on Faith

I have abstained from participating in this thread - first because this thread is in the Christianity subforum and second because I have had words with @Tony Bristow-Stagg in the past, primarily elsewhere, and I’ve said what I have thought I needed to say. But I am reconsidering.
Tony is a known quantity....as are most of us with our beliefs and understandings of the known world based on our religious bias.

I think the discussion helps us all. But I do get irritated at myself as well when I allow myself to enter a fray only to beat my head against the bricks...

I have abstained from participating in this thread - first because this thread is in the Christianity subforum and second because I have had words with @Tony Bristow-Stagg in the past, primarily elsewhere, and I’ve said what I have thought I needed to say. But I am reconsidering.
From my view of life, which is I have been told by my wife, is very black and white, when one accepts God is One, there are no subforums of Faith, just opportunities to see another colour of the same rainbow refracted from the same white light. Thus I see God is One and subsequently all God given Faiths are One. Thus I choose to embrace all the Prophets of the Jews and Jesus Christ.

I understand many see that as a Baha'i we have not embraced those, as we so not practice faith as they do, but I see the change in God given Faiths is reflected in the change this world also offers us, the world being a reflection of the God given Creative Spirit. The same Sun rises each day, but in a different dawning point, there is spring, summer, autumn and winter and the cycle continues.

A Day of God is like 1000 years, thus the four seasons unfold in faith. The spring of renewal, the summer of growth, the autumn of decline, the winter of decay and God renews the process, God gives us a Messiah.

I personally think putting faith into a sealed compartment, does not allow one to explore all the truths contained within one's individual faith, that is applicable.to me as well, we are always learning, if we can let go of self, an issue I and all of us will face.

Regards Tony

Tony is a known quantity....as are most of us with our beliefs and understandings of the known world based on our religious bias.

I think the discussion helps us all. But I do get irritated at myself as well when I allow myself to enter a fray only to beat my head against the bricks...
I do not think we can know anybody's quantity, we do not even know our own quantity. It could very well be unlimited.

I see we can envisage a quantity of lesser and equal souls, as you have indicated, but are blinded by self to see the capacity of souls that have transcended self to a greater degree.

Regards Tony

I think that is common with many of our religions...thinking our book or our leader is the last and final prophet or savior.

If any jot or tittle...
This is not the case with the Message given by Baha'u'llah (I also do not see a finality and any other faith). There is lots of tangents and information, but the line of Messengers will continue. The Baha'i Faith is at the very start of spring, the process of renewal only just begun, the last strong winter storms have just about reached there climax. But we as a faith will have a Summer and then Autumn will arrive until winter will take us over.

Regards Tony

I can offer a though to consider with this wil, no need to injure yourself.

If Baha'u'llah is as claimed, then that would put things in a very different light would it not?

All the Messengers have bewailed their plight of not being accepted, when naught but Love and Unity was their given Message.

To quote from Jesus, passages such as Mark 9:19-24

He answered him and said, “O faithless generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I bear with you? Bring him to Me.” Then they brought him to Him. And when he saw Him, immediately the spirit convulsed him, and he fell on the ground and wallowed, foaming at the mouth. So He asked his father, “How long has this been happening to him?” And he said, “From childhood. And often he has thrown him both into the fire and into the water to destroy him. But if You can do anything, have compassion on us and help us.” Jesus said to him, “If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.” Immediately the father of the child cried out and said with tears, “Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!”

Regards Tony

To quote from Jesus, passages such as Mark 9:19-24

He answered him and said, “O faithless generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I bear with you? Bring him to Me.” Then they brought him to Him. And when he saw Him, immediately the spirit convulsed him, and he fell on the ground and wallowed, foaming at the mouth. So He asked his father, “How long has this been happening to him?” And he said, “From childhood. And often he has thrown him both into the fire and into the water to destroy him. But if You can do anything, have compassion on us and help us.” Jesus said to him, “If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.” Immediately the father of the child cried out and said with tears, “Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!”
In the rest of the passage, Jesus goes on to heal the boy, to demonstrate His power to heal and forgive sin. It's the whole point of the passage, imo

He didn't just expect everybody to take him at his word. He was a healer of the body to demonstrate his power to forgive sin and to heal the soul.
All the Messengers have bewailed their plight of not being accepted, when naught but Love and Unity was their given Message.
Jesus was first a healer, in order to convince people to accept his words. They flocked to him in droves

... when one accepts God is One, there are no subforums of Faith ...
The Traditionalist and Islamic scholar Seyyed Hossein Nasr has this to say on the 'subforums':
"... every religion possesses two elements which are its basis and its foundation: a doctrine which distinguishes between the Absolute and the relative... and a method of concentrating upon the Real, of attaching oneself to the Absolute and living according to the Will of Heaven, in accordance with the purpose and meaning of human existence... " Furthermore, as every authentic religion proceeds from Revelation, "... it contains within itself the Truth and the means of attaining the Truth."

To put it another way, every religion is in two aspects: the means by which the One comes to the believer, and the means by which the believer comes to the One.

Without those 'subforums', Tony, God is unknowable and unapproachable.

+++

"... just opportunities to see another colour of the same rainbow refracted from the same white light."
As you know, I am something of a Traditionalist of the Sophia Perennis. I see all religions as authentic communications of the One – colour me a colour of the rainbow, if you will.

But, unlike you, as a student of comparative religion, I can appreciate and respect their essential (esoteric) totality and (exoteric) integrity. In the absence of a representative I would champion them in the face of the world (as best I could with my scant knowledge).

+++

It seems to me as much as you claim to inclusivity, what you're actually claiming is a superiority and supremacy of your way over all others, which entitles you to critique their doctrines and dogmas. To offer commentary on their context, to endorse them or dismiss them as you see fit. You view, I think, each colour as a pale shadow of your own white light, whereas I see beyond my own world to see another in which that light that shines, each in its own way, and each to its own.

I see the rainbow in all its fulness and glory, whereas, sadly, I think you see it as contingent, limited and deficient.

Thus I see God is One and subsequently all God given Faiths are One.
All are one in God, but all are necessarily quite separate and distinct in the world ... but that is immaterial. It is one thing to see and say all Truth is One, it is quite another to prusue that Truth in the ways that the One has provided.

Thus I choose to embrace all the Prophets of the Jews and Jesus Christ.
Clearly, you don't, or you do according to your own philosophy. By embracing them according to your own 'frame of reference' you misinterpret, disfigure and trivialise them – in dismissing the rites and practices of the religions you announce your own lack of insight into their inner presence and meaning. All you can see is the outward form, which appears opaque according to your presuppositions.

Hence you can say of baptism:
"But at present in Asia, the Catholics and the Orthodox Church plunge newly born children into water mixed with olive oil, and many of them become ill from the shock; at the time of baptism they struggle and become agitated. In other places, the clergy sprinkle the water of baptism on the forehead. But neither from the first form nor from the second do the children derive any spiritual benefit."
‘Abdu’l-Bahá, Some Answered Questions, p. 95.

This is the kind of banal comment I'd expect from a close-minded atheist like Dawkins or Hitchens. That it fails utterly to comprehend on the Christian Mysteries says that mystical knowledge is occluded.

+++

There is indeed a Transcendent Unity of Religions, but here we are in the One, the One-Unto-Itself – the Inexpressible, Ineffable, Formless, Infinite – the One resides above all discrimination and determination – but here, at the level of the word, such is invisible, unknowable and inaccessible.

As soon as a Prophet speaks, as soon as a Revelation manifests Itself in whatever form – a writing, a concept, a person; a pillar of fire or a column of smoke, a burning bush or a tablet of stone; an oracle, a voice in the wilderness, a sense of the sublime – it is a form in the world forms.

The outward form is shaped to contain the inward essence; the outward form is relative and contingent, even while it speaks of, and enables access to, that essence. Nevertheless, it is a form and, as such, stands among other forms. All forms share a degree of exactitude and a degree of inadequacy.

I think the Baha'i seeks to create a religion divested of all outward forms, and yet declares itself in possession of the essence of every religion – and such, it is clear, is simply a failure to comprehend what a religion is and how it works. It's akin to saying if I believe in nothing, I believe in everything.

Nowhere is this more evident to the Christian than in the dismissal of the Sacraments. These are, to paraphrase Augustine, the outward forms of an invisible and ineffable presence. They are gratuitous gifts of God. That anyone should assume they do not possess or transmit a spiritual benefit is utter nonsense.

By the same token, the assumption that by paying lip service one is in receipt of that grace without embracing the form is, again, nonsense.

It's akin to saying everything God has to offer I have, simply because I am.

+++

I personally think putting faith into a sealed compartment, does not allow one to explore all the truths contained within one's individual faith, that is applicable.to me as well, we are always learning, if we can let go of self, an issue I and all of us will face.
Well that's typical of your 'holier-than-thou' elitism at its best!

I would say that the Baha'i mind is closed to the interior dimension of the Mysteries encompassed in the Religions. You do not so much explore their truths as seal them in a compartment labelled 'irrelevant'.

Reactions: RJM
All the Messengers have bewailed their plight of not being accepted
The ordinary people couldn't get enough of Jesus -- they adored him. It's why the officials decided they had to kill him:

Jesus said to her, “Did I not say to you that if you would believe you would see the glory of God?” Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead man was lying.

And Jesus lifted up His eyes and said, “Father, I thank You that You have heard Me. And I know that You always hear Me, but because of the people who are standing by I said this, that they may believe that You sent Me.”

Now when He had said these things, He cried with a loud voice, “Lazarus, come forth!” And he who had died came out bound hand and foot with graveclothes, and his face was wrapped with a cloth. Jesus said to them, “Loose him, and let him go.”

Then many of the Jews who had come to Mary, and had seen the things Jesus did, believed in Him. But some of them went away to the Pharisees and told them the things Jesus did.

Then the chief priests and the Pharisees gathered a council and said, “What shall we do? For this Man works many signs. If we let Him alone like this, everyone will believe in Him, and the Romans will come and take away both our place and nation.”

And one of them, Caiaphas, being high priest that year, said to them, “You know nothing at all, nor do you consider that it is expedient for us that one man should die for the people, and not that the whole nation should perish.
John 11:40-50

Tomorrow is Palm Sunday, when the people of Jerusalem turned out in a multitude to welcome his arrival for the Passover feast and strewed the streets with fronds of palms:

The next day a great multitude that had come to the feast, when they heard that Jesus was coming to Jerusalem, took branches of palm trees and went out to meet Him, and cried out: “Hosanna! ‘Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!’ The King of Israel!”
John 12:12-13

The Traditionalist and Islamic scholar Seyyed Hossein Nasr has this to say on the 'subforums':
"... every religion possesses two elements which are its basis and its foundation: a doctrine which distinguishes between the Absolute and the relative... and a method of concentrating upon the Real, of attaching oneself to the Absolute and living according to the Will of Heaven, in accordance with the purpose and meaning of human existence... " Furthermore, as every authentic religion proceeds from Revelation, "... it contains within itself the Truth and the means of attaining the Truth."

To put it another way, every religion is in two aspects: the means by which the One comes to the believer, and the means by which the believer comes to the One.

Without those 'subforums', Tony, God is unknowable and unapproachable.
I see that is why we have free will and why God Covernant renews religion, that God will never leave us alone. As all are from the One Truth and all serve the same purpose that is to know and love the One God. That quote is basically describing the process of being born again, acceptance of the New Word God has given and embracing it faith.

All the holy Scripture's continue that Covernant, that Christ (God's Annointed One) will return again (offeres in one way or another), yet many will say they have the final and greatest Revelation that God has given , that they need no further guidance.

Thomas the obvious question. If Baha'u'llah is as He offered, that He is the Father, the promissed end of ages Messiah, then has a person of previous faiths gotten all they need from their scriptures, keeping in mind the prophecies those books contain?

The answer to that for me, is why I can offer a different frame of reference on the Christian perspective, all the while personally embracing all that is Jesus the Christ.

Regards Tony

The ordinary people couldn't get enough of Jesus -- they adored him. It's why the officials decided they had to kill him:

Jesus said to her, “Did I not say to you that if you would believe you would see the glory of God?” Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead man was lying.

And Jesus lifted up His eyes and said, “Father, I thank You that You have heard Me. And I know that You always hear Me, but because of the people who are standing by I said this, that they may believe that You sent Me.”

Now when He had said these things, He cried with a loud voice, “Lazarus, come forth!” And he who had died came out bound hand and foot with graveclothes, and his face was wrapped with a cloth. Jesus said to them, “Loose him, and let him go.”

Then many of the Jews who had come to Mary, and had seen the things Jesus did, believed in Him. But some of them went away to the Pharisees and told them the things Jesus did.

Then the chief priests and the Pharisees gathered a council and said, “What shall we do? For this Man works many signs. If we let Him alone like this, everyone will believe in Him, and the Romans will come and take away both our place and nation.”

And one of them, Caiaphas, being high priest that year, said to them, “You know nothing at all, nor do you consider that it is expedient for us that one man should die for the people, and not that the whole nation should perish.
John 11:40-50

Tomorrow is Palm Sunday, when the people of Jerusalem turned out in a multitude to welcome his arrival for the Passover feast and strewed the streets with fronds of palms:

The next day a great multitude that had come to the feast, when they heard that Jesus was coming to Jerusalem, took branches of palm trees and went out to meet Him, and cried out: “Hosanna! ‘Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!’ The King of Israel!”
John 12:12-13
Thank you for the quoted passage.

Have a memorable Palm Sunday.

Regards Tony

But you don't baptise, you don't have sacraments, therefore you lack the means and the ability to confer graces.
You seem to be very convinced of the symbols of your religion. The baptism in the sense of John and Jesus is a symbol of reversion towards a life with God. You put drops of water on a baby and say that this is in the sense of God, His Messiah and His Spirit. From Whom is the grace?

You seem to be very convinced of the symbols of your religion. The baptism in the sense of John and Jesus is a symbol of reversion towards a life with God. You put drops of water on a baby and say that this is in the sense of God, His Messiah and His Spirit. From Whom is the grace?
I believe the form is what carries the sacraments down through the millennia. The form is the shell of the nut that protects and preserves the living truth contained. It is the eternal temple flame that's not allowed to go out. It's possible to imagine the lamp, or the temple -- but more effective to actually see it burning always in the temple?

Last edited:
I believe the form is what carries the sacraments down through the millennia. The form is the shell of the nut that protects and preserves the living truth contained. It is the eternal temple flame that's not allowed to go out. It's possible to imagine the lamp, or the temple -- but more effective to actually see it burning always in the temple?
Most religions use ritual forms to preserve their traditions.To stay in your image: We have to be careful that we don't cultivate dumb nuts or take a hazelnut for a coconut.

This is something that has happened to the baptism in most Christian denominations: it's taken the meaning of becoming a Christian, which in the beginning, was an act of reversion of a grownup person but now lost the contents. It's not only Christians who may lose the contents and only keep the shell; e.g. if we Muslim perform Salat just for routine, wash our arms and move, but have our thoughts elsewhere (with the difference that such is individual, not institutional).

Finally, it may be necessary to change; if there is no temple it should not be a reason not to keep the light burning in our hearts.

This is something that has happened to the baptism in most Christian denominations:
If the traditional form is not followed, the rite is defective. Having said that, under certain conditions God might well choose to confer His grace regardless, as is His prerogative.

it's taken the meaning of becoming a Christian, which in the beginning, was an act of reversion of a grownup person but now lost the contents.
I don't think so.
A traditional form does not lose its content because people cannot see the essence behind the form ... in the same way that the lower cannot corrupt the higher.

So the grace may not be conferred in the instance of someone going through the motions, with their hearts and minds elsewhere.

Is there a notion in Islam (excuse my ignorance) of a ritual action being sinful if performed without due mindfulness?

It's not only Christians who may lose the contents and only keep the shell; e.g. if we Muslim perform Salat just for routine, wash our arms and move, but have our thoughts elsewhere (with the difference that such is individual, not institutional).
Just so, but the fact that some Muslims perform as routine, does not invalidate the act for those Muslims who are mindful of what they're doing ... in the same way, many people baptise and get married in church even though would not call themselves Christian – white weddings have more to do with Disney-level fairytales than sacramental pledges ... but those who approach marriage fully, it's another matter.

Finally, it may be necessary to change; if there is no temple it should not be a reason not to keep the light burning in our hearts.
Indeed so.

Is see this is why we are given the direction of prayer, a focal point of all the minds praying to God, as to give power to the prayer. We pray to the focal point through the Temple of the Messengers, those that brought the Light of God to us.

I see when we do this, we are always partaking of the Last supper with Christ, as in every prayer, we are remembering them and in every prayer we acknowledge the Covenant given of God.

Regards Tony

If the traditional form is not followed, the rite is defective. Having said that, under certain conditions God might well choose to confer His grace regardless, as is His prerogative.
( I said, "it's taken the meaning of becoming a Christian, which in the beginning, was an act of reversion of a grownup person but now lost the contents."
I don't think so.
A traditional form does not lose its content because people cannot see the essence behind the form ... in the same way that the lower cannot corrupt the higher.
I said that the baptism doesn't have the content John and Jesus attributed to it if it's applied to an infant that doesn't understand the meaning. Of course this doesn't invalidate a baptism that is performed in the original sense. Or, maybe, it does have a content, but it's not the original, but an inauguration rite, similar to Aqiqah in Islam.
So the grace may not be conferred in the instance of someone going through the motions, with their hearts and minds elsewhere.
I'm again with you.
Is there a notion in Islam (excuse my ignorance) of a ritual action being sinful if performed without due mindfulness?
There is the notion of invalid prayer. If you notice yourself immediately that you didn't pray properly, you should repeat it. If you notice later that you were not attentive, you bring it before God in dua and improve. It's only considered a major sin if you just pretend to pray but do not believe.
Just so, but the fact that some Muslims perform as routine, does not invalidate the act for those Muslims who are mindful of what they're doing ... in the same way, many people baptise and get married in church even though would not call themselves Christian – white weddings have more to do with Disney-level fairytales than sacramental pledges ... but those who approach marriage fully, it's another matter.
I agree.

removed
see next post #278

Last edited:
Most religions use ritual forms to preserve their traditions.To stay in your image: We have to be careful that we don't cultivate dumb nuts or take a hazelnut for a coconut.
Yes. It can be true for most religion and scripture. Folks chewing on the dead wood of the shell.

But there's more to it. That's no reason to abandon the form. The spirit is really there, imo
I said that the baptism doesn't have the content John and Jesus attributed to it if it's applied to an infant that doesn't understand the meaning. Of course this doesn't invalidate a baptism that is performed in the original sense.
It's acquired a new meaning of washing away Original Sin, which is a subject all in itself, imo

Last edited:
Back