How did you choose?

Geist

I am oblivion
Reaction score
How did you choose what religion you are a member of?

I have no religion currently because I have never found one that suits my beliefs so what about everyone else?

I was born into mine :) Christened before I could even make the conscious choice. However thousands of years of social and religious evolution says that's how it goes and I respect it and follow it.

I haven't found one that suits my beliefs either. Sounds like you aren't just a follower.

I have found a group to worship with, though. We are in likeness of spirit and that is what matters to me right now. I have been with quite a few groups and now religion is universal to me. Usually,once I become aware of the politics of the church, or the 'zealots' want to come to welcome me in thier very own 'choking' way, my stay is often short lived. I'm not really a recluse but my communion with God is really important to me. I'm sure you have something very special to contribute to a group and hopefully you will look for a group that can make that shine in you.

Postmaster said:
I was born into mine :) Christened before I could even make the conscious choice. However thousands of years of social and religious evolution says that's how it goes and I respect it and follow it.
Doesn't that annoy you? The fact that they never gave you a choice in the matter just bunged you into it without any concideration whatsoever.

truthseeker said:
I'm sure you have something very special to contribute to a group and hopefully you will look for a group that can make that shine in you.
But I don't have any special qualites. I'm just me and my opinions.

Doesn't that annoy you? The fact that they never gave you a choice in the matter just bunged you into it without any concideration whatsoever.
By the time I discover which religion is right for me I'd probably not make up my mind before I die. It's also a social thing too I suppose. Obviously I have a choice now, I can even reject my religion, we know of people in our community that have became Jehovah's Witness, obviously shocked our family but never rejected them, we also have homosexuals in our family and we don't reject them, we only disagree. Christianity as a social and spiritual religion is very great if practised properly. One mans word of peace, love and order is all you need. Same can be said for a lot of religions. We need miracles Christianity has thousands of documented, one's even recognised by the Vatican would be http://www.fatima.org/, We need wise words we have the bible, we need a place of worship, there's one everywhere. It's not possible for so many people to be irrational and unwise in choosing religion. Thousands of years ago people like Socrates tried to explain life without a creator figure and they haven't been as popular as religious leaders. Happiness is a foundation of all religions I believe, optimism and hope. You just give a bit of your own to religion and it will return 3 times as much. After all, all we need is happiness and material things won't bring us true happiness for us.

Geist said:
How did you choose what religion you are a member of?

I have no religion currently because I have never found one that suits my beliefs so what about everyone else?
well Geist, you can always start your own religion. That seems to be very trendy these days.

I do not belong to any organized religion but I do have a wonderful home church, bible believing and teaching the Gospel of the Lord Jesus. Oh but I have been around the block with quite of few religions over the years, because I wanted to understand what they are trying to say.
However, I wont leave the bible or my Savior Jesus for anything that teaches something different.

Geist said:
But I don't have any special qualites. I'm just me and my opinions.

That's all any of us are, Geist. I'm sure there is a special quality to your opinions, which make up who you are. I would just like to encourage you to be blessed spiritually - You don't have to kill yourself or other people to be productive on this planet. In the homosexuality section, you sounded really anthropologic - not that I really want to place labels on you. Kind of like Universal Unitarianism (I think that's what it's called). Nonetheless, you are in a developmental stage. Take your time - there is plenty when seeking the right path for yourself. Then you will find that you have been on the right path all along...

Well said Truthseeker. Being in a state of flux is actually a very holy and blessed place to be Geist, because you come to whatever truth or power there might be for you in this universe with empty hands and an open heart. Only good can come of this, because as the Christians say, "If I ask the Father for a loaf would he give me a stone?" As long as you seek sincerely, and listen mindfully I believe there will be guidance for you to follow. In ACIM it is said "If you knew who walked beside you on your journey through life, fear would be impossible"

I won't bore you with my own journey, but it has been varied and rewarding. I have no doubt that you will find the same.

Peace and light

Geist said:
Indeed, if no hat fits, wear no hat... :)

Or if you can't decide which hat one looks best, wear them in rotation or all at once. :)

Happy Purim (a bit late), Easter, Ostara, and any other spring holiday to all!

... Bruce

Geist-

it can take a long, long time to find a religious tradition you feel at home with. also, you may find a tradition and grow apart from it spiritually over a period of time. just keep your options open, and keep looking, if you really want to find an organized spiritual home. it's also ok to believe and do one's own thing independent of a faith tradition. that's what i did for years ("spiritual but not religious"). keep researching and looking and praying (if you feel ok with prayer). best of luck, Geist!

Though I don't necessarily think of spirituality as membership in religion (kind of a scary thought really and definitely limiting) I believe I understand what you're asking. As a kid, I guess for me there was no choice at all, but rather a cultural imperative. My mom used to drag me to church. End of story. It wasn't until college that I began to ponder in earnest what was meant by that conspicuous term Christian. That's when I actually chose Christ for myself as my spiritual guide. No doubt my own path was rife with cultural influences. Bottom line for me the name of the game is to elevate the inner man/woman beyond the level of the physical, the emotional, or intellectual. Reading, praying, meditating, even wandering can offer enormous insight into that spirit being that resides within us all. I've found that when I am at peace, i.e., intimately connected with the will of God for my life, I can truly discern the voice of the Divine. I can see. I believe God hears everyone regardless of belief. So I guess my final two cents would be to pray for those answers which, after all, only you can know.

take care,
O.

Ontologue said:
So I guess my final two cents would be to pray for those answers which, after all, only you can know
In all honesty I've tried being a Christian. Didn't fit me, I prayed for answers, I went to priests and the Bible nothing came from it so I didn't bother again.

I'm still looking...probably because we weren't really brought up in any religion...Dad was a seeker...I don't know if he ever found what he was looking for, though...Mom was what we call a "serial Catholic" (as opposed to a serious Catholic!)...went to church only for christenings, first communions and weddings...(she would have gone to funeral masses, but she was so afraid of death, she didn't even want to draw up a will...) Both of them recently passed away...I think I'm a Christian...(my daughter is, and she has this unshakable faith, which I really wonder about, seeing that she is only 4 and that I'm really "undecided" about religion...) ...but, maybe I lean towards Christianity mostly because it is what I'm most familiar with...

Interesting thread.

Like Postmaster, I was born into mine. But they tried to stuff so much of it down my throat as a youngster, and "chastised" me (to put it mildly), for asking questions, that I threw it away. (think of the 1950s and 60s mentality). I kept the very base core of it though, because inside I believed that part to be true. Then over the years, I learned to defend myself against overzealous preachers, when I asked questions. I must admit I was a stone wall when they tried to put me in my place. But then they started to answer me, sometimes with crystal clarity, sometimes with muddied water, and sometimes with an "I just don't know". That's when I realized that my religion was acceptable to me. There is beauty in it I haven't found anywhere else. Some of it I take with a grain of salt, or blow off completely, but most of it holds a truth that strikes a resonate chord within.

Religion though I find is like sand in one's hand...hold it with flat palms and the wind will wick it away, squeeze it in fists and it just sifts through the fingers. Cup it easy, and the whole of it remains.

my two cents.

v/r

Q

ISFP said:
it can take a long, long time to find a religious tradition you feel at home with. also, you may find a tradition and grow apart from it spiritually over a period of time.
...it's also ok to believe and do one's own thing independent of a faith tradition. that's what i did for years ("spiritual but not religious").

And that is so true. Some people fall into the thing that they know and don't feel the need to look any further. The reason why I am a truthseeker is because religion has been used to conquer and control; my spirituality is so important to me that I want it to be controlled only by the influence of the Supreme Being - be He called God, Jehovah, Allah - so be it. Nonetheless I counsel with others so as to not get puffed up on my own understanding and lose the path of the travel.

brucegbc said:
Or if you can't decide which hat one looks best, wear them in rotation or all at once.:)

I agree with that as well. I believe everybody has a point. I don't believe all the mysteries are satisfied in the New Testament. We all have pieces to the puzzle. As we come to understand eachother, the pieces are being fitted.

I learnt something a while ago and I think its the reason why I have no religion so far. I figured out to me life is a series of accidents and through making mistakes I learn whats right and whats not right. I also believe that I haven't found a relgion simmiler to this otherwise I would not be posting this. Does it make sense to anyone here??

Salaam to all

I,Brian reply
Indeed, if no hat fits, wear no hat... :)
nice answer ...I add my point ...u can put all hats ...and observe them to see the suitable one to u.
I'm born muslim ,also I search about the truth about my religion and the wisdom behind each teaching in Islam...and I believe that it is my right worship and persuasive faith path...I didn't evaluate my religion according to the people whom follow Islam ,but according to the original references because people always apply their perception and thoughts which may wrong .

Geist said:
I learnt something a while ago and I think its the reason why I have no religion so far. I figured out to me life is a series of accidents and through making mistakes I learn whats right and whats not right. I also believe that I haven't found a relgion simmiler to this otherwise I would not be posting this. Does it make sense to anyone here??

Sounds to me that you have found a path. Now it is time to put one foot in front of the other. If you are looking for a set of rules in regard to what's right and what's not right, then pick a religion according to your culture. If you want the freedom to continue to figure it out for yourself, then there is no religion for you - only an awakening of your spirituality. When you get much older, and you are satisfied with the sum of things you understand about life, it will be easier for you to pick a religion. There is so much knowledge in the world - you can not acquire it all in one lifetime. All you can do is uncover the knowledge set out for you on your path. Prayer and being true to yourself will actualize who you are right now, the person you have yet to see.

Back