Dogs

Sarge should be grateful they are not Mocking Birds...

When I was a kid we had a cat that chased birds. I watched one time, the cat was in the middle of the street, the pair of Mocking Birds took turns dive bombing her from either side of the street. She'd chase the one, and the other would fly in and poke her back, she'd turn to go after that bird and the other would turn around and fly back in and poke her...this went back and forth like that for some time until she gave up.

BTW, Sarge is a rather handsome fellow.
Lucky that they weren't hawks There used to be a mated pair of hawks near where I used to help my DB at work. If you came anywhere near their nest, you were "fair gaime"! Didn't matter your species or anything, you came out "second best"! I think they attacked my brother twice, and I describe him as a cross between a lowland gorilla and Neanderthal man!

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

A trip to Disneyland with a guide dog in (I believe) California:

Molly Burke has Retinitis Pigmentosa, which has left her blind since she was roughly fifteen. Her guide dog's name may be familiar to most of you: Elton John.

Here's a PSA featuring Elton John's predecessor, Galllup (I think that's his name...)

Molly Burke had to retire him because her safety was compromised due to outsiders' carelessness (he's been downgraded to "pet" status, owned by Molly's parents.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

If you visit Cristchurch in England and you're not allergic to dogs, here's a place that might interest you:

Yes, Sherpa's the featured doggo aris.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Sarge and Daisy May being sweet.

IMG_20230616_175509609_HDR.jpg

A two-part puppy rescue in Serbia (there're stray dogs/puppies and a "pet" :kitty: in the video, too.)

Will post Part 2 when it's up.
Part 2 is up!

I agree with what Dean said about the town's mayor (the mayor "said" that he was embarrassed about the stray problem, and Dean basically said that if the mayor was that embarrassed, he needs to 'put up or shut up' even after Dean and Nala are gone!)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Another doggo at the groomer, this time the bitch (a real female dog) is a bloodhound:
What a doggo!

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

A dear friend rescued retired racing Greyhounds. I've seen a few faces like that.

Moses, her dog, was twelve or thirteen I think when I met him, and he lived a couple more years. My friend was vegan, I don't know the recipe but the dogs (not small dogs) got like a pumpkin puree and I don't know what else she mixed in, but they were all healthy. Isaac was another of her dogs, and I'm not bringing to mind the third Greyhound or the blind Whippet she took in, but the names were all Yiddish / Jewish.

Hamish I think was the Whippet.

Last edited:
A dear friend rescued retired racing Greyhounds. I've seen a few faces like that.

Moses, her dog, was twelve or thirteen I think when I met him, and he lived a couple more years. My friend was vegan, I don't know the recipe but the dogs (not small dogs) got like a pumpkin puree and I don't know what else she mixed in, but they were all healthy. Isaac was another of her dogs, and I'm not bringing to mind the third Greyhound or the blind Whippet she took in, but the names were all Yiddish / Jewish.

Hamish I think was the Whippet.
The dog that I posted is/was a Borzoi, a breed that originated in Russia. To paraphrase the OP, training a Borzoi not to chase something moving is like trying to train Scooby Doo to reject Scooby Snacks or train Snoopy (the cartoon character) not to grab Linus's blanket.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

I had not heard of Borzoi, or if so it was many years ago. The Greys were very short haired, so I knew the coats were not the same, but the faces are very similar, long and thin.

I had not heard of Borzoi, or if so it was many years ago. The Greys were very short haired, so I knew the coats were not the same, but the faces are very similar, long and thin.
The Borzoi breed originated from a crossbreeding of a greyhound and a Russian longhaired breed. It was so long ago that it's an entirely separate breed, recognized by the AKC and other legitimate dog breeder clubs.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

The dog that I posted is/was a Borzoi, a breed that originated in Russia.
I had not heard of Borzoi, or if so it was many years ago. The Greys were very short haired, so I knew the coats were not the same, but the faces are very similar, long and thin
The Borzoi breed originated from a crossbreeding of a greyhound and a Russian longhaired breed. It was so long ago that it's an etirely separate breed, recognized by the AKC and other legitimate dog breeder clubs.
Yep.🐶
There are several breeds in the Greyhound or Sight-hound family of breeds
Greyhounds, whippets, borzois (who have been called Russian Wolfhounds), Scottish deerhounds, Irish Wolfhounds, salukis, and a few other breeds are of this same sighthound family and have the long muzzles, long legs, the "tuck up" in the waistline and curved spine, they just have that look and are all genetically related.
A "lurcher" is a word they use for a mixed breed sighthound.
Source of knowledge: Books and TV, and many visits so live dog shows.
I don't have a dog, and as much as admire the sighthounds, I do not have the space for them by a long shot.
Also I am more a cat than dog person, and I would not want any dog that is likely to be a danger to a housecat.
Cats are my babies... 🐱🐈🐈‍⬛
But boy did I used to read up on dog breeds when I was a kid🐕🐩🦮🐕‍🦺

🐱🐶

Back