you ... please do not assume the same of everybody.

Quantum Physics is irrational. So what? Are you saying there is nothing in the Cosmos, or beyond it, that will not reveal itself to your gaze?

It is confusing but not irrational. Physicists have observed particles appearing and disappearing in a seeming vacuum. A particle is split. A negative smaller particle goes to the left, a positive smaller particle goes right. No matter what the distance if one particle reverses charge negative to positive its distant partner reverses positive to negative. We (or at least I) do not understand that, but it happens and is observed. There may not really be a true vacuum in the cosmos. What is the role of the Hadron Field or the Higgs particle? Math can describe it but we call it Theoretical Physics. However, that is more evidence than there is for a conscious god.

Oh dear ... you mean you've ignored 'the winnowed wisdom of the human race', to use a term coined by Prof. Huston Smith, and stuck with what you've come up with in isolation

Spot on Matey!

I'd keep that to yourself ... that argument, combined with the manifest errors you put to me above, do not stand your theory in good stead.

Can you disprove the literal words of the Gospels?

And it never occurred to you that many theologians are trained philosophers, rationalists and sceptics?

I doubt that. It would require a split brain.

Your bias:
An atheist is rational, logical, reasonable, because of what he believes;

No, it is because of what he does not believe. It is because he relies on reason, critical analysis, and scepticism. He refuses to adhere to unsupported assumption based on superstition and mythology.

a theologian is irrational, illogical, unreasonable, etc., because of what he believes (which is other than what you believe).

The theologian can be rational in the field of art, poetry, collecting coins, investing a crime by forensic methods. However, in metaphysics the theologian is quite irrational, illogical, and unreasonable. For 1700 years they have defeated challenges by burning challengers at the stake, beheading, drawing and quartering, torture, use of fear and intimidation. Theologians have not defeated free thinkers by rational arguments. They present no evidence and pretend that biblical and church dogma do not contain the obvious errors.

I, for example, a believer and Catholic, happen to think many atheists are rational, reasonable people, I do not assume, as you do, that they're 'away with the faeries' and hold beliefs that are patently nonsense because they don't think like me.

Some Christians are able to compartmentalise mythical thinking that conflicts with reason and logic. They have a rational brain coexisting with gullible circuits. The Rational Brain demands evidence applied to critical analysis, and screening by the Frontal sceptical filter. The Myth holding part of the brain relies on emotional chains to the myth and mounts an interior defence against any challenges.

Rare scientists who are Christian like Dr. Collins of the Human DNA Project achieve this compartmentalisation quite well. He wears his suit and tie to Church on Sunday and sings in the Choir. On Monday, he dons his white lab coat. His brain has shifted thinking modes.

The danger is that some people who try to compartmentalise mythology from reason fail. Either they lose the myth belief and suffer emotional trauma, or they suppress reason and logic and remain stuck in the Magical Universe where rules of reason and logic do not apply. Their brain turns off its sceptical filter. The serious danger of being locked in the fantasy universe in called Schizophrenia (no insult intended). That is because the rational brain is so disconnected from analytical thinking and sceptical filtering that lethal delusions can occur.

Please to not take this as personal attack, for it is not. It is my honest opinion as Medical Doctor and Neuroscientist. I am not a psychiatrist. However, I have seen psychiatric patients in consultation of delusional, religious extreme, irrational, and confused patients to rule out epilepsy, brain tumours, strokes, encephalitis, arteriovenous malformations, post-traumatic brain injuries, harmful drug use (including alcohol) and having ruled them out, I refer them back to the psychiatrist for treatment with neuroleptics.

I admit that greater than 93% of Scientists are Non-theists, 7% claim theism but rarely in the Christian form. I think that most people who are not degree holding scientists are generally rational and sceptical but balance it with religion by the process of compartmentalisation in the Brain.

God bless,

Thomas

The best to you, and hope I can call you friend.

Amergin

Amergin,

You might like to see this survey..

Scientists as “spiritual atheists” | Gene Expression | Discover Magazine

It says 72% of scientists hold a non-theistic position.. 71% agree that there are basic truths in many religions..

There are a number of such surveys like the one by the American National Science Foundation showing 93% of US scientists to be non-theistic while 7% are theistic but not generally traditional Christian. We take such polls with a grain of salt.

The important fact is that greater than 91% of UK scientists do not believe in a conscious god. Even 72% non-theists in an American survey shows the overwhelming tendency for highly rational, analytical, and sceptical thinkers (a necessity for a scientist) compared to a minority being theistic, no matter which survey is used.

Keep in mind that in the USA, (where I spent a year in fellowship at a major Medical University), doctors who get patients from patient self-referral. Family Practice Doctors and self-referral Internists, dermatologists and some general surgeons whose patients are self-referred have genuine fear of their atheism or agnosticism being "outed". A majority of Americans hate atheists, more than any other country outside of the Muslim World. There are several cases of a doctor's atheism being outed and his successful practice suddenly falling. He and his family (in Kentucky) had to move away and start all over.

This makes US doctors fearful of answering a poll on belief with admitting non-theism. His/her answer may be publicised and produce a patient boycott. If you factor this in, I suggest that the percentage of non-theistic doctors in America and UK would be much higher.

I would like to design a study in America. In a typical US community get several similar stores to be randomly selected to display a hollow fish symbol on the front window and door while the other half display the First Amendment of your Constitution.

There is a book called the Christian Yellow Pages. It advertises Christian businesses and other services that are Christian. Business managers/owners beg to advertise in the Christian Yellow Pages. You will never see an Atheist-Agnostic Yellow Pages. No intelligent business would advertise in it. Sadly, boycotting an Atheistic business or doctor is perfectly legal (bigotry is legal as long as it is not governmental.)

How do we try to teach undereducated theists about the wrongness of bigotry (racial or religious)?

I personally support freedom of people worship any god or gods. Why do they wish to penalise me for what I do not believe?

Amergin

Hello everybody.

I apologize for apparently dropping out of this discussion which I started. The forums appeared to be offline for a while and I did not receive any email notifications of new posts.

Show me the chapter and verse in which Jesus actually claims to be God or in any other literal way says that he IS God. I had 4 courses in College of Biblical Theology. I never found it in the Bible. Revelations is one of the false psychotic ramblings of John of Patmos. It is a chaotic delusional loosely connected body of obvious insanity. It further smears the good name of Jesus by making him into a killer space alien.

Amergin
John 8:58 Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM."

Exodus 3:14 God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.[a] This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I AM has sent me to you.’”

Pretty clear here...

Back