The meaning of Incarnation — to Wil

Kinda like a clanging cymbal clanging away w/o musical backup. No one wants to hear the cymbal by itself; it must be accompanied by other harmonic instruments before it can be truly appreciated. We are the same way. If we haven't the accompaniment of love, then our salt has lost it's saltiness. We are said to be the salt of the earth, but w/o love we are nothing ... not only has the music died, but the light has turned to darkness. Our godliness and zeal (Cymbal) must be accompanied by love (Music) if we wish to have any flavor (Harmony) at all.

ok, i'm done ...Just thinking aloud :D

Thomas are you saying you have not reviled and persecuted me enough to qualify yet??

Not only that—count yourselves blessed every time people put you down or throw you out or speak lies about you to discredit me. What it means is that the truth is too close for comfort and they are uncomfortable. You can be glad when that happens—give a cheer, even!—for though they don't like it, I do! And all heaven applauds. And know that you are in good company. My prophets and witnesses have always gotten into this kind of trouble.
Thank you for the addition, you can keep beating me up all you want...I will not adulterate my beliefs...ts the words of my elder brother and wayshower that I follow...

Thomas are you saying you have not reviled and persecuted me enough to qualify yet??

Thank you for the addition, you can keep beating me up all you want...I will not adulterate my beliefs...ts the words of my elder brother and wayshower that I follow...
smarty pants...:cool::eek:

Hi Wil —
Wil, do you not think perhaps it is you who 'reviles' and 'persecutes' Scripture – you pick and choose what you want to believe, and what you don't, as suits you? You're the one claiming most of it is fantasy and exaggeration, if not pure fabrication?

Thank you for the addition, you can keep beating me up all you want...
I'm not beating you up Wil, I'm showing you the bit you choose to ignore, to distort the message to fit your own ideology.

I will not adulterate my beliefs...
I think the point is you're adulterating Scripture to suit your beliefs.

You're welcome to your beliefs Wil, but don't misrepresent Scripture to me as a means of rapping me on the knuckles.

ts the words of my elder brother and wayshower that I follow...
No, I think you follow what you want to follow, discarding those words you find incovenient, and bending the rest to make them say what you want to hear.

God bless,

Thomas

Hi Wil —

Wil, do you not think perhaps it is you who 'reviles' and 'persecutes' Scripture – you pick and choose what you want to believe, and what you don't, as suits you? You're the one claiming most of it is fantasy and exaggeration, if not pure fabrication?

I'm not beating you up Wil, I'm showing you the bit you choose to ignore, to distort the message to fit your own ideology.

I think the point is you're adulterating Scripture to suit your beliefs.

You're welcome to your beliefs Wil, but don't misrepresent Scripture to me as a means of rapping me on the knuckles.

No, I think you follow what you want to follow, discarding those words you find incovenient, and bending the rest to make them say what you want to hear.

God bless,

Thomas

Jesus says he is the truth and the life and the way and only thru him we get to the father....

Is that the human? or the Christ?

Paul indicates we are to put the mind of Christ in our mine....ie we are the truth the light and the only way to the father....going within...

Jesus says I and the father are one.

hence....ditto

also my brother, our brother says greater than he shall we do...

You gonna sit on the sidelines and argue semantics or strive for growth and follow the path?

don't limit yourself Thomas.

He wouldn't like that.

Jesus says he is the truth and the life and the way and only thru him we get to the father ... Is that the human? or the Christ?
Both. That's the point of the Incarnation. The only Christ you know is the human Christ, and you're trying to turn Him into an abstract entity.

Take the human Christ out of Scripture, and you're left with?

Consider this:
It is the sheer physicality of God which shocks today ... It is much easier to deal with God at arm’s length – to spiritualise his presence – to treat him as wholly “Other”. But the God who reveals himself in Jesus chose to become "a man, formed from the same substance as we are. If he were not of the same nature as ourselves his command to imitate him as master would be a futile one ...

The fact that God is prepared to share our flesh means that everything we are is now capable of being raised up and transformed ... God is not prepared to stand outside and watch: he involves himself in every consequence of our nature (even physical and mental pain, leading to a grave). Because God shares the frailty of our humanity, our every experience (even the most negative) is now open to grace....

I would say that religious/spiritual experience/understanding had been, until this point, the reserved realm of the sage, the ascetic ... not 'the man in the street'. With, and through, the Incarnation, human nature becomes open to the Divine in a human way — this was the essence of Augustine's argument with Pelagius, if P. is right, then any real order of spiritual engagement is beyond the capacity of 99% of the human population, and reserved for the monastic ascetic — the Cathars taught that same thing.

Paul indicates we are to put the mind of Christ in our mind....ie we are the truth the light and the only way to the father....going within...
No, again you cleverly remove the text from its context, and interpret Scripture to suit your own ideology. Jesus said "I am the way, the truth and the light" but you now declare that you are ... John said "The light that is the life of men" — and now you're saying you are that light.

You make the classic human error of seeking to own and possess that which has been made known. To make yourself the equal of God.

Paul preached that to put on the mind of Christ, one has to die to one's own mind:
"I live now not with my own life but with the life of Christ who lives in me" Galatians 2:19

"Buried with him in baptism, in whom also you are risen again by the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him up from the dead."
Colossians 2:12

"For we are buried together with him by baptism into death; that as Christ is risen from the dead by the glory of the Father, so we also may walk in newness of life."
Romans 6:4

Going within for Paul means finding the Christ who is He who sustains our being ... going within for you means affirming your own ego in the face of everything. There's no room for Christ in you, Wil ... it's full of Wil.

You don't believe in the Incarnation (other than invented myth), the Resurrection (ditto), Baptism (ditto) or the Eucharist (ditto) as Paul did, you don't believe that Christ died for the sake of our salvation (as Paul did) ...

... Wil, you don'e believe in anything Paul believes, so please don't quote Paul at me.

Baptism, Eucharist, Resurrection ... they were not philosophical or moral abstracts for Paul. They, He, Christ, was a total and absolute reality ... but you don't believe what Paul believed, and you haven't put on the mind of Christ, nor can you, until you put over your own discrimination.

Jesus says I and the father are one.
hence....ditto
So what Jesus declares of Himself, applies to you ...

I might point out that He did not say 'you and the father are one', in fact it's apparent that such union was His hope and prayer.

Once again, you conveniently ignore that bit, and assume that you and God are one, just because you exist, and you are the equal of Jesus in every way.

also my brother, our brother says greater than he shall we do...
I assume you mean He was talking about you? So you are greater than Jesus.

You gonna sit on the sidelines and argue semantics or strive for growth and follow the path?
Follow your path of self-serving sophistry? You who is greater than Jesus? I think not, thanks.

I follow the path that leads to Him. Your path seems to lead to you.

Had you bothered to try and understand the message of Adam and Eve, instead of simply dismissing it, you might find you'd not be in the same place they found themselves.

If you think the 'moral' of that story is not worth seeking, try the story of Prometheus and Pandora. Same message.

Pride leads to a fall.

Don't limit yourself Thomas.
You mean I should exercise my skills at reinterpreting Scripture to create a God in my own image? I should proclaim my divinity, as you do? Methinks you've been listening to a serpent's whisper, brother.

I've run the course of this discussion, Wil.

God bless,

Thomas

It is the sheer physicality of God which shocks today ...
This is exactly correct Thomas.

Folks can't grasp the enorimity of this. And refuse the responsibility of this.

The fact that we are in fact co-creators with G!d, part and parcel of creating our today's and our tomorrow's is too much for them.

Of all the things I gave up to become a Unitic, I miss blame the most.

I know my thinking takes part in the Saddam Hussiens, the Osama bin Ladens, the George Bushs and the Obamas of the world. That both my negative and positive thoughts go out into the ethers and affect our society.

That is too much for many. They need to invent an old man in the sky and a little red guy with horns and tail.... to blame. For the plagues and the floods, and the serial killers....and their own foibles....I can't help it, I am just a poor sinner, just human, what can be expected of me.

It is the sheer physicality of God which shocks today ...
Yes it is too much for many to think that they have this responsibility...they'd much rather leave it to others and put up their feet on the ottoman, open a beer and watch football.

Folks can't grasp the enorimity of this. And refuse the responsibility of this.

The fact that we are in fact co-creators with G!d, part and parcel of creating our today's and our tomorrow's is too much for them.

Oi, you lost me there, Wil. I am not a theologian and did not major in Philosophy. Are you saying that God is physical? I was taught in school years ago, that God was immaterial. God was spiritual, meaning that God was not composed of molecules, atoms, protons, neutrons, electrons, Higgs Bosons, up quarks, or down quarks, nor tiny vibrating energy superstrings as all matter and energy are composed.

What is God? And What does spirit mean if not immaterial? I am not being critical. I am just asking in case I misunderstand the context of your metaphors.

Of all the things I gave up to become a Unitic, I miss blame the most.

Please define Unitic.

I know my thinking takes part in the Saddam Hussiens, the Osama bin Ladens, the George Bushs and the Obamas of the world. That both my negative and positive thoughts go out into the ethers and affect our society.

That sounds harder then Quantum Physics, four dimensional fractals using Mendelbrot's equations, modular forms, and chaos theory.

That is too much for many. They need to invent an old man in the sky and a little red guy with horns and tail.... to blame. For the plagues and the floods, and the serial killers....and their own foibles....I can't help it, I am just a poor sinner, just human, what can be expected of me.

It makes sense to me that early humans to invent an anthropomorphic god who looks human reclining on a cloud than the concepts you are explaining. In my case I found the Laws of Macro and Nanophyisics, quantum mechanics, microparticles of energy, Higgs Bosons, and a Hadron field give me an explanation that makes sense to me. And it does not require the obvious silliness of God being an Old naked man on a cloud exposing his danglers. Why can we not use God as the metaphorical figure for macrophysics and nanophysics? You use Uncle Sam as the logo for America, as we use John Bull as the metaphor of the British Empire. None of us thought that John Bull or Uncle Sam were material people. I think of God in that same context.

Yes it is too much for many to think that they have this responsibility...they'd much rather leave it to others and put up their feet on the ottoman, open a beer and watch football.

Make it Guinness and watching Rugby:D

An Bhliain Úr Shona, Wil

Amergin

Hi Amergin —
What is God? And What does spirit mean if not immaterial? I am not being critical. I am just asking in case I misunderstand the context of your metaphors.
Coming from left-field ... this is a source of long-running contention between Wil and I ... the traditional Christian theological view is that God is 'beyond-being' (something from the Hellenic philosophical tradition), even the idea of divine 'essence' or 'nature' is a metaphor, as God is beyond essences, natures, etc.

God is in a class of Its own, there is nothing else equivalent to or even like God.

The philosophical problem is to do with predicates: say anything of God, and the opposite can be inferred, so nothing can accurately be predicated of God, because a predicate infers 'this' and 'not that', which can lead to erroneous assumptions about the Divine.

By the same token, nothing in and of a human nature can be called divine, because natures are created, and the Divine is not created ... human nature is 'open' to the Divine, but human nature is not inherently divine.

That sounds harder then Quantum Physics, four dimensional fractals using Mendelbrot's equations, modular forms, and chaos theory.
Understanding God is harder than all that put together ... how can it not be? God lies beyond every mode of comprehension and expression.

It makes sense to me that early humans to invent an anthropomorphic god who looks human reclining on a cloud than the concepts you are explaining.
Yes it does, and as we grew in understanding, we moved away from such notions.

So we named such concepts 'idols' — people still accuse Christians of 'idolising' statues, whereas the statue serves as an eikon for contemplative reflection — but one should not overlook the fact that the most modern expression of the Divine, as, say, The Absolute, the Infinite, Beyond-Being, Not-This, Not-That, The One, etc., is still, in a sense, idolatry, if we're not careful.

In my case I found the Laws of Macro and Nanophyisics, quantum mechanics, microparticles of energy, Higgs Bosons, and a Hadron field give me an explanation that makes sense to me.
But the Christian notion of God is still beyond that, as God is not a particle, nor a wave, not nano ... not contained within such principles.

Curiously, in some areas Platonism is making a reappearance as a viable means of understanding the new physics, better than the Aristotelian model.

Why can we not use God as the metaphorical figure for macrophysics and nanophysics?
Because macrophysics and nanophysics do not sufficiently encompass the idea of the Divine, any more effectively or accurately than physics.

These days, my theology is leading me to a contemplation of language itself.

Thomas

Oi, you lost me there, Wil. I am not a theologian and did not major in Philosophy. Are you saying that God is physical? I was taught in school years ago, that God was immaterial. God was spiritual, meaning that God was not composed of molecules, atoms, protons, neutrons, electrons, Higgs Bosons, up quarks, or down quarks, nor tiny vibrating energy superstrings as all matter and energy are composed.
Now we are talking and you are right. We are all earthly expressioins of G!d. I sort of see it like a sheet of rubber and you push your hand into it. On the other side folks see a hand, but it is isn't really the hand....
I still see G!d as undefinable....can't wrap words around it.
Please define Unitic.
One who follows Unity
yup....when you interpret 'thou shall not murder' to you shall not murder others creativity, excitement, enthusiasm....things are tougher. When you expand 'thou shall not commit adultery' into don't adulterate your principles it is a different story. Metaphysical expansion of the scriptures put a lot on us as individuals.
It makes sense to me that early humans to invent an anthropomorphic god who looks human reclining on a cloud than the concepts you are explaining. In my case I found the Laws of Macro and Nanophyisics, quantum mechanics, microparticles of energy, Higgs Bosons, and a Hadron field give me an explanation that makes sense to me. And it does not require the obvious silliness of God being an Old naked man on a cloud exposing his danglers. Why can we not use God as the metaphorical figure for macrophysics and nanophysics? You use Uncle Sam as the logo for America, as we use John Bull as the metaphor of the British Empire. None of us thought that John Bull or Uncle Sam were material people. I think of God in that same context.
We do, or I do, but it is incomplete, as science continues to change it keeps getting closer and closer to understanding what G!d is....but in our heart we can know and understand, but not be able to verbalize the enormity and entirety
Make it Guinness and watching Rugby:D

An Bhliain Úr Shona, Wil

Amergin
Appreciate you comments.

Hi Amergin —

Coming from left-field ... this is a source of long-running contention between Wil and I ... the traditional Christian theological view is that God is 'beyond-being' (something from the Hellenic philosophical tradition), even the idea of divine 'essence' or 'nature' is a metaphor, as God is beyond essences, natures, etc.

God is in a class of Its own, there is nothing else equivalent to or even like God.
and see we agree.... I do not believe I am G!d, I believe I am one with G!d. Do I grock the entire scope of that? No. But G!d is in me, not like a raisin is in a bun, but like the wave is in the ocean.
The philosophical problem is to do with predicates: say anything of God, and the opposite can be inferred, so nothing can accurately be predicated of God, because a predicate infers 'this' and 'not that', which can lead to erroneous assumptions about the Divine.
agreed
By the same token, nothing in and of a human nature can be called divine, because natures are created, and the Divine is not created ... human nature is 'open' to the Divine, but human nature is not inherently divine.
imo, everything is divine, G!d didn't make no mistakes.
Understanding God is harder than all that put together ... how can it not be? God lies beyond every mode of comprehension and expression.
having an understanding and being able to express it are two completey different things.
These days, my theology is leading me to a contemplation of language itself.

Thomas
Therin lies the problem with all of it. We are using language in all religions like infidel, G!d, hell, sin....all of which whose definitions don't fit the definitions they were written in.

[/QUOTE] I've run the course of this discussion, Wil.
I'm glad it ain't so....

Please define Unitic.
I forgot to go back and do that better....

The five principles upon which followers of the Unity Christian religion base their faith are:

1. God is good

God is absolute good and everywhere present.

There is only One Power and One Presence active in the universe and in my life, God, the Good, Omnipotent.

God is the source and creator of all. There is no other enduring power. God is good and present everywhere.

Biblical reference: Deut. 6:4-5

2. People are good

Since humans are made in the image of God, they have a spark of divinity within them and therefore are inherently good also.

Our essence is of God; therefore, we are inherently good. This God essence was fully expressed in Jesus, the Christ.

We are spiritual beings, created in God’s image. The spirit of God lives within each person; therefore, all people are inherently good.

Biblical reference: John 14:20

3. Thoughts create experiences

Human beings create their experiences by the activity of their thinking. Everything in the manifest realm has its beginning in thoughts.

We are co-creators with God, creating reality through thoughts held in mind.

We create our life experiences through our way of thinking.
Biblical reference: Galatians 6:7

4. Prayer is connection

Prayer is creative thinking that heightens the connection with God and therefore brings forth wisdom, healing, prosperity and everything good.

Through affirmative prayer and meditation, I connect with God and bring out the good in my life.

There is power in affirmative prayer, which we believe increases our connection to God.

Biblical reference: Matthew 5:37 and 6:6

5. Action is needed

Knowing and understanding the laws of life—also called truth—is not enough. A person must live the truth that he or she knows.

Through thoughts, words and actions, we live in the truth we know.
Knowledge of these spiritual principles is not enough. We must live them.

Biblical reference: James 2:14-18

Explanation

The first two principles state the belief that since God is good, so are people inherently good. This is contrary to many other Christian religions that state that people are born into sin. Unity has a more positive viewpoint toward humanity, which is refreshing to many.

The third principle implies that a positive attitude will lead to positive things in your life.

The fourth principle emphasizes that prayer is important in improving your life. Since humans are considered good, there is no mention of praying for forgiveness of your sins. However, forgiveness of your self and others is encouraged.

The final principle moves people to action in leading a good life.
These concepts combine to form a belief system that is the basis for the Unity religion.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT][SIZE=+1]5 Basic Unity Principles[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT][SIZE=-1]The Youth Version
  1. God is all good and active in everything, everywhere.
  2. I am naturally good because God's Divinity is in me and in everyone.
  3. I create my experiences by what I choose to think and what I feel and believe.
  4. Through affirmative prayer and meditation, I connect with God and bring out the good in my life.
  5. I do and give my best by living the Truth. I know I make a difference.
"Our mission is not to entertain the children, but to call them out. To be always entertained is to be dwarfed and dependent. To be 'called out' is to follow the harmonious law of the soul's unfoldment. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT]Who meddles with the rosebud? What fingers are deft enough to pry open that marvel of folded beauty? We are wise enough to leave it alone to follow the glad law of its own unfolding. [/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT]But our children! Have we dealt as wisely with these buds of marvelous possibilities? Have we always remembered that they, too, must quicken and unfold through the innate law of their own genius?" ~Myrtle Fillmore (co-founder of Unity)[/FONT][/SIZE]

Hi Wil —
I do not believe I am G!d, I believe I am one with G!d.
What makes you think that? I do not think we are even one with ourselves.

Logically, if you are one with God, then you would know what God knows, and you would be what God is ...
... but it occurs to me you mean one in the moral and metaphorical sense, a carnal sense (see below). Your argument makes sense to me now.

I think the 'one-ness' of which Christ speaks is something else altogether, a union at the level of being, not a moral or metaphorical union, but a real or actual union of the one indwelling the other — each is present to the other as person-to-person, as it were, rather than a unity of abstract ideals — an order of being you flatly reject.

It is this order of union that Christ hopes and prays for — and that in itself is evidence enough that it is not a given — it is so far beyond the human horizon.

Christ says, "I am the way, the truth and the life", but as you continually inform me, the way and the truth of it, the words and the deeds of it, the life of it, you refute as the myth-making, the fantasies and fabrications of old men sitting round the fire telling stories that grow with the telling. In so doing, you've reduced Christianity to a human moral paradigm.

Consider St Paul:
"And I, brethren, could not speak to you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal ... I gave you milk to drink, not meat; for you were not able as yet. But neither indeed are you now able; for you are yet carnal."
1 Corinthians 3:2

One-ness in the Christian Tradition means the Indwelling of the Holy Spirit within the soul:
"For you have not received the spirit of bondage again in fear; but you have received the spirit (pneuma) of adoption of sons, whereby we cry: Abba (Father)."
Romans 8:15

"And because you are sons (by adoption), God hath sent the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying: Abba, Father."
Galatians 4:6

You reject this order of teaching as pious exaggeration ... but the author of Hebrews declares:
"For whereas for the time you ought to be masters, you have need to be taught again what are the first principles (arche) of the oracles (logion) of God: and you are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat."
Hebrews 5:12

I think the process of rationalisation, that is a rendering of the mystery according to the measure of oneself, has accelerated significantly since the Enlightenment. As in the Quest for the Historical Jesus — it's an abstraction, as the only Jesus we have is the Jesus of Scripture — so the quest resolves itself to a fiction — the 'historical Jesus' is more a fabrication than the Scriptural Jesus.

But G!d is in me, not like a raisin is in a bun, but like the wave is in the ocean.
As I see it, the 'wave' is not the ocean, nor any part of the ocean, nor of the nature of the ocean — a wave is one thing, the ocean is another thing — but the ocean is not the wave, nor is the wave the ocean.

And the wave is an effect, caused upon the ocean by something else — and that's the bit I'm saying you can't and won't see.

imo, everything is divine, G!d didn't make no mistakes.
If everything is divine, then it would know as God knows, would it not, and it would be atemporal, and infinite ... but it patently is not, 'everything' exists in time and place, and is subject to change, to growth and decay ... not like the divine at all ... and where d'you get mistakes from? God does make mistakes ...

having an understanding and being able to express it are two completey different things. Therin lies the problem with all of it.
No, therein lies the difference between what is, and what you assume is ... if you were divine, and I were divine, we would know it, beyond expression.

We are using language in all religions like infidel, G!d, hell, sin....all of which whose definitions don't fit the definitions they were written in.
That's assuming you understand the language in the first place ... I don't think you do, or rather, you do in terms of the letter, but not the spirit.

God bless,

Thomas

Namaste Thomas,

Yes Jesus said I and the Father are one...but also I can do nothing but what the Father does thru me...and even take this cup from me.

That is the difference between Jesus and his Christ self. His Christ self is one with all, just as yours is.

Yes not thru Jesus do we get to the father, bu thru the Christ within.

No the ocean is not the wave, and the wave is not the ocean....but if you capture part of the wave, you get the ingredients of the ocean. In the scope of things the wave is temporal, like our bodies, and the ocean permanent (well yeah, we know it is not, but in our lives it is, and for the sake of discussion it is....and since nothing totally describes G!d this analogy doesn't perfectly either...no surprise there)

Everything is divine, not divinity. It is a word. You get excited when someone calls your wife's cooking divine? You gonna deny it? Everything is of the father.

too much fun Thomas.

If everything is divine, then it would know as God knows, would it not, and it would be atemporal, and infinite ... but it patently is not, 'everything' exists in time and place, and is subject to change, to growth and decay ... not like the divine at all

My big toe is a part of myself, but I do not think it knows how to do algebra by itself. :)

If we are a fraction of the Divine, we cannot know all of the Divine as if we were complete.

Each of us is part of humanity - humanity knows many things, is a compound of much knowledge - but each human being does not know all that humanity knows.

The universe around us is in a constant state of change. That the Divine is within all things that change is irrelevant to the nature of the Divine. When I drive a car, and the car rusts, this does not change the nature of the driver.

My big toe is a part of myself, but I do not think it knows how to do algebra by itself. :)

If we are a fraction of the Divine, we cannot know all of the Divine as if we were complete.

Each of us is part of humanity - humanity knows many things, is a compound of much knowledge - but each human being does not know all that humanity knows.

The universe around us is in a constant state of change. That the Divine is within all things that change is irrelevant to the nature of the Divine. When I drive a car, and the car rusts, this does not change the nature of the driver.
Yeah, what he said.

Back to the wave....

When you stand out there on the beach....the enormity of the ocean is indescribable....as is G!d. But that wave is full of what the ocean is, the water, the minerals, the life. And when that wave hits you, knocks you down, rolls you against the sand, you learn a piece of its potential and get to respect it. And if you get a board, you can learn to ride it, experience it in another way....and if you go beyond where it breaks and stand on the sand at chin deep....a wave will come that is over your head, one that contains all the power to knock you down and drowned you or drag you out to see....but if you work with it, instead it will gently just lift you up, and then set you back down on the sand right where your feet were.

Yes...anyone has the opportunity to tear that analogy to threads and disagree that it does not correctly encompass the full scope of G!d and our relationship...or they can just smile, enjoy, and be amazed at how G!d manifests in nature all around us umpteen different ways.....

And back to that mirror....we can only see G!d in others, and in nature, because G!d is within ourselves.

Namaskar

Hi Wil —

That is the difference between Jesus and his Christ self. His Christ self is one with all, just as yours is.
No, that's not what the total text says.

We are sons of Adam, or the sons of man, as St Paul teaches: "The first man Adam was made into a living soul" (1 Corinthians 15:45). Jesus is also a man, taking our Adamic human nature, and is thus, like us, a Son of Man, but unlike us his being derives ultimately from His uncreated essence, God.

St Paul goes on to define Christ as "the last Adam into a quickening spirit" (1 Cor. 15:45), 'last' in the sense of ultimate being — God — not the last man ever to be born. It is this 'quickening spirit' (of God) — His quickening spirit — that spiritualises us in the ultimate sense, by the union of God with the human soul, which we call deification, by adoption: "but you have received the spirit of adoption of sons, whereby we cry: Abba (Father)" (Romans 8:5), not by virtue of our inherent nature, whereas Jesus Christ is the Son of God by virtue of his divine essence.

When we receive Christ into the soul (an incarnation) we become Sons of God, but unlike Christ it is by adoption of our nature, not by our nature per se.

"Purge out the old leaven (Adam), that you may be a new paste, as you are unleavened. For Christ our pasch is sacrificed (by which we are leavened, by the infusion of Him — 'a quickening spirit' — into the human soul)."
(1 Corinthians 5:7)

"If then any be in Christ a new creature," and note we are a new creature in Him, not in ourselves) the old things are passed away (our Adamic self), behold all things are made new (our adopted, deiform, Christic self."
2 Corinthians 5:17

"For in Christ Jesus (the Son of Adam) neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, (as id does for the Adamic human nature) but a new creature." (the Incarnation of the man-God).
Galatians 6:15

You can't just ignore those elements of the texts that inconveniently refute your thesis.

There is a union of a divine and a human nature in the Incarnation, in theology this is called the Hypostatic Union (hypostasis means to 'stand under'), the human person of Jesus Christ stands under the eternal divine 'person' as the ontological source of His being. He is the manifestation of the Logos of God, without change, alteration, division or separation. Thus the human person of Christ is the manifest (in human) form of the Uncreated we term 'God'. Jesus Christ then is the material substance (the physical manifestation) of the divine essence.

In man, we are a hypostatic union of a purely created nature, each human being stands under the created nature of its universal essence — humanity. Thus the distinction between man and Christ is absolute, He is, in His ultimate ground of being, uncreated (with all that that implies) whereas our ultimate ground of being is a created nature, distinct from all other created natures (dogs, stones, stars, etc).

+++

Again and again, here and elsewhere in Scripture, the process is the realisation not of our true human nature, which opens onto a purely Adamic or human potentiality, but the realisation of a human nature that is open to a substantial (spiritual) union God (God is a spirit) — remembering that union requires two things to be joined, the divine spirit (pneuma) and the human person (soma, as opposed to sarx, which is the flesh of the soma) not one thing realising itself (that is not a union).

This is what I mean by the reduction of Christianity to a morality — Christ preaches a morality, such as charity, for the sake of God, in that the object of Christian charity is divine union; humanism preaches charity for the same of man only, and not with any divine end in mind.

We become one with the Father, we are not one with the Father to begin with, as He is.

We are physical beings who, in Him, become spiritual beings; He is a spiritual being who, in the Incarnation, became flesh.

The New Testament is not talking about some abstract spirituality, which reduces to a set of moral values by which a person can be called 'good' (and attain an eternal reward) but the concrete actuality of the Person of Jesus Christ, in whose being we can participate in the Divine Life, an actual and substantial union, and taste the Good in Him, rather than participate in a set of moral vales, and taste 'good' in a relative and contingent manner.

Yes not thru Jesus do we get to the father, bu thru the Christ within.
Actually, through the Holy Spirit we get to Jesus, and through Jesus we get to the Father.

And the 'within' infers its not what we do, but the reason why we do it, our acts come from within when we are mindful.

Christ is not something in you, something else in me, something else in everyone else; nor is Christ parcelled out in bits and pieces among those who seek Him, Christ is the one and same Christ in all of us, which means Christ is greater than us ... and we are called not to seek this reflective and relative goodness in ourselves and in others, but the source of that image that is reflected in each and every soul.

So we must go within, yes ... but we are called to go beyond ourselves, into Him. He says 'follow me' precisely in the same way an explorer follows the river to its source, not to stand in the river and say "I am the river', which may in a metaphorical sense be true, but the river is not the source of the river, but a sign of a source.

I do not seek the corporeal living waters of the Word, as you seem to, but the spiritual source from which they flow.

"For both the Jews require signs, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews indeed a stumblingblock, and unto the Gentiles foolishness" (1 Corinthians 1:22-23)
Christ is in signs (the metaphysical discourse of the Jews) and in wisdom (the metaphysical discourse of the Gentiles), but He is in Himself neither of those two things, He is the cause of them.

You reject Christ, as traditional Christianity preaches Him, because the way of the spiritual life in Christ is a stumblingblock to you, a foolishness.

No the ocean is not the wave, and the wave is not the ocean ...
Absolutely.

but if you capture part of the wave, you get the ingredients of the ocean.
But not the wave ... that's my point. You seek the water, I seek what animates the water.

A wave is a motion in the water
Yes!

In the scope of things the wave is temporal, like our bodies, and the ocean permanent (well yeah, we know it is not, but in our lives it is, and for the sake of discussion it is....and since nothing totally describes G!d this analogy doesn't perfectly either...no surprise there)
The analogy does not fit because you've missed the essential, spiritual, point – no surprises there — if the wave, water in a certain place and time, is analogous to the body, then the ocean is analogous to the universe, the totality of bodies — but I seek Christ who moves the universe, from outside the universe:
"And he said to them: You are from beneath (the ocean), I am from above (the spirit). You are of this world, I am not of this world."
John 8:23

"And the spirit of God moved over the waters" (Genesis 1:2) — Jesus calls us to seek the spirit, not the waters.

Everything is divine, not divinity. It is a word.
And words have meaning, else discourse is meaningless.

You get excited when someone calls your wife's cooking divine? You gonna deny it? Everything is of the father.
Now you're rendering the meaning of words silly. No-one thus claims that my wife's cooking is God. Last night I told the chef in a Thai restaurant that her coconut rice 'was to die for', but I am not prepared to throw myself on my sword for another bowl of rice.

But people eat fugu fish because of the risk ... so one might say 'fugu fish is to die for' and mean it ... go figure!

Go within and seek yourself Wil, but don't stop there!

"Jesus said, "Let him who seeks continue seeking until he finds. When he finds, he will become troubled. When he becomes troubled, he will be astonished, and he will rule over the All."
Gospel of Thomas, logion 2.

"Rather, the kingdom is inside of you, and it is outside of you (so it is more than you). When you come to know yourselves, then you will become known, and you will realize that it is you who are the sons of the living father. But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty."
Gospel of Thomas, logion 3.
You know yourself as yourself, and identify what is greater than you, as you, which is illogical.

Look at the text: When you come to know yourself, then you will become known ... by whom will you become known?

"Dearly beloved, we are now the sons of God; and it hath not yet appeared what we shall be. We know, that, when he shall appear, we shall be like to him: because we shall see him as he is."
The point of seeking is not to find Him in us — which is only ever partial, contingent and incomplete — but to find ourselves in Him — which is eternal, and truly transcendent.

God bless,

Thomas

Back