Common Figure of Speech/Colloquial Language?

Hi Wil —
Not entirely sure of the view of John in that link?

Matthew was a rabbi, writing to the Jewish-Christian community in Syria. Mark (probably John Mark) is basically Peter's gospel, or rather his primary source is Peter. I quite like the idea that Mark wrote based on Peter's catechetical lectures when he was under house arrest in Rome. (This also explains the addenda to the end of the gospel.) Luke was addressed to a Gentile Christian community.

John's audience I would have thought primarily Jewish — it assumes a knowledge of Hebrew scripture and history — and the supposed 'gnostic' themes (which actually pre-date the emergence of those themes in 'the Gnostics') are now seen to be there in Hebrew mystical speculation.

The problem with all this is it's based on theory. Not bad in itself, but one has to be careful that a theory is not a construct that one shoe-horns the evidence into, to arrive at a neat solution.

Consider: The earliest writings are Paul's, and Paul speaks about the gospel existing before he started preaching. Indeed, he had to contend that his message was as equal to the teaching the Christian communities had received.

Consider: There are elements in John that appear more fully developed in the synoptics, and in any normal circumstance this is evidence that the John materials predate the synoptics. Some have put John as early as 50AD. The argument of an advanced Christology means it must be late falls in the face of the theology in Paul's Letter to the Romans, which is no less sophisticated.

Consider: The 'Q' materials have no evidence, no provenance, nada. What makes the idea appealing is it offers a solution to the questions of origin, and in the absence of any other solution, suddenly Q assumes importance. To the point where one might say 'Q' must have existed, because we can't answer the question without it.

The elephant in the room is, of course, oral transmission.

Reactions: RJM
I find oral tradition concept interesting. You think of them telling the same story over and over. But when you look at the book, we have four stories of the Gospel, and two of Noah and Genesis, all of distinct differences

Reactions: RJM
RJM,
re: "...as @Thomas observes, the written reference you seek is Matthew 12.40 itself. It's a perfect example really of 'three days' being colloquially written as 'three days and three nights'."

Even if Matthew 12:40 were referring to a 6th day of the week crucifixion - and there is no proof that it is - it would only be one example where a night was forecast to be involved with an event when no part of a night time could have occurred. However, this topic is concerned with multiple examples, i.e., the commonality of such usage. See post #150.

RJM,
re: "...as @Thomas observes, the written reference you seek is Matthew 12.40 itself. It's a perfect example really of 'three days' being colloquially written as 'three days and three nights'."

Even if Matthew 12:40 were referring to a 6th day of the week crucifixion - and there is no proof that it is - it would only be one example where a night was forecast to be involved with an event when no part of a night time could have occurred. However, this topic is concerned with multiple examples, i.e., the commonality of such usage. See post #150.

I can't provide them. However I'm not a scholar of ancient languages.

But I do believe the points and explanations gathered in this year's replies to your query should be enough to convince most anyone not to disregard the whole resurrection narrative on account of this single 'and three nights' phrase alone?

(post edited)

Last edited:
RJM,
re: "I can't provide them."

OK, no problem. Perhaps someone new looking in may know of examples.

re: "But I do believe the points and explanations gathered in this year's replies to your query should be enough to convince most anyone not to disregard the whole resurrection narrative on account of this single 'and three nights' phrase alone?"

To answer your question, how would I know if you believe that? But that's a question for a different topic.

It's safe in the Almighty. The universe turns on

Last edited:
It probably goes back to Jonah being in the whale for three days and three nights is my guess...

Jonah 1:17 Now the LORD had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

and in the Gospel of

Matthew 12:39

But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas: 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Look at the Gospel of Luke 11:29

And when the people were gathered thick together, he began to say, This is an evil generation: they seek a sign; and there shall no sign be given it, but the sign of Jonas the prophet.

11:30 For as Jonas was a sign unto the Ninevites, so shall also the Son of man be to this generation.

Now compare the above Gospel verses with the Gospel of Mark 8:11

And the Pharisees came forth, and began to question with him, seeking of him a sign from heaven, tempting him.

8:12

And he sighed deeply in his spirit, and saith, Why doth this generation seek after a sign? verily I say unto you, There shall no sign be given unto this generation.

It may be the Markan verses being earlier were conflated...?
If the shoe fits your foot then the intent of the allegory is risen in you, the son of man, marred clay reformed to contain a everlasting new testament, the lamb/innocents slain from when the spiritual law started building the foundation of your world which started at your dawn of higher awareness. For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? same stories that happen in God's house made with out hands.
It's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited:
I need to add to post #150 - "and who thinks that a calendar day began at sunset".

In thinking about it, I realize that it doesn't make any difference with regard to sunset versus sunrise; there would still be a lack of a third night with a 6th day of the week crucifixion.

Thomas,
re: "At last!"

I'm afraid I don't understand. I wonder if you could explain what you mean?

Thomas,
re: "
I would, but I fear we'd just end up in a repetition of previous discussions."

No need for discussion. Just tell me what "at last" refers to.

And that "someone new" needs to be someone who believes the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with a 1st day of the week resurrection, and who thinks that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb, and who tries to explain the lack of a 3rd night by saying that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language of the period.

Thoughts of this moment in time.

Discussing religious nuance between believers has value in each developing understandings...

Arguing minutia between believers and non believers has little real value to either.

I believe Mr @rstrats is the owner of the large and popular Religious Forums site?
https://www.religiousforums.com/
Busted, dude?
:cool:

Nothing new, as the thought has obviously been considered that:

"Two-whole-days-and-a bit-of-another-one-and-only-two-full-nights' doesn't have quite the same ring as three days and three nights imo? But the meaning isn't really changed?

The number 'seven' isn't usually taken to mean exactly 'seven' but more like: a bunch of. Feeding the five thousand is probably not condemned as inaccurate if it means 'around 5000' rather than precisely 5000 on the nose? Even for strict Bible literalists? :)

Last edited:
wil,
re: "Discussing religious nuance between believers has value in each developing understandings...Arguing minutia between believers and non believers has little real value to either."

Those are issues for a different topic.

Back