You do not need ANYONE to show you the way

There are some things that I feel someone else can show me, especially if I don't know anything about whatever subject it is. But that doesn't mean I wont use common sense.

Of course. Read books, go to group meditations, talk nonsense with friends (about philosophy), but if you seek a guru that would be nice to have (I admit) you shall only find disappointment and money not-so-well-spent. Gurus, nowadays do not exist. They are of course those who would argue this but that is my slant on the matter. Period.
There are some things that I feel someone else can show me, especially if I don't know anything about whatever subject it is. But that doesn't mean I wont use common sense.

Absolutely....we don't all have to touch the hot stove...or test the wet paint sign....

When someone says bridge out ahead....at least slow down eh?

I was tempted to but in an say no one needs a guru. As Monty Python's "Brian the Messiah" states: "You don't need to follow anyone. You're all individuals."

Perhaps a guru can help people look past the mental constructs we develop to help us deal with everyday life.

But. Really. There's no need to follow.

Here's what Kabir says in Bijak(43)
Title:The abode of the beloved

Pandit, you've got it wrong.
There's no creator or creation there,
no gross or fine, ni wind or fire,
no sun, moon, earth or water,
no radiant form, no time there,
no word, no flesh, no faith,
no cause & effect, nor any thought
of the Veda. No Hari or Brahma,
no Shiva or Shakti, no pilgrimage