If we could live like this.. how much better could the world be.

I'd do it. Plumbing is nice, but the ability to live in a more natural way would be nicer. (Despite the name 'George', I am a woman.)

I think where I'd struggle would be solitude. I'm not a loner. No toilet? Whatever. No people... meh. I'd need an off grid community to make it work for me.

(I'll come back and watch the video later. House too noisy right now.)
I would miss the plumbing, but appreciate the solitude.

Ah yes, John Broadus Watson and Behaviorism...the foundation of modern advertising psych. I did a thesis on him and his work, fascinating individual that somehow flies mostly under the radar.

Sadly, psychology as a science is a pale shadow of itself from the days of Freud, Jung, Watson and James. I jokingly asked one of our psych docs awhile back if she was Freudian or Jungian, she laughed and told me she doesn't have time for that. The way things are set up now, patients spill their guts and the doc writes a 'script' for some meds and sends them on their way.
Jung and Freud are not often used as basis for training in therapy, although there are still some who follow the psychoanalytic model. Others like Aaron Beck are considered more relevant.

Psychology as a science addresses different things depending on what type they are. There are several research areas of psychology that engage in research on human behavior but never study clinical matters or see any clients ever. The clinical side of psychology and its line of scientific reasearch looks at mental illness and the efficacy of various treatment modalities.

The patient you just described who "spilled their guts" to a prescriber didn't understand the model. It sounds like the patient in question expected therapy but were at the office of a prescriber (MD, NP, or PA). If they didn't want medication, the prescriber was not the right professional to go to. The person who writes the scripts is not the same professional that provides therapy. Different training entirely. The exception being there are some psychiatrists who do some therapy. But they rarely have full hour sessions and generally do provide prescriptions. A lot of people who write scripts nowadays are NPs or PAs and I don't know how much training they get in therapeutic techniques.

I've had I don't know how many clients ask me to write them a prescription, and are disbelieving or suspicious when I say I do not and cannot.
Or how many clients I've had who complained that "my last therapist was just pushing pills, pushing pills" If the last "therapist" was actually writing scripts, they weren't a therapist, they were a prescriber. (MD, NP, PA)

Therapists are either psychologists (PhDs or the equivalent) or social workers or licensed professional counselors/licensed mental health counselors [me] master's level clinicians. We do not have the training or licensure authority to prescribe medication.

Having said all that, I recognize that all this seems very convoluted to most clients. The system is not streamlined or straightforward at all. The clients don't find these things out ahead of time because they don't know what to ask or whom to ask, and those who refer them don't tell them. :(

Jung and Freud are not often used as basis for training in therapy, although there are still some who follow the psychoanalytic model. Others like Aaron Beck are considered more relevant.

Psychology as a science addresses different things depending on what type they are. There are several research areas of psychology that engage in research on human behavior but never study clinical matters or see any clients ever. The clinical side of psychology and its line of scientific reasearch looks at mental illness and the efficacy of various treatment modalities.

The patient you just described who "spilled their guts" to a prescriber didn't understand the model. It sounds like the patient in question expected therapy but were at the office of a prescriber (MD, NP, or PA). If they didn't want medication, the prescriber was not the right professional to go to. The person who writes the scripts is not the same professional that provides therapy. Different training entirely. The exception being there are some psychiatrists who do some therapy. But they rarely have full hour sessions and generally do provide prescriptions. A lot of people who write scripts nowadays are NPs or PAs and I don't know how much training they get in therapeutic techniques.

I've had I don't know how many clients ask me to write them a prescription, and are disbelieving or suspicious when I say I do not and cannot.
Or how many clients I've had who complained that "my last therapist was just pushing pills, pushing pills" If the last "therapist" was actually writing scripts, they weren't a therapist, they were a prescriber. (MD, NP, PA)

Therapists are either psychologists (PhDs or the equivalent) or social workers or licensed professional counselors/licensed mental health counselors [me] master's level clinicians. We do not have the training or licensure authority to prescribe medication.

Having said all that, I recognize that all this seems very convoluted to most clients. The system is not streamlined or straightforward at all. The clients don't find these things out ahead of time because they don't know what to ask or whom to ask, and those who refer them don't tell them. :(
Yep...that sounds about right.

Abnormal psych is fun sometimes from a scholarship perspective (and everyone else in class was off doing this problem or that effect), I'm more interested in "normal" psych, what makes the average person tick.

John B Watson was right there with Ivan Pavlov and B F (Burris Frederick if anyone is keeping score) Skinner. Seems advertising psych shares more in common with salivating dogs and keyboard playing chickens...

Last edited:
We're opposites! :D
I think you're both pulling my leg...from experience.

And whatever you do, don't wipe with poison ivy.

Factoid time!

What did folks in rural America use to wipe with prior to the invention of toilet paper?

Last edited:

And whatever you do, don't wipe with poison ivy.

Factoid time!

What did folks in rural America use to wipe with prior to the invention of toilet paper?

I went a summer without a bathroom. My biggest complaint was the stairs and lack of water. My bedroom was upstairs, so I had to go down the stairs to get outside to pee. If I had a room at ground level, I don't think I'd care.

Going weeks without access to a bath/shower was smelly, too. If I was out in the woods, I could find a stream. In town, I'll get arrested. :D

Sears catalogs!

Yep...that sounds about right.

Abnormal psych is fun sometimes from a scholarship perspective (and everyone else in class was off doing this problem or that effect), I'm more interested in "normal" psych, what makes the average person tick.

John B Watson was right there with Ivan Pavlov and B F (Burris Frederick if anyone is keeping score) Skinner. Seems advertising psych shares more in common with salivating dogs and keyboard playing chickens...
The research that would interest you would be in the area of social psychology.
I considered going that route, but that does prepare one solely for an academic research/teaching career. There's no counseling training there.
If I had it to do over I would have gotten another research practicum with the social psychologist I studied under once. That would have paved the way towards an application to a PhD program. I would have chosen counseling psychology (which I have my masters in) or maybe the school psych PsyD - either way I would have the clinical training for licensure and clinical work outside the academy, but if I pursued an academic research career I would have preferred to develop a research agenda like that of a social or organizational psychologist.

Last edited:
When I was a young adult and hated my customer service jobs, one of my fondest daydreams was to be a part of a psychology experiment in isolation. I dreamed that I was given a year to live in a tiny but comfortable apartment with books to read and radio and tv, but no contact with anybody but researchers for one year.

I have no idea how it would have played out if it had been real, but it was a relaxing daydream.

(I was used to relative social isolation growing up, which I'm sure made me very unprepared for the daily rigor of dealing with customers later)

In practical terms, you could use washcloths and put them in the hamper.
When I was in high school, we did used to have to put our toilet paper in the wastebasket and flush the toilet with a bucket of water (due to antique plumbing that just didn't fully work)

The research that would interest you would be in the area of social psychology.
I considered going that route, but that does prepare one solely for an academic research/teaching career. There's no counseling training there.
If I had it to do over I would have gotten another research practicum with the social psychologist I studied under once. That would have paved the way towards an application to a PhD program. I would have chosen counseling psychology (which I have my masters in) or maybe the school psych PsyD - either way I would have the clinical training for licensure and clinical work outside the academy, but if I pursued an academic research career I would have preferred to develop a research agenda like that of a social or organizational psychologist.
Developmental Psych is another interesting avenue with associations to Anthropology

Developmental Psych is another interesting avenue with associations to Anthropology
For career reasons (opportunities) another direction I would have taken would be clinical neuropsychology.
One can do testing and functional assessments etc.

For career reasons (opportunities) another direction I would have taken would be clinical neuropsychology.
One can do testing and functional assessments etc.
Psych isn't so much my focus as it is a means to an end, the end being Anthropology. Ice Age prehistory fascinates me, I'm able to cut away all the trappings and layers of cultural propaganda and get to the root core essence of what it is to be human.

Psych isn't so much my focus as it is a means to an end, the end being Anthropology. Ice Age prehistory fascinates me, I'm able to cut away all the trappings and layers of cultural propaganda and get to the root core essence of what it is to be human.
My husband majored in anthropology as an undergrad.

India is woefully inadequate on psychologists. I think last WHO estimate was 0.07 / 100000 people. I have DID and never met a psychologist here. Just a psychiatrist who prescribed stuff. Before psychiatry we had melancholia and malingering. Mental illness became much more diverse and prevalent once science started to test chemicals on people to control the brain.

Mental illness became much more diverse and prevalent once science started to test chemicals on people to control the brain.
What do you mean?
Do you really think mental illness increased or became more widespread or more variety popped up that hadn't existed before?
No, these symptoms we see in various mental illnesses have been with us for a long time. Psychologists, psychiatrists etc studying them allowed us to develop words to describe them and a diagnostic framework with which to understand them.

I can't imagine anybody thinking the variety of mental illnesses really popped up overnight where they had not been before.🤔

Back