what is Sin in Christianity ?

anywhere from being born (orginal sin)
to breaking any of 617 commandments

I understand that sin is a greek archery term meaning missing your mark...

So it is failing to do what you should...not living upto expectations of others?

That is a fairly popular notion.

In my church we believe, we are punished by our sins, not for them...

And a sin is not a failure...it is intentionally doing wrong AND not learning from it.

Let's hold back on the exageration ...

Being born is not a sin as such, rather the condition into which we are born is one of estrangement brought about by a corruption of nature.

The '617 commandments' apply to the Jews, not to Christians ... although I couldn't tell you how many possible sins there are, bearing in mind human ingenuity is limitless!

To be a sin requires the free and informed assent of the will to something one knows (or should know, one can't claim 'I didn't know' when common sense tells you otherwise) to be wrong — the expectation of others has nothing to do with it, really.

I can agree with Wil's somewhat poetic sentiment about being 'punished by', but then that's quite an ancient sentiment, the point being a sin cannot punish you, really.

In traditional terms, by sin we cut ourselves off from the Divine, rather than the Divine cutting us off.

God bless,

Thomas

Let's hold back on the exageration ...

Being born is not a sin as such, rather the condition into which we are born is one of estrangement brought about by a corruption of nature.

The '617 commandments' apply to the Jews, not to Christians ... although I couldn't tell you how many possible sins there are, bearing in mind human ingenuity is limitless!

To be a sin requires the free and informed assent of the will to something one knows (or should know, one can't claim 'I didn't know' when common sense tells you otherwise) to be wrong — the expectation of others has nothing to do with it, really.

I can agree with Wil's somewhat poetic sentiment about being 'punished by', but then that's quite an ancient sentiment, the point being a sin cannot punish you, really.

In traditional terms, by sin we cut ourselves off from the Divine, rather than the Divine cutting us off.

God bless,

Thomas

:D
I like this!

so what is it ?

i have realised I dont know.

Gods laws have been written in your heart .

if a stranger met you on the street and for no reason at all he kicked you hard in the groin or stabbed you in the stomac or robbed you after stabbing you and leaving you to die ,, you would instantly know that was sinfull and wrong of him .:) And you most likly would not ever want the same treatment again from such a person..

now also Gods laws written in your heart would say by your conscience you would be wrong if you were the one dishing out such treatment ..

That is what St. Paul means when he says that the Gentiles “show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing, now even defending them” (Romans 2:15

wouldn't we first have to define "Christianity"?
seems otherwise there will be differing thoughts....
Interesting question.

I'm not sure? There's the concept of sin in Buddhism, which is pretty much the same. I do agree that my 'list of sins' might differ from other denominations, but the necessary elements to constitute a sin, the 'knowing assent of the will', will be the same?

Or am I jumping to conclusions?

God bless,

Thomas

Gods laws have been written in your heart .

if a stranger met you on the street and for no reason at all he kicked you hard in the groin or stabbed you in the stomac or robbed you after stabbing you and leaving you to die ,, you would instantly know that was sinfull and wrong of him .:) And you most likly would not ever want the same treatment again from such a person..

now also Gods laws written in your heart would say by your conscience you would be wrong if you were the one dishing out such treatment ..

so for you sin is being bad then ?

i was reading a book about Christianity and it was talking about sin and the Hym amazing grace, and it occurred to me that I dont feel like a wretch or a sinner.

although i admit i am often wrong and sometimes purposefully mean, but I am not a wretch or a sinner.

maybe sin is just a hopelessly outdated term.

... although i admit i am often wrong and sometimes purposefully mean, but I am not a wretch or a sinner.
maybe sin is just a hopelessly outdated term.
I rather think the Reformation notion of man as utterly corrupt is the problem, rather than the idea of sin.

Martin Luther had a very, very poor opinion of human nature, quite the opposite of the existing Catholic/Orthodox idea, and this notion informed the development of post-Reformation denominations.

The traditional viewpoint is that human nature is intrinsically good, but wounded, whereas the Reformation notion is that human nature is intrinsically f*cked and that's that.

Whereas the traditional view is that of sanctification, summed up in the phrase 'grace perfects nature', the Reformation viewpoint refuted this and stressed justification, in that the human soul was, is, and always will be corrupted, but God does not impute the fault:
"I said before that our righteousness is dung in the sight of God. Now if God chooses to adorn dung, he can do so" (Luther's Works, Vol. 34, page 184).

The saying imputed to Luther, that the justified soul is a 'snow-covered dungheap' cannot be traced, but all scholars agree it sums of his attitude on the matter.

God bless,

Thomas

VG, Thomas! NCOT, an awful lot has changed over the last 200 years or so. Most of us are allowed to develop our own opinions about the nature of humanity. The Traditional Christians (and Jews, and Muslims) had it right all along.

On our own very, very few of us ever come to believe in the wholesale f*ckedness of humanity and G!d's unjust whimsy (I add Calvinist pre-destination here). "Sin" in Traditional Christianity is more like it's original usage in Hebrew... meaning "to stray".

PS look up the life of the author. A tormented calvinist upbringing, making money as a slaver. When he awoke, he had a lot to complain about.

Thomas Radar Mark thanks for the info.

As an ex charismatic i am seeking to reconnect with Christianity but I find a lot of mainstream protestant Christianity unpalatable.

yeah I am no slaver like the author of the hymn, although I'm not that great I'm not a piece of shit either.

This will tell you what sin is;

JN: "When the Advocate comes whom I will send you from the Father, the Spirit of truth that proceeds from the Father, he will testify to me.
And you also testify, because you have been with me from the beginning.
I have told you this so that you may not fall away.
They will expel you from the synagogues; in fact, the hour is coming when everyone who kills you will think he is offering worship to God.
They will do this because they have not known either the Father or me.
I have told you this so that when their hour comes you may remember that I told you. "I did not tell you this from the beginning, because I was with you.
But now I am going to the One who sent me, and not one of you asks me, 'Where are you going?'
But because I told you this, grief has filled your hearts.
But I tell you the truth, it is better for you that I go. For if I do not go, the Advocate will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you. And when he comes he will convict the world in regard to sin and righteousness and condemnation:
sin, because they do not believe in me;
righteousness, because I am going to the Father and you will no longer see me;
condemnation, because the ruler of this world has been condemned.
"I have much more to tell you, but you cannot bear it now.
But when he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to all truth. He will not speak on his own, but he will speak what he hears, and will declare to you the things that are coming.
He will glorify me, because he will take from what is mine and declare it to you.

Sin is not believing in the son of man who comes in the name of the Lord.

The Lord says this;

Turn to me and be safe, all you ends of the earth, for I am God; there is no other!
By myself I swear, uttering my just decree and my unalterable word: To me every knee shall bend; by me every tongue shall swear,
Saying, Only in the Lord are just deeds and power.
In the Lord shall be the vindication and the glory of all the descendants of Israel

I am God, there is no other; I am God, there is none like me.
At the beginning I foretell the outcome; in advance, things not yet done. I say that my plan shall stand, I accomplish my every purpose. I call from the east a bird of prey, from a distant land, one to carry out my plan. Yes, I have spoken, I will accomplish it; I have planned it, and I will do it. I will put salvation within Zion, and give to Israel my glory.
My glory I will not give to another.

All those who call on the name of the Lord will be saved.

So if u grovel to this lord, he will save u. Save u from what ?

The Lord, the God of Israel says this;

Exodus;
You shall worship the Lord your God, and I will bless your bread and your water; and I will take sickness away from among you. No one shall miscarry or be barren in your land; I will fulfill the number of your days. I will send my terror in front of you, and will throw into confusion all the people against whom you shall come, and I will make all your enemies turn their backs to you

Back