The Death Burial and Resurrection of the Lord Jesus -Palm Sunday & Easter

i have to say Luna, I have never fully understood the fig tree being cursed unless it is about saints who do not bare fruit, but then Jesus turns around and teaches about faith and not doubting. so there is something there about not baring fruit, this curse and faith that i cannot say i fully understand.

my avacodo tree in florida was huge and it only put off one avacado in 7 years:( .

but...i will say this:)

if jesus said it i believe it, his word cannot lie
if it's written in the bible, I'll believe it til i die
tho the mountains be removed and cast into the sea
Gods word will stand forever throughout eternity.
:)

Well, it has been interesting and illuminating to think about the fig tree episode. I’ll share my exegesis, not that it’s worth anything to anyone else! So, starting again with Matthew’s version of the withering of the fig tree, which in Matthew is in between the stories of Jesus overturning tables at the Temple and having His authority questioned by the chief priests and elders :

The Fig Tree Withers
18Early in the morning, as he was on his way back to the city, he was hungry. 19Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, “May you never bear fruit again!” Immediately the tree withered.
20When the disciples saw this, they were amazed. “How did the fig tree wither so quickly?” they asked.
21Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and it will be done. 22If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.”
(Matthew 21:18-21)
So, my first response to this story is that is a metaphor of judgment. My NIV Study bible agrees with this. Because of this it is linked in my mind to the parable of the sheep and the goats later in Matthew 25:
The Sheep and the Goats
31“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. 32All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.
34“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
37“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
40“The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’
41“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’
44“They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’
45“He will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’
46“Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”
(Matthew 25:31-46)
It was interesting to me that when I read this passage I noticed that it also starts with Jesus coming (in glory) so it further suggests that the fig tree parable is about judgment day. So, in that light I’m thinking to myself, “Yikes!” In Matthew the tree withers immediately. Before moving on I also note another similarity between the fig tree and the sheep and goats stories: they both refer to what might be called good works. Why did Jesus smite the fig tree? Because it did not bear fruit. He was hungry and the fig tree did not feed Him. And what did the sheep do to be put at God’s right hand? They fed, gave drink to, gave hospitality to, clothed, healed and visited Jesus (the least of these brothers).

In Mark the parable of the fig is broken into two parts surrounding the cleansing of the temple:

Jesus Clears the Temple
12The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. 13Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. 14Then he said to the tree, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard him say it.
15On reaching Jerusalem, Jesus entered the temple area and began driving out those who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves, 16and would not allow anyone to carry merchandise through the temple courts. 17And as he taught them, he said, “Is it not written: “ ‘My house will be called
a house of prayer for all nations’[c]? But you have made it ‘a den of robbers.’[d]”
18The chief priests and the teachers of the law heard this and began looking for a way to kill him, for they feared him, because the whole crowd was amazed at his teaching.
19When evening came, they[e] went out of the city.
The Withered Fig Tree
20In the morning, as they went along, they saw the fig tree withered from the roots. 21Peter remembered and said to Jesus, “Rabbi, look! The fig tree you cursed has withered!”
22“Have[f] faith in God,” Jesus answered. 23“I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. 24Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. 25And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.”[g] (Mark 11: 12-25)
Now this gets more interesting in two ways. First, the fig tree has leaves out of season and second more time passes between the curse and the withering. And, the tree withers from the roots as if it were cut off from below where it is planted in the dirt, rather than deprived from above (sun and rain). I’m not sure what to make of the tree having leaves out of season, it almost seems unfair of Jesus to curse it for not having fruit when it’s not even supposed to have leaves. But the whole day passes before the tree is discovered withered, so it suggests to me that this reflects more time given by God before passing final judgment.

In both Matthew and Mark’s Gospels, which are the only two to relate the fig tree story as above, the disciples, typically, did not get it. They focused on the overt sign, the miracle. And Jesus does not say that this is a teaching about judgment, but goes along and gives a teaching about faith in both cases. In Mark the overt teaching is about faith and prayer and forgiveness. So, perhaps this is to soften the message of judgment and remind us that what we are to worry about is not judgment at the last day but how we conduct our relationships with God (prayer, faith) and each other (feed, heal, be compassionate) now. And in between make sure our temple is clean.

Luke does not have the story of Jesus withering the fig tree, but he does give another interesting parable about a fig tree:

1Now there were some present at that time who told Jesus about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mixed with their sacrifices. 2Jesus answered, “Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans because they suffered this way? 3I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish. 4Or those eighteen who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them - do you think they were more guilty than all the others living in Jerusalem? 5I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish.”
6Then he told this parable: “A man had a fig tree, planted in his vineyard, and he went to look for fruit on it, but did not find any. 7So he said to the man who took care of the vineyard, ‘For three years now I've been coming to look for fruit on this fig tree and haven't found any. Cut it down! Why should it use up the soil?’
8“ ‘Sir,’ the man replied, ‘leave it alone for one more year, and I'll dig around it and fertilize it. 9If it bears fruit next year, fine! If not, then cut it down.’ ”
(Luke 13:1-9)
In Luke this parable is placed right after his first passages about interpreting signs of the (end)times (Luke 12:35 “Be dressed ready for service and keep your lamps burning.” Luke 12:54 “When you see a cloud rising in the west, immediately you say, ‘It’s going to rain,’ and it does.”). I note that here not only did the tree get three years to bear fruit, it also gets yet another chance as the caretaker intercedes on its behalf and promises to give the tree special care so that it might yet bear fruit. It’s quite an amazing softening of the message in contrast to the immediate withering in Matthew.

According to my study NIV, Luke was most likely addressing the upper class of Romans and his Gospel aimed at the Gentiles. So this is interesting when compared to the Matthew, who supposedly was addressing primarily Greek-speaking Jews. I admit I have not read Luke as much as Matthew so I don’t have a good feel for Luke’s spin on the Message. However, there is a clear difference in the sense of urgency between the two. I know both Matthew and Luke are possibly based upon Mark, which was also directed to Gentile readers. Matthew, writing later than Mark, shortened the time between curse and consequence, making the judgment “at hand,” while Luke greatly lengthened it. The world had not literally ended with Jesus’ crucifixion and resurrection, so perhaps this meant that God was gong to give the world a second chance to repent, under the care of the Spirit. Luke, then, is the one to go on and give us Acts, the movement of the Gospel out into the World.

Luke mentions the fig tree once more, again in the context of Signs of the End of the Age:
25“There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea. 26Men will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken. 27At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. 28When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.”
29He told them this parable: “Look at the fig tree and all the trees. 30When they sprout leaves, you can see for yourselves and know that summer is near. 31Even so, when you see these things happening, you know that the kingdom of God is near.
32“I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. 33Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away. (Luke 21:25-32)

Here is my NIV study Bible definition of repent: “Repentance is more than a change of mind or feeling sorry for one’s sins. It is a radical and deliberate turning or returning to God.”

Well, this little study has greatly deepened my appreciation of the fig tree story, which is so easy to overlook.

cheers,
lunamoth

yes Lunamoth. you did a real nice job pulling this together. i noticed there was that difference on the fig tree also in the gospels. almost as if they saw it begin to wither right then and when they passed it the second time it had died at the root.
i also see it in a metaphor in judgment sense and i also see that in a parallel drawn as the fig tree in the last days.

one of my favorite teachings on the fig tree is in the budding of the fig tree and knowing that summer is nigh.

What i also find interesting is the Lords comment there right after the fig tree withered is he mentions faith without doubt to move mountains;) then i think he said you can do this to. so there really is a big lesson(s) of understanding there with fig tree.

Here is my NIV study Bible definition of repent: “Repentance is more than a change of mind or feeling sorry for one’s sins. It is a radical and deliberate turning or returning to God.”

Well, this little study has greatly deepened my appreciation of the fig tree story, which is so easy to overlook.
It has deepened my appreciation of the fig tree story also.
I could talk about this for quite some time.
But what is on the agenda for the next day in the timeline?

Glad you liked it, Bandit. I did it primarily for my own edification. Next up is Jesus Authority Questioned (quite a big topic), Jesus teaches in the Temple, and Jesus anointed. I put a bit about anointment in the Visit to the Tomb thread.

I have not spent much time studying across the four Gospels and I'm finding it very interesting.

Any takers on the above passages?

peace,
lunamoth

I think this is what we want. After this he goes into parables, not sure if you wanted all of those. John kind of leaves the questioning out.It is quite obvious that the authority here is very ignorant to what is going on with Jesus AND that of John the baptist.People really just do not believe. After all he did in miracles and teaching and casting out devils...it still just was not enough to get them to believe in the one true God. They are afraid of getting stoned by the people because there were a lot of people who did believe and loved Jesus.

He wont answer there silly question and tell them, because he already knows they still will not believe the authority is from God:) .

Matt 21:23 And when he was come into the temple, the chief priests and the elders of the people came unto him as he was teaching, and said, By what authority doest thou these things? and who gave thee this authority?
21:24And Jesus answered and said unto them, I also will ask you one thing, which if ye tell me, I in like wise will tell you by what authority I do these things.
21:25 The baptism of John, whence was it? from heaven, or of men? And they reasoned with themselves, saying, If we shall say, From heaven; he will say unto us, Why did ye not then believe him?
21:26 But if we shall say, Of men; we fear the people; for all hold John as a prophet.
21:27And they answered Jesus, and said, We cannot tell. And he said unto them, Neither tell I you by what authority I do these things.

Mark11:27 And they come again to Jerusalem: and as he was walking in the temple, there come to him the chief priests, and the scribes, and the elders,
11:28 And say unto him, By what authority doest thou these things? and who gave thee this authority to do these things?
11:29 And Jesus answered and said unto them, I will also ask of you one question, and answer me, and I will tell you by what authority I do these things.
11:30 The baptism of John, was it from heaven, or of men? answer me.
11:31 And they reasoned with themselves, saying, If we shall say, From heaven; he will say, Why then did ye not believe him?
11:32 But if we shall say, Of men; they feared the people: for all men counted John, that he was a prophet indeed.
11:33 And they answered and said unto Jesus, We cannot tell. And Jesus answering saith unto them, Neither do I tell you by what authority I do these things.

Luke 20:1 And it came to pass, that on one of those days, as he taught the people in the temple, and preached the gospel, the chief priests and the scribes came upon him with the elders,
20:2 And spake unto him, saying, Tell us, by what authority doest thou these things? or who is he that gave thee this authority?
20:3And he answered and said unto them, I will also ask you one thing; and answer me:
20:4 The baptism of John, was it from heaven, or of men?
20:5And they reasoned with themselves, saying, If we shall say, From heaven; he will say, Why then believed ye him not?
20:6But and if we say, Of men; all the people will stone us: for they be persuaded that John was a prophet.
20:7 And they answered, that they could not tell whence it was.
20:8And Jesus said unto them, Neither tell I you by what authority I do these things.

After all he did in miracles and teaching and casting out devils...it still just was not enough to get them to believe in the one true God.
While this is a true statement we need to remember that this was passover and that Jewish men from all over the world where coming to and in Jerusalem presenting themselves before God this week. They unlike the "locals" hadn't seen the miracles. As this week went on the crowd just got bigger.

Basstian said:
While this is a true statement we need to remember that this was passover and that Jewish men from all over the world where coming to and in Jerusalem presenting themselves before God this week. They unlike the "locals" hadn't seen the miracles. As this week went on the crowd just got bigger.

Yes. A lot of people were not there to see, but they may have remembered something about it from the previous years. I think the word was out though because this was at the end of his 3 1/2 year ministry. He was loved by so many and then there in the end so many rejected him and they denied him for who he truly is.

this is interesting, showing that he was in and out of there and I cant say for sure what day the scribes and priests confronted him. Maybe the second or third day?
And it came to pass, that on one of those days, as he taught the people in the temple, and preached the gospel,...

It certainly sounds like these passages might be in reference to a passover seder. Since the destruction of the second temple, we no longer have sacrifices of the pascal lamb. We do still eat unleavened bread, and there is still the seder feast. However, I am not familiar with how to read the gospels, and as a result I cannot construct a very clear picture of what is going on. I wish I could give you guys more clear ideas of what is going on.

I know this is a side note, but why do christians no longer observe the biblical holidays such as passover, rosh hashannah, and yom kippur?

The Last Supper

The first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread (from NIV Study Bible notes: The 14th of Nisan (March-April), it was also called the preparation of the Passover. The Passover meal was eaten the evening of teh 14th after sunset--and therefore technically on the 15th, since the Jewish day ended at sunset. The Feast of Unleavened Bread lasted seven days, from the 15th to the 21st of Nisan, but in the time of Christ the entire period, Nisan 14-21, was referred to under that name.

The Lord's Supper
17On the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Where do you want us to make preparations for you to eat the Passover?”
18He replied, “Go into the city to a certain man and tell him, ‘The Teacher says: My appointed time is near. I am going to celebrate the Passover with my disciples at your house.’ ” 19So the disciples did as Jesus had directed them and prepared the Passover.

20When evening came, Jesus was reclining at the table with the Twelve. 21And while they were eating, he said, “I tell you the truth, one of you will betray me.”

22They were very sad and began to say to him one after the other, “Surely not I, Lord?”

23Jesus replied, “The one who has dipped his hand into the bowl with me will betray me. 24The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born.”

25Then Judas, the one who would betray him, said, “Surely not I, Rabbi?”

Jesus answered, “Yes, it is you.”[a]

26While they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.”

27Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. 28This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. 29I tell you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it anew with you in my Father's kingdom.”

30When they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.
(Matthew 26:17-30)

The eucharist is always about mission, what we DO. It consists of taking, blessing, breaking and giving away. The Lamb of God.

peace,
lunamoth

NewAgeNerd said:
It certainly sounds like these passages might be in reference to a passover seder. Since the destruction of the second temple, we no longer have sacrifices of the pascal lamb. We do still eat unleavened bread, and there is still the seder feast. However, I am not familiar with how to read the gospels, and as a result I cannot construct a very clear picture of what is going on. I wish I could give you guys more clear ideas of what is going on.

I know this is a side note, but why do christians no longer observe the biblical holidays such as passover, rosh hashannah, and yom kippur?
hey NewAge. Glad you could join in:) .

Our church still obeserves passover between palm sunday and easter but the unleavened bread is held until October when....- yom kippur, we observe it but we do it the first week (sunday) of October along with a foot washing and communion service with unleavened bread. (i dont think all christians observe it this way and some call it Day of Atonement.)
Seeking forgiveness could be done on the spot at any time of year, and is held sometimes (and maybe more than once) during any given service of the year.

Rosh Hashanah is observed in our church on New Years Eve from 8pm to just after midnight (but it is not called that). It is done with testimonies of what the Lord has done for us over the year and what he will do for us in the following year, with some sweet food and other music and teaching. It is a very special service of the year and we are dismissed on our knees in prayer as the clock turns from midnight to the next day.

There is a sedar in our church that is held at one or two of the saints homes during Passover or sometime in spring. And anyone who wants to attend can go.

lunamoth said:
The Last Supper

The first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread (from NIV Study Bible notes: The 14th of Nisan (March-April), it was also called the preparation of the Passover. The Passover meal was eaten the evening of teh 14th after sunset--and therefore technically on the 15th, since the Jewish day ended at sunset. The Feast of Unleavened Bread lasted seven days, from the 15th to the 21st of Nisan, but in the time of Christ the entire period, Nisan 14-21, was referred to under that name.

The eucharist is always about mission, what we DO. It consists of taking, blessing, breaking and giving away. The Lamb of God.

peace,
lunamoth
Lunamoth, thanks for putting this up and staying on top of it. I appreciate it.
I may not be able to do every single one, but here are some of the other passages for those who may want to see. I dont want to jump ahead or get behind because things start to move real fast. I know it is impossible to cover everything, but we can touch the basic things.

You are doing a real nice job.:)

See also

Mark 14:12-21
John 13:1-16

Luke22:1 Now the feast of unleavened bread drew nigh, which is called the Passover.
{2-6 omitted}
22:7 Then came the day of unleavened bread, when the passover must be killed.
22:8 And he sent Peter and John, saying, Go and prepare us the passover, that we may eat.
22:9 And they said unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare?
22:10 And he said unto them, Behold, when ye are entered into the city, there shall a man meet you, bearing a pitcher of water; follow him into the house where he entereth in.
22:11 And ye shall say unto the goodman of the house, The Master saith unto thee, Where is the guestchamber, where I shall eat the passover with my disciples?
22:12 And he shall shew you a large upper room furnished: there make ready.
22:13 And they went, and found as he had said unto them: and they made ready the passover.
22:14 And when the hour was come, he sat down, and the twelve apostles with him.
22:15 And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer:
22:16 For I say unto you, I will not any more eat thereof, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God.
22:17 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves:
22:18 For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come.
22:19 And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.
22:20 Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.
22:21 But, behold, the hand of him that betrayeth me is with me on the table.
22:22 And truly the Son of man goeth, as it was determined: but woe unto that man by whom he is betrayed!

NewAgeNerd said:

He, he, but we do! What is called yom kippur for example, some Christian faiths call Confirmation. It is done between the ages of 12 and 14, and implies that the child has now come to the age of ascention. (now considered a young adult). Passover is part of the Christian Easter.

As for the birth of Adam and Eve, I know we all should celebrate this, but literally we do not, unless you consider the New Years' Eve (of the calendar year) part of that.

As for your question about how to read the Gospels. I can tell you this, each Gospel was designed for a particular mindset. Matthew I believe was written to appeal to Jewish believers, Mark, for the Romans, Luke (the physician) for the Greeks (Hellenistic), and John is for the common man (like me) ;)

I hope that helps you, the way you have definitely helped here Newage. :D

v/r

Q

Jesus' arrest and trial

This being a day ahead of schedule, I think it is ok to put up now, because we will all be busy over the weekend to do the whole study. Which is fine by me. (we can pick it up a later date)

I think this is showing Jesus to fulfill the scriptures. The kiss and betrayal of Judas, the disciples could not stay awake with him in previous verses. If they had known who Jesus was, they would not have crucified him. But it had to be this way.

26:46 Rise, let us be going: behold, he is at hand that doth betray me.
26:47 And while he yet spake, lo, Judas, one of the twelve, came, and with him a great multitude with swords and staves, from the chief priests and elders of the people.
26:48 Now he that betrayed him gave them a sign, saying, Whomsoever I shall kiss, that same is he: hold him fast.
26:49 And forthwith he came to Jesus, and said, Hail, master; and kissed him.
26:50 And Jesus said unto him, Friend, wherefore art thou come? Then came they, and laid hands on Jesus and took him.
26:51 And, behold, one of them which were with Jesus stretched out his hand, and drew his sword, and struck a servant of the high priest's, and smote off his ear.
26:52 Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.
26:53 Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels?
26:54 But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be?
26:55 In that same hour said Jesus to the multitudes, Are ye come out as against a thief with swords and staves for to take me? I sat daily with you teaching in the temple, and ye laid no hold on me.
26:56 But all this was done, that the scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled. Then all the disciples forsook him, and fled.
Later we see that Peter stayed with Jesus but he was at a distance. I feel Peter had to do this and even deny him 3 times, otherwise he may have been crucified with Jesus. I also believe it was Peter who stood up for Jesus and stood up for his friend there in the garden when the sword was drawn.

Then they did terrible undeserving things to Jesus when he was before Caiaphas. They charged him with death. Two false witnesses came forward.
We still see this today in many countries, where people are arrested with unfair trials and executed, for the simple reason they claim Jesus is there Lord and Savior.

26:57 And they that had laid hold on Jesus led him away to Caiaphas the high priest, where the scribes and the elders were assembled.
26:58 But Peter followed him afar off unto the high priest's palace, and went in, and sat with the servants, to see the end.
26:59 Now the chief priests, and elders, and all the council, sought false witness against Jesus, to put him to death;
26:60 But found none: yea, though many false witnesses came, yet found they none. At the last came two false witnesses,
26:61 And said, This fellow said, I am able to destroy the temple of God, and to build it in three days.
26:62 And the high priest arose, and said unto him, Answerest thou nothing? what is it which these witness against thee?
26:63 But Jesus held his peace, And the high priest answered and said unto him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God.
26:64 Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.
26:65 Then the high priest rent his clothes, saying, He hath spoken blasphemy; what further need have we of witnesses? behold, now ye have heard his blasphemy.
26:66 What think ye? They answered and said, He is guilty of death.
26:67 Then did they spit in his face, and buffeted him; and others smote him with the palms of their hands,
26:68 Saying, Prophesy unto us, thou Christ, Who is he that smote thee?

...before Pilate...

I am just putting up these few scritpures up from Matthew. anyone can add to it with there favorite and share in the understanding of what was going to happen.

Jesus really did take on that of a gentle lamb in the trial. he could have easily escaped all these things and he would hardly speak to them, because he knew no matter what he would say, they still would not believe.

Jesus really did lay down his life for us because he loved us and wanted to show us how much that God loves us too. Jesus is the Lamb of God who taketh away the sins of the world.:)

27:1 When the morning was come, all the chief priests and elders of the people took counsel against Jesus to put him to death:
27:2 And when they had bound him, they led him away, and delivered him to Pontius Pilate the governor. {3-10 omitted} 27:11 And Jesus stood before the governor: and the governor asked him, saying, Art thou the King of the Jews? And Jesus said unto him, Thou sayest.
27:12 And when he was accused of the chief priests and elders, he answered nothing.
27:13 Then said Pilate unto him, Hearest thou not how many things they witness against thee?
27:14 And he answered him to never a word; insomuch that the governor marvelled greatly.
27:15 Now at that feast the governor was wont to release unto the people a prisoner, whom they would.
27:16 And they had then a notable prisoner, called Barabbas.
27:17 Therefore when they were gathered together, Pilate said unto them, Whom will ye that I release unto you? Barabbas, or Jesus which is called Christ?
I believe this was Pilates wife here saying not to have anything to do with this just man. It is obvious to me, the men in authority were envious and afraid, that what they were seeing was a threat to there earthly positions as rulers. So they tried passing the blame onto others just so they could get rid of Jesus, through persuading the crowds.

27:18 For he knew that for envy they had delivered him.
27:19 When he was set down on the judgment seat, his wife sent unto him, saying, Have thou nothing to do with that just man: for I have suffered many things this day in a dream because of him.
27:20 But the chief priests and elders persuaded the multitude that they should ask Barabbas, and destroy Jesus.

Psalm 22

1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?

Why are you so far from saving me,

so far from the words of my groaning?

2 O my God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer,

by night, and am not silent.

3 Yet you are enthroned as the Holy One;

you are the praise of Israel. [a]

4 In you our fathers put their trust;

they trusted and you delivered them.

5 They cried to you and were saved;

in you they trusted and were not disappointed.

45 From the sixth hour until the ninth hour darkness came over all the land.

46 About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eloi, Eloi,[a] lama sabachthani?”–which means, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”

(Matthew 27:45-46)

Matt27:54 Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God.
John29 Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a spunge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth.
30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.
31 The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

19:32 Then came the soldiers, and brake the legs of the first, and of the other which was crucified with him.
33 But when they came to Jesus, and saw that he was dead already, they brake not his legs:
34 But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water.
35 And he that saw it bare record, and his record is true: and he knoweth that he saith true, that ye might believe.

36 For these things were done, that the scripture should be fulfilled, A bone of him shall not be broken.
37 And again another scripture saith, They shall look on him whom they pierced.
and some of the prophecy is here:

Ps 22:16
16 For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.

Ps 22:18
18 They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.

Ps 34:20
20 He keepeth all his bones: not one of them is broken.

Ps 69:21
21 They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.

Isa 53:7-12
7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.
8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.
9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.
10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.
11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.
12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

Bandit said:
Ps 69:21
21 They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.
I note here that if at any point Jesus was shown any proximity of "kindness" by His executioners (the Roman Guard), this was it.

Gall, in this case was a numbing agent, and the vinegar was not used to quench thirst, but was used to cut the mucus build up in the mouth and throat, and reduce swelling of glands and tissues.

A primitive type of moriphine, and a means of keeping the punished from asphyxiating immediately due to blockage of the air passage.

Why do this? This type of punishment was meant to go on for days, to set an example to the rest of what could happen to them. Psychological programming for the masses. I wouldn't due if the convicted died too quickly, as the death would pass just as quickly from the minds of most who witnessed.

In Jesus' case as we learn later on (mostly by inferrence) at least one of His Roman Guards did not believe He should be hanging there.

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
I note here that if at any point Jesus was shown any proximity of "kindness" by His executioners (the Roman Guard), this was it.

Gall, in this case was a numbing agent, and the vinegar was not used to quench thirst, but was used to cut the mucus build up in the mouth and throat, and reduce swelling of glands and tissues.

A primitive type of moriphine, and a means of keeping the punished from asphyxiating immediately due to blockage of the air passage.

Why do this? This type of punishment was meant to go on for days, to set an example to the rest of what could happen to them. Psychological programming for the masses. I wouldn't due if the convicted died too quickly, as the death would pass just as quickly from the minds of most who witnessed.

In Jesus' case as we learn later on (mostly by inferrence) at least one of His Roman Guards did not believe He should be hanging there.

v/r

Q
Very Nice post Quahom.
I see a reflection of this in your new avatar which I like a lot.:)

I wont be on until late sunday or monday. I will put some more up then. So anyone who wants to continue with the burial and resurrection of the Lord Jesus is much obliged.

The blood that Jesus shed for me,

Way back on Calvary;

It's that blood that gives me strength from day to day,
It will never lose its power.
It soothes my doubts and calms my fears,

And it dries all, all my tears.

It reaches to the highest mountain.

It flows to the lowest valley.

The blood that gives me strength from day to day,

It will never lose its power.

Back