Can a mortal ask questions which God finds unanswerable?

Someone Once Told Me I Was Delusional... I Almost Fell Off My Unicorn. (I haven't been able to find the author, -jt3)

jt3 Re#81 - I'm uncertain but I believe that tidbit can be attributed to Madison Avenue or to some talented tee shirt printing company. (Of course the book of Job may have been some inspiration. Okay don't take me to task. Job remark is a joke ;).) ED

jt3 Re#81 - I'm uncertain but I believe that tidbit can be attributed to Madison Avenue or to some talented tee shirt printing company. (Of course the book of Job may have been some inspiration. Okay don't take me to task. Job remark is a joke ;).) ED
NPs!

Men have called me mad; but the question is not yet settled, whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence— whether much that is glorious— whether all that is profound— does not spring from disease of thought— from moods of mind exalted at the expense of the general intellect. -EDGAR ALLAN POE

I don't know what it is with the mad, but they've certainly got force of will. Maybe it's not having the checks and balances the rest of us have, or perhaps I'm kidding myself: maybe their minds are simply clearer, unclouded with the anxieties and morality that the rest of us are swaddled with. Perhaps they have the courage to point their magical thinking at the stars. -MICHAEL MARSHALL

"Can a mortal ask questions which God finds unanswerable? Quite easily, I should think. All nonsense questions are unanswerable."

-C.S. Lewis, A Grief Observed, Part 4 (1961).

Revisiting this thread.

Whoever wrote The Creation Hymn of Rig Veda suggests that even God may not know where this creation comes from, as is written in the last paragraph:

The Creation Hymn of Rig Veda

There was neither non-existence nor existence then.
There was neither the realm of space nor the sky which is beyond.
What stirred?
Where?
In whose protection?
Was there water, bottlemlessly deep?

There was neither death nor immortality then.
There was no distinguishing sign of night nor of day.
That One breathed, windless, by its own impulse.
Other than that there was nothing beyond.

Darkness was hidden by darkness in the beginning,
with no distinguishing sign, all this was water.
The life force that was covered with emptiness,
that One arose through the power of heat.

Desire came upon that One in the beginning,
that was the first seed of mind.
Poets seeking in their heart with wisdom
found the bond of existence and non-existence.

Their cord was extended across.
Was there below?
Was there above?
There were seed-placers, there were powers.
There was impulse beneath, there was giving forth above.

Who really knows?
Who will here proclaim it?
Whence was it produced?
Whence is this creation?
The gods came afterwards, with the creation of this universe.
Who then knows whence it has arisen?

Whence this creation has arisen
- perhaps it formed itself, or perhaps it did not -
the One who looks down on it,
in the highest heaven, only He knows
or perhaps He does not know.

The Poetry of Creation - Rig Veda Book 10 Hymn 129

"Death is the one event over which I have absolutely no control, but which I can be guaranteed to fulfil with 100% success." I made that one up to make you happy, Samana Johann. I don't really think you will be, but I think there's a strong possibility you'll let me know.

Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be! -MIGUEL DE CERVANTES
I find myself thinking today that Cervantes has it backwards (perhaps intentionally?). People are so caught up seeing the world as they want it to be, they tend to look past what is right in front of their eyes.

But if the world looked like you wanted it to be, would it not the alternative be madness?

Oh I agree, perhaps the perceptive changes between the first sentence and the second sentence?

You've had me puzzling over your choice of words. Not sure if it is inadvertent, or a deliberate play on words.

Perhaps the perspective changes between the first sentence and the second sentence, to that I would admit. But then it has become second nature to me to quickly examine as many different perspectives as I can, or bottle, or carton, or baggie, or hefty.

“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan

“People reject what they do not understand because it makes them feel small. They would rather believe in some other reality, even if it is only an illusion, so long as it makes them feel bigger.” -Suzy Kassem

Back