Must We Confess Our Sin Dailly ?

G

Genade

Do we need to confess our sins daily?

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9).

Genade, keep in mind this letter is from the author, John, who also wrote the Gospel of John. That author uses a unique style, and 'Confessing our sins' is phrase that needs definition mainly from context. Note that John says this in the context of light & darkness. It is one of John's favorite topics and is directly related to chapter 3 of his gospel which is also about light and darkness.

I think this verse is about one thing: not judging other people's doctrines. It is akin to saying 'Let God be true and every man a liar.' (Romans 3:4). It does not mean you must go through your day saying "Sorry I defrauded this person, maimed that person, stole this and neglected to do such & such." or "Sorry that I'm falling short in areas A,B & C." Obviously you should not do those things, but that is not what John is talking about.

I'd like to add that the center of the gospel is this: "Glory to God in the Highest, Peace on Earth, and good will toward men." The entire message of the gospel and every scripture you read in the NT revolves around that. It is the hinge upon which door swings. The gospel is specifically not "Glory to men who accept the truth, divisions upon Earth, and obsequious shame for men."

It is really quite small-minded to classify the contents of anything based on one senternce. However, we are all sinners (regardless of what you think this means).

Therefore it is incumbent on us to remember our trespasses (even on a daily basis), even if the Gospels do not mandate this.

Radar,

I believe in the idea of karma, so I would take this one step further. I believe that, if we do something bad, then we must expect someone bad to happen to us in the future. The bible says an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth, and the bible is referring to the idea of burning off bad karma. So, it is incumbent on us to make amends for our trespasses (even on a daily basis), even if the Gospels do not mandate this. Simply saying we're sorry doesn't go far enough.

radarmark said:
It is really quite small-minded to classify the contents of anything based on one senternce. However, we are all sinners (regardless of what you think this means).

Therefore it is incumbent on us to remember our trespasses (even on a daily basis), even if the Gospels do not mandate this.
Thank you for that advice. I wish I had thought of it, and I should definitely listen to it.

So do we have the label of "sinner" because all of us are capable of doing wrong and even deeper, harbor the capacity to do wrong based on our thinking? If this is not the case, why are we all sinners?

Paladin said:
So do we have the label of "sinner" because all of us are capable of doing wrong and even deeper, harbor the capacity to do wrong based on our thinking? If this is not the case, why are we all sinners?
It depends upon whom you ask. In a general we can all be better than we are at something, so in that sense we are sinners. In the context of 1John 1:9 a person should consider themselves a sinner compared to God in terms of truth and importance with no extra levels between any two people. Confessing you are a sinner is admitting there is no right person to ask questions of, nobody whose ideas are above another's ideas. In the original (I suggest) context this verse goes so far as to equate people of different intellectual strengths, backgrounds and perhaps even undermines the right to own claim property, though that is unclear. Romans 3:23 says "All have sinned" and moving towards verse 27 adds "where, then, is boasting?" We have James 2, too, who says not to show any favoritism, to love your neighbor as much as you love yourself, not to boast, to accept that wisdom comes equally to all from God. The ones who don't accept this it calls double minded (division minded?). James 3:17 says " But the wisdom that comes from heaven is..impartial and sincere," contrasting it with the wisdom that comes through people.

It depends upon whom you ask. In a general we can all be better than we are at something, so in that sense we are sinners. In the context of 1John 1:9 a person should consider themselves a sinner compared to God in terms of truth and importance with no extra levels between any two people. Confessing you are a sinner is admitting there is no right person to ask questions of, nobody whose ideas are above another's ideas. In the original (I suggest) context this verse goes so far as to equate people of different intellectual strengths, backgrounds and perhaps even undermines the right to own claim property, though that is unclear. Romans 3:23 says "All have sinned" and moving towards verse 27 adds "where, then, is boasting?" We have James 2, too, who says not to show any favoritism, to love your neighbor as much as you love yourself, not to boast, to accept that wisdom comes equally to all from God. The ones who don't accept this it calls double minded (division minded?). James 3:17 says " But the wisdom that comes from heaven is..impartial and sincere," contrasting it with the wisdom that comes through people.

So then if we are all in the same boat, so to speak, why the need for the label?

Paladin said:
So then if we are all in the same boat, so to speak, why the need for the label?
I don't think you have to be labeled. This is a Christian text that I'm explaining in its ancient context as well as I'm able to understand it. The label is a more recent development whereas originally this confession places God in such a superior position to people that we are all small in comparison. It is a way of getting around the inability to label God by trying to make a comparison between God and people, so it is attempting to characterize God. Today it is often used as a label people put upon themselves and say "I am a sinner," but I'm not in agreement with taking it as a label on people. I still agree with radarmark about looking at areas in which we need to improve. That is a great idea.

I'm reminded of casting the first stone, that we shouldn't consider ourselves morally superior to other but to look to ourselves?

A Cup of Tea said:
I'm reminded of casting the first stone, that we shouldn't consider ourselves morally superior to other but to look to ourselves?
Definitely that is related. In the Christian context we are both made in God's likeness and also inspired by the Spirit. Christians are then exhorted to see God in themselves but more in those around them on the whole allegorically as if they were all parts of a huge tent in which God was present. (This is another of John's allegories taken from chapter one of his gospel.) The Christian does look to themselves and does have an opinion, but they don't place their opinion in a pedestal. It would be extremely difficult to fulfill John's allegory to the letter, to fulfill his high ideal of behaving in this way. In some places you would get walked upon constantly. To that degree you'd have to look to yourself just to survive I imagine. You would be unable to submit to other people perfectly unless surrounded by people of the same mindset as yourself.

love God. and out of love comes wanting to be holy as God and to love others as God is Holy and loves us. If you desire this in your heart, your heart will tell you to confess, and then you do it.

We are all sinners because all have done something "not on the path". That is all. What g!d needs and wants is for us all to reach out in love, kindness, and justice. If there is one who has consistently done this (other than monks, tirtankas, and buddhas) I do not know of their existence today.

Okay, there could be a sinless one. But I think we would hear about her or him.

Let's, for a moment, assume, for the moment, the idea that the theological concept of sin is the same as the poetic use of the term hamartanein — 'missing the mark' — then it would be well to recall those occasions on which one misses the mark and seek to correct them, otherwise you're about as much use as an archer wearing a blindfold.

The idea that one should engage in self-doubt, self-recrimination, self-loathing, and generally wallow in guilt as part of the process ... I don't think so ... I think the message of Christianity is 'man up and put your back into it.'

Yes, I think that is a very Judaic interpretation, Thomas. Most of us are probably envisioning Four-Square confessions.

We all know (or should know) where we miss the mark or stray from the path. And we should not focus on wallowing in guilt.

love God. and out of love comes wanting to be holy as God and to love others as God is Holy and loves us. If you desire this in your heart, your heart will tell you to confess, and then you do it.

Amen.

I think the Saints must have felt this on a minute to minute basis.

Thomas said "I think the message of Christianity is 'man up and put your back into it."

Not sure if you mean this the way I interpret it; it sounds similar though probably not the same.

I do not believe in guilt. It is the most wasteful, useless of all human emotions. If you do wrong, wallowing in guilt is the easy way out because you don't have to actually fix anything; just feel terrible about doing it. Same results with confession. They are both a cop out.

Here is what I do rather than waste time on feeling guilty. If I do wrong (or sin in the religious vernacular) I make it my business to attempt to make it right. If I have wronged someone I attempt to make it up to them. If that is not possible or if they will not accept it, they at least get my apology.

If it an instance where it is impossible to make amends for whatever reason, I pay it forward instead.

Can I declare I have no guilt. No. Try as I might there are some things that get through. I do my best to keep it to a minimum.

In my belief, my approach is a proactive solution to sin.

"Must We Confess Our Sin Daily?"

That is merely the first step. We must also apologize to the person we have hurt. Finally we must make amends, and undue the damage that we have done. (Many times, simply saying I'm sorry is not enough.) We should also tell our 'victim' that we are striving never to do such a bad thing again, that we are willing to put in place the necessary changes in our lifestyle that caused this to happen in the first place, and that we are asking the 'victim' for their help in making these changes in ourselves. Most importantly, we should use the time of apologizing as a time to focus on the other person's emotional needs, not focusing on our own emotional needs (a mistake that most apologizers make -- feel free to ask for examples).

Without these other steps, the solitary act of apologizing to God is practically meaningless. As a matter of fact, these other steps are more important (and more difficult) than confessing our sins to God.

"Must We Confess Our Sin Daily?"

That is merely the first step. We must also apologize to the person we have hurt. Finally we must make amends, and undue the damage that we have done. (Many times, simply saying I'm sorry is not enough.) We should also tell our 'victim' that we are striving never to do such a bad thing again, that we are willing to put in place the necessary changes in our lifestyle that caused this to happen in the first place, and that we are asking the 'victim' for their help in making these changes in ourselves. Most importantly, we should use the time of apologizing as a time to focus on the other person's emotional needs, not focusing on our own emotional needs (a mistake that most apology-seekers make).
Nothing could be better than this. The Jains have a particular day on which they would seek excuse for any mistake they might have committed with that person unknowingly (because knowingly, we are not supposed to commit any mistake. :) That is 'pap' (sin), and that will only be squared by the Lord of Death, Yama, when we reach his office). This is known as 'Paryushan Day'. We, Hindus, do it the day after Deepawali (Diwali). Person to person, and not to any God or Goddess. :)

Back