Translations

Quahom1 said:

YHVH comes from the Hebrew verb "to be" and is the special name that God revealed to Moses at the burning bush. "And God said to Moses, 'I AM WHO I AM; and He said, thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, I AM has sent me to you... this is My eternal name, and this is how I am to be recalled for all generations'" (Exodus 3:14-15). That means to be remembered, not neccessarily spoken of.
Ego eimi in Greek.

Faithfulservant said:
Romans 10:9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, "Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame." 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him. 13 For "whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved."

This is speaking of Jesus Christ.. nowhere was Jehovah mentioned in the original transcripts. Its saying if one person believes he must speak with his mouth his confession in order to be saved...

Its a real shame when people take one verse and apply it to a belief without reading the entirety of the scripture.. they use it to argue their point but make themselves look like butchers of the word of God. I have no respect for ANYONE that does this.. there is no justification of it. I dont care who translated what.. The bible, to me, is written by God to say that God was taken out of the original transcripts of the Bible is saying that God had no control over how the bible was written. That is not an option for me. So I will read my bible and use the greek and hebrew for deeper study.
Romans 10;9 yes this verse is correct it should be Lord but Romans 10;13 should be Gods name Jehovah or Yahweh, the NWT is not the only translation that recognises that this is correct , I refer to publications such as ....

Christian Greek Scriptures in 12 languages, including Heb., by Elias Hutter, Nuremberg, 1959.

Christian Greek Scriptures, by William Robertson, London, 1961.

The New Testament….in Hebrew and English, by Richard Caddick, Vol. I-III, containing Matthew – 1 Corinthians, London, 1798-1805.

Christian Greek Scriptures, Heb., by A McCaul, M.S. Alexander, J.C. Reichardt, and S. Hoga, London 1838.

Christian Greek Scriptures, Heb., by J.C. Reichardt, London, 1846.

Luke, Acts, Romans, and Hebrews, Heb., by J.H.R.Biesenthal, Berlin, 1855, 1867, 1853, and 1858 respectively.

Christian Greek Scriptures, Heb., by J.C. Reichardt and J.H.R.Biesenthal, London 1866.

Christian Greek Scriptures, Heb., by Franz Delitzsch, London,1982 ed.

Christian Greek Scriptures, Heb., by Isaac Salkinson and C. D. Ginsburg, London.

Christian Greek Scriptures, Heb., by United Bible Societies Jerusalem, 1979.

Christian Greek Scriptures, Heb., by J.Bauchet, Rome 1975.

A Literal Translation of the New Testament from the Text of the Vatican Manuscript by Herman Heinfetter, London 1863.

Faithfulservant said:
Thank you for proving to me once again that Christ is Jehovah :)
no, that does not prove that christ is Jehovah, it proves that romans 10;13 is translated wrongly in many well known bibles. translaters should not take Gods name away from the bible . also notice that in romans 10;9 it says God raised him(jesus ) so there is no confusion here there is jesus, and there is God ,the bible tells us that jehovah raised jesus from the dead not jesus himself.
whereas YOU killed the Chief Agent of life. But God raised him up from the dead, of which fact we are witnesses. (acts 3; 15).

but also for the sake of us to whom it is destined to be counted, because we believe on him who raised Jesus our Lord up from the dead. (romans 4;24).

who through him are believers in God, the one who raised him up from the dead and gave him glory; so that YOUR faith and hope might be in God(1 peter1;21)its always best to stick to a translation that does not remove the vital name of jehovah. its good to know that Jehovah has made sure that there are translations around that do not remove his name.

So basically everything you dont agree with is translated falsly?.. Give me a break.. you cant reason like that, its completely ignorant.

You can read for yourself without looking at your tracts the verses I posted..declaring Christ with your tongue... and calling His name.. All throughout the bible when things are repeated more than once it is emphasizing a point.. try opening up the bible and finding them for yourself.

mee said:
no, that does not prove that christ is Jehovah, it proves that romans 10;13 is translated wrongly in many well known bibles. translaters should not take Gods name away from the bible . also notice that in romans 10;9 it says God raised him(jesus ) so there is no confusion here there is jesus, and there is God ,the bible tells us that jehovah raised jesus from the dead not jesus himself.
whereas YOU killed the Chief Agent of life. But God raised him up from the dead, of which fact we are witnesses. (acts 3; 15).

but also for the sake of us to whom it is destined to be counted, because we believe on him who raised Jesus our Lord up from the dead. (romans 4;24).

who through him are believers in God, the one who raised him up from the dead and gave him glory; so that YOUR faith and hope might be in God(1 peter1;21)its always best to stick to a translation that does not remove the vital name of jehovah. its good to know that Jehovah has made sure that there are translations around that do not remove his name.

Yes it does point out that Jesus (Yeshua) is in fact Yahweh/Jehovah. AND...Jesus dared repeat "I AM WHO AM" about Himself. Mee. He said it. Your denial doesn't stop it from being a reality!

It is quite understandable to disagree about variations on a theme, but to sit there and tell or imply to everyone else they are wrong about their faith is unacceptable...and your cut and paste tactics are becoming annoying...

Quahom

Faithfulservant said:
So basically everything you dont agree with is translated falsly?.. Give me a break.. you cant reason like that, its completely ignorant.

You can read for yourself without looking at your tracts the verses I posted..declaring Christ with your tongue... and calling His name.. All throughout the bible when things are repeated more than once it is emphasizing a point.. try opening up the bible and finding them for yourself.
as you can see that is what i have just done i have quoted scripture whats wrong with that the bible says God raised jesus it is quite plain to see if we want to see it

Yes God raised Jesus.. Jesus raised Jesus.. The Holy Spirit raised Jesus.. The Father raised Jesus.. but you would have to accept all parts of the bible and not just the ones that you pick and choose from.

It is quite plain to see that your Bible translation is not that of anyone else's but your organization. The whole world is not sitting around waiting for the day of the Armaggedon. We are looking to a blessed future of love that consists of being whole with Christ. We are living our lives in the meantime, getting closer to God by works and faith and relishing in His love that He has for mankind.

Jehovah's Witnesses are not Christians. They are Jehovah's Witnesses. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't appreciate Mee bringing in this chaotic message. There is always confusion when Satan arrives. I don't see anyone understanding this person's message. First, the message is elusive. Then, it has totally disrupted the harmony of the exchange of ideas. Two weeks ago there were multiple faiths talking and saying, hmmmm. Today, the few who are left has their shields and swords. Debate can be healthy. But there is no debate where there is no common ground.

Votre Mere,

Tvaiou Matb,

Your Mother,

...that is the problem with translations see? The above each say the exact same thing. One is neutral in its meaning, one is an expression of reverence, and one is a curse.

Can you decipher which is which? ;)

Same goes for the Bible, and people's thoughts on matters. Let's back up 10.

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
Yes it does point out that Jesus (Yeshua) is in fact Yahweh/Jehovah. AND...Jesus dared repeat "I AM WHO AM" about Himself. Mee. He said it. Your denial doesn't stop it from being a reality!

It is quite understandable to disagree about variations on a theme, but to sit there and tell or imply to everyone else they are wrong about their faith is unacceptable...and your cut and paste tactics are becoming annoying...

Quahom

This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ. (john 17;3)notice the only true God AND jesus christ no not the same .it is not me telling others they are wrong it is Gods word the bible

All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness(2 timothy 3;16)

The New World Translation is not right. It is a condemning piece of material that preaches the truth of a wrathful God. Not one of love, not one of peace, not one recognizing all his children that are atoned for by the blood of Jesus. It preaches hatred for the rest of the world. It is judgemental and destructive. It promotes pride to a group of fearful people that would otherwise be among the lost and downtrodden. Flip it around, and the rest of the world is lost and downtrodden.
There is the truth - "for we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, and spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand." (Ephesians 6:12-13)

I ask you right now Father to bring peace among your faithful, mighty Lord, that we may not be misled to fight a battle that you yourself have said is yours to fight. I ask that you bring peace among seeking souls, father, that your seed has been planted, that your will be done, that you cast out the stronghold of Satan among those who aim to seek your truth and righteousness. I understand Lord that where there is peace and love you dwell among them. I cast you out RIGHT NOW Satan in the mighty name of Jesus - which even now brings peace to my soul. In your Glory. In Jesus name, Amen.

No disrespect, Moderators. I will bow out gracefully at this time.

mee said:

This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ. (john 17;3)notice the only true God AND jesus christ no not the same .it is not me telling others they are wrong it is Gods word the bible

All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness(2 timothy 3;16)

Let us agree to disagree, Mee. ;)

v/r

Q

truthseeker said:
The New World Translation is not right. It is a condemning piece of material that preaches the truth of a wrathful God. Not one of love, not one of peace, not one recognizing all his children that are atoned for by the blood of Jesus. It preaches hatred for the rest of the world. It is judgemental and destructive. It promotes pride to a group of fearful people that would otherwise be among the lost and downtrodden. Flip it around, and the rest of the world is lost and downtrodden.
There is the truth - "for we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, and spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand." (Ephesians 6:12-13)

I ask you right now Father to bring peace among your faithful, mighty Lord, that we may not be misled to fight a battle that you yourself have said is yours to fight. I ask that you bring peace among seeking souls, father, that your seed has been planted, that your will be done, that you cast out the stronghold of Satan among those who aim to seek your truth and righteousness. I understand Lord that where there is peace and love you dwell among them. I cast you out RIGHT NOW Satan in the mighty name of Jesus - which even now brings peace to my soul. In your Glory. In Jesus name, Amen.

No disrespect, Moderators. I will bow out gracefully at this time.

"FULL of falsifications!" Back in the 16th century, that is what opposers said about Martin Luther’s translation of the Bible. They believed they could prove that Luther’s Bible contained "1,400 heretical errors and lies." Today, Luther’s Bible is viewed as a landmark translation. The book Translating the Bible even calls it "a work of genius"!​

In this 20th century, the New World Translation has also been charged with falsification. Why? Because it departs from the traditional rendering of many verses and stresses the use of God’s name, Jehovah. Hence, it is unconventional. But does this make it false? No. It was produced with much care and attention to detail, and what may appear unfamiliar represents a sincere effort to represent carefully the nuances of the original languages. Theologian C. Houtman explains the reason for the unorthodoxy of the New World Translation: "Various traditional translations of important terms from the original text have been discarded, apparently in order to arrive at the best possible understanding

Certain unfamiliar terms supposedly invented by Jehovah’s Witnesses are supported by other Bible translations or reference works.

Luther’s Bible was criticized because it was produced by a man who exposed the shortcomings of the traditional religion of his day. His translation opened the way for ordinary people to see the truth of much of what he said. Similarly, the New World Translation is criticized because it is published by Jehovah’s Witnesses, who outspokenly declare that many of Christendom’s doctrines are not found in the Bible. The New World Translation—indeed, any Bible—makes this evident.​

In fact, the New World Translation is a scholarly work. In 1989, Professor Benjamin Kedar of Israel said: "In my linguistic research in connection with the Hebrew Bible and translations, I often refer to the English edition of what is known as the New World Translation. In so doing, I find my feeling repeatedly confirmed that this work reflects an honest endeavor to achieve an understanding of the text that is as accurate as possible. Giving evidence of a broad command of the original language, it renders the original words into a second language understandably without deviating unnecessarily from the specific structure of the Hebrew. . . . Every statement of language allows for a certain latitude in interpreting or translating. So the linguistic solution in any given case may be open to debate. But I have never discovered in the New World Translation any biased intent to read something into the text that it does not contain."​

Millions of Bible readers worldwide use the New World Translation because it is a modern-language translation that renders Bible terms with accuracy.

mee said:

"FULL of falsifications!" Back in the 16th century, that is what opposers said about Martin Luther’s translation of the Bible. They believed they could prove that Luther’s Bible contained "1,400 heretical errors and lies." Today, Luther’s Bible is viewed as a landmark translation. The book Translating the Bible even calls it "a work of genius"!​

In this 20th century, the New World Translation has also been charged with falsification. Why? Because it departs from the traditional rendering of many verses and stresses the use of God’s name, Jehovah. Hence, it is unconventional. But does this make it false? No. It was produced with much care and attention to detail, and what may appear unfamiliar represents a sincere effort to represent carefully the nuances of the original languages. Theologian C. Houtman explains the reason for the unorthodoxy of the New World Translation: "Various traditional translations of important terms from the original text have been discarded, apparently in order to arrive at the best possible understanding

Certain unfamiliar terms supposedly invented by Jehovah’s Witnesses are supported by other Bible translations or reference works.

Luther’s Bible was criticized because it was produced by a man who exposed the shortcomings of the traditional religion of his day. His translation opened the way for ordinary people to see the truth of much of what he said. Similarly, the New World Translation is criticized because it is published by Jehovah’s Witnesses, who outspokenly declare that many of Christendom’s doctrines are not found in the Bible. The New World Translation—indeed, any Bible—makes this evident.​

In fact, the New World Translation is a scholarly work. In 1989, Professor Benjamin Kedar of Israel said: "In my linguistic research in connection with the Hebrew Bible and translations, I often refer to the English edition of what is known as the New World Translation. In so doing, I find my feeling repeatedly confirmed that this work reflects an honest endeavor to achieve an understanding of the text that is as accurate as possible. Giving evidence of a broad command of the original language, it renders the original words into a second language understandably without deviating unnecessarily from the specific structure of the Hebrew. . . . Every statement of language allows for a certain latitude in interpreting or translating. So the linguistic solution in any given case may be open to debate. But I have never discovered in the New World Translation any biased intent to read something into the text that it does not contain."​

Millions of Bible readers worldwide use the New World Translation because it is a modern-language translation that renders Bible terms with accuracy.

Well now...Hello Mee! Nice to see you have a very strong personal opinion. Now we can really discuss issues. ;)

v/r

Q

p.s. I'm gathering my thoughts and will get back with you on this.

Quahom1 said:
Ok, it's getting a bit warm around here. And I personally do not want to be in fire before I absolutely have to.

It is time for us to "cool down". We are here to discuss issues, and "attacking" others here on CR is prohibited, verbotten, nonka. Capish? ;)

v/r

Q
I'm afraid I have to second this, guys.

I am glad to see Mee presenting some of his own opinions rather than cut and paste. For legal and scholarship reasons, quotes should be minimal and pertinent, credit the author, and cite the source or provide a link if on the internet. Plagiarism is a big no-no.

I could really stir the pot because I see things I agree with on both sides, as well as things I disagree with on both sides. But things are better off if they cool down a bit first, please.

Last edited by a moderator:
mee said:

Millions of Jehovah's Witnesses worldwide use the New World Translation because it is a modern translation that renders Bible philosophy with convenience.
You should state your source of cut and pastes - it is the proper thing to do.

truthseeker said:
Millions of Jehovah's Witnesses worldwide use the New World Translation because it is a modern translation that renders Bible philosophy with convenience.
You should state your source of cut and pastes - it is the proper thing to do.
for me myself , i find the NWTto be a translation that is as near to the original word of God as is possible at this point in time, i am so thankful that Jehovah has appointed the Faithful slave class to accomplish this fine translation(matt 24;45-47)jehovahs people always use this fine channel ,how we are looked after by Jehovah our God in this time of the end.
True Christians avoid mixing Bible truth with human philosophy .as for convenience ,to stay close to the pure saying of God makes it harder to be a christian because it is not going along the easy road of the world in general so i would have to disagree with that

The sayings of Jehovah are pure sayings,

As silver refined in a smelting furnace of earth, clarified seven times(psalm 12;6)

Sanctify them by means of the truth; your word is truth(john 17;17)

By faithfully appealing to this pure Word of God Jehovahs people have been able to purify its doctrines and to keep its teaching pure and truthful

Back