Isalm and its relationship to other religions

thipps said:
A relevant Qur'anic verse:
Truly the Religion with Allaah is Islam [Qur'an, 3:19]

"And verily this is My Straight Path, so follow it and do not follow the other paths because they will separate you from His Path." (Qur'an, 6:153)

so, there is no room for a multi-lane highway or getting to the top of the mountain from different paths.

that's really pretty sad to hear .... reality is there are many paths to the mountaintop .... the answer to the question of whether or not Islam recognizes any of them seems to be no ..... my question is whether or not this is the interpretation of all followers of the Qur'an or is there room for different interpretations .... me ke aloha pumehana, pohaikawahine

Before I say anything more, please keep in mind the nature of the topic and the fact that Muslims were asked this and,thus, you will be given the Muslim point of view.
pohaikawahine said:
that's really pretty sad to hear
Actually its not. Makes things crystal clear. Nothing wrong with that.
.... reality is there are many paths to the mountaintop ....
The above-mentioned hadith removes the possibility of this. The reality you speak of, as far as we are concerned, is only in your mind. As the hadith mentioned, there is a devil on each path calling to paths other than the Path of Allaah. He calls people to it and makes it seem good to them.
the answer to the question of whether or not Islam recognizes any of them seems to be no .....
not exactly. This was explained in reference to the Jews and Christians when thier books were revealed. But, right now, in our time i.e. once the Qur'an was revealed, then there is only Islam in its current and final form to be followed as the Qur'anic verse makes it clear.
my question is whether or not this is the interpretation of all followers of the Qur'an or is there room for different interpretations .... me ke aloha pumehana, pohaikawahine
Depends on what basis you want to make room for. I ask this because you already know the answer to this question you have asked. If you are looking for a different interpretation, then you will find it but, I advise you, the one that I gave you is what the majority of muslims believe.

pohaikawahine, I suggest you go through the thread for a clear picture. Hopefully you will find the answers to your questions already written in them. I'll take this opportunity just to recap slightly and add some more material to this thread.
All the Prophets and Messengers called humanity to worship Allah alone without ascribing to Him any partner, and they all submitted completely to the will of Allah, which is Islam. The Prophets, from Adam to Muhammad (peace be upon them) were all brothers in faith. They all called to the same truth. Here I relate some very relevant verses for your perusal which were not shown before.

Allah chose Adam, Nuh(Noah), the family of Ibrahim (Abraham) and the family of ‘Imran above the ‘Alamin (mankind and jinn). [Qur’an, 3:33]
And, verily, among those who followed his (i.e. Nuh’s (Noah’s)) way was Ibrahim (Abraham). [Qur’an, 37:83]

He (Allah) has ordained for you the same religion (islam) which He ordained for Nuh (Noah), and that which We have inspired in you (O Mohammad (pbuh)), and that which We ordained for Ibrahim(Abraham), Musa(Moses) and ‘Eesa(Jesus) saying you should establish religion (i.e. to do what it orders you to do practically), and make no divisions in it. Intolerable for the Mushrikun (those who worship other things than Allah), is that to which you (O Mohammad (pbuh)) call them. Allah chooses for Himself whom he wills, and guides unto Himself who turns to Him in repentance and in obedience. [Qur’an, 42:13]

Verily, We have inspired you (O Mohammad (pbuh)) as We inspired Nuh (Noah) and the Prophets after him; We (also) inspired Ibrahim (Abraham), Isma’il (Ishmael), Ishaaq (Isaac), Ya’qub (Jacob), and Al-Asbaat (the twelve sons of Jacob), ‘Eesa (Jesus), Ayub (Job), Yunus (Jonah), Harun (Aaron), and Sulaiman (Solomon), and to Dawud (David) We gave the Zabur (Psalms). [Qur’an, 4:163]
Some other relevant verses are 3:33, 7:59, 9:70, 46:21.
Hope this helped.
And Allaah knows best.

I am a Christian, and my view of religions is that all religions lead to salvation. The Jew will go to heaven for his faithfulness to Judaism, the Muslim to heaven/paradise for his faithfulness to Islam, and the Christian to heaven for his faithfulness to Christianity.
Not true,only one religion leads to Heaven even tho Christianity the Jewish religion and Islam are similar they are not the same.
SHAKIR: This then is Allah, your true Lord; and what is there after the truth but error; how are you then turned back?10.32
Truth and error are not the same,there is only one truth everything else is error/false.
When I began to look at Islam though, I saw several passages in the Quran that suggest that Jews and Christians should have no fear on the day of judgment; I also saw other passages that warned against any other religion because only Islam was acceptable to Allah.

So my questions are, what are the liberal/conservative views on religious pluralism in Islam? Is Islam inclusivist at all? Or is Islam to be taken as the one and only way?
First of all Quran does not contradict and Islam/Submission is the only accepted religion by God.
Just calling yourself a Muslim,Jew or Christen does not make you a beliver.
How many sects does any of the 3 religions have,so its obvios not all Muslims,Jews and Christen are true belivers.
Read the verses below for better understanding,you wont find 3 different religions in the Quran but only one.
YUSUFALI: Those who believe (in the Qur'an), and those who follow the Jewish (scriptures), and the Christians and the Sabians,- any who believe in Allah and the Last Day, and work righteousness, shall have their reward with their Lord; on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.
YUSUFALI: Not all of them are alike: Of the People of the Book are a portion that stand (For the right): They rehearse the Signs of Allah all night long, and they prostrate themselves in adoration.
YUSUFALI: They believe in Allah and the Last Day; they enjoin what is right, and forbid what is wrong; and they hasten (in emulation) in (all) good works: They are in the ranks of the righteous.
YUSUFALI: Of the good that they do, nothing will be rejected of them; for Allah knoweth well those that do right.
YUSUFALI: And there are, certainly, among the People of the Book, those who believe in Allah, in the revelation to you, and in the revelation to them, bowing in humility to Allah: They will not sell the Signs of Allah for a miserable gain! For them is a reward with their Lord, and Allah is swift in account.

thipps said:
pohaikawahine, I suggest you go through the thread for a clear picture. Hopefully you will find the answers to your questions already written in them. I'll take this opportunity just to recap slightly and add some more material to this thread.

mahalo nui .... I have read every posting in this thread and appreciate your reply. I wish you peace. he hawai'i au, pohaikawahine

I am free said:
Hi Redindica,

I think Amica's post #15 answers this question.

Thank you I Am Free, I'm aware of all the posts on this thread, post number 15 is not very explicit, what I'm after is The Official Line on non Abrahamic faiths. Ie, what a Muslim should do when faced with people of such faiths, and how they are sanctioned to act towards them.

Peace.

Re: Islam and its relationship to other religions

ebel86 said:
...Islam/Submission is the only accepted religion by God.

Why is this? What difference would it make to God what religion I follow?

If a person is truly good & kind and loving, would such a person still burn in hell? If yes, then why?

redindica said:
Thank you I Am Free, I'm aware of all the posts on this thread, post number 15 is not very explicit, what I'm after is The Official Line on non Abrahamic faiths. Ie, what a Muslim should do when faced with people of such faiths, and how they are sanctioned to act towards them.

Peace.

Hi redindica,
I agree, no post has clearly explained the Muslim view on hindus, buddhists, etc. But post #15 was the closest.

ebel86 said:
Not true,only one religion leads to Heaven even tho Christianity the Jewish religion and Islam are similar they are not the same.

Hi ebel86

Then why have Jesus as one of the Prophets of Islam and condemn His followers to hell? Same with the Jews and Abraham (he also being the founder of Islam if another thread is to be belived) Seems illogical. Contradictory in fact??

Peace

Not true,only one religion leads to Heaven
and it is mine!

no mine!

'You are going to Hell, God Bless,' boy do we have a long way to go...

Everyone is doing the best with the knowledge they currently have. There is no right or wrong it just is.

I am free said:
Why is this? What difference would it make to God what religion I follow?

If a person is truly good & kind and loving, would such a person still burn in hell? If yes, then why?

Different religions have different proscriptions on what is regarded as good and kind and loving - the position within Islam, so far as I understand it, I think is a little more complex than is being considered in that comment.

redindica said:
Hi ebel86

Then why have Jesus as one of the Prophets of Islam and condemn His followers to hell? Same with the Jews and Abraham (he also being the founder of Islam if another thread is to be belived) Seems illogical. Contradictory in fact??

Peace

I don't believe that Islam simply condemns Christians - there is great respect for "People of the Book" (ie, Jews and Christians) written in the Qur'an.

I'm happy to be corrected, but I think the Muslim position towards Christianity could be over-simplified to: "Wrong path, right direction".

Where Christians are seen to be upholding God, there is not so much of an issue as when Christians are seen to be abusing God.

wil said:
and it is mine!

no mine!

'You are going to Hell, God Bless,' boy do we have a long way to go...

Everyone is doing the best with the knowledge they currently have. There is no right or wrong it just is.

I believe this thread is specifically about the Islamic position, which obivously has a more exclusive position - but let's please allow the Muslims to answer the question of Islam's relationship to other religions, rather than deride the replies. :)

Thank you I, Brian...(and thankyou for the welcome btw!:))

I very interested in how the world is going both in a secular sense and religious, if there are any convergences or overriding disputes. So your explination helps me greatly.

Thanks again!
Peace
Red

I said:
Different religions have different proscriptions on what is regarded as good and kind and loving - the position within Islam, so far as I understand it, I think is a little more complex than is being considered in that comment.

Hmmm, that is some food for thought. If I understand what you are saying correctly, a person who does not follow all Islamic injunctions to the T would not be seen as a "good" person.

But still, I am not looking for a strict Islamic view. I want to know the personal views of muslims. Surely you would have met some "good" people who are not muslims - kind, courageous, courteous, etc, etc - exemplary human beings in every way. What would be the personal opinion of muslims, are these people going to hell?

Hmmm, that is some food for thought. If I understand what you are saying correctly, a person who does not follow all Islamic injunctions to the T would not be seen as a "good" person.

But still, I am not looking for a strict Islamic view. I want to know the personal views of muslims.
The answer to the above, in my personal opinion is I have none. Allah knows best. For a start Muhammad pbuh has been sent as a prophet for the mercy of all human kind. Islam was revealed as a way of life for all human kind. Allah reward everyone justly. He is the most gracious and most merciful. Similarly a person who is a non-muslim whom are "good" will have their reward equivalent to their labour. Allah knows best of our inward and outward intention.

Surely you would have met some "good" people who are not muslims - kind, courageous, courteous, etc, etc - exemplary human beings in every way. What would be the personal opinion of muslims, are these people going to hell?
We ourself don't know if we ever make it to Heaven. There is a well know prayer from a well know devout Muslim which I can't remember his name;

Oh Allah, I am not fit for you heaven. However, I can't bear the torture of your hellfire. Thus, forgive me for all my sin. Verily you are the forgiver of sins.
You see even for a devout Muslim, he prayed for his safety from Hell. The bottom line here is every actions we do here is counted based on our intention. For example, if we donate $500.00 to charity and our intention is purely to show off our wealth, this gains nothing to us except sin. Reason being, we allow pride to overcome ourself and thus forget that there is someone more wealthier than us and all that we have is not ours but truly a temporary loan while we are alive on Earth.

I hope this helps you some what.

peace.

thipps said:
hCommenting on 5:69, Ibn Katheer (may Allah have mercy on him) said:
“What is meant is that every group believed in Allah and the Last Day, which is the appointed Day of Reckoning, and did righteous deeds. But after Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) was sent to both mankind and the jinn, true belief can only be in accordance with the way of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him).

Hi Thipps.

For me, it all turns on what is meant by "Islam". If Islam means submission to God, then it should include all believers, all theists, including Hindus. If it means, subscribing to a particular monotheistic sect, with a particular prophet and language, then for me - with all respect - it's a form of blasphemy, holding a mere human being, a mere book, a mere language, or mere series of historical events to level of God. Again, no disrespect intended, but God is beyond all books, including the Qur'an.

Sincerely,
Devadatta

Devadatta said:
Hi Thipps.

For me, it all turns on what is meant by "Islam". If Islam means submission to God, then it should include all believers, all theists, including Hindus. If it means, subscribing to a particular monotheistic sect, with a particular prophet and language, then for me - with all respect - it's a form of blasphemy, holding a mere human being, a mere book, a mere language, or mere series of historical events to level of God. Again, no disrespect intended, but God is beyond all books, including the Qur'an.

Sincerely,
Devadatta

Congratulations Davadatta, you have successfully confused Islam with your dastardly notions yet again. Islam in its complete meaning is peace and submission to the will of the One True God. The idea is that when you submit yourself to God's will then you shall attain peace. The CREED and PILLAR of Islam is the Shahadah or the testimony i.e. LAI ILAA HA'ILLALLAH MUHAMMADARRASULULLAH or ASYHADU'ALLA ILLA HA'ILLALLAH WA ASYHADU ANNA MUHAMMAD RASULULLAH which means I bear withness that there is NO GOD BUT ALLAH(the One TRUE God) and that MUHAMMAD IS THE MESSENGER OF ALLAH. If Hindus could subscribe to this creed Devadatta, we as Muslims have no problem in accepting them into the fold of Islam. Unfortunately, many Hindus do not really believe in ONE God....millions revere the cow for example and worship it as such....this sort of behaviour does not belong to Islam. Islam does mean subscribing to the PROPHET MUHAMMAD s.a.w. by saying that this is blasphemy is VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY disrespectful to Muslims Devadatta, so don't try to BUTTER your devilish accusation with words like with all respect and no disrespect intended. God is beyond the Qur'an? Obviously....who said He's confined to the Qur'an? which Muslim says so? which scholar says so? The Qur'an is God's wahi...His revelation..His very utterances(not that we say He has a mouth like a human being to speak), if we deny that, then consequently we deny Him.

Devadatta said:
Hi Thipps.

Sincerely,
Devadatta

Devadatta....if you truly believe that all theists and Hindus ought to be included in Islam then why don't you call yourself a Muslim and other Hindus as such? You're a Hindu I take it? Muslim is the correct term for one who subscribe to Islam..it's the fa'il in Arabic..meaning the person who does something to the fi'il(verb)....but you know you consider yourself a non-Muslim as I understand it(you said and I quote,"As a non-Muslim, this reasoning seems to me mistaken."), thereby your proposition that Hindus ought to be included under the banner of Islam is quite silly.

Devadatta,
I am not interested in your personal views/interpretations as to what islam should be or even what you think it is even when you are told it is not. So, finally I repeat to you the last verse of the 109th chapter of the Qur'aan:
To you be your religion, and to me my religion.

Aidyl Nurhadi said:
Congratulations Davadatta, you have successfully confused Islam with your dastardly notions yet again. Islam in its complete meaning is peace and submission to the will of the One True God. The idea is that when you submit yourself to God's will then you shall attain peace. The CREED and PILLAR of Islam is the Shahadah or the testimony i.e. LAI ILAA HA'ILLALLAH MUHAMMADARRASULULLAH or ASYHADU'ALLA ILLA HA'ILLALLAH WA ASYHADU ANNA MUHAMMAD RASULULLAH which means I bear withness that there is NO GOD BUT ALLAH(the One TRUE God) and that MUHAMMAD IS THE MESSENGER OF ALLAH. If Hindus could subscribe to this creed Devadatta, we as Muslims have no problem in accepting them into the fold of Islam. Unfortunately, many Hindus do not really believe in ONE God....millions revere the cow for example and worship it as such....this sort of behaviour does not belong to Islam. Islam does mean subscribing to the PROPHET MUHAMMAD s.a.w. by saying that this is blasphemy is VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY disrespectful to Muslims Devadatta, so don't try to BUTTER your devilish accusation with words like with all respect and no disrespect intended. God is beyond the Qur'an? Obviously....who said He's confined to the Qur'an? which Muslim says so? which scholar says so? The Qur'an is God's wahi...His revelation..His very utterances(not that we say He has a mouth like a human being to speak), if we deny that, then consequently we deny Him.

Hi again.

I'm not sure you want to converse with me much further since I'm dastardly & a devil! So this exchange I guess is winding down. But I take no offense.

Again, I feel you misunderstand my ultimate meaning. If it's my manner of expression, then I apologize.

I'm merely pointing out a contradiction: if the one God is transcendent, beyond all human calculation, why would it be essential to approach that God through a particular tradition, language or book?

My impression is that you're no fully aware of how much other traditions point to the same reality. To speak, for example, of Hindus worshipping cows is to distort a highly sophisticated tradition and to ignore the fact that most Hindus are also monotheists, while employing differing concepts & practices.

As Thipps quotes below, to you your religion and to me mine, but I can't help feeling you live in a kind of bubble of your own concepts.

Sincerely,
Devadatta

Back