Maccabee massacre and the crucifixion/resurrection of Jesus

That reminds me of the name of Issaih’s (spelling?) son. I really like that book in the Bible because of its inclusiveness that seemed to be transcending tribalism.
I don’t have a Bible nearby to check. Time to do some research.
I was way off on that “memory!” I see that it is Jesus’ name! Isaiah prophesied a change involving one of his sons who would be at the helm as the new world order or kingdom would come. Most likely, Isaiah assumed the savior to be a king? Christ later fulfilled the role as a kind of cultural leader “king” instead of a literal one.
An example of how the Jews lived and relived their stories. Fulfilling prophecies might have been reliving stories more than evidencing the validity of premonitions.

You’ve inspired me to get the history straight. I’m lousy with timelines. My information has been limited to John Bowker’s book Religions That Shaped the World (title by recall, might be off a bit),
I don't know Bowker and I don't know his book, but if this is what he is teaching I would be inclined to dismiss it as intellectually dishonest.

According to that source, the concepts of martyrdom and afterlife either emerged or grew stronger, were more emphasized, after the Maccabees got slaughtered because they took a day or so off to pray (Sabbath?).
Based on what? Conjecture?

While it is true Judaism has a different view of Heaven / Afterlife than Christianity, it is no less philosophically deep and wide. The Devil isn't running around in long handled underwear grasping a pitchfork, he is more of an adversary in the legal sense. Martyrdom has been ripe in Judaism at least since the time of Daniel, Shadrach, Meshak and Abednego in the furnace. So Bowker either hasn't done his homework, or he is pushing an agenda...either way I would dismiss anything he had to say on the matter.

Paul and Constantine were two instrumental people in Christianity, but it takes a village to raise a revolution.

Nevertheless, the Maccabees were about 150 years before Jesus was born, so invoking Constantine, or Paul for that matter, on an issue impacting Judaism is a bit off track.

It was just a one man revolution that failed. What Paul and Constantine made it is a different thing.
Did Tom Parker make Elvis, by recognizing Elvis? Would Elvis have survived without talent?

Who made Shakespeare or Martin Luther or Da Vinci? Who made the Rolling Stones?

2000 years of Jesus still probably the most influential and quoted figure in the history of humanity -- it's not all down to Paul and Constantine

Last edited:
Back