The awul "Journey"

wil

UNeyeR1
Veteran Member
Reaction score
My life has been a series of learnings, events, which culminate to today...

We were all raised in various religions, took a variety of paths and ended up where we are.

There are paths we took, or were taken on that we now reject...there are others we reject and we now accept. There are events that we strived to make happen which were fun yet fairly meaningless to us today and other traumatic events which we prayed to get out of which we now see as important turning points, or even pinacles of our journey that led us where we are.

I know folks who were trained, steeped in the bible, memorized the bible at the behest of their parents or church....while they now reject much of those literal teachings their education in this vien was what provided the foundation of their beliefs now (be they considered blasphemy by others)

How about you?

Hi Will.

From atheist to agnostic, to muslim to christian, with interests in budhism and advaita and paganism, mostly I am a collection of habits and fears which is what I call myself, spiritually I am leaning towards non duality these days, i still pray to an external god though when I am desperate :rolleyes:

Rejected religion at an early age to become a scientist. Couldn't do that so I became (due to a judge) a military member where I met a bunch of Buddhists and Daoists. But they sent me to school in physics. But later on I had a spiritual awakening that led me to a general mystical and mythical bent.

Sex, drug and rock n roll and rent and taxes. hardly any time to be religious.
Are you forgetting something, Hare Krishna?

From a doubting Thomas theist hindu to an atheist advaitist hindu. Buddha helped. I wont term it as an aweful journey, just natural progression.

oooo

I mispelled, but love your mispelling....I'm taking it as intentional....aweful....wow...that is what was meant by the entire first post.

aweful....thank you so much, ourcellves appreciate it!

Catholic Birth
Broken Family in my Youth
near death car accident in my Youth
Studied Martial arts in my Youth
Discovered the "mushin" of "Bushido" in my Youth
searched out 'seizen' meditation in my Youth
learnt TM Meditation in my Youth
read the "Tao te ching" in my Youth
searched out, as per a book index: "Ancient Indian Boxing" [source of Shalon temple Kung-fu]
discovered the bhagavad-gita [but only chapters 1 to 6 by Maharshi Mehesh Yogi].
and then finally, when I encountered a Covert Hare Krishna with a sack of Vedic Translation books and the "Back to Godhead Magazine" ---I leafed through the Magazine on the spot--- upon which moment I spotted the following term:

"The Supreme Personality Of Godhead".

I stared at this Hare Krishna "book distributor" making his rounds,
and exclaimed, "Do you realise what you are implying here with the use of the term, *The Supreme Personality Of Godhead*? Can you substantiate this? Is this in the Gita?"

I do not remember his specific reply to my excited exclamation; maybe because I then asked another question of him,

"Btw, do you Know who 'Krishna' is? You know, the guy from the Gita?"
He said, "yes".
-
Btw, as a result, I still have the same affection and unending respect for the RC Church all the more for what I know now of the Path.

The Awful Journey to the present I don't really want to talk about, it's too Awful. I think it was Benjamin Disraeli who said when asked, "I am not a descendent, I am an ancestor" and to paraphrase that, I would rather dwell on what is possible than on what is history.

Not that there's much point in that either, mind you.

big hugz aerist....

contemplation, gratitude at what gotcha here, that is what we are discussing....dwelling....a place where you live...you are correct, no use living in the past.

When are the lessons learned: in the past, the present, or the future?

While the lessons are learned in the present...they are learned while contemplating the past, and utilized (hopefully) in the future eckhardt.

While the lessons are learned in the present...they are learned while contemplating the past, and utilized (hopefully) in the future eckhardt.
Awe yes... that has been my experience.

When are the lessons learned: in the past, the present, or the future?

Who cares? ;););)

Incidentally, if any moderator wants to alter the title of this thread, they can do it in several ways. Any of them would please this body immensely.

Those who wish to do unto others as they would have others do unto them, and those who would appreciate others doing the same. To each their own.

That's an interesting one, isn't it. What I meant was along the lines of "Who is Who" other than a construct, but leave that for the moment.

It has become clear over the years that the best way of noticing what this body needs, is to look at what it seeks to give the others that it loves. It is very rare that it has the insight to look further, and give that other body what that body needs - which of course would be more appreciated.

"Do not do unto others as you would that they should do unto you. Their tastes may not be the same" (George Bernard Shaw, Maxims for Revolutionists; 1903).

It's a good start, though.

It has become clear over the years that the best way of noticing what this body needs, is to look at what it seeks to give the others that it loves.
Why do you think it is best to limit the actions that you look at and consider? You think it lesser to look at what the body seeks to give to those that it does not love, or to look at what it seeks to not give? Do you ever consider that a person can be unloving and hateful, and how it is done?

It is very rare that it has the insight to look further, and give that other body what that body needs - which of course would be more appreciated.
So be above the body and look further.

"Do not do unto others as you would that they should do unto you. Their tastes may not be the same" (George Bernard Shaw, Maxims for Revolutionists; 1903).
Wil here has said something similar. From my viewpoint, George Shaw has substituted substance for manner, and had not looked at the depths of his own actions. Years back I had an alleged Christian pass off a similar example. He said something like, "We are above the law and the golden rule. That rule was for Pharisees and Jews, not for me. I am not going to have sex with someone as I would prefer them to have sex with me. I obey the Lord, instead of rules." My response was: Do unto others in the manner that you would have others do unto you. If you don't like to be raped, then don't rape others. If you like it when others seek your approval, then seek the approval of others. If you like it when others seek your approval for sex, then seek the approval of others before pursuing sex. Law is a matter of joint approval.

For that individual that twists or sees a twist in it, perhaps it helps to add the word: Do unto others in the manner that you would have others do unto you. That can be twisted too though. From my viewpoint, it is a simple rule that is based on a very simple and provable fact: You are more responsible and in control of your actions than I am, and I am more responsible and in control of my actions than you are. Unless I am wrong or that changes, nobody can defeat the golden rule. If they speak against it, then watch out for the sin that they are either hiding, or are unwilling to look at, admit to, and change.

Why do you think it is best to limit the actions that you look at and consider? You think it lesser to look at what the body seeks to give to those that it does not love, or to look at what it seeks to not give?

Just fostering self-awareness, is all. It is unnecessary to read too much into it.

Back