Jesus' use of spit to heal

Well, that drew some controversy huh? :) I knew this would be a live one but I didn't expect to be called a blasphemer. That was a little harsh. But it's alright. It must have been my reference to pagan practices that brought that on.

I wasn't saying Jesus was a pagan, however, by today's standards if we could see some of the things Jesus did we might think that. I'm sure spittle and mud were only a couple of the array of techniques Jesus used. This is fine with me. Apparently doesn't sit well with others.

Like I said some controversy is good. I like these examples because they are very realistic. It's funny to me that verses out of the Bible will be jeered by christians as heretical and blasphemous if spoken by a person they don't see as "christian", when the examples sited are right in the book.

didymus said:
Well, that drew some controversy huh? :) I knew this would be a live one but I didn't expect to be called a blasphemer. That was a little harsh. But it's alright. It must have been my reference to pagan practices that brought that on.

I wasn't saying Jesus was a pagan, however, by today's standards if we could see some of the things Jesus did we might think that. I'm sure spittle and mud were only a couple of the array of techniques Jesus used. This is fine with me. Apparently doesn't sit well with others.

Like I said some controversy is good. I like these examples because they are very realistic. It's funny to me that verses out of the Bible will be jeered by christians as heretical and blasphemous if spoken by a person they don't see as "christian", when the examples sited are right in the book.
well i dont see anything funny about it at all. if you want to talk about jesus and pagan practices then yes I find it very offensive and blaspheming.
you always fail to bring ALL the scripture to light and would rather focus on spit and mud as a techinique for healing instead of the power of God along with all the other healings and miracles which did not have anything to do with SPIT.

it is not funny
but i am so glad that you think it is funny...so funny you can laugh yourself to sleep

Bandit, get a grip man. You do realize that I only pointed these verses out right? I have read on more than one occasion of healings that were performed in those days using spit and mud. I ddn't make this up. Why do you direct your anger towards me? Do you see that I didn't come up with the idea myself, I didn't invent some tale to make Jesus look bad. If the sources that I saw stating that these healing methods were used were wrong, then gee whiz, I'm sorry.

Are we supposed to be quiet and only say things about Jesus that won't arouse any type of thought or emotion contrary to what we would hear in a church? If we read something in plain english are we not allowed to ask a question about it? Are we not allowed to read other books about healing and when similarities are found, inquire about them?

That is not being honest with oneself. If you don't want to ask these questions then I can accept that but don't accuse me of being a blasphemer. I will continue to ask these questions and I believe that in God's eyes these are perfectly acceptable. I mean, let's get real here, do you think God will punish somebody for sincerely asking and inquiring about Jesus. I think God is bigger and more compassionate than that.

Bandit said:
well i dont see anything funny about it at all. if you want to talk about jesus and pagan practices then yes I find it very offensive and blaspheming.
you always fail to bring ALL the scripture to light and would rather focus on spit and mud as a techinique for healing instead of the power of God along with all the other healings and miracles which did not have anything to do with SPIT.

it is not funny
but i am so glad that you think it is funny...so funny you can laugh yourself to sleep
Jesus NEVER spit on anyone. I think we all agree here on this point. What Jesus did do, was use saliva while in the performance of some of His healing functions, as well as dirt, and other things from time to time. This all is spelled out succinctly in scripture, thus no way around it.

What are also facts from scripture is that Jesus did go to Egypt, spent time there as a child and then came back at the all clear sign from God the Father. Jesus did amaze and astound the learned scholars of the temple, at the tender age of 12, by His wisdom, and "knowledge", which is not discussed in detail, because the moral of that story was, obey and honor your parents, plus we have a hint as to precisely when Jesus "knew" his mission here on earth.

If there are raw nerves here, let's stop grinding on them.

No harm, no foul. ;)

v/r

Q

I did some brief research on the net and found that spit does have healing properties. Amazing that they knew this way back then. It appears that Jesus was not the only one to use this technique in those days.

I am not blind. I can read what people say.
Jesus' spit does NOT make blind eyes see

Quahom1 said:
...and a kind word turns away wrath...
yes Q. kind loving flowering words.

I will leave this topic and nothing more to add,
with these questions for consideration of all.

do we give the glory to God for the great things He has done or do we give it to spittle and mud?

was it the spit that was used as a healing agent?
or is it the power of God that heals all disease and sickness?

Bandit said:
yes Q. kind loving flowering words.

I will leave this topic and nothing more to add,
with these questions for consideration of all.

do we give the glory to God for the great things He has done or do we give it to spittle and mud?

was it the spit that was used as a healing agent?
or is it the power of God that heals all disease and sickness?
We give glory to God for everything, including spittle and mud, because HE made them for us. Through the spit of our Savior, God healed people. Just like my saving peoples' lives in the job that I do...that is God using me as a tool to do His will. Call me the spit of God...I don't mind. It is that simple. ;)

v/r

Q

Has anyone read the passages in Mark?

Mark 7: 33- 35; After he took him aside, away from the crowd, Jesus put his fingers into the man's ears. Then he spit and touched the man's tongue. He looked up to heaven and with a deep sigh said to him, "Ephphatha!" At this, the man's ears were opened, his tongue was loosened and he began to speak plainly.

Could kinda of see how that worked...

17th plods off to the doctors.. his throat was very "raw" and could not speak.......

Doc: Oh!! Hey teh 17th have a seat plz okthx$113$!! lolz!1/1!
17th: *hands him a note... 'sore throat, cannot speak.'
Doc: Yeah... I can fix that no probelms teh 17th!!
*Doc brings flem from the back of his throat and spits on 17th's face*
Doc: lol'z!!11//1! Your cured!

Now what is the next logical step in this drama piece? Me being fairly calm and having patience and alot of tolerance... In this occassion I would snap wouldn't it... In a fit of pure rage and scream at the blagard for spitting on me... Hence I can speak :D

Of course, Jesus was limited in His healing because of various instances of unbelief. I think healing is a two way street, involving trust of the part of the one wanting the healing. It is interesting to note a particular instance when Jesus unintentionally healed someone:

"And a woman having an issue of blood twelve years, which had spent all her living upon physicians, neither could be healed of any,

Came behind him, and touched the border of his garment: and immediately her issue of blood stanched.
And Jesus said, Who touched me? When all denied, Peter and they that were with him said, Master, the multitude throng thee and press thee, and sayest thou, Who touched me?
And Jesus said, Somebody hath touched me: for I perceive that virtue is gone out of me.
And when the woman saw that she was not hid, she came trembling, and falling down before him, she declared unto him before all the people for what cause she had touched him, and how she was healed immediately. And he said unto her, Daughter, be of good comfort: thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace." - Luke 8:43-48

Evidently, it was this woman's faith alone that healed her, for Jesus did not have any knowledge of the woman except that He perceived that virtue went out of Him. Yet, the Holy Spirit within Jesus knew.

Back