''TIME'' - definitions.

OK. Time started at Big Bang but the event horizon is at inflation. Big bang to Inflation is an uncharted period of time..

"With an incomplete theory of quantum gravity, it is impossible to be certain what spacetime would look like at small scales. However, there is no reason that spacetime needs to be fundamentally smooth.."

Good post !
Yes, why should we assume that the attributes of space-time are linear?
Our observations over a relatively small interval, say 1000 years, might appear as it is, but as scientists know very well, we make approximations to construct models.
We HAVE to make assumptions even in the basic definitions of time and space themselves, in order to construct these models.
We shouldn't accept this as "proof" that the models are accurate over billions of years.

..so yes .. what the various phases of the big-bang actually MEANS is dependent on our assumed definitions. :)

.. what the various phases of the big-bang actually MEANS is dependent on our assumed definitions. :)
And on experimental observations that fulfil theoretical predictions.

Apart from that, nothing is regarded as certain. All they can say is that the evidence points in a certain direction. And the evidence is checked and cross-checked all the time. There's always someone trying to find a flaw.

Have you had a chance to watch the second video yet?
Yes, why should we assume that the attributes of space-time are linear?
I like the idea that we need to bracket things to analyse them.

An example is music. In western music 'middle c' is bracketed and from there a scale of seven whole and six half notes moves outward in a pattern which is unique and forms the basis of our concepts about what music is.

But of course other people have their own brackets and scales and musical forms: Indian music, aboriginal music, etc.

So it's the original 'bracketing' that dictates the analysis. Dark matter and inflation are results of this bracketing. But it may be possible to move the brackets and that will change the whole way of analysing the universe.

A lot of this sort of stuff may be more about our standard model mathematical perception of the universe, than about what the universe really is?

Last edited:
Does time exist when there is no life?
If you understand the arrow of time to be determined by entropy, then yes. The fusion reactions in stars, and other, non-biological processes would still give time a direction to flow to.

Reactions: RJM
But if I believe that when I die the lights go out for me, then yes. Time ends, the universe ends, for me, because without me to perceive it, there's nothing ... nothing left at all ...

Last edited:
Does time exist when there is no life?
Yes, We date the different lavas (besaltic and granitic) in various eras.
But if I believe that when I die the lights go out for me, then yes. Time ends, the universe ends, for me, because without me to perceive it, there's nothing ... nothing left at all ...
It ends for us as persons, but the play of the atoms (or waves) that constitute us continues unabated.

:) 'I' would not be there to know. 'I' would go back to what 'I' always was - Brahman, eternal, omnipresent, un-involved, changeless*. Appearances would dissolve. The 'advaita' philosophy is very simple, RJM; there cannot be anything simpler than that.

What if time was not time as we understand it to be? What if time had another component other than past, present and future? Is there a parallel existence other than life as we understand it to be?

I say yes, hallucinations are a form alternate reality, Spiritual awakening and Enlightenment changes world/life perception/perspectives

When I was born, I inherited a long lineage of DNA traits from various ancestral sources. If indeed I am product of many lives before my birth forward. Is my life a remnant of my ancestors?

If life was parallel, does my existence coincide with other me's past, present, future?

What is alternate reality? Are hallucinations a form of an alternate reality? Why/why not? If people's majority experienced hallucinations regularly, hallucinations would be the norm therefore not an alternate reality.

Epileptic seizure, alternate reality?

Why does time seem to stand still, or move very fast? Perception or something. else?

As per Hindu view, all things can happen in this illusory world. There are many stories in which people are transported in various time and genders and come back to their present much wiser and chasticized. Yes, in these stories there are illusions of a very long time where as the actual time for the dream/illusion is very small. We have these stories to emphasize the fleetingness of the observed world. Yeah, we are the link between our ancestors and future generations.

Reactions: wil
To lighten the mood a little. This comic is just so perfect in every way and regarding tbe present discussion in particular:

mbmbam.png

Unleavened dimensions FTW! It's as if Randall Munroe, the creator of this comic (http://xkcd.com) were lurking here from time to time.

Back