Translations

That people may know that you, whose name is Jehovah,

You alone are the Most High over all the earth(psalm 83;18).

Trust in Jehovah, YOU people, for all times, for in Jah Jehovah is the Rock of times indefinite.(Isaiah 26;4).

"I am Jehovah. That is my name; and to no one else shall I give my own glory, neither my praise to graven images(Isaiah 42;8) AS Exodus 6;3)

mee said:

Trust in Jehovah, YOU people, for all times, for in Jah Jehovah is the Rock of times indefinite.(Isaiah 26;4).

"I am Jehovah. That is my name; and to no one else shall I give my own glory, neither my praise to graven images(Isaiah 42;8) AS Exodus 6;3)

And that has what to do with Bible translations???

mee said:

The actual translation in Isaiah 26:4 is Adonai meaning Lord.. this verse is about Jesus :) thank you for posting it ...

The actual translation of Psalm 83:18 is also Adonai meaning Lord.. this verse is also about Jesus btw :)

Isaiah 42:8 the actual translation is once again Adonai meaning Lord and this verse and if you read verses 1-8 its a very good prophecy of Christ.

Exodus 6:3 I appeared to Avraham, Yitz'chak and Ya'akov as El Shaddai, although I did not make myself known to them by my name, Yud-Heh-Vav-Heh [ADONAI].

Once again you see that Jehovah is not the correct translation. Im using The Complete Jewish Bible and you cannot argue Hebrew translation with the Jewish translating Hebrew to English.. Jehovah was made up by a 12 century monk incidentally it was added into the manuscripts of the bible.. it is incorrect.

I just thought it was an interesting bit on translations.

Faithful, this is off topic but look up Philo of Alexandria and his invention of the logos.

Faithfulservant said:
The actual translation in Isaiah 26:4 is Adonai meaning Lord.. this verse is about Jesus :) thank you for posting it ...

The actual translation of Psalm 83:18 is also Adonai meaning Lord.. this verse is also about Jesus btw :)

Isaiah 42:8 the actual translation is once again Adonai meaning Lord and this verse and if you read verses 1-8 its a very good prophecy of Christ.

Exodus 6:3 I appeared to Avraham, Yitz'chak and Ya'akov as El Shaddai, although I did not make myself known to them by my name, Yud-Heh-Vav-Heh [ADONAI].

Once again you see that Jehovah is not the correct translation. Im using The Complete Jewish Bible and you cannot argue Hebrew translation with the Jewish translating Hebrew to English.. Jehovah was made up by a 12 century monk incidentally it was added into the manuscripts of the bible.. it is incorrect.

I just thought it was an interesting bit on translations.
its best to keep to the original scriptures rather than taking on the jewish superstition that Gods name should not be heard or spoken , that is why they have taken it out of the text, when it should be there, just as Jehovah wanted it to be , that is why jesus said in(john 17;26)when he was praying to his father,
And I have made your name known to them and will make it known, in order that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in union with them.so jesus used Gods name the same way we should ,so i think it is more important to stick to the correct translations

mee said:
its best to keep to the original scriptures rather than taking on the jewish superstition that Gods name should not be heard or spoken , that is why they have taken it out of the text, when it should be there, just as Jehovah wanted it to be , that is why jesus said in(john 17;26)when he was praying to his father,
And I have made your name known to them and will make it known, in order that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in union with them.so jesus used Gods name the same way we should ,so i think it is more important to stick to the correct translations

Hmm considering that God chose the Jewish people to give His OT message to and all the promises therein .. and If God actually wrote the bible how could YHWH be a superstition of the Jewish faith?? I'm not even Jewish and I find it hard to stomach because that came from THE original manuscripts of my very HOLY BIBLE. The fact that the watchtower organization and tract society have no academic background in Hebrew, Aramic or Greek I would personally not trust anything they had to say about translations of ancient languages..

mee said:

Most of Christian scripture is Jewish scripture. They originated the whole thing. The decision not to speak the name of God is out of reverence, not superstition. And no "translation" is ever 100 % accurate from the original, particularly from one language (and thought) to another.

Many consider Christianity itself to be one big superstitous cult, not to mention mysterious and mystical. But to say it out loud is considered crass ;)

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
Most of Christian scripture is Jewish scripture. They originated the whole thing. The decision not to speak the name of God is out of reverence, not superstition. And no "translation" is ever 100 % accurate from the original, particularly from one language (and thought) to another.

Many consider Christianity itself to be one big superstitous cult, not to mention mysterious and mystical. But to say it out loud is considered crass ;)

I agree. That's why Christianity is so divided today - because of the lack of education and respect. Jesus was a Jew, not a Christian. He came not to destroy the Law, but to fulfill it. And the word JHVH is reverence as well. It comes from the Greek interpretation of the reverence of the original text that was in Hebrew. Speak English, throw in some syllables that appear suitable, and you got a whole religion.

Faithfulservant said:
Hmm considering that God chose the Jewish people to give His OT message to and all the promises therein .. and If God actually wrote the bible how could YHWH be a superstition of the Jewish faith?? I'm not even Jewish and I find it hard to stomach because that came from THE original manuscripts of my very HOLY BIBLE. The fact that the watchtower organization and tract society have no academic background in Hebrew, Aramic or Greek I would personally not trust anything they had to say about translations of ancient languages..
YHWH is not a superstition .but the jews developed a superststion that Gods name should not be spoken ,this was because they took a bible passage and enbroidered it, the passage was the one about not taking the Lords name in a worthless way it did not mean that they were not to use it .
Why did the Jews cease to pronounce God’s name? Probably, at least in part, because of misapplying the words of the third commandment: "You must not take up the name of Jehovah your God in a worthless way." (Exodus 20:7)

mee said:
YHWH is not a superstition .but the jews developed a superststion that Gods name should not be spoken ,this was because they took a bible passage and enbroidered it, the passage was the one about not taking the Lords name in a worthless way it did not mean that they were not to use it .
Why did the Jews cease to pronounce God’s name? Probably, at least in part, because of misapplying the words of the third commandment: "You must not take up the name of Jehovah your God in a worthless way." (Exodus 20:7)

That is not superstitious in any way shape or form. They followed the law as best they knew how. By the way, what does superstition have to do with translations? How about we stick to the original thought here...;)

v/r

Q

It has a lot to do with translations because taking Gods name away from the scriptures is wrong, it depends wheather we are interested in the pure word of God or not

mee said:
It has a lot to do with translations because taking Gods name away from the scriptures is wrong, it depends wheather we are interested in the pure word of God or not
The name of God was never taken out of/from scripture. It just wasn't spoken out loud before others, in a casual or trite way. There is a huge difference. Again it has nothing to do with not being interested in the pure word of God. ;)

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
The name of God was never taken out of/from scripture. It just wasn't spoken out loud before others, in a casual or trite way. There is a huge difference. Again it has nothing to do with not being interested in the pure word of God. ;)

v/r

Q

The personal name of God is honored and displayed in countless other places and settings. A little research also leaves no doubt that JHVH (YHWH) is the NAME of the Supreme Being, as shown in the Hebrew Bible. How often does that sacred name appear there? SIX THOUSAND NINE HUNDRED AND SIXTY TIMES! Is it not very obvious that the divine name was NOT MEANT TO BE LEFT OUT?

mee said:

The personal name of God is honored and displayed in countless other places and settings. A little research also leaves no doubt that JHVH (YHWH) is the NAME of the Supreme Being, as shown in the Hebrew Bible. How often does that sacred name appear there? SIX THOUSAND NINE HUNDRED AND SIXTY TIMES! Is it not very obvious that the divine name was NOT MEANT TO BE LEFT OUT?

But as you state Mee, it wasn't left out. It was in place 6,960 times, for all to read and understand. It just wasn't spoken out loud in a casual or trite way, in every day living. Kind of like using Gods name as a weapon...that is a double edged sword. ;)

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
But as you state Mee, it wasn't left out. It was in place 6,960 times, for all to read and understand. It just wasn't spoken out loud in a casual or trite way, in every day living. Kind of like using Gods name as a weapon...that is a double edged sword. ;)

Q
Rom. 10:13: "Everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved."​

Ezek. 39:6: "People will have to know that I am Jehovah."​

Jesus said to his Father: "I have made your name known to them [his true followers] and will make it known."—John 17:26 if translators take Gods name out of there translations and put Lord or God instead of the correct name how will people know Gods nameGODS NAME HAS BEEN TAKEN OUT .

True Christians have a commission from Jesus Christ to make disciples of people of all nations. When teaching these people, how would it be possible to identify the true God as different from the false gods of the nations? Only by using His personal name, as the Bible itself does.—Matt. 28:19, 20; 1 Cor. 8:5, 6.​

Ex. 3:15: "God said . . . to Moses: ‘This is what you are to say to the sons of Israel, "Jehovah the God of your forefathers . . . has sent me to you." This is my name to time indefinite, and this is the memorial of me to generation after generation.’"​

Isa. 12:4: "Give thanks to Jehovah, you people! Call upon his name. Make known among the peoples his dealings. Make mention that his name is put on high."​

Ezek. 38:17, 23: "This is what the Sovereign Lord Jehovah has said, ‘ . . . And I shall certainly magnify myself and sanctify myself and make myself known before the eyes of many nations; and they will have to know that I am Jehovah.’"​

Mal. 3:16: "Those in fear of Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion, and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening. And a book of remembrance began to be written up before him for those in fear of Jehovah and for those thinking upon his name."

John 17:26: "[Jesus prayed to his Father:] I have made your name known to them [his followers] and will make it known, in order that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in union with them."​

Acts 15:14: "Symeon has related thoroughly how God for the first time turned his attention to the nations to take out of them a people for his name."

The translators of the Authorized Version preserved God’s name, Jehovah, in only four verses, substituting GOD and LORD everywhere else. WHAT A DISHONER TO JEHOVAH.Iwonder what he thinks about that and to think that we should not add or take away any thing from gods word, so many people who are in the dark about Gods name because of false religious beliefs clouding the word of God.

"I have made your name manifest to the men you gave me out of the world. They were yours, and you gave them to me, and they have observed your word(JOHN 17;6) so jesus wanted his followers to use that name

mee said:
Rom. 10:13: "Everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved."​

Ezek. 39:6: "People will have to know that I am Jehovah."​

Jesus said to his Father: "I have made your name known to them [his true followers] and will make it known."—John 17:26 if translators take Gods name out of there translations and put Lord or God instead of the correct name how will people know Gods nameGODS NAME HAS BEEN TAKEN OUT .

True Christians have a commission from Jesus Christ to make disciples of people of all nations. When teaching these people, how would it be possible to identify the true God as different from the false gods of the nations? Only by using His personal name, as the Bible itself does.—Matt. 28:19, 20; 1 Cor. 8:5, 6.​

Ex. 3:15: "God said . . . to Moses: ‘This is what you are to say to the sons of Israel, "Jehovah the God of your forefathers . . . has sent me to you." This is my name to time indefinite, and this is the memorial of me to generation after generation.’"​

Isa. 12:4: "Give thanks to Jehovah, you people! Call upon his name. Make known among the peoples his dealings. Make mention that his name is put on high."​

Ezek. 38:17, 23: "This is what the Sovereign Lord Jehovah has said, ‘ . . . And I shall certainly magnify myself and sanctify myself and make myself known before the eyes of many nations; and they will have to know that I am Jehovah.’"​

Mal. 3:16: "Those in fear of Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion, and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening. And a book of remembrance began to be written up before him for those in fear of Jehovah and for those thinking upon his name."

John 17:26: "[Jesus prayed to his Father:] I have made your name known to them [his followers] and will make it known, in order that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in union with them."​

Acts 15:14: "Symeon has related thoroughly how God for the first time turned his attention to the nations to take out of them a people for his name."

The translators of the Authorized Version preserved God’s name, Jehovah, in only four verses, substituting GOD and LORD everywhere else. WHAT A DISHONER TO JEHOVAH.Iwonder what he thinks about that and to think that we should not add or take away any thing from gods word, so many people who are in the dark about Gods name because of false religious beliefs clouding the word of God.

"I have made your name manifest to the men you gave me out of the world. They were yours, and you gave them to me, and they have observed your word(JOHN 17;6) so jesus wanted his followers to use that name
You ignored everything I was discussing with you. That is a shame.

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
You ignored everything I was discussing with you. That is a shame.

v/r

Q
i did not ignore you it is a known fact that the name of God has been taken out and LORD or GOD put in the place of the tetragrammaton.
The personal name of the only true God. His own self-designation. Jehovah is the Creator and, rightfully, the Sovereign Ruler of the universe. "Jehovah" is translated from the Hebrew Tetragrammaton, יהוה, which means "He Causes to Become." These four Hebrew letters are represented in many languages by the letters JHVH or YHWH

The only 'correct' version is the original greek or hebrew.

No translation is perfect.

Thats why i use more then one translation for study. www.biblegateway.com is good for comparing.

If i want to study deeper i use a greek or hebrew concordance to see where a particular word is used in a different context.

However all this is not as good as reading the original language but for me its good enough!

Rom. 10:13: "Everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved."

Romans 10:9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, "Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame." 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him. 13 For "whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved."

This is speaking of Jesus Christ.. nowhere was Jehovah mentioned in the original transcripts. Its saying if one person believes he must speak with his mouth his confession in order to be saved...

Its a real shame when people take one verse and apply it to a belief without reading the entirety of the scripture.. they use it to argue their point but make themselves look like butchers of the word of God. I have no respect for ANYONE that does this.. there is no justification of it. I dont care who translated what.. The bible, to me, is written by God to say that God was taken out of the original transcripts of the Bible is saying that God had no control over how the bible was written. That is not an option for me. So I will read my bible and use the greek and hebrew for deeper study.

mee said:
i did not ignore you it is a known fact that the name of God has been taken out and LORD or GOD put in the place of the tetragrammaton.
The personal name of the only true God. His own self-designation. Jehovah is the Creator and, rightfully, the Sovereign Ruler of the universe. "Jehovah" is translated from the Hebrew Tetragrammaton, יהוה, which means "He Causes to Become." These four Hebrew letters are represented in many languages by the letters JHVH or YHWH

What about:

Abba Adonai Almighty Creator

Elohim

Elroi Elshaddai Elyon Father

Lord Master

in addition to:

Jehovah Yahweh ?

Let me continue with the rest of God's names as listed in scripture.

Elohim (Elohay) - the FIRST name found in the Bible for God, comes from the Hebrew root word meaning strength or power. It is mentioned over 2300 times.

Elohay Kedem, Elohay Mishphat, Elohay Selicot, Elohay Marom, Elohay Mikarov, Elohay Mauzi, Elohay Tehilati, Elohay Yishi, Elohim Kedoshim, Elohim Chaiyim, Elohay Elohim.
Yahweh

YHVH comes from the Hebrew verb "to be" and is the special name that God revealed to Moses at the burning bush. "And God said to Moses, 'I AM WHO I AM; and He said, thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, I AM has sent me to you... this is My eternal name, and this is how I am to be recalled for all generations'" (Exodus 3:14-15). That means to be remembered, not neccessarily spoken of.

Here are some examples of YHVH used in scripture: YHVH Elohim - LORD God: (Genesis 2:4). YHVH M'kadesh - The LORD Who Makes Holy: (Ezekiel 37:28). YHVH Yireh - The LORD Who Sees/Provides: (Genesis 22:14). YHVH Nissi - The LORD My Banner: (Exodus 17:15). YHVH Shalom - The LORD Of Peace: (Judges 6:24). YHVH Tzidkaynu - The LORD Our Righteousness: (Jeremiah 33:16). YHVH O'saynu - The LORD our Maker: (Psalm 95:6).

So I don't know what Bible you are talking about Mee, but mine is chock full of the various names of God, including YHVH. But YHVH was not the first name given of God in scripture

The Jews stopped using YHVH about 200 AD, out of fear of breaking the 3rd commandment. Many use Adonai today. That isn't superstition. That is a wish to obey God's commandment as they see it.

v/r

Q

Back