Islam, Am I right?

Vajradhara said:
Namaste Postmaster,

thank you for the post.

[/color]

what is your source for this view?

i don't even know what you are saying here. the Jewish people are from Judea, Palestine was created by the Romans. naturally, the Babyalonian Captivity had nothing to do with Europe.

i think that i should point out that Judiasm isn't an ethnicity, it's a religion.

so... if anyone is a proporous business person they practice the Jewish religion? that's an odd position to take.

crikey.

what makes you think they "deserve" something? it sounds like you think that they are entitled to this land because there was a tribe there before. if that is so, what is your position on all the other native peoples that have been displaced when they were conquered?

the land was their's until the Romans took it and renamed it and destroyed the Temple and all of that sort of thing.

however, your allegation of "the dominating Jew with his pockets full" smacks of anti-Semitism and bigotry, which we don't condone on this forum.

The Romans created one united Palestine but the dominant tribe in the area was the philistines (Palestines), truth is they are all of Arab race. If you ask me, no one deserves anything its gods land. However for the sake of the times we live in, Jews do not deserve all they took. Second, until you have seen Anti-Semitism please do not try to judge me. Anyone part of a religion is part of a union with everyone else in that religion, it’s possible to generalize to some extent. If no one could generalize in this world, I would be walking into female toilets, but I'm male. Religion and politics go a hand in hand ;) The Israelites were from Judea.

Namaste postmaster,

thank you for the post.

Postmaster said:
The Romans created one united Palestine but the dominant tribe in the area was the philistines (Palestines), truth is they are all of Arab race.

did you know that modern anthropology has determined that there are no distinct boundaries between so-called "races"? as such, they don't use that term, they use the term "ethinicity."

If you ask me, no one deserves anything its gods land.

heh. sounds like someone is still dserving then, in your view. what does G!D need with a tiny bit of dirt on a tiny bit of planet for?

However for the sake of the times we live in, Jews do not deserve all they took.

i suppose you are going to relate the Great Jewish Invasion of Palestine at this point? from when did they launch their invasion?

are you positive that the U.N. didn't have anything to do with it?

Second, until you have seen Anti-Semitism please do not try to judge me.

perhaps, you should read my post once more for i did not judge you nor accuse you of being an anti-Semite. what i said, is that your posts "smacks" of it.. i.e. it appears in a certain way that it could be seen as anti-Semetic. nevertheless, i have observed this phenomena for myself.

Anyone part of a religion is part of a union with everyone else in that religion, it’s possible to generalize to some extent. If no one could generalize in this world, I would be walking into female toilets, but I'm male. Religion and politics go a hand in hand ;) The Israelites were from Judea.[/color]
Religion makes politics look noble and politics makes religion look petty.

i'm not sure what you mean by generalizations and walking into lavatories for a different gender :confused:

did you know that modern anthropology has determined that there are no distinct boundaries between so-called "races"? as such, they don't use that term, they use the term "ethinicity."

Well, anthropologists can call it all they want, I call it races can I see the difference, no! I didn't need an anthropologist to tell me, were all human but we are still animals.

heh. sounds like someone is still dserving then, in your view. what does G!D need with a tiny bit of dirt on a tiny bit of planet for?

My view of God and your view of God might be different and judging by your post it probably is.

i suppose you are going to relate the Great Jewish Invasion of Palestine at this point? from when did they launch their invasion?

are you positive that the U.N. didn't have anything to do with it?

Do you assume that’s what I think? No invasion, just that the UN is suppose to be professional peace keepers but I could create better peace then the UN because I know that you simply can't put any different “ethnic” groups anywhere without causing a stir. What was wrong with Europe? Don't you think there is a conspiracy? Oh yeah and it just happens to be the holy land of the Jewish religion...... and Islamic! Nice one UN, bet you couldn't see it coming. Great Britain can't even stop from fighting with each other let a lone Jews and Muslims. Scots will personally tell you this one.

i'm not sure what you mean by generalizations and walking into lavatories for a different gender
Does matter if you’re not sure, basically what I'm trying to say is, you can't live your life without discriminating. God also gave us boundaries, boundaries of the mind and body.

thipps said:
If what the historian De Lacy O’Leary has said is an 'opinion', then what all you have said is, at best, an 'opinion' as well.
oh, yes, absolutely. i agree. i just don't find this o'leary chap (or thomas carlyle, either) very convincing. what i was objecting to was the implication that he is, unarguably, right. it's clearly arguable and i have argued with it.

I dont know if you have read 'Friend's post at:
http://www.comparative-religion.com...read.php?t=1834
Its "Friend"'s 3rd post in that thread. Please read the 13 points there. I dont want to bore everyone here with more quotes from more historians to add to those 13, i believe they are more than enough.
thank you - they are an excellent place to start:

1. Islam means peace.
OK - just because a word means something, it doesn't mean that what is done in the name of the word is what the word meant - after all, we would both be quick enough to point out that sometimes undemocratic things are done in the name of "democracy".

It also means submitting one’s will to Allah (swt).
submitting our will to that of G!D (which is a fundamental precept of judaism and christianity as well) requires that we know what that will is and can translate it into action.

Thus Islam is a religion of peace, which is acquired by submitting one’s will to the will of the Supreme Creator, Allah (swt).
the more obvious realistic (as opposed to this theoretical) conclusion for me is that human interpretation will always be required and, as we have seen, it is possible to [mis]interpret or indeed subvert G!D's will by forcing it agree with our will. therefore, this first point fails to provide protection from religiously inspired violence done in the name of [eventual] peace.

2. Sometimes force has to be used to maintain peace....It is precisely for this reason that we have the police....Islam promotes peace.
OK, the first two parts of this i agree with completely; society must be able to enforce its norms. however, the third part assumes that there is only one form of "peace" and it is this that both islam and the police promote - and we both know it's not that simple, i hope.

At the same time, Islam exhorts it followers to fight where there is oppression. The fight against oppression may, at times, require the use of force. In Islam force can only be used to promote peace and justice.
OK - but this also requires somebody (a human again) to interpret the meaning of what constitutes "oppression" and somebody (another human) to do the exhorting on behalf of islam. likewise, the objectives of "peace and justice" are theoretical headings which are too vague to work without (ooh, more human) interpretation. for example, if you kill all people that disagree with you, you get a type of peace. similarly, sharia law as applied in saudi, or under the taleban is of course a form of justice, as is halachic (jewish religious) law, but both can and have be argued against as unjust in some of their applications - indeed, the nature of secular "justice" is just as hotly disputed.

The Muslims in Spain never used the sword to force the people to convert.
actually, sometimes they did. there's plenty of documentary evidence of jews having to convert on pain of death, although it was generally under the almohads and almoravids. the point is that it's not entirely 800 years of peace and harmony.

Later the Christian Crusaders came to Spain and wiped out the Muslims. There was not a single Muslim in Spain who could openly give the adhan, that is the call for prayers.
OK, but the crusaders being horrid isn't really an argument for why islam is absolutely about peace, as opposed to being merely "nicer than the crusaders". that's not something which works in a modern context.

Overall, the Muslims ruled Arabia for 1400 years. Yet today, there are 14 million Arabs who are Coptic Christians i.e. Christians since generations. If the Muslims had used the sword there would not have been a single Arab who would have remained a Christian.
certainly in egypt, syria and iraq copts are generally a tolerated minority. the copts i have met (mostly egyptian) seem to have been discriminated against, treated as agents of the west and are apparently kept on as a whipping-boy by the ruling (neo-baathists) when they need a scapegoat for the jihadis to vent their fury on rather than the rulers themselves.

here, i think, a comparison is useful. we all know that jews have remained jews in europe for 2000 despite the most disgusting discrimination and persecution - there wasn't even the pretence of tolerance, or indeed anything *but* the sword. yet they maintained their judaism, sometimes even in secret. obviously their survival is not evidence of christian tolerance, but of jewish faith and stubbornness. the same could be said of the copts. again, this isn't exactly an unarguable case for islamic utopia - even saddam kept his 30 pet jews alive for propaganda purposes.

6. More than 80% non-Muslims in India. The Muslims ruled India for about a thousand years. If they wanted, they had the power of converting each and every non-Muslim of India to Islam. Today more than 80% of the population of India are non-Muslims. All these non-Muslim Indians are bearing witness today that Islam was not spread by the sword.
oh, come *on*. you are ignoring a rather important one of the mughals. whilst babur, akbar, jehangir and shah jehan were all very tolerant and allowed freedom of worship, the emperor aurangzeb was an entirely different sort of man - and his extremism led to the downfall of his empire. so, again, not exactly conclusive.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/islam/history/mughal/index.shtml

7. Indonesia is a country that has the maximum number of Muslims in the world. The majority of people in Malaysia are Muslims. May one ask, "Which Muslim army went to Indonesia and Malaysia?"
one may ask. and i don't know the answer to this. do you? however, your presumption that there was absolutely no intolerance or coercion i think is just as unwarranted as a presumption that islam was spread *only* by the sword. i am saying that the sword was an *element*, but i don't know how much, only that it can't have been non-existent as a consideration.

8. East Coast of Africa. Similarly, Islam has spread rapidly on the East Coast of Africa. One may again ask, if Islam was spread by the sword, "Which Muslim army went to the East Coast of Africa?"
one might even point at the government of sudan, which has spent 20 years trying to spread islam by the sword - and the AK47. the east coast of africa development of islam is, i would say, largely on the back of trade - unfortunately, it is also quite a lot about the slave trade (as indeed are many of the western empires, so i'm not singling islam out for condemnation) and this, arguable, is neither peaceful nor tolerant, especially given that slaves would usually have been forcibly converted to islam, just as american slaves were usually forcibly converted to christianity. the sultans of oman and zanzibar didn't get rich by trading coconuts for beads.

With which sword was Islam spread? Even if Muslims had it they could not use it to spread Islam because the Qur’an says in the following verse: "Let there be no compulsion in religion: Truth stands out clear from error" [Al-Qur’an 2:256]
i'm familiar with this surah and have myself in the past used it many times to argue *in favour* of islam against those who would attack it. nonetheless, the same post-hoc rationalisation is possible by people saying they aren't really "compelling" as such, just pointing out errors in truth. even if it's not even possible to misinterpret this verse, it's certainly possible to argue that it is less important or superseded by subsequent considerations in the Qur'an and hadith - and i believe this is often the position of the salafis and wahhabis. of course, from my point of view this makes them wrong, but that's them being wrong, not the Qur'an - the Qur'an i don't have a problem with, but with some of those who interpret it.

11. Sword of the Intellect. It is the sword of intellect. The sword that conquers the hearts and minds of people. The Qur’an says in Surah Nahl, chapter 16 verse 125: "Invite (all) to the way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching; and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious." [Al-Qur’an 16:125]
oh, i *love* this!!! that's really a great phrase. what a fantastic place to start interfaith dialogue from - it is similar to that in our tradition described as an "argument for the sake of heaven". unfortunately, there are many muslims who clearly do not observe the teachings of the Qur'an in this respect - and, again, like i said before, my problem is with these people, not islam or the Qur'an. it never has been.

At the top was Islam, which increased by 235%, and Christianity had increased only by 47%. May one ask, which war took place in this century which converted millions of people to Islam?
firstly, i wasn't talking about this century - i was talking about the entire history of islam, which includes the conquest of spain - in fact, i believe the battle of roncesvalles, between the frankish emperor charlemagne and a muslim army, took place in france, in 778, nearly 300 years before the first crusade. are you seriously suggesting this army was carrying flowers and making a peaceful "invitation to islam"? but even if you ignore that (and, say, things like the ottoman siege of vienna, for example) the recent increase in islam - rather like the increase in christianity has not been achieved by *exclusively peaceful* means - that's my point.

about the last point also, one needn't be so literal as to interpret a "sword" as a "war" - coercion and oppression don't require a war to operate. the AK47 has been a major factor, as, increasingly, are explosives, missiles and the like. even in france and the UK peer pressure, bullying and intimidation are rife. you should see the way some groups behave on UK university campuses - then tell me it's all love and peace. of course, i'm not saying such a successful spread was down to coercion - i don't believe that. in the USA particuarly i believe that islam is spreading by the "sword of intellect", appealing to the disenfranchised and disenchanted - but also benefiting greatly from freedom of speech, freedom of worship and all the things that are denied in non-democratic parts of the world.

in conclusion, i should say personally that i do believe islam has much to offer the seeker after G!D and i believe it is particularly important to have good relationships between jews and muslims. all i'm saying is drop the rose-tinted spectacles - they'll only embarrass you in the long run if you find yourself defending something which is based - "feelgood" messages that fail to reflect reality or ask too much in terms of stretching credibility will suffer a disadvantage in the "greater jihad".

postmaster said:
the dominating Jew with his pockets full of money is getting his way
well, if vajradhara won't say it, i will. this is an antisemitic remark which i have reported to the board moderators. if this is your view, postmaster, you are an antisemite and a bigot and i have nothing more to say to you.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Salaam Postmaster,

thank you for the post.
Postmaster said:
Well, anthropologists can call it all they want, I call it races can I see the difference, no! I didn't need an anthropologist to tell me, were all human but we are still animals.

i know... stupid professionals changing lables and all of that sort of thing :)

it does make it more difficult to maintain racially based views if there are, in fact, no races.

My view of God and your view of God might be different and judging by your post it probably is.

undoubtedly :)

Do you assume that’s what I think?

nope, i inferred it from your posts.

you said this:

However for the sake of the times we live in, Jews do not deserve all they took.

the inference here is clear.

No invasion, just that the UN is suppose to be professional peace keepers

really? is that what the U.N. is for?

but I could create better peace then the UN because I know that you simply can't put any different “ethnic” groups anywhere without causing a stir.

i see. perhaps, you should ask your government to make you their ambassador to the U.N. so you can get things right. i, for one, would be happy for a better peace.

What was wrong with Europe? Don't you think there is a conspiracy?

well... there are problems with every government and seeing as Europe doesn't have just one, i'm not really sure what you are asking. conspiracy? to do what?

Oh yeah and it just happens to be the holy land of the Jewish religion...... and Islamic!

and Christians too. perhaps, if the Christians and Muslims didn't build their holy buildings on top of Jewish holy buildings this wouldn't be as big of an issue as it is today... but... they did and it is.

Nice one UN, bet you couldn't see it coming.

probably not... they aren't a whole lot different than the League of Nations.

Does matter if you’re not sure, basically what I'm trying to say is, you can't live your life without discriminating. God also gave us boundaries, boundaries of the mind and body.

and all you need to do to establish this as a truth is to provide some intersubjective evidence to substantiate your claim.

you may well believe that G!D has given you boundaries and all manner of other things, nevertheless, without intersubjective evidence this is a belief.

Vajradhara and other members on this forum. I thought I was good at twisting what people said, however some people on this forum are absolutely amazing at it. Above all things I'm not an anti-Semitist. If we do some Math’s you would clearly be able to see that people of the Jewish religion would have a higher rate of millionaires. How can I be classed as an Anti-Semitist for pointing this out? The only reason it went a little far was because I connected the fact with the artificial land domination in the Middle East by people practicing the Jewish religion. However, I love all People especially people that I haven’t met and if it has got any connection it is a minority. But without clear anti-seminitistic views how can you judge me for being an anti-Semitic bananabrain?

Salaam Postmaster,

thank you for the post.

Postmaster said:
Vajradhara and other members on this forum. I thought I was good at twisting what people said, however some people on this forum are absolutely amazing at it. Above all things I'm not an anti-Semitist.

do you understand why what you posted can be seen as an anti-semetic statement?

If we do some Math’s you would clearly be able to see that people of the Jewish religion would have a higher rate of millionaires.

great. maths has a thing called proof. please provide me with proof of your assertion.

How can I be classed as an Anti-Semitist for pointing this out?
The only reason it went a little far was because I connected the fact with the artificial land domination in the Middle East by people practicing the Jewish religion.

it appears that you've answered your own question in this regard. chat forums are tricky places to navigate as we don't have any of the normal visual and verbal clues that we would use to determine if someone is joking or being serious, for example. as such, it becomes a matter of being mindful of the words that we choose to convey our ideas.

Vajradhara, This forum is one battle ground, it’s a battle ground of the subconscious mind. We are all trying to pass off our views as the correct views. Nor you me or anyone else in this forum is correct. However truth exists and here is my view. It was the British that helped and was probably the original idealist to create the state of Israel, most Jewish people fled Nazi Germany and many into Britain at the cost of a 1000 pound visa for every person. 1000 pounds in them days was a lot of money. The truth of this world is, its dark, negative, survival of the strongest, Dog eat dog world. It has to be, otherwise Heaven wouldn't have its balance. People might create in there minds the perfect world and be happy. But that will not take away the sure misery of the world. I love all people because true love exsists too not many people know that. ;) But if I don't balance myself enough, I will lose in the game of illusion too and thats why no human is perfect. But I'm trying to give as much as I can, you always find where there is cheese there's a rat, where there's a rat there is a cat and where there's a cat theres a dog. And thats exactly how it is with the Iraq war and countless other situations.

Governments are going all out to give money to the Asian Tsunami and that’s all you have probably been hearing on the news recently. That’s what the people want, to help the people in need. And this is probably what people high in government do not want and that this is a PR campaign, they make a big deal out of charity so that peoples hearts are won by the government. We all have the ability to be evil politicians that naturally fall deep into the world of the snob and superior. The higher you get and more decision making you have, the more people look up to you, the more you will fall into this trap of superiorty. But deep down it’s what your soul craves and your fate to follow such a job.

Namaste Postmaster,

thank you for the post.

Postmaster said:
Vajradhara, This forum is one battle ground, it’s a battle ground of the subconscious mind.

this is a misconception. this particular forum is not a battleground of any sort. in point of fact, if you read the Code of Conduct, you will, doubtlessly, understand that confrontational postings, whilst having a certain value, are not the business of this forum. hence, the name "Comparative Religion".

here, we don't seek to determine who is "right" or "wrong" or whos religion is better or worse. here, we seek to connect with the common thread of humanity that is religion... to try to understand what someone from Brazil believes so that we can know them as people rather than statistics.

We are all trying to pass off our views as the correct views. Nor you me or anyone else in this forum is correct. However truth exists and here is my view.

are you certain that you have a correct cognition of the purpose of this forum?

It was the British that helped and was probably the original idealist to create the state of Israel, most Jewish people fled Nazi Germany and many into Britain at the cost of a 1000 pound visa for every person. 1000 pounds in them days was a lot of money.

and all you have to do to take this from the realm of your speculation into the realm of fact is to actually present some evidence that supports your assertions. thus far, i must say, your lack of evidence to support your assertions is not doing much to engender confidence in the views that you are espousing.

The truth of this world is, its dark, negative, survival of the strongest, Dog eat dog world.

that may be your truth, but you can rest assured that it is not my truth :)

But I'm trying to give as much as I can, you always find where there is cheese there's a rat, where there's a rat there is a cat and where there's a cat theres a dog. And thats exactly how it is with the Iraq war and countless other situations.
i have some cheese in my refrigerator.. yet... i have no rats. hmm... perhaps you should reconsider your worldview metaphor...

i have some cheese in my refrigerator.. yet... i have no rats. hmm... perhaps you should reconsider your worldview metaphor...
Why don't you check the cheese, the rat doesn't want it, it might have past its Expiration date.

Postmaster said:
Why don't you check the cheese, the rat doesn't want it, it might have past its Expiration date.
the most persistent rodent problem i have is bunny rabbits... which, i happen to enjoy quite a bit, so it's a fair trade :)

What Religion do you preach Vajradhara? I'm interested. If it is Buddism, judging by your picture, it is indeed the only religion I don't have any negative views agaisn't. Most my negative views are of my own religion ;)

Postmaster said:
What Religion do you preach Vajradhara? I'm interested. If it is Buddism, judging by your picture, it is indeed the only religion I don't have any negative views agaisn't. Most my negative views are of my own religion ;)
Namaste Postmaster,

thank you for the post.

i do practice the Buddha Dharma tradition, however, i don't preach it in the way that this term is traditionally understood. in point of fact, that is one of the things that we really aren't supposed to do.. a bit different than our Christian friends that are under the Great Commission, as it were.

Yes, the great points about Buddhism are

Unlimitedly tolerant of other religions

Less contradictive teachings

Under no circumstance war, violence and harm can not be tolerated.

Very beautiful :)

However I’m a critic and I will say, although the best religion in the world, Buddhism I feel puts people out of balance, too much towards the yin. If we all converted the world population would shrink to 0? Is that ignorant? Buddhism can clear your demands but not clear the curse of the world, or can it? Not everyone can be enlightened, fundamental law and Buddhism requires devotion unlike Christianity in which you are literally born into the religion. All that time reading scripts and meditating to enlighten yourself could be better helping the starving, homeless and the ill. However that is nothing compared to how I view every other religion :) Buddism ranks top for me because at least you learn to love and not create harm and negativity :) Please correct me, I probably do need it.

I am a Christian, but I will admit there are a lot of good teachings from Buddah on how to live and be a better person. Especially with the inner self, inner self peace, inner self healing and getting to know who we are as a person. I have found that some of these things are lacking in Christianity.

There are many pagan ideas in Christianity, that I will not submit to.

The inner self peace, is not the same thing as the spirit of God. I see two different types of peace there. One is a peace that I find with myself and the other is a peace that I find with God.

I don't know much about Islam, so I can't say.

There are bits of good and answers in all religions if we allow, at the least the opportunity to try and understand where they are coming from.

Its easy to intergrate Christianity with Buddism, Buddism doesn't really have any iconic figures you should devote to, its more a devotion of the teachings of one man, which didn't even intend (want) to a religious leader. I'm a practising Greek Orthodox but I'm interested in Buddism.

The best of Islam is phenominal, as is the best of Christianity, Buhdaism, Judeasim, and everyother major and "minor" faith on this planet. The problem is people.

The solution is also "people". Now, how do we go about fixing the people, hmm?

(including yours truly)

v/r

Q

Postmaster said:
Its easy to intergrate Christianity with Buddism, Buddism doesn't really have any iconic figures you should devote to, its more a devotion of the teachings of one man, which didn't even intend (want) to a religious leader. I'm a practising Greek Orthodox but I'm interested in Buddism.
Most definately. Sorry everyone if this is in the wrong thread.;)

Then when I watched Gangaji , I immediately saw something in her that was right from God and accepted her as a teacher. There are just some things that we never got growing up that should be taught in Christianity, but for some reason most don't see it and we never got it.
But now I do! ha ha:)

She is really neat.

http://www.gangaji.org/

G14.jpg

Quahom1 said:
The best of Islam is phenominal, as is the best of Christianity, Buhdaism, Judeasim, and everyother major and "minor" faith on this planet. The problem is people.

The solution is also "people". Now, how do we go about fixing the people, hmm?

(including yours truly)

v/r

Q
are you saying we have a PEOPLE PROBLEM? I never would have noticed. HEE HEE, WOO HOO, you can say that again. :D (Laughing hard):D

Back