My Favorite Music

DearTabatha

Reaction score
First of all, I'm a huge fan of new age music. I feel that it encompasses many emotions and relaxes the soul better than any other style of music.

My favorite CD to stimulate my spirit is "Songs for a Secret Garden" by the duo Secret Garden. The music has a pleasant flow to it, and they use an interesting variety of natural and electronic sounds. Their new CD "Earthsongs" is supposed to be excellent as well. Has anyone else had some positive experiences with their music? Post here if you want to chat.

-Tabatha

It's hard to keep up with New Age musicians as it's never seemed a particularly well distributed genre...

Got some Phil Thornton, which is good, and a few other assorted artists I never remember the names of.

Also, when mp3.com was still around, there were some good independent acts on there.

Addendum: So I was in Tesco's, drifted over to the music section out of curiosity, and there was a big smiling face of Charles Hawtrey on one CD - compilation of music by the Smiths. Long time no hear, so bought it. :)

Also, finally decided to try Paul Weller out with Modern Classics - sounds pretty decent so far, with a firm "inspired by the Beatles" stamp in places.

Cool! I've always been a fan of jazz influenced rock. Haven't found anything to beat that yet, and most of it is over 20 years old. Supertramp a perennial favorite, but groups like Yes and Steely Dan. As for New Age stuff, I like some of what I hear on the radio, but the only two albums I have that come to mind are by Enya (I love the song Orinoco Flow) and another called "Merlin's Magic", really soothing instrumental.

Oh yes, where are my manners today? Welcome to CR Tabatha!

I keep meaning to get a "greatest hits" or equivalent of Supertramp - it's something I remember vaguely as a kid - the Logic Song, etc. And Jerry Rafferty. I have an urge to retrace interesting music I've been exposed to in life. :)

It's very pleasant to meet everyone!

I'm with you Juantoo, Orinoco Flow is a classic. If you like Enya, you should really check out Secret Garden, David Arkenstone, and Loreena McKennitt. I'm a huge fan of music with a lot of texture and soundscapes -- never heard of Phil Thornton though, which CD do you recommend Brian?

Kindest Regards, Brian!
I said:
I keep meaning to get a "greatest hits" or equivalent of Supertramp - it's something I remember vagule as a kid - the Logic Song, etc.
"Paris" is the live album recorded in, you guessed it, Paris. It was the Breakfast in America tour, and is the better album in my opinion than the greatest hits album. Which is saying something for me, I don't generally care for live albums, but SuperTramp was always such a tight band there is little lost from the studio. Included are all of the better songs from the previous albums.

Kindest Regards, Tabatha!
DearTabatha said:

I'm with you Juantoo, Orinoco Flow is a classic. If you like Enya, you should really check out Secret Garden, David Arkenstone, and Loreena McKennitt. I'm a huge fan of music with a lot of texture and soundscapes -- never heard of Phil Thornton though, which CD do you recommend Brian?
It is nice to meet you as well!
Thank you for the list, I will look into them! I do like some Acoustic Alchemy, but I don't have any of their albums. By the way, has anyone heard of Carolyn Mas? I had her debut album years ago and would dearly love to replace it. More jazz than New Age, but great listening.

Hello all,

I never really looked at the lounge before. Music...I love Ravelle's (sp) Bolero. I like music with a storyline, and I like making my own. American Country music catches my attention (but that maybe due to my partiality). I love Jazz. I enjoy creating tunes on my clarinet that I can't ever re-create if my life depended on it. :D

I like it all, except "hate" type rap. :mad:

v/r

Q

DearTabatha said:

The first Enya album is pretty decent, though her later work seems very repetitive. The first album - favourite was the one she wrote in tribute to Marilyn Monroe - Cursum perficio I think??

As for Phil Thornton - his "Pharaoh" album is the best of his Egyptian themed albums - dreamy synth landscapes of ancient Egypt. Very mellow yet exotic. He also did a work called "Tibetan Horn" which is fairly decent. Pharoah is probably the favourite, though.

Thanks for the recommendations as well. :)

I enjoy, I suppose what could be termed 'cold' music. Artists such as Harold Budd, David Sylvian, Caroline Lavelle, Hector Zazou, Brian Eno, Robert Fripp, JBK, Barbieri & Jansen, Dead Can Dance, Lisa Gerrard, Tangerine Dream and Mick Karn.

Hey, Dead Can Dance aren't cold. :)

Beyond the Realms of a Dying Sun is intensely melancholic, though...

Hector Zazou I've not heard much of, excepting I was once carrying a recording - Song of the Cold Sea I think it may have been called - filled with guest vocals from people such as Bjork, Souxsie Sioux, and Suzanne Vega I think.

I like new age music as well. Can't pin point any artists and haven't spent much time in that area of the music store but when I hear it, it's soothing. Enya's very popular, and I do very much dig Enya.

Jazz listener here. Old jazz, new jazz - I'm with it. Coltrane, Davis, Fats Waller, Art Tatum, George Benson, Kirk Whalum, Norman Brown, Herb Alpert, Steely Dan (is that Jazz?), Doc Powell, and so many others. My favorite CD is the 20 year old album 'Double Vision' by Bob James and David Sanborn. And I don't know if she is Jazz, but I really adore Sade(though I haven't yet adjusted to 'Lover's Rock'). My budies are rap listeners, so when they spend any significant amount of time in my home it is because they want to sit back and relax and eventually go to sleep. :)

everything but rap & opera. if i had to pick one form and stick with it forever it would classical.
in order

gospel
country
rock
blues
broadway & show tunes
jazz

too many to mention:)

I like RAP *snicker* just Kidding look at my picture

No really I can still fix an 8 track tapes
Laughed when my Kids talk about those Big black CD's

Played Country for a living from the time I was 16 till I was 22 adulthood started Kids Bills and there are much easier way to make a living.

Like Hootie & The Blowfish for their old rock sound
Listen to celtic music or Kenny Loggins Return to Pooh Corner to sleep

Chris Rice is super Christian music and similiar to the style I play on Guitar
I write and have a small recording studio in my home also do some studio work for others.

Music to me is really a big part of my life cant remember when it wasnt. I Listen to anything but quickly lose interest when I am screamed at or become offened at lyrics.

Since this has degraded into a "music I like" thread(not a bad thing):

I like fusion; mclaughlin, cobham, etc.

I like klezmer, epecially when it's jazz influenced.

Jazz is good. I need to get some more jazz albums. Wait, kids call them CDs these days.

Metal, both older and lighter stuff like King's X and heavier stuff like Children of Bodom, Meshuggah, SOAD, Primus. But I really love Nightwish, which features an amazing operatic female vocalist.

I also like listening percussion for example drumming circles. I like listening to niggunim (not all the time. It gets repetitive. They're wordless songs which allow a person to connect directly to God without words and sound like "la la la ya ya ya" etc.)

I like Blues. Forgot that.

But I haven't been listening to much music lately, lately extending into the far reaches of thedistant past past past...

Dauer

My favorite music is classical.... It's just so soothing to the mind and can really help you relax after a long and stressful day... Andrea Bocelli is my favorite artist of all... He also brings a spiritual flare to his music, incorporating lyrics of love, peace, happiness, and did i mention love? "Andrea" is my personal favorite album, his new one of the 20 he's put out throughout his elustrious carrer... http://www.andreabocelli.com/ :eek:

I like klezmer, epecially when it's jazz influenced
Dauer, are you familiar with John Zorn's Masada project? I've only The Circle Maker set, but aim to eventually expand my collection (along with a thousand other discs I can't live without....)

Another formal composition, but highly accesable to jazz buffs, is the Kronos Quartet's recording of Osvaldo Golijov's The Dreams and Prayers of Issac the Blind.

That's about the limit of my knowledge on the subject--I'd be interested in hearing about some of your favorite jazz/klezmer material--

oh! oh! has anyone heard of this Hassidic reggae singer Matisyahu? i may have mentioned him already, but he's truly unique.

has a beautiful voice and musical style, too. and his music is of course devotional. :)

www.hasidicreggae.com

hi all!

I like classical especially Venessa Mae. I like Bach and Motzart and so on. However I like the total opposite of this music as well I like Heavy Metal like Slipknot, Static X, Linkin park. I also like a fusion of both which you can get from bands such as Nightwish.

Back