What is the Sound of One hand clapping?

The internet is at your fingertips!
Are we all so disappointing, and so soon? :rolleyes::)
We transcend mere units of knowledge, that can so easily be gleaned elsewhere!!!
s.
I'm not disappointed with you. What I should have said was that, as usual 'little is gathered without effort by the gatherer'. Its hard to explain, but I just strongly desired to use the term 'easy-freebie' in a sentence. I'm sorry.

Namaste Dream,

thank you for the post.

So nobody here actually participates in Koan practice? I'm a little disappointed because I was expecting some easy-freebie knowledge. No luck, as usual. Maybe this conversation is the sound of one hand clapping?

as far as i know we don't have any Ch'an Buddhists here we do have a few Zen Buddhists but the last one i spoke with was going to retreat some 12 months ago or so and we'll not likely hear from him till he's done.. if he decides to come back.

metta,

~v

as far as i know we don't have any Ch'an Buddhists here we do have a few Zen Buddhists but the last one i spoke with was going to retreat some 12 months ago or so and we'll not likely hear from him till he's done.. if he decides to come back.

Who's that then?

(Keeping to the Japanese terminology for simplicity...)... koans are mainly associated with Rinzai Zen. My interest is in Soto Zen, which by and large does not use them. The equivalent of koans in Soto might be said to be the mondo, a public Q&A session if you like. Koan questioning (in Rinzai) is done during private interviews. The founder of Soto in Japan (Eihei Dogen) trained in Japan and China, studying both Tendai and Rinzai but ultimately finding them inadequate. He was critical of the use of koans. Here endeth the "easy-freebie knowledge", Dream. :p

s.

Snoopy, I just found your post. Well, that's very helpful! I'm the kind of person who likes old things though, so I may still look into the Koans.

I read an awesome book recently called 14 Secrets of Great Teachers which was written by a school principle in the U.S., a country where teachers are underpaid and over-appreciated. ;) I'm not a teacher, but it was such a good book that it didn't matter. In the U.S. there has been some dispute about whether to teach phonetic reading or whole-word reading, and school boards have tried each one at different times. In the end, some teachers were more effective with phonics and others with whole-word. It wasn't the system but the teacher that made the most successful students.

Namaste Snoopy,

thank you for the post.

Who's that then?

Zenmonk_genryu is the member that i was referring to, he's a Soto monk.

Zenda and Zazen were both Zennists insofar as they were of any particular school, iirc.

metta,

~v

Namaste Snoopy,

thank you for the post.

Zenmonk_genryu is the member that i was referring to, he's a Soto monk.

Zenda and Zazen were both Zennists insofar as they were of any particular school, iirc.

metta,

~v

Oh ta then. Before my time as it were.

Are monks allowed to say "bollocks" ???!!! :eek::D

http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/types-of-buddhism-433-3.html#post6952

s.

PS a dalek???

PPS had to look up "iirc". Heck, I think I need to put that in every post of mine!

Back