The Death Burial and Resurrection of the Lord Jesus -Palm Sunday & Easter

Well, we certainly can't end this thread without the good news. :)

Matthew 28

The Resurrection

1After the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to look at the tomb.
2There was a violent earthquake, for an angel of the Lord came down from heaven and, going to the tomb, rolled back the stone and sat on it. 3His appearance was like lightning, and his clothes were white as snow. 4The guards were so afraid of him that they shook and became like dead men.

5The angel said to the women, “Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. 6He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay. 7Then go quickly and tell his disciples: ‘He has risen from the dead and is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him.’ Now I have told you.”

8So the women hurried away from the tomb, afraid yet filled with joy, and ran to tell his disciples. 9Suddenly Jesus met them. “Greetings,” he said. They came to him, clasped his feet and worshiped him. 10Then Jesus said to them, “Do not be afraid. Go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee; there they will see me.”

Peace,
lunamoth

lunamoth said:
Well, we certainly can't end this thread without the good news. :)

Peace,
lunamoth
He, he, he, But it isn't the end...It's only the beginning...;)

v/r

Q

We have forgotten something terribly significant about the cruxifiction of Jesus. Man helped Jesus carry the cross...what does that mean? What was the significance of man helping Jesus to carry the cross?

No angel came to assist. A man walked the last third of the death walk with Jesus, and yes, carried the burden of the cross for Him. Why?

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
We have forgotten something terribly significant about the cruxifiction of Jesus. Man helped Jesus carry the cross...what does that mean? What was the significance of man helping Jesus to carry the cross?

No angel came to assist. A man walked the last third of the death walk with Jesus, and yes, carried the burden of the cross for Him. Why?

v/r

Q

I am not sure why Q. I know in one place Jesus said take up your cross and follow me...IOW, not a literal cross, but somehow we partake when we follow and do his will.

but here is is where Simon helped Jesus carry it.

Matthew 27:32
32 And as they were coming out, they found a man of Cyrene named Simon, whom they pressed into service to bear His cross.

Here is part of Peters first sermon. the part of the death burial and resurrection and how he would not see corruption:)

Acts2:23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:
2:24 Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.
2:25 For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved:
2:26 Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope:
2:27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
2:28 Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt make me full of joy with thy countenance.
2:29 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.
2:30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;
2:31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.
2:32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.
2:33 Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.

Bandit said:
I am not sure why Q. I know in one place Jesus said take up your cross and follow me...IOW, not a literal cross, but somehow we partake when we follow and do his will.

but here is is where Simon helped Jesus carry it.
I read your post about what was said in Acts. ;)

Something still bothers me about Simon carrying Jesus' cross with Him (or for Him). No angel assisted, but man did...why? You stated "Jesus said take up your cross and follow me"...but man was carrying Jesus' cross for Him. And we are back to the thirds again. Jesus walked and fell (presumably at the first third of the trek to Golgotha), then fell again at 2/3rds of the way, wherein Simon was pressed into service for the remainder of the trek.

There is something of significance of this part of the story that I think has been ignored. Nothing happens to chance with God. There is meaning in everything that occurs.

v/r

Q

You know what struck me hardest when I watched The Passion of the Christ during the part where Simon was called to help Jesus carry the cross? When Simon said something like.. "I want it known that I, an innocent man, carry the cross of a guilty man." !!! It was very hard for me because Jesus was the only true innocent man carrying the cross for all men.

Ive never thought about the fact that a man helped Jesus carry the cross.. it definitely is thought provoking and I agree that The bible is full of multiple meanings so why should this not have one. I will be praying for discernment on this and I hope others will as well and post anything they come up with because I believe it will be awesome whatever it is.

i dont know. i wonder if that has something to do with Jesus helping us carry the cross.
then it seems there might be something in there about each of us carrying our own cross. but not sure. that may have been a sermon.
as he did carry it, but someone helped him. i am thinking of an old hymn BURDENS ARE LIFTED AT CALVARY
&
CARRY THE CROSS ALL THE WAY.

then there is the old favorite.

THE OLD RUGGED CROSS

On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,
The emblem of suffering and shame;
And I love that old cross where the dearest and best
For a world of lost sinners was slain.

O that old rugged cross, so despised by the world,
Has a wondrous attraction for me;
For the dear Lamb of God left His glory above
To bear it to dark Calvary.

In that old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine,
A wondrous beauty I see,
For 'twas on that old cross Jesus suffered and died,
To pardon and sanctify me.

chorus
So I'll cherish the old rugged cross,
Till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
And exchange it some day for a crown.

To the old rugged cross I will ever be true;
Its shame and reproach gladly bear;
Then He'll call me some day to my home far away,
Where His glory forever I'll share.

I appreciate your thoughts, but this is irrefuteable. In the hour of Jesus' need, man helped Him, or did something important for Him. I don't know how to look at this. Man burdened himself for Jesus' sake, if only for a little while, and certainly not for the long haul. But it was man who came to the aid of Jesus, not an angel, nor anyone else. Or maybe man did not come to Jesus' aid. Maybe God allowed us to partake in the pain that was to come.

no, that makes no sense.

I can find no reference, for this.

:(

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
I appreciate your thoughts, but this is irrefuteable. In the hour of Jesus' need, man helped Him, or did something important for Him. I don't know how to look at this. Man burdened himself for Jesus' sake, if only for a little while, and certainly not for the long haul. But it was man who came to the aid of Jesus, not an angel, nor anyone else. Or maybe man did not come to Jesus' aid. Maybe God allowed us to partake in the pain that was to come.

no, that makes no sense.

I can find no reference, for this.

:(

v/r

Q
there were angels giving him strength when he was on the cross.
well, when it comes to you be sure to let me know. Jesus said this right after he gave Peter the keys to the Kingdom.

Matt16:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
16:25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.
16:26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

Hi Q, I don't have any insight for you excpet to point out that the three Gospels Matt, Mark and Luke all say that Simon was forced to carry the cross. Perhaps it has more to do with our own culpability in the crucifixion.

The Crucifixion

21A certain man from Cyrene, Simon, the father of Alexander and Rufus, was passing by on his way in from the country, and they forced him to carry the cross. 22They brought Jesus to the place called Golgotha (which means The Place of the Skull). 23Then they offered him wine mixed with myrrh, but he did not take it. 24And they crucified him. Dividing up his clothes, they cast lots to see what each would get.
25It was the third hour when they crucified him. 26The written notice of the charge against him read: THE KING OF THE JEWS. 27They crucified two robbers with him, one on his right and one on his left.[a] 29Those who passed by hurled insults at him, shaking their heads and saying, “So! You who are going to destroy the temple and build it in three days, 30come down from the cross and save yourself!”

31In the same way the chief priests and the teachers of the law mocked him among themselves. “He saved others,” they said, “but he can't save himself! 32Let this Christ, this King of Israel, come down now from the cross, that we may see and believe.” Those crucified with him also heaped insults on him.

(Mark 15)

I've also been stuck by the comparison between the disciples who wanted to be on Jesus' right and left in His kingdom and the robbers who were crucified on His right and left.

The Request of James and John

35Then James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came to him. “Teacher,” they said, “we want you to do for us whatever we ask.”
36“What do you want me to do for you?” he asked.

37They replied, “Let one of us sit at your right and the other at your left in your glory.”

38“You don't know what you are asking,” Jesus said. “Can you drink the cup I drink or be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with?”

39“We can,” they answered. Jesus said to them, “You will drink the cup I drink and be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with, 40but to sit at my right or left is not for me to grant. These places belong to those for whom they have been prepared.”
41When the ten heard about this, they became indignant with James and John. 42Jesus called them together and said, “You know that those who are regarded as rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. 43Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, 44and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. 45For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
(Mark 10)

39One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: “Aren't you the Christ? Save yourself and us!”

40But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don't you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? 41We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”

42Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.[f]”

43Jesus answered him, “I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.”

(Luke 23)

peace,
lunamoth

I GOT IT! :D I understand the meaning, of why man carried Jesus' cross for Him...and you paved the way. Thank you very much.

Bandit Quote: From the Thread called The Dead -

then the other, it is like dying to the flesh because he says I DIE DAILY.

there is another place where Paul makes mention of being baptized with Christ. Being baptized-being buried with Christ & if we are buried with him, we shall also be resurected with him.
Jesus was saying - "man, I do this for you" (I die for you, for eternity), "will you do this for me?" (carry my cross for a little while).

Simon, was reluctant at first to help Jesus, but then he took most of the load for the remainder of the journey.

Its like new Christians, who after awhile find out, it isn't all roses and perfect being one. It hurts, and there is work, and pain, and then end doesn't always look bright. But it is a small price to pay compared to the reward a faithful and steadfast (and determined) Christian will receive.

If Christ gives us a cross to carry (or perhaps I should say "when"), we should carry it with great resolve, and humbleness. For we only carry it for a short while, and only part of the distance, before it is lifted from our shoulders and backs. He finished the job, to the end.

Hence He created a new beginning. No angel did that. No angel carried the burden for Christ either. Man did.

Now I also understand why man's status changes concerning angels and our respective relationships with God.

BTW:

Matt16:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

How or why did Jesus make this statement, before He was actually hung on one? Did He really expect his disciples to understand what was to come? Or did He do it to ensure they would reflect on His words later, after the fact?

Yeah, I know I'm slow. But I will figure things out eventually...:D

v/r

Q

Last edited:
Quahom1 said:
I GOT IT! :D I understand the meaning, of why man carried Jesus' cross for Him...and you paved the way. Thank you very much.

Bandit Quote: From the Thread called The Dead -

Jesus was saying - "man, I do this for you" (I die for you, for eternity), "will you do this for me?" (carry my cross for a little while).

Simon, was reluctant at first to help Jesus, but then he took most of the load for the remainder of the journey.

Its like new Christians, who after awhile find out, it isn't all roses and perfect being one. It hurts, and there is work, and pain, and then end doesn't always look bright. But it is a small price to pay compared to the reward a faithful and steadfast (and determined) Christian will receive.

If Christ gives us a cross to carry (or perhaps I should say "when"), we should carry it with great resolve, and humbleness. For we only carry it for a short while, and only part of the distance, before it is lifted from our shoulders and backs. He finished the job, to the end.

Hence He created a new beginning. No angel did that. No angel carried the burden for Christ either. Man did.

Now I also understand why man's status changes concerning angels and our respective relationships with God.

BTW:

How or why did Jesus make this statement, before He was actually hung on one? Did He really expect his disciples to understand what was to come? Or did He do it to ensure they would reflect on His words later, after the fact?

Yeah, I know I'm slow. But I will figure things out eventually...:D

v/r

Q
i dont think the disciples truly did understand what would happen, but like you say, later they would reflect on it & even today we are wondering about it.
are we helping Jesus carry his cross? that is what makes us a part of him & kind of seperates us from the world.
when the world does not care, WE want to carry it all the way.

it is a very different statement Q.

then in another place he speaks and says...

IF I BE LIFTED UP I WILL DRAW ALL MEN UNTO ME.

there is like a double meaning there also. He was lifted up on a cross, but we lift him also in our lives & speech & praise & honor, because Jesus is the risen Lord:)
when we do this, he does draw us closer to him!

Back