What do you hope for when you die?

Q, there are fewer defenders of the discipline of science on here than me. Yet even I cannot go quite so far as you on this issue. There are areas where science will not ever, and probably can not explain.

Where, and how, did it all begin is one of them. Whether there was an intellectual driving force or not is another. What happens to one after one's life in this reality is over is a third.

Science is not equipped to answer such questions.

Q, there are fewer defenders of the discipline of science on here than me. Yet even I cannot go quite so far as you on this issue. There are areas where science will not ever, and probably can not explain.

Where, and how, did it all begin is one of them. Whether there was an intellectual driving force or not is another. What happens to one after one's life in this reality is over is a third.

Science is not equipped to answer such questions.

Not now of course, but one day it might be able to explain all, I hope so.

Not now of course, but one day it might be able to explain all, I hope so.

Does this mean you are hoping to change your mind?
What type of science are you thinking of? Basic science? Applied science? Fundamental science?
Many people think of science only in terms of Applied science (measurable, reproduced) which of course is not applicable to proving the afterlife ...
NDEs appear to be the closest & best information we'll ever get, at the same time, its a choice to believe whether or not the stories are true ...

Does this mean you are hoping to change your mind?
What type of science are you thinking of? Basic science? Applied science? Fundamental science?
Many people think of science only in terms of Applied science (measurable, reproduced) which of course is not applicable to proving the afterlife ...
NDEs appear to be the closest & best information we'll ever get, at the same time, its a choice to believe whether or not the stories are true ...

Obviously if there was any irrefutable evidence that an afterlife exists then I would have to change my mind. I thought NDEs had been explained, as changes in the brain, when near death, not evidence of an afterlife. I hope this life is it, and one ceases to be on death. I am not a scientist, but am of the opinion science is where it at, not religion.

Obviously if there was any irrefutable evidence that an afterlife exists then I would have to change my mind. I thought NDEs had been explained, as changes in the brain, when near death, not evidence of an afterlife. I hope this life is it, and one ceases to be on death. I am not a scientist, but am of the opinion science is where it at, not religion.

I believe in both religion & science ...
A new study "suggests" a near death experience is caused by a surge of brain activity as a last hoorah ...
Near death is not the same as dead as a door nail off to the spirit world or wherever & whatever ...
Obviously, it is not proof of the afterlife but it does bring me comfort as well as many others who have lost loved ones ... :D

I believe in both religion & science ...
A new study "suggests" a near death experience is caused by a surge of brain activity as a last hoorah ...
Near death is not the same as dead as a door nail off to the spirit world or wherever & whatever ...
Obviously, it is not proof of the afterlife but it does bring me comfort as well as many others who have lost loved ones ... :D

I know I am weird but I have no interest in reacquainting myself with people who have died, even those of whom I was fond. Besides which it is possible that one doesn't have the same personality in an afterlife.

I know I am weird but I have no interest in reacquainting myself with people who have died, even those of whom I was fond. Besides which it is possible that one doesn't have the same personality in an afterlife.

What I do find weird is stating "one does not have the same personality in the afterlife" ...
How do you know this if you don't believe in the afterlife?
Has it been scientifically proven? ...
From where did this information come from? ...

Love & fondness are not the same nor would the grief from loss be the same ...
The level of grief, if any, depends on the type of relationship ...
Some people suddenly turn to religion when their spouse, child or loved one dies while others turn away ...
Its easy to make talking head claims when the experience is unknown although great thought has been put into it ...
When the experience is upon a person emotions are involved, it has a way of changing everyone regardless of the direction ...

I know very well some people simply like to speak their mind w/out any type of support for their claim or decision & that's okay ...
I find as you say "weird"-ness quite amusing at times ... ;)

Nothing wrong with being weird. Let that freak flag fly!

According to the Bhagavad Gita when we pass we will have no knowledge of our former self in the next life. We may well meet up with those we knew before, but we are unlikely to have the same relationship.

In other words, your spouse in this life could well be your parent in the next or even your child. Wrap you head around that one for weird! :eek:

Nothing wrong with being weird. Let that freak flag fly!

According to the Bhagavad Gita when we pass we will have no knowledge of our former self in the next life. We may well meet up with those we knew before, but we are unlikely to have the same relationship.

In other words, your spouse in this life could well be your parent in the next or even your child. Wrap you head around that one for weird! :eek:

Far better to cease to be, imo.

Far better to cease to be, imo.
That's the neat thing about what it says in the Hindu scripture. If when you pass you have no prior knowledge of the life before, you wouldn't know what your opinions were either.

You would just continue on with your next life as if it were your first. New life, new experiences, clean slate.

That's the neat thing about what it says in the Hindu scripture. If when you pass you have no prior knowledge of the life before, you wouldn't know what your opinions were either.

You would just continue on with your next life as if it were your first. New life, new experiences, clean slate.

Fair enough.:)

This is new to me --- I love it! :D

Sadly, much harm has been done to those regressing into their past ...

This is new to me --- I love it! :D

Sadly, much harm has been done to those regressing into their past ...

Most Hindus believe that all past lives will be remembered once your time on earth is over and the reincarnation process stops.

It can be quite disturbing though to become aware of a past life while still living a present one.

Most Hindus believe that all past lives will be remembered once your time on earth is over and the reincarnation process stops.

It can be quite disturbing though to become aware of a past life while still living a present one.

This is true, however, if a regression is done properly there should not be any residual effects ...
Mine was like watching TV - I saw the person who looked like me living her life - it outlined the circumstances for the decisions that were made at the time regardless if they were good or bad as well as the body s/he inhabited & what type of person they were at the time ...
These are very important to know in making the regression a learning experience ...
From what I have gathered, many who have visited psychics not trained & certified in past life regression experience negative effects ...

Back