I identify as: (belief)

I have deconverted from Gnosticism and now identify as a Stoic and Utilitarian.

Specifically, I am an averagist and welfarist. I see the greatest good as maximizing the average health of the existing population and minimizing welfare inequality. This is actually not so different from my ethical framework as a Gnostic, I just realized that I didn't need a religion to justify this ethical position and that the supernatural elements of Gnosticism were bogging me down.

My justification, loosely, comes from evolution. Evolutionary pressures naturally select species that pursue the health of their population until they are able to reproduce. Ants, for instance, work together for the collective welfare of their colony, despite most of them being infertile.

There have been those who argue for Social Darwinism from the same background, but I think they make two fundamental mistakes (as well as many others.) First, humans are social animals like wolves and lions and evolved for cooperation among their species, not competition. Second, biodiversity is a key feature of species who survive sudden catastrophes; specifically selecting for only a handful of genes based on arbitrary criteria actually weakens our species.

Speaking of specifically human attributes, I see reason as evolving as a mechanism to correct our cognitive biases and emotional reasoning. Emotions are essentially vestigial training wheels. If we can recognize our evolutionary purpose and follow it with a strict adherence to reason, then they are more or less unnecessary. Stoicism recognizes this unique property of humanity and it's recommended by many psychologists and therapists for its benefits to mental health, making it a natural extension of my form of Utilitarianism.

This isn't to say that I have any arguments for why we should follow our evolutionary instincts, just that we can use evolution to understand why we evolved a sense of moral intuition and what that moral intuition accomplishes for us. Just because I derive a sense of meaning and purpose from my inherent biology doesn't mean that I have any compelling argument for why anyone else should. I see "right" and "wrong" as descriptions of this evolutionary model, not prescriptions for how individuals should act.

Did you ever own a Discord account by the same name and use a mask as your avatar?

No, not that I remember. Not sure what a Discord account is but will try to look it up. Bad experience for you or good?

Last edited:
I identify as a nontheistic panentheist unitic.

As in I don't believe in any creator god, I see what I view as labeled G!d in many beliefs in everything and we in it. I enjoy the metaphysics of Unity and believe that G!d is principle...sort of/more than the TOE.

You can view me as agnostic as should I find out different I reserve the right to change my mind with new information.

What do you identify as?
What happens when there is disagreements and no unity. The bible says its a demon and society calls it negative impacts and problematic circumstances. I identify as Christian because i believe the logic and context and relationships and situations of the bible are relevant today and always have been.

I think a part of human nature is the need to be heard and their views validated. I look for commonalities when I'm talking to people and the end goal is to form interpersonal relationships. I have a lot of friends from many walks of life with different beliefs and when you shut down the conversation because you don't agree then you are hurting yourself and the other person. That's a tragedy!

I identify as a nontheistic panentheist unitic.

As in I don't believe in any creator god, I see what I view as labeled G!d in many beliefs in everything and we in it. I enjoy the metaphysics of Unity and believe that G!d is principle...sort of/more than the TOE.

You can view me as agnostic as should I find out different I reserve the right to change my mind with new information.

What do you identify as?

I think I am similar.
I am nontheistic, i.e. non-belief in the existence of a god or gods, specifically of a creator who intervenes in the universe:

My very first god-belief, as a 4 year old, was that god is everywhere, now, as an adult, I would say that god is a metaphor for the very substance of existence. I think that the scripture writers(of old) were trying express their awe of existence and used stories.
My own scriptural preferences are Dharmic, mainly because I found they encourage self enquiry(looking within).

I'm mysteryian. I made that term up as I believe the existence of life is a profound mystery. Nothing trivial nor ordinary about it.
Welcome to io slip us an introduction, I know the 1957 movie, and I know of a land of mysteria, would be interested in hearing your version (so far inquire agree)

I think I am similar.
I am nontheistic, i.e. non-belief in the existence of a god or gods, specifically of a creator who intervenes in the universe:

My very first god-belief, as a 4 year old, was that god is everywhere, now, as an adult, I would say that god is a metaphor for the very substance of existence. I think that the scripture writers(of old) were trying express their awe of existence and used stories.
My own scriptural preferences are Dharmic, mainly because I found they encourage self enquiry(looking within).
As close as I can get to a creator G!d is a physics principle (or series of principles) which allows the universe to form and life to form from that.

But I am here because I find glimmers and slivers of understanding and maybe even revelation, because if (as youbindicate) G!d is everything, than our thoughts are divine!

Back