The Two Truths

He definitely wasn't atheist, he felt atheists "miss the wonder of the world". But his idea of "God" is very different than the personal God of Christianity. Here are some of my favorite quotes of his dealing with this issue:

“My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble minds. That deeply emotional conviction of the presence of a superior reasoning power, which is revealed in the incomprehensible Universe, forms my idea of God.”

“Everyone who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man.... In this way the pursuit of science leads to a religious feeling of a special sort, which is indeed quite different from the religiosity of someone more naive.”

“I do not believe in the God of theology who rewards good and punishes evil. My God created laws that take care of that. His universe is not ruled by wishful thinking, but by immutable laws.”

“The idea of a personal God is quite alien to me and seems even naive.... My feeling is insofar religious as I am imbued with the consciousness of the insuffiency of the human mind to understand deeply the harmony of the Universe which we try to formulate as "laws of nature."

[URL="http://einsteinandreligion.com/"][URL="http://einsteinandreligion.com/"]http://einsteinandreligion.com/[/URL][/URL]

These paragraphs of your post above serve well to confirm my views that Jews cannot be atheists. God, whereas of a non personal character, is of the essence of the Jew.

Every Jew has two souls but Adam only one (how poor ! )"living soul " adam was material not spiritual . Matter and spirit each have one soul ,two of them good gods but which one is superior ? No one know except for practical man .

What is your view of being spiritual? The breath of life that metaphorically, God breathed in the nostrils of Adam, after He formed his body from the dust of the earth, according to Genesis 2:7, is identified in Ecclesiastes 12:7 as spirit. Hence, Adam was also spiritual, and with the potential to develop his spirituality.
Ben

What is your view of being spiritual?
Ben
Adam/Jacob/Job is created from the dust of the ground, therefore material.But Israel the new name/Man is spiritual, blessed of G_d , annointed of the Hashem.

Every Jew has two souls but Adam only one (how poor ! )"living soul " adam was material not spiritual . Matter and spirit each have one soul ,two of them good gods but which one is superior ? No one know except for practical man .

Yeah the other half of his soul is his female counterpart.....:rolleyes:

What is your view of being spiritual? The breath of life that metaphorically, God breathed in the nostrils of Adam, after He formed his body from the dust of the earth, according to Genesis 2:7, is identified in Ecclesiastes 12:7 as spirit. Hence, Adam was also spiritual, and with the potential to develop his spirituality.
Ben

The breath of life is the spirit. The body has no life without spirit.

Balance could be achieved if the practical were to become ideal, however in practice the ideal is not practical enough. Its corners are too sharp and its demands are too intense. Ideally then the ideal must differ from the practical, so a slight imbalance is the child of the ideal.

quasi-equilibrium

Beat you to it, Radarmark.
Due to quantum fluctuations, the practical and physical has a bit of a wobble as compared to the ideal--{you can't draw a perfect circle in the physical--such a thing can only exist in the idealized section of our minds}--but it is these exceptions that make the practical/physical so interesting and allows us to become exceptional! The slight imbalance gives us a way to measure and compare...when the wobble becomes more sensitive, you have an opportunity to get more accurate measurements...

If you haven't already figured it out, this is my PMS thread. {When the wobbly bits become extra sensitive. :eek:} I like this model, as it helps me to focus on measuring the wobble and gathering information, as well as contemplating the synergistic effect between the Two Truths. {It's much more practical than putting my energy into developing a love/hate relationship with my bra!}

Thanks for understanding! :D

Truth is what you believe, what you see, what is fact. But it is too loosely used.
Christian Fundamentalists say the truth i..s the salvation by Jesus Christ, the virgin birth of Jesus, the resurrection of a biologically dead Jesus.

I call them beliefs. The virgin birth of Jesus is unproven belief, as is his resurrection from biological death, and that salvation is something meaningful.

Facts are explanations that can be proven by direct observation or scientific method. Theories are the best explanations of some known phenomena. Beliefs are explanations that cannot be proven to be true. Truth in this case is subjective. Christians believe Jesus was virgin born, biologically resurrected from the dead, and that it brought salvation (whatever that is) if followers believed in it correctly.

Facts are knowledge. I know that I am an animal, member of the Ape order, a mammal that originated in the Jurassic Period. I know that Earth is a slightly flattened sphere about 4.5 billion years old. I know that continents move about collide and separate while carried on Earth's crustal plates propelled by Plate Tectonics. I know that all observed consciousness is a product of a biological structure called a brain.

Theories are the best explanations of the mechanism of gravity, the theories that an asteroid destroyed the Dinosaurs, the theories that vast volcanism in the Siberian Traps caused the great Permian Extinction 250 million years ago, and the theory that the Fact of Evolution is best explained by Natural Selection, adaptation to changing conditions, and catastrophes.

My beliefs are that I am not ugly or handsome but nice looking for an old Scottish Highlander. I believe that life must exist elsewhere in the Galaxy and Universe. I believe that Dark Energy makes the Galaxies move away from each other at accelerating speeds. I believe that the United States is a dying world empire that will crumble before the end of this century, if not next week.

Amergin

I believe the united states is not going to crumble but it the one place in history where all peoples and all religions reside as one people. Its a unique and wonderful place where we are all free to practice our individual faiths but all live as one people.....we are all americans.

I believe the united states is not going to crumble but it the one place in history where all peoples and all religions reside as one people. Its a unique and wonderful place where we are all free to practice our individual faiths but all live as one people.....we are all americans.

One more point..united we stand......we stand in this belief in the freedom to practice our individual faiths and freedoms we share.....and we are not divided in this belief so we will not fall.

Relative = everything, perceived reality.
Absolute = nothingness, ultimate Reality.

Also, the ideal is always relative to the real, it is impractical exactly because it is the product of imagination. The mind is such that it is never satisfied, and thus man perpetuates his own suffering. If we can drop our idle imaginings, we come to see all is already perfect. Yet, this certainly isn't practical either, thus we are taught to be dissatisfied so that we are useful to the society. This in turn causes more suffering, so we must choose whether to accept we must be of some use or see through the whole thing.

The mind won't like the result, but the mind is the perpetuation of samsara, I have just described a couple of instances of how it keeps turning. The trick is seeing you are only the observer, only the empty center making all movements of the wheel possible.

Also, the ideal is always relative to the real, it is impractical exactly because it is the product of imagination. The mind is such that it is never satisfied, and thus man perpetuates his own suffering. If we can drop our idle imaginings, we come to see all is already perfect. Yet, this certainly isn't practical either, thus we are taught to be dissatisfied so that we are useful to the society. This in turn causes more suffering, so we must choose whether to accept we must be of some use or see through the whole thing.

The mind won't like the result, but the mind is the perpetuation of samsara, I have just described a couple of instances of how it keeps turning.
Agreed.
The trick is seeing you are only the observer, only the empty center making all movements of the wheel possible.
Here's where we disagree: my perspective is in realizing that "absolute" is an inherently unstable (wobbly) state.

Here's where we disagree: my perspective is in realizing that "absolute" is an inherently unstable (wobbly) state.

Only the relative is 'wobbly'.

Find out the observer of the wobble, is there any instability in that?

It will only seem so if you label the attention as the observer, but I mean the source of attention, the very base of awareness. Look into this, whatsoever you can point at is an object, what is the real subject?

Back