Persecuted Religions

“deceived” now there is a great word that no one seem to like.
It's a useful word. The greatness of it or the liking of it is pretty subjective.
Where people run into problems is how the word is used. If, every time someone doesn't have the same take on things that you do (I mean you in the general sense, inclusive of you but not just you) but if every time someone has a different "take" on things you use the word "deceived" as a cudgel, you run into problems. Example
Person 1: (To a group) Are you Christian?
Person 2: Yes, I attend a Lutheran Church
Person 3: Yes, I attend a Seventh Day Adventist Church
Person 4; Yes, I am Catholic
Person 5: I am a Latter Day Saint
Person 1: WHAT ARE YOU THINKING! YOU ARE ALL BEING DECEIVED!!

Persons 2-5 exchanges glances and all slowly back away.
Person 1: WHY DOES NOBODY LIKE THE WORD DECEIVED?? IT'S A GREAT WORD BUT NOBODY SEEMS TO LIKE IT!

Do you realize that Jesus preached to the uneducated people of the land?
Do you realize I was responding to your sentence about "It's sentences made of words" (referring, I thought, to the bible)
I guess I should have taken that as snarky but I just read it at a surface level.
Because we had been talking about your statement "the bible isn't that complicated" I thought that's what you were referring to.
I thought you meant to imply that "sentences made of words" was indicative of non complexity.
I utilized the examples I did to illustrate that sentences made of words can, at least sometimes, result in material that is complex.
So sorry if that was less than clear.😎

Interestingly, the bible is often regarded as deep, complex, inscrutable, and way less than simple or clear. 🤓
Maybe people think that wrong? Is that what you mean?🤔
Maybe the people who think that are all mistaken and deceived and don't see things as clearly as you do.🤔

o_O

Reactions: RJM
Person 1: WHAT ARE YOU THINKING! YOU ARE ALL BEING DECEIVED!!
29 Jesus answered them, “You are deceived, because you don’t know the Scriptures or the power of God.

The Holy Bible: Holman Christian Standard Version. (Nashville: Holman Bible Publishers, 2009), Mt 22:29.

These were learned Religious leaders that Jesus was speaking to. Some translations use "mistaken" instead of "deceived". And sorry the LDS is a cult and not a Christian sect. Everyone is deceived to some extent, no matter what Religious organization they belong to. Even people who have on Religious belief.

29 Jesus answered them, “You are deceived, because you don’t know the Scriptures or the power of God.

The Holy Bible: Holman Christian Standard Version. (Nashville: Holman Bible Publishers, 2009), Mt 22:29.

These were learned Religious leaders that Jesus was speaking to. Some translations use "mistaken" instead of "deceived". And sorry the LDS is a cult and not a Christian sect. Everyone is deceived to some extent, no matter what Religious organization they belong to. Even people who have on Religious belief.
They are a different Abrahamic faith.
If asked if they were Christian they would likely identify as such.
Do you believe I made an error and you are being helpfully corrective? I'm trying to understand your responses.

Interestingly, the bible is often regarded as deep, complex, inscrutable, and way less than simple or clear.
I think that many people see it that way. The Bible is so unique in that the text is there and clear but look at what God says about people.

Deut 29:4 “Yet to this day the LORD has not given you a heart to know, nor eyes to see, nor ears to hear.

Isaiah 6:10 (NASB95) 10 “Render the hearts of this people insensitive, Their ears dull, And their eyes dim,
Otherwise they might see with their eyes, Hear with their ears, Understand with their hearts, And return and be healed.”

Jeremiah 5:21 (NASB95) 21 ‘Now hear this, O foolish and senseless people, Who have eyes but do not see; Who have ears but do not hear.

Matthew 13:15 (NASB95) 15 FOR THE HEART OF THIS PEOPLE HAS BECOME DULL, WITH THEIR EARS THEY SCARCELY HEAR, AND THEY HAVE CLOSED THEIR EYES, OTHERWISE THEY WOULD SEE WITH THEIR EYES, HEAR WITH THEIR EARS, AND UNDERSTAND WITH THEIR HEART AND RETURN, AND I WOULD HEAL THEM.’

Does God confuse the mind of the unbeliever?

Hebrews 6:4 For in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 and then have fallen away, it is impossible to renew them again to repentance, since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame.

Matthew 13:10 And the disciples came and said to Him, “Why do You speak to them in parables?”11 Jesus answered them, “To you it has been granted to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been granted. 12 “For whoever has, to him more shall be given, and he will have an abundance; but whoever does not have, even what he has shall be taken away from him. 13 “Therefore I speak to them in parables; because while seeing they do not see, and while hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand.

New American Standard Bible: 1995 Update (La Habra, CA: The Lockman Foundation, 1995),

I know this will fly over the heads of most of you.

Do you believe I made an error and you are being helpfully corrective? I'm trying to understand your responses
yes they were Sadducees, and not Pharisees, but they were both Jew with the same texts. Did they believe differently about some things, yes. But they were both legalistic. They certainly did not believe that Faith saved them. Jesus spends all of His time trying to explain this to them and open their eyes.

"These differences were trivial compared to the differences between the two sects regarding the resurrection of the dead and an afterlife."

Do you believe I made an error and you are being helpfully corrective? I'm trying to understand your responses.
Maybe I got lost in the thread, were you talking about your example of the 4 different groups of people. Then yes, I would agree that they would all claim to be followers of Christianity. Sorry

yes they were Sadducees, and not Pharisees, but they were both Jew with the same texts. Did they believe differently about some things, yes. But they were both legalistic. They certainly did not believe that Faith saved them. Jesus spends all of His time trying to explain this to them and open their eyes.

"These differences were trivial compared to the differences between the two sects regarding the resurrection of the dead and an afterlife."

What I meant was, the Mormons are a separate Abrahamic faith. They identify as Christian, but are really another faith.
The Bahai are separate from Islam, and they identify as such.

What I meant was, the Mormons are a separate Abrahamic faith. They identify as Christian, but are really another faith.
The Bahai are separate from Islam, and they identify as such.
No, the Mormons are just Mormons what follow Joseph Smith. They don't believe the Bible, at least about Jesus being God in the Flesh.

No, the Mormons are just Mormons what follow Joseph Smith. They don't believe the Bible, at least about Jesus being God in the Flesh.
They utilize the Bible, with significantly different interpretations. I believe their version of trinitarian teaching has all 3 persons as more separate and all as having physical bodies. But I'd have to search for the reference on that.

And they do have the additional material they see as holy scripture.

I think of them as being a distinct Abrahamic faith.

I think of them as being a distinct Abrahamic faith.
That's your right. And I would somewhat agree with you, Here's my problem, once anyone decides that something in the Bible is a lie, they become hypocrites to even say they believe any of it. Did God get something wrong?

No .. but we often do.
This was the reply to "Did God get something wrong".. And your replied "no". Here is my problem with your answer, Muslims claim that the Bible is wrong, so how is that possible if God does not get something wrong?

Back