Any Photogs Out There?

Aussie Thoughts

Just my 2 cents
Reaction score
I've made my living as a photographer/videographer for close to 25 years now and was wondering if there are any other photogs among us whether amateur or professional?

I'd be happy to entertain any questions if anyone has an interest in the subject.

Last edited:
image.jpeg

Here you go Aussie! I am purely recreational photographer. Found I enjoy taking photos of pathways. This photo taken during a walk in Newfoundland. What's your thoughts on my view?

This second photo also in Newfoundland. I feel it is missing something. Perhaps should have picked some wild flowers and sprinkled them on the road for color.... but then i am staging a photo when rather have it pure and natural.

What is right? What is wrong?
Perhaps too much sky?

G'day Elfiet, I like your composition, especially the 1st shot. Good balance there. I'm guessing you're using a point and shoot camera though. Tough to get exposure just right on those. On landscapes it's sometimes helpful if you can adjust shutter speed and white balance. Makes things really vivid. I did a quick edit on your photos below to simulate what I'm talking about. A lot of average photos can be turned into something special in post.

Your 2nd shot needed to be taken from a higher perspective I think and maybe to the left of the path rather than directly on it. I've been known to stand on rocks, boxes, even colleagues to get the shot I want. You're right about having too much sky. Especially if the path itself is your focal point. That too can be fixed with a bit of post edit trickery. See below. There is no right or wrong when your're the artist. If it's pleasing to you it's perfect.

paths.JPG

Last edited:
One of the things that drives me crazy about a lot of these sites where you can download photos I find they are way too washed out far too often.
There's a lot of reasons for that. One is the type and settings of the monitor an image is viewed and edited on. For instance, I did the quick edit of the images above on my laptop. Looked fine to me last night, but now that I see them on my desktop, old CRT monitor, they look way over saturated. Another common problem is the auto setting on most cameras favor red. This tends to give a reddish tint to some colors, especially greens, making them appear washed out. All I did to Elfiet's photos was reduce the amount of red by 25% and gang up the contrast, (a bit too far). Here's the same photo done up on my desktop. Borrowed the sky from her other shot.

Path2.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback Aussie. Yes, guess you would call it point and shoot. It is 7.1 megapixel. Considering I enjoy landscapes, what is basic requirement I should look for in next camera upgrade. Will need to read up on shutter speed.

I like what you did with photo 2. Yes. should have gone to side of road or find some distance. Love how you changed the sky in that last image. One way to get rid of overcast days!

Yes, guess you would call it point and shoot. It is 7.1 megapixel. Considering I enjoy landscapes, what is basic requirement I should look for in next camera upgrade.
When I say 'point and shoot' I just mean preset consumer cameras with little or no manual adjustment possible. Nothing wrong with those really. Handled correctly, they can produce excellent results. By contrast an expensive professional camera is going to be more frustrating than useful in the hands of a novice. To be honest, half the time I just hit the auto button myself. Most of my work is done in a studio setting though, where I have complete control over direction and intensity of light.

The most important thing to consider when buying a new camera is the lens. I'll trade pixel count for a quality lens any day. A lot of low end consumer models come with high pixel counts, but cheap plastic lenses. Huge pixel counts won't do you any good if the lens can't capture a sharp image. Look for models with glass or quartz lenses. I'd stick with name brands like Nikon and Canon. They both have very nice high end consumer models in the sub $300 range. You can often find great 2nd hand bargains on eBay too.

A stupid question for the expert: how to get the best shots of my furred managers without traumatizing them? I'd like to have some photos of them "just in case", and I would like the photos to be recognizable enough for identification purposes.

Do you ken my question?

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

When I say 'point and shoot' I just mean preset consumer cameras with little or no manual adjustment possible. Nothing wrong with those really. Handled correctly, they can produce excellent results.
Speaking of point and shoot, here's one for you Aussie. A cow taking 5 on the path to our place in Fiji. Shot with an HP 1 megapix! One of the very first consumer digitals. Paid $20 for it on eBay.

BullPath.jpg

Last edited:
A stupid question for the expert: how to get the best shots of my furred managers without traumatizing them?
Actually I get this question all the time. Photographing animals is always a challenge. With cats it's about 5% technique and 95% luck. I've been trying to get a good picture of one of our mousers for years! Best I can tell you is, get the cats use to seeing the camera. Walk around with it dangling from you neck for a few days. Once they're use to it being there, engage them in their favorite activity and snap away. Make sure the area is well lit and avoid using a flash. Key here is to be patient and ready to seize opportunity.
Speaking of point and shoot, here's one for you Aussie. A cow taking 5 on the path to our place in Fiji. Shot with an HP 1 megapix! One of the very first consumer digitals. Paid $20 for it on eBay.

This's exactly what I was talking about in #10. You don't necessarily need high megapixels to achieve excellent results. Those early HP's were real dogs by today's standards. They were heavy, awkward to handle and the dim LCD screen was a joke, but they did come with a quality optical censor and an honest to goodness glass lens. I wouldn't take one on a commercial shoot or anything, but a simple camera like that in the right hands can rival the best best of them. Nice pic mate!

Last edited:
Thanks again, Aussie. I have a nikon coolpix... with a good lens. Rather look at camera upgrade, I will dust off my nifty MacBook Air and play around with some photo editing features. Next trip to Newfoundland is in October !

NJ, love the cow photo. I dont recall our Canadian cows having horns .... ?!?

Thanks again, Aussie. I have a nikon coolpix... with a good lens. Rather look at camera upgrade, I will dust off my nifty MacBook Air and play around with some photo editing features. Next trip to Newfoundland is in October !
Sounds like a good plan.:)

P.S. Dairy farmers often disbud calves before the horn bud has attached to the skull. Hornless cows are a hell of a lot easier to handle!

Last edited:
A stupid question for the expert: how to get the best shots of my furred managers without traumatizing them? I'd like to have some photos of them "just in case", and I would like the photos to be recognizable enough for identification purposes.
That's easy. Just sit them in a chair one by one and tell them to smile!

J_Chan001.JPG

My Jackie will actually pose for the camera.
You then get just under 2 seconds to frame the shot and snap the photo!;)

Last edited:
I am trying to figure out how to photograph our impending complete solar eclipse (in my specific area of N. America) and trying to do so without blinding myself! Wish I had your knowledge, artistic ability and expensive equipment. I have designed quite a 'jury rig' incorporating welding lens and white boxes. We shall see.:rolleyes:
That can work. Make sure the welding lens is a #14 though. Easy way to tell if it's not marked; if you can see the horizon through it- it ain't. What type of cam are you using?

Aussie, a question on cropping... I find sometimes our eye focuses on something in the frame and not the whole frame....so what we see thru the lenses we end up dissapointed with in the picture....something which occurred a lot more in the darkroom, less so with the instant review of the LCD screens now (which eliminate the poloroid solution)

Any who, Ef's second pic, too much sky, likes to focus on paths... The path doesn't seem to be the picture here...but the expanse of ocean and sky... It seems to me cropping to leave about the top fifth of the picture sky, and eliminating most of the ocean, and maybe most of the gravel road standing on...

While using less than 20% of the photograph, would cause one to contemplate the journey, and what could that destination be over the hill...

Aussie, a question on cropping... I find sometimes our eye focuses on something in the frame and not the whole frame....so what we see thru the lenses we end up dissapointed with in the picture....something which occurred a lot more in the darkroom, less so with the instant review of the LCD screens now (which eliminate the poloroid solution)
Not sure what you're asking. Cropping is just trimming an image to either clean up the edges or to bring the intended focal point more on center. Use to be done manually while developing. Now though, it's all digital. Or are you asking about depth of field? That is, some areas of your photo being in focus while others are not. That's a common complaint with point and shoots.
Any who, Ef's second pic, too much sky, likes to focus on paths... The path doesn't seem to be the picture here...but the expanse of ocean and sky... It seems to me cropping to leave about the top fifth of the picture sky, and eliminating most of the ocean, and maybe most of the gravel road standing on...
Yeah, framing your shots correctly is critical. Cropping in post will help, as was done in #6, but there's just so much cropping can do.

Back