What denomination or sect are you?

Are their Catholic denominations?
I suppose the most famous is the SSPX, the Society of St Paul X, founded by the French archbishop Marcel Lefebvre, an anti-modernist, rejecting elements of the Seciond Vatican Council. They retained the old form of the Latin Mass and flatly rejected the Novus Ordo (some sympathy there).

The schism deepened in 1988 when Archbishop Lefebvre consecrated four bishops against a personal warning by Pope John Paul II. As a result Rome excommunicated the consecrating bishops and those consecrated. In recent years however, SSPX has seen a softening of the position against it, and a recognition of its sacramental and pastoral activities by Rome.

+++

The Old Catholic Church is the name by which some churches in the Netherlands separated from Roman jurisdiction in 1724. Churches in Germany, Austria, Bohemia, Switzerland and the UK created the Union of the Old Catholic Diocese of Utrecht (UU) after Vatican I (1871) over the dogma of papal infallibility.

There followed further separations within the UU with at least three separate communities in America, three (I think) in the UK ... not sure about the position in Europe.

+++

Reactions: wil
Jesuit, that is a branch of cathocism.eh?
Much as RJM said, the Jesuits are a monastic order within the RC Church. They're one of the 'big four' along with the Benedictines, Franciscans and the Dominicans.

Each tend to have their own spiritual practices — a lot in common, elements unique, so you get 'Ignatian Spirituality' and the 'Ignation Exercises' of St Ignatius Loyola, founder of the Society of Jesus (Jesuits). Pope Francis is the first Jesuit Pope.

My mother went to whatever christian church that her friends went to. We were Presbyterian, then methodist, I left in 4th grade. Found New Thought, as a parent raising children.
You left in 4th grade and just didn't think about this subject until parenthood or were against it? I left the Catholic faith and was agnostic, maybe felt a little like an outcast from Christianity for a long time. That guilt in a way allowed me to look deeper into the subject.

You left in 4th grade and just didn't think about this subject until parenthood or were against it?
I read some, I searched some, I scoffed at most of the hypocrisy I saw...and yes my wife insisted my kids get a religion and at the time I was working in a healing center and a lot of clients indicated the words I use (how are you? I am.) (Lol,.true) made them think I went.to Unity....so I did, and for.the first time at 42 what I heard resonated.

What does monastic even mean? How can there be 27 Jesuit Units in the US?
Unis universities not Units. My preacher, Butch went to Loyola a Jesuit uni in Baltimore. He relates that the priest/teachers indicate the bible is mostly allegory, and the church maintains the mystery as the public is not ready for the truth...heaven and hell as allegory not literal, that it is up to us, our decisions to save ourselves from our own misguided beliefs...

Unis universities not Units.
I gathered.

My preacher, Butch went to Loyola a Jesuit uni in Baltimore.
OK

He relates that the priest/teachers indicate the bible is mostly allegory...
Well, as ever it depends on what bits of the Bible you're talking about ... as a blanket statement it's a bit irresponsible.

... and the church maintains the mystery as the public is not ready for the truth...
Hmm, sounds a bit iffy to me — what 'mystery' is he talking about, exactly?

heaven and hell as allegory not literal,
Don't let Pope Francis know ... :D ... but then if by 'literal' people mean sitting on clouds playing harps or standing up to our necks in doodoo while demons prod us with tridents, then no ... but that does not rule out eschatalogical states.

that it is up to us, our decisions to save ourselves from our own misguided beliefs...
Well yes. Repentance/metanoia/change of heart is fundamental ... but that does not mean we determine which of our beliefs are misguided and which aren't, obviously ...

I was a non-believer until 6 years ago as far as the thoughts of a god are concerned, I have always believed in an after life. When we become nothing here as in death we then become something inside of gods mind. Since everything is inside of something then through deduction we all must be inside of him. Imagine a box and written on it is the words Everything. Open that box and you find trillions of boxes all labeled with the names of the galaxies. Find the Milky Way box and open it you will then find trillions of planets, suns and celestial objects. Find the Earth box and open it you will find trillions of objects that make up our planet, inside of this box I can then find myself my time that I accumulated in my lifetime. I understand that I am inside of something but I am inside of it many times, so to understand what something is, I need to know many more things and find a lot more time.

powessy

Last edited:
My preacher ...
Not intended as a critique of your preacher, but I wonder is this a reflection of the time and place and the sociological movement in the American zeitgeist?

Interesting when I was having a look round that people are drawing lines of progression: New Thought – Prosperity Gospel – Trump ... it's sometimes disconcerting that the values you and I championed as young men have become 'transformed' by modernity and heading in a direction not necessarily of our favour.

I was a nonbeliever until 6 years ago as far as the thoughts of a god are concerned, I have always believed in an after life.

When we become nothing here as in death we then become something inside of gods mind. Since everything is inside of something then through deduction we all must be inside of him.

Imagine a box and written on it is the words Everything. Open that box and you find trillions of boxes all labeled with the names of the galaxies.

Find the Milky Way box and open it you will then find trillions of planets, suns and celestial objects. Find the Earth box and open it you will find trillions of objects that make up our planet, inside of this box I can then find myself my time that I accumulated in my lifetime.

I understand that I am inside of something but I am inside of it many times, so to understand what something is, I need to know many more things and find a lot more time.

powessy
Brilliant!
(Sorry I've added paragraph breaks to make it more readable @powessy because the wall of text can be offputting)

Last edited:
I was a non-believer until 6 years ago as far as the thoughts of a god are concerned, I have always believed in an after life. When we become nothing here as in death we then become something inside of gods mind. Since everything is inside of something then through deduction we all must be inside of him. Imagine a box and written on it is the words Everything. Open that box and you find trillions of boxes all labeled with the names of the galaxies. Find the Milky Way box and open it you will then find trillions of planets, suns and celestial objects. Find the Earth box and open it you will find trillions of objects that make up our planet, inside of this box I can then find myself my time that I accumulated in my lifetime. I understand that I am inside of something but I am inside of it many times, so to understand what something is, I need to know many more things and find a lot more time.

powessy
I like this, very similar to my own ideals. I've recently found something that speaks to this kind of thought: panentheism. You should check it out.

Not intended as a critique of your preacher, but I wonder is this a reflection of the time and place and the sociological movement in the American zeitgeist?

Interesting when I was having a look round that people are drawing lines of progression: New Thought – Prosperity Gospel – Trump ... it's sometimes disconcerting that the values you and I championed as young men have become 'transformed' by modernity and heading in a direction not necessarily of our favour.
As with most I take everything with a grain of salt. Prosperity gospel....fawgettaboutit! I use new thought to change my perspective, reduce hate and animosity, create an atmosphere that allows for a better environment. Trump, lol, is old thought, take control, lie, cheat whatever it takes for personal gain.

As with most I take everything with a grain of salt.
OK, but that does rather make you non-representative ...

Prosperity gospel....fawgettaboutit![/quote]
LOL, I never invested anything in it in the first place! But it is fundamental to the New Thought movement. Charles Fillmore validated it by lifting it into the mental sphere, but the basic principle is there, especially in his comments on tithing ...

I use new thought to change my perspective, reduce hate and animosity, create an atmosphere that allows for a better environment...
Well quite, you take what you chooses from where you chooses ... For me, old thought does that just as well, it said it all before and more succinctly, without all the pseudoscience.

But I'm not talking about you, I don't think you're illustrative of New Thought any more than any other school or ideology (other than the obvious). I'm talking about New Thought as a movement, Quimby, Eddy, Fillmore et al. It does inescapably point towards the profit principle, emphasising personal benefit rather than altruism. And the 'let's make America great again' falls right in line with New Thought idealism. It's about creating fertile ground, even if naively and unintentionally ...

... I mean, Father Divine took Charles Fillmore's philosophy to a whole other place and made the physical body an idol.

... take control, lie, cheat whatever it takes for personal gain.
Oh, sadly that'll be there long after New Thought is done and dusted ...

Back