Forgiveness

Do you know that for a fact? Father has told us we are not to judge sinners because we all sin--where would you stop? Hell would be completely filled to overflowing if "repentance" were the standard because many of us don't even know what we do wrong. I mean you've got millions of Americans who unthinkingly vote for a president who uses American lives to further an agenda that has nothing at all to do with saving America from "terror". So you have millions of Americans who have no idea they're hands are bloody. Who judges that? We can't.

God forgives those who are repentant. I don't think anyone who has honestly sought God has been turned away from His mercy. While the Prodigal Son is a great story about repentance, and something that I can relate to greatly in my own life, there is also a flip side to it. Observe this parable in Matthew 18:

"Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants.
And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand talents.
But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made.
The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.
Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt.
But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellowservants, which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took him by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest.
And his fellowservant fell down at his feet, and besought him, saying, Have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.
And he would not: but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt.
So when his fellowservants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done.
Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me:
Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee?
And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.
So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses." - Matthew 18:23-35

I shudder to think that I haven't been forgiving enough that when I face God, that I would end up like that unforgiving servant. God has given each of us a conscience to know when we have wronged someone or when we need to forgive those who wronged us, but if we do not take the time to things right, then we are going to have to face God with that on our conscience.

Hell is made for the unrepentant.

Hi Dondi,

Forgiveness is also for the forgiver...

And repentence benefits the one who repents.

Just a thought. :)

Amazing OP just what I was looking for... If I hadn't given you reputation for a previous post I would for certain give you it for this (Can't give you double reps til I've repped 15 others... I'll be back lol)

Not only did I wish to thank you for such a post I also wanted to "bump" this thread to see if there are any more new thoughts/ideas/angles out there that anyone wished to share?

One thing I would like to ask you mention pray to god for faith? Can you pray for faith?
If faith is a gift (and it is), and we are to ask God for what we need, and he says he will give us what we need (repeatedly), of course one can pray for faith.

I've have several friends who in a fit of frustration and anger said to God "If you are real, then give me faith I need to know"...or "show me you exist so that I will know beyond doubt".

and he did.

Happened to me that way. I was a Christian for 28 years but in all that time I never once had a personal experience of Jesus. Not once. God, oh yes, God for sure, lot's of astonishing revelations sent into my mind by this Something that told me all about Jesus and why He was sent into the world but no Jesus. God even sent a guiding angel my way but no Jesus. Coupled with a Christian theology that wasn't anywhere near orthodox to begin with it was difficult to claim myself a "Christian" yet I knew I was even without experiencing Jesus personally in my life. Ah, but then, last year towards the end about a month before facing prostate cancer surgery, the illness that I had been dealing with all through 2007, I decided to put the obvious question to the test: I asked God, "Are You Jesus?"

Yes.

Asked It seven times, seven received God's answer "Yes" seven times. It was the first time ever for me that God had spoken to me personally. Never got any direct God talk before--just ideas and concepts planted in my mind, sometimes a slogan but never real conversation. Now, that's what I have and I tell you the truth I have backed way off asking God about things because He answers! and He's already turned 28 years of my beliefs inside out.;)

Happened to me that way. I was a Christian for 28 years but in all that time I never once had a personal experience of Jesus. Not once. God, oh yes, God for sure, lot's of astonishing revelations sent into my mind by this Something that told me all about Jesus and why He was sent into the world but no Jesus. God even sent a guiding angel my way but no Jesus. Coupled with a Christian theology that wasn't anywhere near orthodox to begin with it was difficult to claim myself a "Christian" yet I knew I was even without experiencing Jesus personally in my life. Ah, but then, last year towards the end about a month before facing prostate cancer surgery, the illness that I had been dealing with all through 2007, I decided to put the obvious question to the test: I asked God, "Are You Jesus?"

Yes.

Asked It seven times, seven received God's answer "Yes" seven times. It was the first time ever for me that God had spoken to me personally. Never got any direct God talk before--just ideas and concepts planted in my mind, sometimes a slogan but never real conversation. Now, that's what I have and I tell you the truth I have backed way off asking God about things because He answers! and He's already turned 28 years of my beliefs inside out.:;

Interesting story sonoman. Yeah, we pray for the Holy Spirit to help and then when she shows up it's like, Whoa! I wasn't ready for that!

PS Hope your health is better now.

Do you know that for a fact? Father has told us we are not to judge sinners because we all sin--where would you stop? Hell would be completely filled to overflowing if "repentance" were the standard because many of us don't even know what we do wrong. I mean you've got millions of Americans who unthinkingly vote for a president who uses American lives to further an agenda that has nothing at all to do with saving America from "terror". So you have millions of Americans who have no idea they're hands are bloody. Who judges that? We can't.

I'm not here to judge anybody. Not my job. The point to the parable is to be sure that the mercy you received is made manifest to those whom you may give mercy to. The ultimate judge is God. This parable serves as a warning that one day we will have to face God and give account of our lives. How did we treat people? Did we treat them with the same accord that God treated us?

It is a matter of conscience. I do not think God judges us for our ignorance. (But that why we need to gain the knowledge of God in the first place. That is why the Word was established to aid in our conscience the will of God). If we don't know a thing is wrong, then how can God judge us, but when He makes something clear in our minds what is right and what is wrong, He expects us to act accordingly. To much is given, much will be required.

But I like how your slipped you little political agenda into this conversation. You've catagorically made every single person who voted for that certain candidate look like an idiot and unlearned. I'd really appreciate that you wouldn't do that here, please. There are other forums for discussing such.

Hi Dondi,

Forgiveness is also for the forgiver...

And repentence benefits the one who repents.

Good points, luna. Unforgiveness will breed bitterness and contempt. Repentance isn't a dirty word. It a matter of change, of growth. Turning from our own selfish tendencies to something better. Of learning to be unselfish in selfish world. Reaching out to bring hope to others. If we are not willing to do that, then how are we going to be fit for heaven?

We can ask for it

luke 17:5 And the apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith.”

We can learn it

Romans 10:17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

We get some just for the heck of it.. how much is Gods choice.

Romans 12:3 For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith.

To some its their spiritual gift.

1 Corinthian 12:9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit,

...Forgiveness is also for the forgiver....

Spot on. Sure isn't for anyone else!

Folks say things like. I'm not forgiving them, they haven't asked, or they don't deserve it.

Well it matters not how slight or how big the perceived infraction, if we don't forgive we enlarge it.

We think about the person, we think about what they 'owe' us, how 'they' affected us...a whole soap opera starts in playing out in our mind...all because we haven't forgiven.

We see the person, our blood may boil, we talk tersely, we can't think while we are trying to have a conversation with someone else...all because we haven't forgiven.

Forgiveness is surely for our peace of mind, so we no longer take up time, energy and space considering whatever it is...

And funny thing is, if we allow enough time to go buy without forgiving...we forget the issue all together...we just know we are still mad at them...who does that affect??

The one that gets me most often is hearing someone say, "I'm not calling them (or writing them, or sending a Birthday card, or Christmas card or...) because I did it it last time and they never responded."

Forgive, to give, it is a gift we give ourselves.

LOL I just posted in refrence to the son! No I don't think we should wait for others to apologise before we forgive, sorry for any misunderstanding what I meant from that post was this person had wronged him, and showed no sign of regret for his actions... And to forgive him still shows true will of god.... Any clearer?
The father had forgiven his son, long before the son ever came up the road...

Doesn't it seem like a bit of a slap in the face though? In my thoughts it feels like I am talking to someone yet ignoring them at the very same time... Dunno, I just feel awarkward praying for faith.... *shrugs*

Then do it anyways.. we are supposed to pray for what we want/need to get closer to him and to further our walk with him...and its in His good pleasure to give above and beyond all that we can ever imagine.

So take a leap off that wall and Just Do It!

Back