Judaism and Christianity is indebted to Zoroastrianism the Heritage of True Aryans

Re: Judaism and Christianity is indebted to Zoroastrianism the Heritage of True Aryan

mojobadshah: the oldest texts on this planet are from the Vedas of Hinduism, Hinduism is actually monotheistic as well: Brahman is the only, but the other devas are aspects thereof. Some scholarly reports say this tradition can be dated as far back as 12,000 BC - how far back does Zarathustra go? Most report he was born in 650 AD.

Hinduism is NOWHERE near as distinctly monotheistic as Zoroastrianism, and though may some my place the Vedas at 12,000 B.C. the Mittani texts which are the oldest reference point to the linguists for any Indo-Iranian language and they are dated c. 1400 B.C, and those texts are written in an Aryan and not an Indic language. Ultimately, there is no way to determine which language Avestan or Vedic is more archaic than the others based on the consonants or vowels because we don't even know what their common ancestor looked like for certain. But Old Avestan actually demonstrates inflections that makes Vedic look more like Young Avestan. There is no reference to this 12,000 B.C. dating by other cultures whereas both the ancient Greco-Romans place Zoroaster around 6000 B.C.

"God" certainly not, and the Hebrew monotheism was independent of, and older than, the Zoroastrian conception of it, which includes all this apparatus of "Angel" manifestations from God and a "Devil" anti-God and "Demon" manifestations from the anti-God, all of which was alien to the Hebrew tradition but common in the flavor of "Judaism" which the early Christians took for granted-- this baggage has not survived into modern Judaism.

"God" as the majority of the world knows "God," and according to the interpretation of the Old Testament, the New Testament, and the Koran, certainly. Bob X you said it yourself the Hebrews were henotheists.

Hell no! Hebrew monotheism was not independent of and older than Zoroastrian monotheism. Elohim meant "Gods" not "God," Abraham acknowledged El Shaddai, whereas Moses acknowledged Yahweh, two different Gods. The Jews acknowledged other Gods like Ashera, Marduk, and Baal. Deuteronomy mentions "there is no other God," but that part of Deuteronomy written after the Jews had come into contact with the Zoroastrians, moreover the deities recognized as angels in English translations of the Old Testament shared divine status and were not lowered to semi-divine status until the Jews had come into contact with the Zoroastrians.

Moreover, the pre-Exhilic Old Testament God(s) were not omnipotent, and they were not omniscient. There was no patronym for them, nor any implication as to how long they've been around or how long they'll be around.

I know you want to say that Genesis was older than the Avesta. Some forms like Yahweh may have been, but I don't get any sense that the Hebrews had an oral tradition in the same sense that the Zoroastrians did in the sense that it was unrecorded comparable to a human tape recorder. And we think the copies of the Old Testament books like Genesis which are in existence date back to a master which was compiled in Persia, the Zoroastrian Empire.

Re: Judaism and Christianity is indebted to Zoroastrianism the Heritage of True Aryan

Our first monotheistic religion was with the Egyptian Pharaoh Akhenaten who devised a Solar Deity myth (the Aten). It is almost conclusive that the Mosaic beliefs are based on this exact religion.

Hinduism is NOWHERE near as distinctly monotheistic as Zoroastrianism
Zoroastrianism like the Abrahamic faiths sees God as an entity distinct from the universe, which is not the Hindu concept of an underlying unity of all; nor is that Hindu conception something found in the Vedas, which were more crudely polytheistic.
some my place the Vedas at 12,000 B.C... whereas both the ancient Greco-Romans place Zoroaster around 6000 B.C.
The 6000 BC date is every bit as silly as the 12,000 BC date. The chauvinism of your sources is just as bad as the Hindu chauvinism.
Bob X you said it yourself the Hebrews were henotheists.
I said that was the first stage they went through. The shift to monotheism, however, was long before they had ever heard of Persians, indeed before Persians existed as a distinct people.
Elohim meant "Gods" not "God,"
This is what called the "plural of respect", analogous to the usage of plural forms of the second person (English "you" is originally the plural; the singular was "thou" but it was rude to address most people that day, until finally it became considered rude to address anyone that way) and the royal "we".
Abraham acknowledged El Shaddai, whereas Moses acknowledged Yahweh, two different Gods.
No, they were not different. Moses refers to YHWH as the "God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob" and the earliest recorded usage of YHWH as a divine name is in a story about Abraham. The use of titles to avoid speaking the true name unnecessarily is very ancient, related to such taboos as saying "bear" rather than the real name of that animal, etc. We have been over this many times before.
The Jews acknowledged other Gods like Ashera, Marduk, and Baal.
The Bible is plain that those who did bow to other gods were enemies of the religion.
Deuteronomy mentions "there is no other God," but that part of Deuteronomy written after the Jews had come into contact with the Zoroastrians
Deuteronomy is one of the oldest and best-preserved sources. There is no evidence whatsoever for Persian-period editings there.
moreover the deities recognized as angels in English translations of the Old Testament
What are you even talking about here???
I know you want to say that Genesis was older than the Avesta. Some forms like Yahweh may have been, but I don't get any sense that the Hebrews had an oral tradition in the same sense that the Zoroastrians did
They had a WRITTEN tradition.
And we think the copies of the Old Testament books like Genesis which are in existence date back to a master which was compiled in Persia, the Zoroastrian Empire.
Who is "we"? The standardization of the text is one thing; the source of the text is something. All copies of the Avesta which are in existence date back to a master which was compiled under Islamic rule; that does not mean that was the origin of the Avesta.

The 6000 BC date is every bit as silly as the 12,000 BC date. The chauvinism of your sources is just as bad as the Hindu chauvinism.

I'm not so sure about that either dates are really silly as you say especially after you pointed out that we have evidence of lunar calendars that goes back 60,000 years.

I said that was the first stage they went through. The shift to monotheism, however, was long before they had ever heard of Persians, indeed before Persians existed as a distinct people.

Where's your source for this?

This is what called the "plural of respect", analogous to the usage of plural forms of the second person (English "you" is originally the plural; the singular was "thou" but it was rude to address most people that day, until finally it became considered rude to address anyone that way) and the royal "we".

How do we know that for certain? And what about the 7 day dedications to the 7 planets or gods, and what about Yahweh Elohim "the we who is the savior?"

No, they were not different. Moses refers to YHWH as the "God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob" and the earliest recorded usage of YHWH as a divine name is in a story about Abraham. The use of titles to avoid speaking the true name unnecessarily is very ancient, related to such taboos as saying "bear" rather than the real name of that animal, etc. We have been over this many times before.

That's not the way others interpret this. El Shaddai was the local God of the Sinai, and according to what the passage in Exodus states Abraham didn't know the name Yahweh, which is probably because Yahweh wasn't even a Hebrew word to begin with. Apparently the true origin of the term is unknown, but I do recall associations with fire similarly to how the fire is a symbol for God in Zoroastrianism, and recall my hypothesis as to how the Pater Noster in Zoroastrianism "Yatha Ahu Vairya" is where the word Yahweh was derived, and now that I think about it isn't Hashem one of the names of God too which sounds strikingly similar to the Hymn to Righteousnes "Ashem Vohu."

The Bible is plain that those who did bow to other gods were enemies of the religion.

But didn't Solomon erect a statue dedicated to Ashura in his temple?

Deuteronomy is one of the oldest and best-preserved sources. There is no evidence whatsoever for Persian-period editings there.

You're wrong (see Book of Deuteronomy-Composition History)

What are you even talking about here???

see Angel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They had a WRITTEN tradition.
The standardization of the text is one thing; the source of the text is something. All copies of the Avesta which are in existence date back to a master which was compiled under Islamic rule; that does not mean that was the origin of the Avesta.[/QUOTE]

But where is this source text? The Avestan unrecorded oral tradition was just as reliable as anything written. When it was committed to writing is irrelevant.

Our first monotheistic religion was with the Egyptian Pharaoh Akhenaten who devised a Solar Deity myth (the Aten). It is almost conclusive that the Mosaic beliefs are based on this exact religion.

Don't you find it curious that the Aryan Mitanni made itself present in Amarna shortly before Akhenaten devised this Aten in Amarna?

Don't you find it curious that the Aryan Mitanni made itself present in Amarna shortly before Akhenaten devised this Aten in Amarna?
Matter of fact I do . . .
The Sun/Son Orion (Christ-Krist Karast from Egyptian) rising from the East (Orient)... Akhenaten instated the Mitanni Aryan [Orion] solar cult as the official monotheistic [ONE God] religion of Egypt. The Armenian Orion Cult based in and around the sacred Mitanni city of Urhai [Ourhai or Ori-On] was the sacred religion guarded by the high priest Egyptian kings [going back to ages of recorded history].

I did mention the Assyrians and other Mesopotamian tribes being prior to the creation of the Christ myth . . . but this info is quite interesting. I'm off to research . . . thank you!

I've come to the conclusion that at any third party e.g. Jewish Christian or Muslim useage of the concepts that originated with the Aryan cultural heritage including the religious or Zoroastrian heritage of the Aryan people (Afghans, Iranians, Tajiks, Kurds, etc...) in commerce and for non-prophet use are indebted to the Aryan community. This means concepts like "God" "Angels" "the Devil" "Demons" "The Messiah" "The Kingdom of God" "Heaven" "Hell" "The Resurrection" and "Judgment Day," the concepts which would make or break the Abrahamic religious institutions. Who's against me?

im for you but because im for you i have to be against your beliefs ..
and you shouldnt be smoking that stuff ..it kills the brain cells and heaven knows you need them even more than me..

I'm not so sure about that either dates are really silly as you say especially after you pointed out that we have evidence of lunar calendars that goes back 60,000 years.
They consist of scratch-marks on rocks, in groups of 30 and 29, with pictorial indications of where the sunrises had shifted (as viewed from the marker rock) after each month. Believing that anything like a written text, or any languages similar to Indo-European, existed at such early dates is just silliness.
And what about the 7 day dedications to the 7 planets or gods
That's not in Genesis, it is simply a theory as to how the assignment of the seven creative acts (all performed by the One God in Genesis) to the 7 days originated (it is Robert Graves' theory, not mine, but I quoted it as plausible). The assignments of the planets to the days was by the Chaldeans c. 1800 BC before any Iranians existed; and was never adopted by the Zoroastrians, who stuck to the older quarter-phase week-- itself borrowed from a more southern source, the original Indo-European lunar calendar having been based on "fortnights" (half months) rather than "weeks" (quarter months).
, and what about Yahweh Elohim "the we who is the savior?"
Where in the world are you getting "the we who is the savior"????
according to what the passage in Exodus states Abraham didn't know the name Yahweh
That's a dubious interpretation of Exodus, since as I have pointed out to you before, a passage in Genesis in very archaic Hebrew shows Abraham using the name.
which is probably because Yahweh wasn't even a Hebrew word to begin with.
It IS a Hebrew word, from the root h-w-h "to be" with the y- prefix of third-person singular. The root had shifted to h-y-h by the time of the kingdoms of Judah and Israel, so this name is more ancient than that. (The w->y shift is seen in other roots, as ch-w-h "to live" becoming ch-y-h but still in its archaic form in the name Chawwah "Eve", indicating that the Adam-and-Eve story is also quite old.)
I do recall associations with fire
From where? You have never shown any source for this; it continues to look like something you just made up.
recall my hypothesis as to how the Pater Noster in Zoroastrianism "Yatha Ahu Vairya" is where the word Yahweh was derived
Recall the multiple reasons I gave you why that hypothesis is utter rubbish.
isn't Hashem one of the names of God too which sounds strikingly similar to the Hymn to Righteousnes "Ashem Vohu."
LOL!!! Hebrew ha-shem means "the name": it isn't itself a name, it is the word that MEANS "name"; so when they don't want to try to pronounce The Name they say "The Name".
But didn't Solomon erect a statue dedicated to Ashura in his temple?
And didn't a prophet immediately denounce this, and predict that his son would lose most of his territory as punishment?
Interesting. What is ascribed here to the Persian period is the tacking-on of the last chapters, although these are described as pre-existing independent texts rather than as new composition, and some expansion of the legal code (I had not heard of anybody proposing that any of the legal material was of such a late date, and do not know the arguments for it, but this is not very relevant to the development of the theology).
What I find is that only Daniel in the canon (a book that pretends to have been written under the Babylonian regime but was actually composed during the revolt against the Greeks) mentions "angels" Michael and Gabriel, while only Tobit in the Catholic canon (not canonical to Protestants or Jews) mentions a "demon" Asmodeus. Your claim is that Michael and Gabriel used to be gods? I don't see anything that would point in such a direction. Asmodeus does appear to be Ashma-deva, one of the pagan deities denounced by Zoroaster; and the concept of "angels" in Daniel is certainly a post-Persian influence, alien to anything in the older texts.
The Avestan unrecorded oral tradition was just as reliable as anything written. When it was committed to writing is irrelevant.
Only Iranians, in your view, are capable of remembering anything old???
The Mitanni were exuberant polytheists. What relevance do you see?

They consist of scratch-marks on rocks, in groups of 30 and 29, with pictorial indications of where the sunrises had shifted (as viewed from the marker rock) after each month. Believing that anything like a written text, or any languages similar to Indo-European, existed at such early dates is just silliness.

Yeah, I see you're point, all I'm saying is that it is interesting to note that the Old Avestan composition does describe the lunar month, and the Greeks had a lunar months, so I don't agree that it's totally absurd that they were not able to count the months from the beginning of their recollection of Zoroaster to when they came up with their 6000 year placement of Zoroaster's life.

That's not in Genesis, it is simply a theory as to how the assignment of the seven creative acts (all performed by the One God in Genesis) to the 7 days originated (it is Robert Graves' theory, not mine, but I quoted it as plausible). The assignments of the planets to the days was by the Chaldeans c. 1800 BC before any Iranians existed; and was never adopted by the Zoroastrians, who stuck to the older quarter-phase week-- itself borrowed from a more southern source, the original Indo-European lunar calendar having been based on "fortnights" (half months) rather than "weeks" (quarter months).

I'm a little dislexic, tell me how the Chaldean day dedications even matter, because both of them had a quarter-phase week, and neither of them were always exactly 7 days, but the quarter phase in Zoroastrian was dedicated to God, whereas the quarter-phase in Chaldean was dedicated to one of seven deities/planets, so how do we know that the Chaldean day of rest dedicated to God didn't originate with the Zoroastrians?

Where in the world are you getting "the we who is the savior"????

Sorry the meaning of Yahweh has slipped my mind, but it doesn't really detract from my point that Yahweh was just one of several Elohim. I don't know if this has any relevance but aren't the plural ending similar to that in the word Nephalem which designates "Sons of Watchers?"

That's a dubious interpretation of Exodus, since as I have pointed out to you before, a passage in Genesis in very archaic Hebrew shows Abraham using the name.

This is what I got:

And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty (El Shaddai), but by my name JEHOVAH (Yahweh) was I not known to them. – Exodus 6.3

What would you're translation be?

From where? You have never shown any source for this; it continues to look like something you just made up.

I can't quite recall the source for Yahweh as the fire, but there is the example of the burning bush, which is very Zoroastrian imagery. But as far as the initial meaning of the word Yahweh being unknown see the bottom of Exodus 6:3 I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac and to Jacob as God Almighty, but by my name the LORD I did not make myself known to them.

Recall the multiple reasons I gave you why that hypothesis is utter rubbish.

LOL!!! Hebrew ha-shem means "the name": it isn't itself a name, it is the word that MEANS "name"; so when they don't want to try to pronounce The Name they say "The Name".

Hey it was worth a shot. But how do you know it wasn't ha-ashem to begin with so when they don't want to pronounce the name they say Ashem "all that good stuff" instead of Yatha Ahu Vairya: Yahweh "Praise Lord Best"?

Interesting. What is ascribed here to the Persian period is the tacking-on of the last chapters, although these are described as pre-existing independent texts rather than as new composition, and some expansion of the legal code (I had not heard of anybody proposing that any of the legal material was of such a late date, and do not know the arguments for it, but this is not very relevant to the development of the theology).

What's irrelevant about it? The authors of Deuteronomy added chapters to the Deuteronomy to explain the reason behind their Exodus, and they incorporated the strict monotheist elements of the Zoroastrian Empire which had liberated them, and their reason behind their Exodus was that they did not worship only one God and no others.

What I find is that only Daniel in the canon (a book that pretends to have been written under the Babylonian regime but was actually composed during the revolt against the Greeks) mentions "angels" Michael and Gabriel, while only Tobit in the Catholic canon (not canonical to Protestants or Jews) mentions a "demon" Asmodeus. Your claim is that Michael and Gabriel used to be gods? I don't see anything that would point in such a direction. Asmodeus does appear to be Ashma-deva, one of the pagan deities denounced by Zoroaster; and the concept of "angels" in Daniel is certainly a post-Persian influence, alien to anything in the older texts.

The Bible uses the words Mal’akh Elohim, ha-qodeshim, and ha’elyoneem to refer to messengers of God, however they do not become demoted to the rank of semi-divine beings, nor did they acquire personal names, until after the Jews had made contact with the Zoroastrian Empire.

Only Iranians, in your view, are capable of remembering anything old???

That is totally not my point. My point is that the Zoroastrian scriptures were passed down word for word, virtually unchanged, from generation to generation to this very day, in the sense that you might as well have considered it written, whereas the way you describe the transmission of the Pentateuch it was only particular words that were preserved, but not necessarily the larger concepts until they were committed to writing such as with the Dead Sea Scrolls.

The Mitanni were exuberant polytheists. What relevance do you see?

First off that the Aryans were present in Egypt. Secondly, though the West Aryan Mitra-Varuna compound doesn't quite fit the match for a precursor to Atenism, the East Aryan Mithra-Ahura Mazda compound does, but it would appear that the clearcut monotheism of the East Aryans wasn't totally incorporated into Atenism because Atenism was not really monotheism to begin with, it was henotheism as the Great Hymn of Aten shows evidence of other uncreated Gods including Maat and Re :)

Yeah, I see you're point, all I'm saying is that it is interesting to note that the Old Avestan composition does describe the lunar month, and the Greeks had a lunar months
And so did the Dakota tribes of the great plains, and so did the Australians, and so did Africans. The moon is not that hard to notice, and the idea of using it to track time dates back to the Paleolithic period. Your idea that Iranians were the first people to notice the moon, and everybody else got the idea from them, is laughable.
so I don't agree that it's totally absurd that they were not able to count the months from the beginning of their recollection of Zoroaster to when they came up with their 6000 year placement of Zoroaster's life.
Equally laughable is the notion that any language remotely like Iranian or even proto-Indo-European existed at such a date. Consider how much the languages have evolved from 1000 BC to the present: you are expecting that there had been no change whatsoever in a much longer interval.
I'm a little dislexic, tell me how the Chaldean day dedications even matter, because both of them had a quarter-phase week, and neither of them were always exactly 7 days
No, it was the Chaldeans who abandoned the quarter-phase week in favor of the strict 7-day week, approx. 2000 BC (before the existence of any Iranians) and the Hebrews adopted the strict 7-day week at some later point.
but the quarter phase in Zoroastrian was dedicated to God, whereas the quarter-phase in Chaldean was dedicated to one of seven deities/planets, so how do we know that the Chaldean day of rest dedicated to God didn't originate with the Zoroastrians?
In the calendar of Sargon, from 2300 BC, the 7th day (half-moon) is sibbutu "day of rest" (s-b-t "to rest" cognate with the Hebrew root sh-b-t as in Shabbat and related to sh-b-' "the number seven"), the 15th day (full moon, skipping a day after the second count of seven) is shappatu dedicated to one of the gods (which god depended on which month it was) with secular business again suspended, the 22nd (waning half-moon) is sibbutu again, and then the 29th (new moon) is biqquru "day of watching" because at sunset either the crescent moon returns to visibility (starting the 1st of the next month) or it doesn't (and the month has to take a 30th day).

The Zoroastrian calendar is borrowing from a system like this, but has not heard of the Chaldean refinement of counting strict-7-day weeks. We know that the Iranians are borrowing from the Middle East, rather than the reverse, for two reasons: one, the calendar of Sargon records the system in use in the Middle East well before any Iranians existed; and two, the proto-Indo-European system divided the month into two "fortnights" rather than into four phases (we find the "fortnights" shared between Vedic Sanskrit and Germanic, therefore going back to proto-Indo-European; and also among other northern steppe peoples, becoming incorporated into the Chinese-peasant calendar).
Sorry the meaning of Yahweh has slipped my mind, but it doesn't really detract from my point that Yahweh was just one of several Elohim.
You are wrong. YHWH is THE one and only Elohim; it is plural in form because it is a plural of respect.
I don't know if this has any relevance but aren't the plural ending similar to that in the word Nephalem which designates "Sons of Watchers?"
-im is the masculine plural ending (-oth the feminine plural, although some irregular masculines also take it), as generic an ending as -s in English. Nephilim does not mean "sons of watchers" (it is from the root "to fall" and may mean "the fallen" or perhaps "those who cause others to fall").
This is what I got:

And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty (El Shaddai), but by my name JEHOVAH (Yahweh) was I not known to them. – Exodus 6.3

What would you're translation be?
It is difficult to understand what is meant, but Genesis shows that Abraham used the name. Possibly the meaning is that the ancestors did not understand that YHWH was the "real" name: I have discussed with you before the common habit of giving deities various "taboo-substitute" names to avoid the unnecessary use of the "real" name which had a quasi-magical power.

Hey it was worth a shot. But how do you know it wasn't ha-ashem to begin with so when they don't want to pronounce the name they say Ashem "all that good stuff" instead of Yatha Ahu Vairya: Yahweh "Praise Lord Best"?
That's not how burden of proof works. They are using generic Hebrew words, and any "hypothesis" that you have about how they are "really" saying something else is an extraordinary claim that requires extraordinary evidence. A Hindu chauvinist could equally claim that the English word name is really Sanskrit namaste, but there is no reason to believe it. Your bad habit of just grabbing any old words that happen to have a couple consonants in common and declaring them "the same" without any explanation of how the shifts could have happened is something I have criticized you for all along.
What's irrelevant about it? The authors of Deuteronomy added chapters to the Deuteronomy to explain the reason behind their Exodus, and they incorporated the strict monotheist elements of the Zoroastrian Empire which had liberated them
That's not what the article said at all. Deuteronomy traces back to a very old document written in the time of the Judges (Professor Mendenhall saw indications that some of it is specifically addressing the political situation during Judge Samuel's time, during the Philistine occupation just before the institution of the kingship) containing their case-law and the religious motivations; this book was stashed in Solomon's Temple and forgotten about until it was found in Josiah's reign, when it caused a lot of excitement but was extensively rewritten to suit the political needs of that period (prophet Jeremiah denounces the rewriting, "How can you say, we have the book of the law, when the pen of the scribes has handled it falsely?") and underwent what I thought were the final edits during the Babylonian Captivity. Your article says there were also some changes when the text was standardized under Persian rule: namely, that some pre-existing texts which had formerly been separated books were added as final chapters, and that some new case-law was added into the legal code; but you are claiming theological changes at that late date, of which there is no sign at all.

The conception of YHWH is of a perfectly singular deity, not one with multiple aspects and manifestations as in the Zoroastrian conception. Under the monarchies of Judah and Israel, it is clear that many thought it proper to depict YHWH at least as having a dual male-female nature, but the conservative Yahwists of the sort responsible for Deuteronomy (and the "Deuteronomic History" books like Kings) denounced even this (this is the significance of the "Asherah pole" incident: Solomon thought it proper to dedicate something to the female aspect of God, but the prophets disagreed; Zoroastrians by contrast have no trouble with "Anahita").
The Bible uses the words Mal’akh Elohim, ha-qodeshim, and ha’elyoneem to refer to messengers of God
No, it doesn't. Do you really know the Bible at all?
My point is that the Zoroastrian scriptures were passed down word for word, virtually unchanged, from generation to generation to this very day, in the sense that you might as well have considered it written
I am quite certain the texts WERE written, even though we have no ancient manuscripts surviving. All of your sources speak of libraries that were burned by the Greeks under Alexander and later by Arabs under the early Caliphs; the Persians were not illiterates, and there would be no reason not to write down the holy texts. The script now used for the Avesta appears to have been standardized in the 4th century, although the master examplar (that is, the common ancestor of all manuscripts now currently in existence) is of post-Islamic date; we conclude that the script was developed in Sassanian times because the letter-shapes are related to scripts used for various Aramaic and Iranian languages at the time, similar to the even older "Armazi" used for Georgian, Armenian, and other languages of the Caucasus before Bishop Mesrots Mashtots standardized those alphabets (adding letters for peculiar sounds not well represented in the older scripts: I was looking this up for other reasons, and found the name Armazi used because it was a divine name in the region, from older Hormazki which has to be a form of Ahura Mazda).
whereas the way you describe the transmission of the Pentateuch it was only particular words that were preserved
No, I am quite certain there were older written texts, but paper just does not survive very commonly. The only reason we have focused on particular words is because of your refusal to believe that common Hebrew words come from old Hebrew and not from late Iranian.
First off that the Aryans were present in Egypt.
No, the Mitanni were in northern Iraq. What is present in Egypt is diplomatic correspondence with this faraway kingdom.
Secondly, though the West Aryan Mitra-Varuna compound doesn't quite fit the match for a precursor to Atenism
"Doesn't quite"??? Not at all, is what you mean.
the East Aryan Mithra-Ahura Mazda compound does
Except that no such thing existed until much later: in the Gathas there is no "Mithra" or any particular association of Ahura Mazda with the Sun or any other particular created being; Zoroaster himself would, I think, have found the later tendency to incorporate pagan deities as aspects of Ahura Mazda a repugnant surrender to heathenism. In any case, the Egyptians had no contact with East Iranians until the fall of Babylon.

And so did the Dakota tribes of the great plains, and so did the Australians, and so did Africans. The moon is not that hard to notice, and the idea of using it to track time dates back to the Paleolithic period. Your idea that Iranians were the first people to notice the moon, and everybody else got the idea from them, is laughable.

That's not my idea AT ALL man. My point is very simple: that many people had ways to track time, and therefore I don't see why the Greeks for example couldn't have used a similar method to track the placement of the Gathas.

Equally laughable is the notion that any language remotely like Iranian or even proto-Indo-European existed at such a date. Consider how much the languages have evolved from 1000 BC to the present: you are expecting that there had been no change whatsoever in a much longer interval.

But the language of the hymns of Zoroastrian scripture were used for liturgical use and committed to memory word for word, even over 2 millennium later they resemble their written master. So why couldn't they have been preserved in the same manner 2000 or even 4000 years before they were written?

No, it was the Chaldeans who abandoned the quarter-phase week in favor of the strict 7-day week, approx. 2000 BC (before the existence of any Iranians) and the Hebrews adopted the strict 7-day week at some later point.

Yeah, how do we know that that the quarter-phase week didn't develop from Zoroastrians quarter-phase week? Ok, so they developed from a common ancestor, but...

In the calendar of Sargon, from 2300 BC, the 7th day (half-moon) is sibbutu "day of rest" (s-b-t "to rest" cognate with the Hebrew root sh-b-t as in Shabbat and related to sh-b-' "the number seven"), the 15th day (full moon, skipping a day after the second count of seven) is shappatu dedicated to one of the gods (which god depended on which month it was) with secular business again suspended, the 22nd (waning half-moon) is sibbutu again, and then the 29th (new moon) is biqquru "day of watching" because at sunset either the crescent moon returns to visibility (starting the 1st of the next month) or it doesn't (and the month has to take a 30th day).

...how do we know that this idea of the "7th day of rest dedicated to this Shappatu" (which reminds me of the Aryan forms mogupatu "chief priest" and pad-i-shah "Emperor.) didn't develop from the Zoroastrian idea of the quarter-phase day dedication to Ahura Mazda "the wise lord."

You are wrong. YHWH is THE one and only Elohim; it is plural in form because it is a plural of respect.

Can you back this up? .

-im is the masculine plural ending (-oth the feminine plural, although some irregular masculines also take it), as generic an ending as -s in English. Nephilim does not mean "sons of watchers" (it is from the root "to fall" and may mean "the fallen" or perhaps "those who cause others to fall").

But does the -im ending in Nephilim indicate a plural form?

It is difficult to understand what is meant, but Genesis shows that Abraham used the name. Possibly the meaning is that the ancestors did not understand that YHWH was the "real" name: I have discussed with you before the common habit of giving deities various "taboo-substitute" names to avoid the unnecessary use of the "real" name which had a quasi-magical power.

Yes, that is true Yahweh-jireh. Now my question here was the entire Genesis 14 written in archaic Hebrew or was it just the word Yahweh-jireh?

That's not how burden of proof works. They are using generic Hebrew words, and any "hypothesis" that you have about how they are "really" saying something else is an extraordinary claim that requires extraordinary evidence. A Hindu chauvinist could equally claim that the English word name is really Sanskrit namaste, but there is no reason to believe it. Your bad habit of just grabbing any old words that happen to have a couple consonants in common and declaring them "the same" without any explanation of how the shifts could have happened is something I have criticized you for all along.

I wouldn't say they're totally random. They're important words in Zoroastrianism and important words in Judaism.

That's not what the article said at all. Deuteronomy traces back to a very old document written in the time of the Judges (Professor Mendenhall saw indications that some of it is specifically addressing the political situation during Judge Samuel's time, during the Philistine occupation just before the institution of the kingship) containing their case-law and the religious motivations; this book was stashed in Solomon's Temple and forgotten about until it was found in Josiah's reign, when it caused a lot of excitement but was extensively rewritten to suit the political needs of that period (prophet Jeremiah denounces the rewriting, "How can you say, we have the book of the law, when the pen of the scribes has handled it falsely?") and underwent what I thought were the final edits during the Babylonian Captivity. Your article says there were also some changes when the text was standardized under Persian rule: namely, that some pre-existing texts which had formerly been separated books were added as final chapters, and that some new case-law was added into the legal code; but you are claiming theological changes at that late date, of which there is no sign at all.

It says that Chapters 1-4 were added to the Book of Deuteronomy after the Jews had made contact with the Zoroastrian Empire and these chapters include the verse:

Unto thee it was shewed, that thou mightest know that the Lord he is God; there is none else beside him. - Deuteronomy 4:35

The conception of YHWH is of a perfectly singular deity, not one with multiple aspects and manifestations as in the Zoroastrian conception. Under the monarchies of Judah and Israel, it is clear that many thought it proper to depict YHWH at least as having a dual male-female nature, but the conservative Yahwists of the sort responsible for Deuteronomy (and the "Deuteronomic History" books like Kings) denounced even this (this is the significance of the "Asherah pole" incident: Solomon thought it proper to dedicate something to the female aspect of God, but the prophets disagreed; Zoroastrians by contrast have no trouble with "Anahita").

Sure Yahweh's singular, but Elohim's not, and the fact that other gods like Asherah are associated with the Jews means that they weren't monotheistic, but rather henotheistc, and this contrasts with Zoroastrianism because Anahita was created by Ahura Mazda and she didn't share his divine status.

No, it doesn't. Do you really know the Bible at all?

This is my source for that Angel see Judaism at the bottom

No, I am quite certain there were older written texts, but paper just does not survive very commonly. The only reason we have focused on particular words is because of your refusal to believe that common Hebrew words come from old Hebrew and not from late Iranian.

In that case how frequent are the archaic Hebrew forms exactly?

No, the Mitanni were in northern Iraq. What is present in Egypt is diplomatic correspondence with this faraway kingdom.

Regardless, we know that there was trade between the Eastern Caucasians and the Egyptians as far back as the pre-dynastic Egyptians.

Except that no such thing existed until much later: in the Gathas there is no "Mithra" or any particular association of Ahura Mazda with the Sun or any other particular created being; Zoroaster himself would, I think, have found the later tendency to incorporate pagan deities as aspects of Ahura Mazda a repugnant surrender to heathenism. In any case, the Egyptians had no contact with East Iranians until the fall of Babylon.

But there is evidence of Ahura Mazda and Mithra in Young Avestan, and the relationship between the characteristics of the Ahura Mazda-Mithra compound there and those of Aten are uncanny.

That's not my idea AT ALL man. My point is very simple: that many people had ways to track time, and therefore I don't see why the Greeks for example couldn't have used a similar method to track the placement of the Gathas.
Because the Greeks weren't anywhere near when the Gathas were composed, never learned of Zoroaster's existence until very late, and never did learn anything but the most garbled and fragmentary information about him. As your own source pointed out, the "6000 year" business obviously came from one of those arbitrary Pahlavi chronologies grouping things into 1000-year-periods with no accuracy in the placement of anything else, and no reason to suppose accuracy on that either.
But the language of the hymns of Zoroastrian scripture were used for liturgical use and committed to memory word for word, even over 2 millennium later they resemble their written master. So why couldn't they have been preserved in the same manner 2000 or even 4000 years before they were written?
Because if that were the case they would not be in a language from the Iranian subgroup of the Indo-Iranian group of the Indo-European family, but from a language characteristic of thousands of years before Indo-European had originated, which would look even more alien to Proto-Indo-European than Avestan does to modern languages. We know that Shakespeare is not preserved from 1000 BC because English did not look like that even in 1000 AD.
Yeah, how do we know that that the quarter-phase week didn't develop from Zoroastrians quarter-phase week?
Sigh... because it is recorded from over a thousand years before any such thing as "Iranians" existed.
...how do we know that this idea of the "7th day of rest dedicated to this Shappatu"
Sigh... shappatu was simply the word "full"; the full-moon day (15th of the lunar month) was dedicated to one god or another, in the month of Dumuzi it was dedicated to the god Dumuzi, and in another month to some other deity etc. The 7th day (and the 22nd, 7th after the shappatu) were just days of rest: the idea that working people need a day off once in a while is one of those ideas, like noticing that the moon goes through phases, or noticing that the sun is important, which we find in cultures all over the world; it really doesn't need a specific explanation.
(which reminds me of the Aryan forms mogupatu "chief priest" and pad-i-shah "Emperor.)
Again, you are just grabbing a handful of letters out of a word, and comparing to alien words that happen to have those letters. The English full shares the letters "ul" with gull, culinary, bulletin and all kinds of other words that have no relationship to it whatsoever.
didn't develop from the Zoroastrian idea of the quarter-phase day dedication to Ahura Mazda "the wise lord."
BECAUSE it is recorded from over a thousand years before Iranians existed.
Can you back this [the usage of "plural of respect"] up?
Certainly. Further down you cite
Unto thee it was shewed, that thou mightest know that the Lord he is God; there is none else beside him. - Deuteronomy 4:35
The bolded reads in Hebrew YHWH, huw Elohim with the SINGULAR pronoun huw "he" identified with Elohim "God" (here clearly used as a singular, despite its plural form), with the following clause emphasizing very strongly his SINGULARITY (there is not one other). Elsewhere we find YHWH saying things like "I [singular pronoun] am [singular verb] the God [ha-Elohim again, the prefix ha- "the" again emphasizing singularity] who brought you out of Egypt" etc. Nor is this unique to Hebrew: in Moabite (another dialect of the "Canaanite" family, very close to Hebrew and Phoenician) we find that Chemosh [singular] is [singular verb] "the God" [ha-Elohim] of Moab.
But does the -im ending in Nephilim indicate a plural form?
Yes.
Now my question here was the entire Genesis 14 written in archaic Hebrew
VERY archaic Hebrew. This part of Genesis along with some of the poetry in Job (the "speech out of the whirlwind" etc.) represents the oldest stratum of text in the Bible.
I wouldn't say they're totally random. They're important words in Zoroastrianism and important words in Judaism.
SO??? Namaste is an important word in Sanskrit and name is an important word in English; that's no evidence of relationship. How about if I derive Zarathustra from Zulu, on grounds that "Zulu" is of course an important word in Zulu, and starts with a Z?
It says that Chapters 1-4 were added to the Book of Deuteronomy after the Jews had made contact with the Zoroastrian Empire
No it doesn't. It attributes that section to the Babylonian Captivity.
the fact that other gods like Asherah are associated with the Jews means that they weren't monotheistic, but rather henotheistc
In the time of Abraham, "henotheism" is a proper description (there are lots of gods, but one of them supreme over all the others); by the time of Moses we have what is called "monolatry" (the reality of other gods is not denied, but only one god is allowed to be worshipped); by the time of Isaiah we have outright monotheism (the gods of other nations are described as "dumb blocks of wood" who "cannot do anything"). This is all before any contact with Persians. Asherah appears not to have been conceived of as an "other" god but as a female aspect of the one god: even this the prophets regarded as heretical; the Zoroastrian willingness to describe Ahura Mazda as having multiple manifestations is similar to the kind of thing the prophets were fighting against.
This is my source for that Angel
Your claim that the mal'akh YHWH was a separate being from YHWH (rather than a phrase for "the appearance of YHWH") is belied by all the texts cited. The word ha-qodeshim "the holy things" is not used at all like you claimed; and ha-'elyonim "the supremes" does not occur at all (indeed would be a self-contradict: there can only be ONE 'Elyon "supreme").
In that case how frequent are the archaic Hebrew forms exactly?
The further back you go, the fewer writings you find, in any language group. But we are talking about TOTALLY COMMON words like the verb "to be" and the word "name" which you are going to find all over the place in any writings.
Regardless, we know that there was trade between the Eastern Caucasians and the Egyptians as far back as the pre-dynastic Egyptians.
And what do the peoples of the eastern Caucasus have to do with this?
But there is evidence of Ahura Mazda and Mithra in Young Avestan
Which is to say, a thousand years later than Akhenaten.
, and the relationship between the characteristics of the Ahura Mazda-Mithra compound there and those of Aten are uncanny.
What resemblance exactly? The idea that the sun is important is a commonplace among cultures all over the world.

Because the Greeks weren't anywhere near when the Gathas were composed, never learned of Zoroaster's existence until very late, and never did learn anything but the most garbled and fragmentary information about him. As your own source pointed out, the "6000 year" business obviously came from one of those arbitrary Pahlavi chronologies grouping things into 1000-year-periods with no accuracy in the placement of anything else, and no reason to suppose accuracy on that either.

Right, but maybe it came from a Zoroastrian lunar calendar that track the months from Zoroaster's day down to when the Greek came up with the 6000 B.C. estimate and then later omitted a zero for political reasons.

Because if that were the case they would not be in a language from the Iranian subgroup of the Indo-Iranian group of the Indo-European family, but from a language characteristic of thousands of years before Indo-European had originated, which would look even more alien to Proto-Indo-European than Avestan does to modern languages. We know that Shakespeare is not preserved from 1000 BC because English did not look like that even in 1000 AD.

According to convention Proto-Indo-European originated ca. 7000 B.C. The agricultural revolution began around 6000 B.C. and the Gathas describe Zoroaster's rallying the animal husbandrymen in an agricultural revolution against the hunter and gatherers. Gathic could have originated around times time, and was just fossilized using an unrecorded oral tradition for thousands of years to this day, and the linguistic estimates are just wrong.

Sigh... because it is recorded from over a thousand years before any such thing as "Iranians" existed.

But we really don't. We know that the Eastern Caucuses, and by that I mean the Himalayan mountain range, Hindu Kush, etc... were inhabited at least 10,000 B.C. from carbon dated bone fragments. And we know that these Caucasians traded with the Sumerians as well as the Egyptians.

Sigh... shappatu was simply the word "full"; the full-moon day (15th of the lunar month) was dedicated to one god or another, in the month of Dumuzi it was dedicated to the god Dumuzi, and in another month to some other deity etc. The 7th day (and the 22nd, 7th after the shappatu) were just days of rest: the idea that working people need a day off once in a while is one of those ideas, like noticing that the moon goes through phases, or noticing that the sun is important, which we find in cultures all over the world; it really doesn't need a specific explanation.

Well pad means "potent" in Aryan, and I even think there's a form in Sumerian Pitu or something like that that bears semantic resemblance to Padishah, nevertheless regardless of whether many cultures back then divided their months up into quarter phases the Zoroastrians were the only one's who dedicated every quarter-phase day to God. So how do we know that Sargon's calendar wasn't influenced by this Zoroastrian practice.

Again, you are just grabbing a handful of letters out of a word, and comparing to alien words that happen to have those letters. The English full shares the letters "ul" with gull, culinary, bulletin and all kinds of other words that have no relationship to it whatsoever.

Not really.

Certainly. Further down you cite
The bolded reads in Hebrew YHWH, huw Elohim with the SINGULAR pronoun huw "he" identified with Elohim "God" (here clearly used as a singular, despite its plural form), with the following clause emphasizing very strongly his SINGULARITY (there is not one other). Elsewhere we find YHWH saying things like "I [singular pronoun] am [singular verb] the God [ha-Elohim again, the prefix ha- "the" again emphasizing singularity] who brought you out of Egypt" etc. Nor is this unique to Hebrew: in Moabite (another dialect of the "Canaanite" family, very close to Hebrew and Phoenician) we find that Chemosh [singular] is [singular verb] "the God" [ha-Elohim] of Moab.

Right, but that was close enough to the time the Jews were liberated by the Zoroastrian Empire, and even the connotation for Elohim had changed by then due to Zoroastrian influence.

So maybe if Nephalim meant "fallen ones" Elohim really meant "Godly ones," no?

VERY archaic Hebrew. This part of Genesis along with some of the poetry in Job (the "speech out of the whirlwind" etc.) represents the oldest stratum of text in the Bible.

And we have sources to validate the placement of these archaisms?

SO??? Namaste is an important word in Sanskrit and name is an important word in English; that's no evidence of relationship. How about if I derive Zarathustra from Zulu, on grounds that "Zulu" is of course an important word in Zulu, and starts with a Z?

I don't think that my comparisons are far fetched like that. We're talking about the two most important hymns in Zoroastrian religion, one of which has to do with the name of God, and the other of which has to do with God's characteristics, compared two synonyms for God in Hebrew.

No it doesn't. It attributes that section to the Babylonian Captivity.

Close enough to the post-exhilic period of the Jews. How archaic was the language in Deuteronomy?

In the time of Abraham, "henotheism" is a proper description (there are lots of gods, but one of them supreme over all the others); by the time of Moses we have what is called "monolatry" (the reality of other gods is not denied, but only one god is allowed to be worshipped); by the time of Isaiah we have outright monotheism (the gods of other nations are described as "dumb blocks of wood" who "cannot do anything"). This is all before any contact with Persians. Asherah appears not to have been conceived of as an "other" god but as a female aspect of the one god: even this the prophets regarded as heretical; the Zoroastrian willingness to describe Ahura Mazda as having multiple manifestations is similar to the kind of thing the prophets were fighting against.

Isaiah wasn't written until after the Jews had come into contact with the Zoroastrian Empire. See Isaiah 45.1

Your claim that the mal'akh YHWH was a separate being from YHWH (rather than a phrase for "the appearance of YHWH") is belied by all the texts cited. The word ha-qodeshim "the holy things" is not used at all like you claimed; and ha-'elyonim "the supremes" does not occur at all (indeed would be a self-contradict: there can only be ONE 'Elyon "supreme").

Yeah mal'akh YHWH was a separate being that shared Yahweh's divine status. How is ha-qodeshim used?

The further back you go, the fewer writings you find, in any language group. But we are talking about TOTALLY COMMON words like the verb "to be" and the word "name" which you are going to find all over the place in any writings.

Which is to say, a thousand years later than Akhenaten.

Not necessarily.

What resemblance exactly? The idea that the sun is important is a commonplace among cultures all over the world.

But not that the sun is the sole creator, and represented as the eye. Ahura Mazda was the sole creator, but also the only God, and Mithra who was associated with the sun was known as Mazda's eye who watched the world from on high.

Found this in an inbox:
mojobadshah said:
Hey Bob, I don't know if this is common knowledge or not among small circles, but as I was reading "The Man Who Sent the Magi," I became conscience of the resembles between the name of the Saoshyant mentioned in the Yashts Ashvat-Ereta, the word Avestan Asha and oshea in Yehoshua> Jesus. What do you make of this? You still think that the development of the name Jesus had nothing to do with Avestan. Also I did find the Avestan cognate of the word Christ which is associated with Iza "angel of worship" and the form is Gerezda "fat." The two forms are placed so close together like ishayãs gerezdâ its so weird and makes me think "Jesus Christ?" and according to Mary Boyce this gerezda had something to do with the Soma and I suppose preparing the Hom too. Were you aware of all this?
No I wasn't: on an earlier thread I mentioned that I had tried to find the Iranian cognate from the grease/christos/ghee root by looking through the Avestan "Hymn to Fire" but could only find a generic word from the food/butter root; thank you, gerezda indeed looks to be the Iranian cognate I was seeking. Here -da would be a grammatical ending analogous to -d on greased, -t on Christ, -ta on ghrta (that Sanskrit verb for "to sprinkle ghee"); the initial g- is saved from the "s'atam" shift to a sibilant because it was in a gr- compound; and the -z- is interesting because here the Iranian is preserving an old sibilant where Indic has lost it (in other positions we find the reverse, Iranian weakening an early sibilant to "h" as in haoma for Sanskrit soma).

But the Avestan cognate of the sh-w-' root in Y-shuwa' / Yehow-shuwa' is haurvaiti as I have explained to you multiple times. The initial h- in the Avestan is the reduction of the sibilant seen as the sh in Hebrew; while the -aurvai- is a somewhat fuller representation of the ancestral form, retaining a liquid which is eroded away in the Hebrew -uwa'; and the -ti ending is a grammatical suffix, not part of the root anymore than the y- prefix in the Hebrew. There is no "oshea" in this name: the fuller name Yehowshuwa' combines Yehow- as a taboo deformation of YHWH with a regular derivation of sh-w-' so what you are doing is grabbing the second half of one word and combining it with a distortion of the other root to create something unreal.
Right, but maybe it came from a Zoroastrian lunar calendar that track the months from Zoroaster's day down to when the Greek came up with the 6000 B.C. estimate and then later omitted a zero for political reasons.
And maybe all copies of the Avesta were created the day before yesterday by an invisible pink unicorn.

If you are going to make an extraordinary claim, the burden is on you to show some evidence. What you are citing is a single Greek source whose ignorance is palpable: he in turn is apparently deriving his information from Pahlavi chronicles whose datings of events are thoroughly arbitrary and inaccurate. If some copies turn "6000" into "600", I doubt "politics" has anything to do with that: rather, the recognition that the date is obviously absurd.
According to convention Proto-Indo-European originated ca. 7000 B.C.
Uh... the conventional view is 3700 BC give or take a couple centuries. The linguistics field is of course full of controversies and crackpot theories, but I could not even find an extremist who would give a date as early as you are talking about. Sometime around 5000 BC would be proto-Indo-Hittite, common ancestor of Indo-European with various extinct Anatolian languages, and a couple thousands years earlier the proto-Eurasiatic, ancestral also to Uralic (Finnish, Hungarian, etc.), Altaic (Turkic, Mongolic, Korean, etc.) and some others, with proto-Nostratic (also including the Afro-Asiatic group that includes the Semitic family etc.) being considerably further back.

The Avestan language, of course, is much more recent than proto-Indo-European, later than the split of Centum (Italic and Celtic) from Indo-Germanic, later than the split of Indo-Germanic into Germanic, Balkan Peripheral, and S'atam, later than the split of S'atam into Balto-Slavic and Indo-Iranian, and later than the diversification of Indo-Iranian into Indic, Iranian etc. branches. It is characteristic of the second millenium BC, closer to 1000 BC than to 2000 BC. You are imagining that somehow Iranians, alone among all peoples in the history of the planet, were frozen in some kind of suspended animation for five thousand years, undergoing no changes at all during that whole time.
The agricultural revolution began around 6000 B.C. and the Gathas describe Zoroaster's rallying the animal husbandrymen in an agricultural revolution against the hunter and gatherers.
Around 6000 BC there was seed-planting not animal herding, in the Middle East not the northern steppes. Cultural dispersion to the northern steppes was very slow, since strains of wheat etc. which could tolerate those climates did not occur until much later; animal herding came later, and spread to the steppes easier, but not until the second millenium BC.
We know that the Eastern Caucuses, and by that I mean the Himalayan mountain range
The Caucasus is between Turkey and Ukraine. The Himalayas are between India and Tibet. They are four time zones apart, larger than the distance from California to Quebec. The extent of your confusion here is awesome.
So how do we know that Sargon's calendar wasn't influenced by this Zoroastrian practice.
BECAUSE IT IS OVER A THOUSAND YEARS BEFORE THE EXISTENCE OF ANY "IRANIAN" PEOPLE.
Right, but that was close enough to the time the Jews were liberated by the Zoroastrian Empire, and even the connotation for Elohim had changed by then due to Zoroastrian influence.
No, we find the same usage in the Moabite, who were destroyed before Iranians were anywhere in the area.
So maybe if Nephalim meant "fallen ones" Elohim really meant "Godly ones," no?
No. It is plural in form but used as a singular. This is called the plural of respect.
And we have sources to validate the placement of these archaisms?
Ugaritic we can read fairly well, Eblaite less well. The Ugaritic passage I cited before "He is not to be named for Yaw, but named for Yam" contains both the verb "to be" and the word for "name", both of which you have ridiculously thought were not old words in Semitic. All over the place in Ugaritic and Eblaite we find words in usage which are otherwise only found in the very old books of the Torah, which had fallen out of usage by the time the later books were composed.
I don't think that my comparisons are far fetched like that. We're talking about the two most important hymns in Zoroastrian religion
"Zulu" is a most important name in Zulu, originally referring to the most honored ancestors... Look, you can't just grab words from languages that aren't particularly alike, and decree that if they have one or two letters in common (which is hardly much of a coincidence) that they are the same. You never bother to explain how the totally arbitrary changes in pronunciation that you are presupposing were going to happen; linguistics proceeds by recognizing systematic shifts, where the same changes in pronunciation happen over and over again. We do not say that Avestan homa is cognate to Sanskrit soma just because they have three letters in common, but also because the shift from "s" to "h" is found in numerous other examples, like Avestan ahura, Sanskrit asura. You want to compare Persian padi to Akkadian shappatu? OK, then find me confirming examples that Akkadian sha- in general corresponds to nothing whatsoever in the Persian: otherwise, yes indeed your comparisons are "far fetched". What is your argument here? That both words are "important"? What in the world does that have to do with anything?
Close enough to the post-exhilic period of the Jews.
A time with zero contact with Zoroastrians is not "close enough to" a time with substantial contact with Zoroastrians.
How archaic was the language in Deuteronomy?
Most of it is second millenium BC.
Isaiah wasn't written until after the Jews had come into contact with the Zoroastrian Empire. See Isaiah 45.1
There is a difference between "1st Isaiah" (written during the Assyrian Empire under kings Ahaz and Hezekiah) and "2nd Isaiah" (written at the end of the Babylonian Captivity, when the end of Babylon appeared imminent). They are in distinctly different dialects ("1st Isaiah" is older, though not old like the bulk of Deuteronomy and the other books of the Torah) and styles ("1st Isaiah" consists of several separate speeches delivered to the royal court, each identified as having been spoken by Isaiah son of Amoz and given a date; "2nd Isaiah" is a long poetic ramble, with no ascription to any author or any indication of time). In the Dead Sea Scrolls, the two are still separated into different books.
Yeah mal'akh YHWH was a separate being
Absolutely not. As your own source showed, the texts forbid that interpretation.
How is ha-qodeshim used?
It is the generic plural "holy things".
[Younger Avestan is] Not necessarily [later than Akhenaten].
Yes, necessarily. Shakespeare is necessarily later than the Roman Empire. The Parthian- and Sassanian-era additions to the Avesta are necessarily later than the Pharoahs.
But not that the sun is the sole creator, and represented as the eye. Ahura Mazda was the sole creator, but also the only God, and Mithra who was associated with the sun was known as Mazda's eye who watched the world from on high.
Neither the idea of the sun as a creator-god (see Vairococha from the Incas of Peru) nor the idea of the sun as an eye (see Anyanwu from the Igbos of Nigeria) is a very rare thought. If there is any specific connection between the Iranian and Egyptian conceptions here, however, the direction of borrowing is clear: no association between Ahura Mazda and Mithra existed until late, so it would be Egypt influencing Iran rather than the other way around.

Found this in an inbox:

No I wasn't: on an earlier thread I mentioned that I had tried to find the Iranian cognate from the grease/christos/ghee root by looking through the Avestan "Hymn to Fire" but could only find a generic word from the food/butter root; thank you, gerezda indeed looks to be the Iranian cognate I was seeking. Here -da would be a grammatical ending analogous to -d on greased, -t on Christ, -ta on ghrta (that Sanskrit verb for "to sprinkle ghee"); the initial g- is saved from the "s'atam" shift to a sibilant because it was in a gr- compound; and the -z- is interesting because here the Iranian is preserving an old sibilant where Indic has lost it (in other positions we find the reverse, Iranian weakening an early sibilant to "h" as in haoma for Sanskrit soma).

But the Avestan cognate of the sh-w-' root in Y-shuwa' / Yehow-shuwa' is haurvaiti as I have explained to you multiple times. The initial h- in the Avestan is the reduction of the sibilant seen as the sh in Hebrew; while the -aurvai- is a somewhat fuller representation of the ancestral form, retaining a liquid which is eroded away in the Hebrew -uwa'; and the -ti ending is a grammatical suffix, not part of the root anymore than the y- prefix in the Hebrew. There is no "oshea" in this name: the fuller name Yehowshuwa' combines Yehow- as a taboo deformation of YHWH with a regular derivation of sh-w-' so what you are doing is grabbing the second half of one word and combining it with a distortion of the other root to create something unreal.

Zulu" is a most important name in Zulu, originally referring to the most honored ancestors... Look, you can't just grab words from languages that aren't particularly alike, and decree that if they have one or two letters in common (which is hardly much of a coincidence) that they are the same. You never bother to explain how the totally arbitrary changes in pronunciation that you are presupposing were going to happen; linguistics proceeds by recognizing systematic shifts, where the same changes in pronunciation happen over and over again. We do not say that Avestan homa is cognate to Sanskrit soma just because they have three letters in common, but also because the shift from "s" to "h" is found in numerous other examples, like Avestan ahura, Sanskrit asura. You want to compare Persian padi to Akkadian shappatu? OK, then find me confirming examples that Akkadian sha- in general corresponds to nothing whatsoever in the Persian: otherwise, yes indeed your comparisons are "far fetched". What is your argument here? That both words are "important"? What in the world does that have to do with anything?

And maybe all copies of the Avesta were created the day before yesterday by an invisible pink unicorn.

If you are going to make an extraordinary claim, the burden is on you to show some evidence. What you are citing is a single Greek source whose ignorance is palpable: he in turn is apparently deriving his information from Pahlavi chronicles whose datings of events are thoroughly arbitrary and inaccurate. If some copies turn "6000" into "600", I doubt "politics" has anything to do with that: rather, the recognition that the date is obviously absurd.

Uh... the conventional view is 3700 BC give or take a couple centuries. The linguistics field is of course full of controversies and crackpot theories, but I could not even find an extremist who would give a date as early as you are talking about. Sometime around 5000 BC would be proto-Indo-Hittite, common ancestor of Indo-European with various extinct Anatolian languages, and a couple thousands years earlier the proto-Eurasiatic, ancestral also to Uralic (Finnish, Hungarian, etc.), Altaic (Turkic, Mongolic, Korean, etc.) and some others, with proto-Nostratic (also including the Afro-Asiatic group that includes the Semitic family etc.) being considerably further back.

The Avestan language, of course, is much more recent than proto-Indo-European, later than the split of Centum (Italic and Celtic) from Indo-Germanic, later than the split of Indo-Germanic into Germanic, Balkan Peripheral, and S'atam, later than the split of S'atam into Balto-Slavic and Indo-Iranian, and later than the diversification of Indo-Iranian into Indic, Iranian etc. branches. It is characteristic of the second millenium BC, closer to 1000 BC than to 2000 BC. You are imagining that somehow Iranians, alone among all peoples in the history of the planet, were frozen in some kind of suspended animation for five thousand years, undergoing no changes at all during that whole time.

Around 6000 BC there was seed-planting not animal herding, in the Middle East not the northern steppes. Cultural dispersion to the northern steppes was very slow, since strains of wheat etc. which could tolerate those climates did not occur until much later; animal herding came later, and spread to the steppes easier, but not until the second millenium BC.

You're totally right Bob X, the burden of proof is totally on me, and I appreciate you keeping it honest.

You say that calendrical systems go back 60,000 years ago, so it's not impossible that a people could have tracked their development from 6,000 B.C. onwards, and the oldest portion of Zoroastrian scripture incorporates evidence of a lunar calendar, so their history could have been attested that far back, but not their language according to convention. That much you can agree with correct?

"There are the Indo-European languages whose origins can be traced back to a common ancestor that was spoken in Eurasia some 6,000 years ago. We call the people who spoke this ancestral language the Indo-Europeans or Proto-Indo-Europeans." - J.P. Mallory, The Search for the Indo-Europeans

And it was a book called "Before the Dawn" which mentions the use of genetics to trace the origin of Proto-Indo-European to 7000 B.C.

But, yeah that's true animal Husbandry doesn't quite equate to agricultural revolution. But I see that our earliest evidence that cattle was domesticated in other parts of the world before 4800 BCE according to The Horse the Wheel and Language.

Even the Young Avesta, however, recollects what some perceive to have been an Ice Age, and the last Ice Age was 20,000 years ago.

When it comes to the names all I'm saying at the moment is that to me their appears to be a phonological and semitic relationship between the words Heb. Yahweh and Av. Yatha Ahu Vairya, Yeshua khristos and Av. ishayãs gerezdâ and YAv. Ashvat-Ereta, and Heb. Ha-shem and Av. Ashem Vohu. I'm not denying you're expert judgment on the proposed connections, and I'm not saying I've proved the connections.

However I would like to point out a possible connection between the preparation of the Hom, the Hom Litergy, and the Eucharist. Mary Boyce in "A History of Zoroastrian" has pointed out that Gerezda is associated with the milk (liquid cream?) that was mixed with the Soma juice, and the same practice was used to prepare the Hom juice, and the Hom is associated with the Tree of Immortality similar to how Jesus was associated with immortality.

The Caucasus is between Turkey and Ukraine. The Himalayas are between India and Tibet. They are four time zones apart, larger than the distance from California to Quebec. The extent of your confusion here is awesome.

Dude, Josiah Harlan, the first American in Afghanistan, referred to the Himalayas the Indian Caucuses, probably because that is exactly what they are, the eastern most extant of the Caucuses mountain range.

BECAUSE IT IS OVER A THOUSAND YEARS BEFORE THE EXISTENCE OF ANY "IRANIAN" PEOPLE.

Right, right, there is no evidence that the Aryan (Iranian) history predated anything Hamitic or Semitic history or even a dead language group whose history no one could lay claim to like Sumerian which is the oldest attested history in the world.

Sorry still a little dislexic, are you basically saying that although there is no evidence of a Akkadian Zoroastrian connection that both cultures came to dedicate the 7th day and quarter-phase day respectively to a god, and God, independently.

No, we find the same usage in the Moabite, who were destroyed before Iranians were anywhere in the area.

Ugaritic we can read fairly well, Eblaite less well. The Ugaritic passage I cited before "He is not to be named for Yaw, but named for Yam" contains both the verb "to be" and the word for "name", both of which you have ridiculously thought were not old words in Semitic. All over the place in Ugaritic and Eblaite we find words in usage which are otherwise only found in the very old books of the Torah, which had fallen out of usage by the time the later books were composed.

A time with zero contact with Zoroastrians is not "close enough to" a time with substantial contact with Zoroastrians.

Most of it is second millenium BC.

There is a difference between "1st Isaiah" (written during the Assyrian Empire under kings Ahaz and Hezekiah) and "2nd Isaiah" (written at the end of the Babylonian Captivity, when the end of Babylon appeared imminent). They are in distinctly different dialects ("1st Isaiah" is older, though not old like the bulk of Deuteronomy and the other books of the Torah) and styles ("1st Isaiah" consists of several separate speeches delivered to the royal court, each identified as having been spoken by Isaiah son of Amoz and given a date; "2nd Isaiah" is a long poetic ramble, with no ascription to any author or any indication of time). In the Dead Sea Scrolls, the two are still separated into different books

OK, but Lithuanian preserves some pretty archaic features that make it look similar to Sanskrit too. Moreover it sounds like you're saying that Yaw is an Ugartic form not a Hebrew form. And all of this has also brought to mind that the Medes themselves are mentioned in Genesis 10:2, which would place the Zoroastrians even further back than you're proposed date for Genesis.

No. It is plural in form but used as a singular. This is called the plural of respect.

Absolutely not. As your own source showed, the texts forbid that interpretation.

It is the generic plural "holy things".

Ok, so you say that Elohim is plural of respect, but all other evidence so far hasn't pointed to this when it comes to the -im plural ending. Nephelim and ha-qodeshim both contain this plural ending -im. The Nephelim were "fallen ones" not "fallen one," and ha-qodeshim "holy things" not "holy thing." And I'm confused about mal'akh YHWH. Does that mean messenger of Yahweh separate of Yahweh who shares Yahweh's divine status, or just Yahweh the messenger?

Yes, necessarily. Shakespeare is necessarily later than the Roman Empire. The Parthian- and Sassanian-era additions to the Avesta are necessarily later than the Pharoahs.

All the Parthian- and Sassanian-era additions means is that the Avesta was fixed in writing by then, but the compositions themselves display evidence of a language which is more archaic than Median and Persian, could not have been made up, and was only used for liturgical purposes by then, and contemporary with the language of the Mittani texts.

Neither the idea of the sun as a creator-god (see Vairococha from the Incas of Peru) nor the idea of the sun as an eye (see Anyanwu from the Igbos of Nigeria) is a very rare thought. If there is any specific connection between the Iranian and Egyptian conceptions here, however, the direction of borrowing is clear: no association between Ahura Mazda and Mithra existed until late, so it would be Egypt influencing Iran rather than the other way around.

I told you people from the Eastern Caucuses were in Egypt before the most ancient Egyptian era so what evidence do you have of an Egyptian presence in the Avesta?

bob x and mojobadshah, thanks for the detail. See even an old dog can learn new tricks!

bob x and mojobadshah, thanks for the detail. See even an old dog can learn new tricks!
Yep, great stuff. Adding that "now for the rest of the story" parts that they left out of sunday school teachings.
thanks.

You say that calendrical systems go back 60,000 years ago, so it's not impossible that a people could have tracked their development from 6,000 B.C. onwards, and the oldest portion of Zoroastrian scripture incorporates evidence of a lunar calendar, so their history could have been attested that far back, but not their language according to convention. That much you can agree with correct?
Keeping count of how many days go by, all month long (that is, until the phases of the moon recur); and then of how many months go by, all year long (that is, to know whether the nice weather is a fluke, or means that spring has come back for real) was a vital task, undertaken by humans all over the world since as long ago as humans have been smart enough to count that high (indeed, it seems to have been the primary motivation for counting). Keeping track of how many years go by, for a whole human lifetime, is less vital: not every culture has even bothered to note birthdays and keep track of individuals' ages; where there have been monarchies, counting years by the reign of the king has been common, but each new king starts the count over. Far from monarchies, among the Plains tribes "medicine chiefs" (religious, as opposed to "war chiefs") would keep "chronicle" tepees with a pictogram for each passing year, naming it for a significant event: Black Elk Speaks notes "The Year of Shot-in-his-Lodge" (a man shot through the skin of his tepee when the firelight cast his shadow giving an enemy outside the target) and "The Year of the Rubbing-Out of Long-Hair" ("Little Bighorn" or "Custer's Last Stand"). But these chronicles were only kept for one man's adult lifespan.

Carrying over a long count of years across multiple life-spans was not seen as vital, and is not always found even in literate cultures. Before writing, it was essentially impossible: an oral recitation like the Iliad does not, of course, tell us how many years ago the Trojan War was; how could it, unless it was changed every year? From Mesopotamia we get long king-lists incorporating the reign-lengths, but inconsistencies in handling the partial years at start and end of each reign, and in handling rebellions and usurpations when there were overlapping rival claimants introduce some fuzziness: fortunately, here and there solar eclipses are recorded, and can be pegged absolutely. From Egypt, Manetho's king-list unfortunately does not include reign-lengths, and dynasties are listed sequentially when sometimes they were overlapping in time claiming different parts of the country (so Egyptologists can still get into terrible fights about the details of the chronology).

What do we have from Iranians? Nothing really, prior to the Achaemenid period. The Pahlavi chronicles on which you want to rely can be tested, as to their placements of events which can be dated independently: they are horribly bad, just arbitrary groupings of events into "thousand-year" blocks when the actual intervals were nowhere near so long. The specific year-count from Zoroaster to Alexander looks like better data, because it is not a round number, but it turns out to be too late (putting Zoroaster as a contemporary of the grandfather of Cyrus the Great) and probably refers to the conversion to Zoroastrianism of the Achaemenid family: when I started this, I just thought that was right, but your sources have persuaded me that Zoroaster has to be somewhat earlier (so, you see, you haven't completely failed with me); however, ~1200 BC really looks like the earliest date that is at all sensible.
"There are the Indo-European languages whose origins can be traced back to a common ancestor that was spoken in Eurasia some 6,000 years ago. We call the people who spoke this ancestral language the Indo-Europeans or Proto-Indo-Europeans." - J.P. Mallory, The Search for the Indo-Europeans
We are not in the year 0, we are past 2000. "6000 years ago" means 4000 BC (rounded off from the 3700 BC plus-or-minus a couple centuries which I told you is the consensus), and that is as remote from 6000 BC as Barack Obama is from Augustus Caesar; proto-Indo-European would be as remote from what was spoken in 6000 BC as modern Italian is from classical Latin.
And it was a book called "Before the Dawn" which mentions the use of genetics to trace the origin of Proto-Indo-European to 7000 B.C.
That would be tracing a biological common ancestor, which is not the same thing as the linguistic common ancestor: Jamaican is a dialect of English, and its linguistic ancestor is Anglo-Saxon; but the biological ancestry of Jamaicans is mostly African. So you see that you have to leave out peoples who have had the languages in question imposed on them by conquest, although their biological ancestors spoke something else entirely. If you want to find a biological ancestor for "all" the peoples now speaking Indo-European languages (excluding obvious cases like the Jamaicans) you will be going back further than the proto-Indo-Europeans-- to include also related peoples, whose descendants at some ancient time got Indo-European languages imposed on them, although their ancestors were speaking something different from proto-Indo-European, back when proto-Indo-European was a living language.
But, yeah that's true animal Husbandry doesn't quite equate to agricultural revolution. But I see that our earliest evidence that cattle was domesticated in other parts of the world before 4800 BCE according to The Horse the Wheel and Language.
That would be in North Africa; cows have never been suitable for the northern steppes, and the domestication of sheep and goats in the Middle East was later, the diffusion to the steppes later still, about as late as when cows spread as far east as India.
Even the Young Avesta, however, recollects what some perceive to have been an Ice Age, and the last Ice Age was 20,000 years ago.
It speaks of droughts and harsh winters, recalling the climate changes from 2000-1000 BC which made the steppes less hospitable, and drove the out-migration of the Iranians and Indo-Aryans. I have no trouble believing that oral traditions would remember this for a long time: the period when there were severe floodings in the Middle East had been very long ago by the time any accounts were written down.
When it comes to the names all I'm saying at the moment is that to me their appears to be a phonological and semitic relationship between the words Heb. Yahweh and Av. Yatha Ahu Vairya, Yeshua khristos and Av. ishayãs gerezdâ and YAv. Ashvat-Ereta, and Heb. Ha-shem and Av. Ashem Vohu. I'm not denying you're expert judgment on the proposed connections, and I'm not saying I've proved the connections.
You don't understand how the languages work at all, and so you have no grasp on what is and isn't plausible.
However I would like to point out a possible connection between the preparation of the Hom, the Hom Litergy, and the Eucharist. Mary Boyce in "A History of Zoroastrian" has pointed out that Gerezda is associated with the milk (liquid cream?) that was mixed with the Soma juice, and the same practice was used to prepare the Hom juice, and the Hom is associated with the Tree of Immortality similar to how Jesus was associated with immortality.
Interesting.
Right, right, there is no evidence that the Aryan (Iranian) history predated anything Hamitic or Semitic history or even a dead language group whose history no one could lay claim to like Sumerian which is the oldest attested history in the world.
There really isn't. Mitanni burst into the Middle East about 1500 BC around the time the Indo-Aryans are sacking the Harappan cities; prior to that they were just steppe nomads, only starting to get the idea of domesticating animals, leaving no written records and few archaeological traces.
Sorry still a little dislexic, are you basically saying that although there is no evidence of a Akkadian Zoroastrian connection that both cultures came to dedicate the 7th day and quarter-phase day respectively to a god, and God, independently.
No, I am saying the direction of the borrowing is quite clear: FROM the Middle East TO the Iranians.
OK, but Lithuanian preserves some pretty archaic features that make it look similar to Sanskrit too.
Not so that a native Lithuanian speaker could read Sanskrit in transcription. The proto-Indo-Iranian common ancestor of Sanskrit, Avestan, etc. would be centuries before the Vedas or Gathas; and the proto-S'atam common ancestor of proto-Balto-Slavic and proto-Indo-Iranian would be centuries before that.
Moreover it sounds like you're saying that Yaw is an Ugartic form not a Hebrew form.
There isn't a sharp line between the two: there is a continuum between the old Semitic languages as found in Ugarit and Ebla, and the descendant languages later spoken in the region. There was no time when they "stopped" speaking this and "started" speaking that; demarcations are just arbitrary, for convenience in reference.
And all of this has also brought to mind that the Medes themselves are mentioned in Genesis 10:2, which would place the Zoroastrians even further back than you're proposed date for Genesis.
Madai is probably a form of a puzzling root for "league" (no clear etymology in Semitic or Indo-European) found in such tribal leagues as the Midian (Arabian tribes) and Mitann (Iranian tribes) as well as the Mede league (the -n suffix sometimes found is adjectival, not part of the root). Genesis 10 (the "table of nations") appears to reflect the political situation around the time of Solomon's reign, 10th century BC, so Madai could indeed be the Medes: who were NOT Zoroastrians, indeed are frequently mentioned as arch-enemies of Zoroastrianism in the Achaemenid period.
Ok, so you say that Elohim is plural of respect, but all other evidence so far hasn't pointed to this when it comes to the -im plural ending.
Yes of course it's a plural ending, and most plural words are not used as singulars, but this one is which is why we distinguish that case as a special usage, the "plural of respect." Compare shamayim "sky".
And I'm confused about mal'akh YHWH. Does that mean messenger of Yahweh separate of Yahweh
No. I don't know what you're confused about. The answer is no.
All the Parthian- and Sassanian-era additions means is that the Avesta was fixed in writing by then, but the compositions themselves display evidence of a language which is more archaic than Median and Persian, could not have been made up, and was only used for liturgical purposes by then
This is analogous to the "church Latin" of medieval Christendom, which was no longer a spoken language and seriously divergent from the "classical Latin" of the Roman Empire; when we see something in "church Latin" we know perfectly well that it was written in medieval, not imperial, times. Similarly, anything in "Younger Avestan" is certainly later than Achaemenid times.
and contemporary with the language of the Mittani texts
Certainly not. Even the "Older Avestan" of the Gathas is not like the Mitannian, which comes from a time when Indo-Iranian has not yet sharply diverged into Indic and Iranian branches (that is, although Mitannian is from the "Western Iranian" area, it still retained features which would later be dropped in all Iranian languages and found only in the Indic). Avestan is after Iranian has become distinct (Avestan already has the characteristic s-to-h shift which I have kept harping on). Older Avestan is a few centuries later than Mitannian, and Younger Avestan is several centuries later than that.
I told you people from the Eastern Caucuses were in Egypt before the most ancient Egyptian era
The ancient peoples of the Caucasus Mts. (which are half the breadth of Asia away from where you think they are) are the Kartvelians (Georgians, Mingrelians etc.) whose languages are rather alien but sometimes thought to be "Nostratic" (that is, sharing a common ancestor with Semitic and Indo-European etc. somewhat over 10,000 years back); the North Caucasic group (Avars, Chechens, Lezghi etc.) whose languages are seriously alien (difficult to relate to anything else); and the Circassians whose languages are freakishly alien (four dozen subtly distinguished consonants, but only one vowel, an indistinct "uh" sound) but maybe distantly akin to the North Caucasic. They traded with Egypt, but were not "in" Egypt, a long time ago; this has exactly zero relevance to Iranians.
so what evidence do you have of an Egyptian presence in the Avesta?
You were the one who thought there was a connection between late ideas in the Avesta and Egyptian concepts. I don't see enough coincidence to think there needs to be any causal connection, but if there is one, then the one that came first (Egypt) was the cause and the one that came later was the effect, not the other way around.

Some clarification on the linguistic relationships: I distinguish "proto-Indo-Hittite" (common ancestor of Indo-European and the extinct Anatolian languages) from "proto-Indo-European" but some authors, particularly Colin Renfrew who thinks Anatolia was the ultimate homeland of the whole group, use Indo-European to mean "Indo-Hittite" and so their dates for the ancestor (proto-Indo-Hittite would be 5000 BC or earlier) are going to come out earlier than other "proto-Indo-European" dates (meaning the ancestor of everything except the Anatolian subgroup). Likewise I distinguish "Indo-Germanic" as excluding the "Centum" languages of western Europe (Latin, Gaelic, etc.), ranging from Germany to India; but Indo-Germanic used to be just a synonym for Indo-European (favored by German linguists, naturally), and "Centum" used to mean everything except the "S'atam" group (Russian, Sanskrit, etc.) until it was recognized that Germanic (where the word centum or s'atam turns into something like English hundred) and Balkan Peripheral (where it turns into something like Greek hekaton) are actually closer to "S'atam"-- which I why I commandeer the name "Indo-Germanic" to mean that subassembly of "Hundred"/"Hekaton"/"S'atam" as opposed to "Centum".

Proto-Indo-Iranian would have been spoken between 1500-2000 BC. If we analogize Gathic Avestan and Vedic Sanskrit to two sharply divergent but readily recognizable varieties of Modern English, say Southern American and Scots, then Proto-Indo-Iranian would be like Middle English of Chaucer's day. Lithuanian, as mojobadshah is correct to point out, preserves a lot of archaic features not typical of most Balto-Slavic languages (Russian or Polish, say); but his impression that it is as close to Avestan or Sanskrit as those two are to each other is not right. In my analogy, it would be like "Plattdeutsch", a kind of Low German spoken in Saxony which has been strongly influenced by High German (that is, the standard "school" German) but retains a lot of features (second-person je/jo pronounced "ye/yo" more like English ye/you than German ihr) which show its descent from an "Old Saxon" from which Anglo-Saxon and ultimately English derive. The Proto-S'atam ancestor of Balto-Slavic and Indo-Iranian, spoken sometime 2000-3000 BC, would be analogous to that Old Saxon of the first few centuries BC. Proto-Indo-Germanic would be further back, and Proto-Indo-European further back still.

Mojo, I don't mean to be so harsh on you all the time, but you don't seem to have much realism about the pace at which change happens. On the one hand, you think that Avestan might have been frozen from 6000 BC and yet still look like languages typical of a period five thousand years later. On the other, you think that massive "surgeries" have happened to words from Iranian to Hebrew, consonants disappearing and being rearranged almost instantaneously. And you don't take into account the structures of the languages, which is not something you're very interested in. As an analogy: I told you that greased is the English cognate of Christ, and Christ is sometimes associated with the Sun, which rises in the east-- get it? How about a hypothesis that east is derived from greased? I hope you could see the problems with that. It is just not typical in English for gr- to disappear: there isn't a dialect where green is pronounced een. And the -d is just a grammatical suffix, not part of the root grease so it really can't be made part of the comparison. Your association of YHWH with Yatha Ahu Vairya suffers from these kinds of glaring defects: a massive crushing of consonants, with no explanation offered; and, in Hebrew the y- is the grammatical prefix for third-person singular, which it isn't in the Avestan, so it has to be left out of the comparison-- yet I think the main reason you are comparing is just that both start with "Y".

Na Bob X, I don't think you're being harsh at all although I could do without the "name calling." Like I said I appreciate you keeping it real. I see myself as one who subscribes to occam's razor, whereas you're really strict about the rules and laws of linguistics. I just don't have the time to put into to familiarize myself with the study to come to any sound linguistic conclusions right now. But I do believe that I have a better foundation in the field than most.

In any event I glanced through Robert Wright's The Evolution of God and he seems to imply that the Jews did not describe monotheism until Deutero-Isaiah which was after the Jews came into contact with the Persians. Is this the same Isaiah you were referring too?

Back