Demotivational post

tychomorpheus

Established Member
Reaction score
Motivational speaking is not worth a rotten carrot because from my personal experience people usually are in the way that it helps them face reality. Their reality. This idea that you have all the right answers is wrong. Plain and simple.

I read once, on the comment list of an article about the law of attraction, a post from a woman in disdain: "you mean that i have attracted the car crash that killed my husband into my life". Now that is a problem. How do you explain the law of attraction to people who suffered genuine catastrophic accidents, how do you explain that happiness is a state of the spirit, a means of travel not a destination as i read in some place, to people born sick, how do you explain sexual enlightment to gay people, how do you dare to bring into discussion self healing energy to a family who's father died of leuchemia in 2 weeks, how do you tell a mother who's son is abusing drugs that all beings are individual and her son is a separate entity who's decisions are personal.

People go trough events like they are tied up to a crazy carrousel train and face a strong wind blowing their cheeks and an emptiness in thei stomach when they go down and they feel like flying when they go up. Some people dont like the flying sensation. Some people like the emptyness in their somach. Some people hate the God damn wind.

How was that song? The race is long and in the end its only with yourself.

While we are in the difficulty we cannot see the good. We cannot understand grace, we cannot see how we attracted whatever, or why this experience came into our lives.

One either believes it or one doesn't. But another trying to instill the law of attraction on one who's life is in turmoil is referred to as metaphysical malpractice.

One who believes knows that death is the inevitable end to this cycle of life. No mystery about that, the whys, whens, wheres, how fors...that is a different story and part of thier life lesson, (both the departed and the survivors). Our issue is we get attached to these bodies, and the bodies of the entities we come into contact with. Holding onto the past is what causes much consternation in these times.

I find many motivational speakers and contemplation to be rehashing in a different language the same old stuff...but often it is stuff I need to hear, and sometimes it is put in a way that allows me to hear...and I appreciate that.

One from the other day....Karma is memory. Let go the memory, live in the now, and the karmic action is gone...

So basically you're saying that motivational speakers are more targeted at those who already believe like for example scientific events in which the common layman feels fairly weird? Do motivational speakers have any missionary role?

So basically you're saying that motivational speakers are more targeted at those who already believe like for example scientific events in which the common layman feels fairly weird?
Sorry Tyc, I read that five times and still can't figure out exactly what you are asking.
Do motivational speakers have any missionary role?
I think most definitely. Now their are the religious motivational speakers which would be obvious. But I believe every motivational speaker has an agenda to promote, while whether that agenda would be more philanthropic or personal gain would be up for debate sometime, they are all promoting something. It is like running for President....in order to do this you have to seriously believe you have an answer to the important current issues of the day and you are the only one who can take the helm to solve them. A motivational speaker has items/ideas/concepts that they feel need to be heard, need to be spread, for the bettement of mankind.

Stop working hard. Take a break. Life doesn't have to be a performance. Let's all be lazy and take it easy.

Motivational thinking can often be tied to feel-good philosophies that deny any personal responsibility.
...or in the case of the law of attraction, accountability for things that are really out of your control to get you to worry about every little thought in your head and buy more self-help books so you can succeed, grow rich, etc.
I do believe there is some practical advice for people to kick bad habits. They can remind themselves that there is good to be found in bad situations. That they can achieve much (but not everything) by planning and giving themselves credit for their true abilities.
But people have been too gullible about self-help promises. I fell for some of them myself. Now that Oprah is going off the air maybe people will get over it a little.

Back