Future of Music

P

PersonaNonGrata

alter-ego's in da house...

When MTV first broadcasted "Prodigy - Firestarter", i was like wthell mate wtfs that? Was the coolest sh8t ever.. Sleeping and waking up with Music for the Jilted Generation at those times.

Then came a genre that has nothing spectacular in it filled with JLO, Destiny's Daughters ;), those latinos and a lil bit Pink stuff in it. Eminem 'is' kinda original actually, then R&B's unstoppable increase on the lists.

2 weeks ago was in Prodigy's concert for their new album with 4-5 thousand 'fans'. I'm calling fans, cuz i thought their latest album Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned couldnt attach itself to lists succesfully.

And for today after watching No Doubt's Gwen's Video "What You Waiting For" i asked myself what will the future music be?

I personally, think that asymmetrical beats and rhytms among with syntheszers will take the leading part for our bach ears. Speaking of classical, oddly enough Verdi's "Dies Irae" and Richard Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" is among the first ones that shouldnt be listened while driving.
Yeah, what is your music taste likes? Any idea where our music is heading to?

Best time fav. is:
Anhtrax "Attack of the Killer B's"

hey Persona

it feels like (american) music is indeed getting better. i'm comparing what it is now to say, three or four years ago. there was a boy band pandemic from which it seemed music would never recover.

alternative rock seems to be making a comeback. pop music is sounding a little more interesting / personal, and less plastically radio-friendly. so i have hope.

my own tastes are pretty all over the place, but i do like country. johnny cash and patsy cline, older stuff. i like classic white guy rockers. bob dylan, bruce springsteen, tom petty....

also, early 20th century blue grass/country/folk/blues songs. the kind where it's just a wheezy, old fellah or a husky voiced, broad woman and his/her guitar or banjo belting out tunes about dogs, whiskey, gals, or jesus.

Hi.

I like jazz, metal, "classic rock", klezmer, and everything in between. I am hoping that the future of music will be greater cross-polinization between different types of music. My friend was telling me about some sort of polka-metal. That sounds cool. I've been listening to a lot of Matisyahu, the Hasidic Reggae Superstar and I'm hoping more people will be willing to combine different music into something new and original.

I am thinking:

hip hop/bluegrass/indie rock/ska. Oh yeah.

Dauer

ISFP said:
whoa, that sounds cool. what does his music sound like / where can i find it?

It's dance hall reggae/shlomo carlebach type stuff, if you know who that is. Matisyahu uses a lot of mystical language in his songs from different kabbalistic sources. I don't listen to a lot of dance hall reggae, though now I may start. But I have heard that his delivery is pretty strong for the genre, instead of being more laid back.

http://www.hasidicreggae.com/

He's just released his first LP. I have it pre-ordered. But he also has mp3's on his site and in a few other places. Also, I found a video of him beat-boxing:

http://jdubrecords.org/index.php?id=36&section=article

One of the mp3's on his site is an interview with him. He started out as a reconstructionist Jew but found Judaism through reggae music, which he explains on that mp3. Then he met a Chabad/Lubavitch rabbi and that's where his life took him.

He was on Jimmy Kimmel Live, if you're in the states.

Dauer

Ohh, what a thread topic..!
I hope that we can experience a backlash 'gainst the prefab bands in the near future. After all, we all remember grunge, donwe? I, for one, felt an enormous relief the second the hairfarming bands of yore were all but forgotten when the cleansing effect of the ripped jeans gen-x'ers hit the fan. I wish we can see something of the ilk in the near future, and I tell you, it's not a moment too soon. Hopefully, we can see truly creative bands and artists striving for something of their own in a music world crammed to the brim with perfectly groomed chartbusters.

There ain't much out there that tickles my fancy at the moment. Quite a lot of old skool pre-Marley Rock Steady from Jamaica has rotated extensively on my turntable. Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, as well. Along various punks, The Exploited, et cetera. All old stuff. Sad, no? The Teddybears from Sweden are kool, tho.

I had the same itching feeling as PersonaNonGrata after seeing/hearing Gwen 'go solo'. Wtf?

-JC

One of our members/moderators, bananabrain, plays Ladino music (Sephardic music, which is to the Jewish people from the Mediterranean region what kletzmer music is to the Jewish people from Eastern Europe.) It has fluid flamenco rhythms and such. If he wants to toot his own horn I'll leave it up to him. :)

I'm more into international folk music like Navan (a sean nos group from the Madison, Wisconsin area.) Sean nos is the old style of Celtic music, which was a cappella (sung without any musical accompaniment.) It is also mostly an oral tradition and they (Navan) sing the songs in the original languages (Scots Gaelic, Irish Gaelic, Welsh, Manx, Braeton, Cornish, etc.) I also have a cd of Swedish music (an end-of-the-semester present from a classmate in my first semester Swedish class.) I'm also rather eclectic in my musical choices (almost anything will be given a few chances, except for gangsta rap, which I find little-to-no redeeming features.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

i guess i am the only one that likes his music hard and kinky here ; and tohught the future is inside the syntheszers..
lol yeah i used to go to clubbin' a lot. still enjoy some of tribal trance, or house though im more of a minimal techno guy now when i go outside @ weekends,

well i guess im getting older... future of music, that'll be so hard to predict with so many different tastes we have ))

I guess you're not the only, dear. I do have a penchant for somewhat... hmm ...obnoxious muzak, as well. I guess you're familiar w/ The Gerogerigegege? Yes, it IS spelled that way.

Ratatosk said:
I guess you're not the only, dear. I do have a penchant for somewhat... hmm ...obnoxious muzak, as well. I guess you're familiar w/ The Gerogerigegege? Yes, it IS spelled that way.
no ratatosk never heard of them, would, though couldnt find any audio for these japanese guys. got one that i can taste b4 i buy?

**** compose, **** melody, Dedicated to no one, Thanks to no one, ART IS OVER.. sounds appealing ; )

Sorry for the late reply, PNG. The G is pretty hard to come by, tell you the truth. As ya can tell from the titles, it's not the stuff you can find at your local Wal-Mart. I located 'Tokyo A*** Dynamite' after three years o' searching. Well worth the wait, tho. Catastrophically, horribly wonderful stuff. Hmm.., hard synth stuff..? Eh, Front242, Wumpscut?

The Future of Music is a strange and slippery idea--we start with present trends and try to project into the future, usually with absurd results--

The German composer Kurt Weill once said

"I have never acknowledged the difference between 'serious' music and 'light' music. There is only good music and bad music."
At about the same time, on the other side of the Atlantic, Duke Ellington states:

"There are only two kinds of music, good music and bad music."
If you have the wit to ask the question, you know the answer.

BluejayWay said:
The Future of Music is a strange and slippery idea--we start with present trends and try to project into the future, usually with absurd results--

The German composer Kurt Weill once said

At about the same time, on the other side of the Atlantic, Duke Ellington states:

If you have the wit to ask the question, you know the answer.
I guess i did point out what i think the future of music will be, that makes me witty.. yay yaaay

regards as usual ...
PNG

Back