What is the Sound of One hand clapping?

Okay--I probably shouldn't do this, but...

When I was a kid, there was an older kid down the street. We grew up together, and someday I will write about all the great things associated with him.

I realize this is on the "Eastern Thought" and "
"Buddhism" board. But Eastern thought surely includes humor, right?

My friend down the street actually taught me how to clap with one hand. It is cool. It is physical, but one must believe one can achieve it before one can actually do it.

It amazes my grandchildren--:)

Forgive me--I just had to tell this--

(It is apparently quite strange for people who have never seen it, but it is perfectly normal to me:) --It's all in the wrist--no wait--it's all in the mind--no wait....:D ....

InPeace,
InLove

Assalam Alaikum All :)

..Erm....to clap with one hand is easy...why, just slap your fingers against your palm....:)

Assalam Alaikum.

Gee, I'd better take it easy on the Zen. :eek:
That said, here's my own compilation of koans:
  1. What is the speed of gravity?
  2. Relatively Absolutionist, or Absolutely Relativistic?
  3. What is the nature of our human consciousness?
  4. What is the sound of one hand clapping?
  5. Why do cows say "MU?"

Namaste all,

Mu.. i particular find to be quite excellent in Koan practice.

it took quite a while before i was able to understand this one.. and i think that my understanding of it is rather provisonal...

for a 20th century Koan:

What is the mass of a massless particle?

metta,

~v

Vajradhara said:
Namaste all,

Mu.. i particular find to be quite excellent in Koan practice.

it took quite a while before i was able to understand this one.. and i think that my understanding of it is rather provisonal...

for a 20th century Koan:

What is the mass of a massless particle?

metta,

~v

The same as that of a light photon...:cool:

What is the sound of one hand clapping?

I've never liked that one, maybe I just dont understand it. The definition of clapping hands is surely for two (or more?) hands to come together at speed, so I would argue that one hand simply cannot clap.

I much prefer this one:

If a tree falls in a forest and there is no one around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Awaiting_the_fifth said:
I much prefer this one:

If a tree falls in a forest and there is no one around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Yes...something like "awwwwww, (sh*t) ! I hate when that happens..."

:D :D :D

Well, the sound of two hands clapping jumps spontaneously from two hands coming together. In a certain way, this is 'something' coming from 'nothing'. Alan Watts once said," I think 'nothing' gets a bad rap these days." Indeed, in our hyperactive culture 'nothing' is certainly looked down upon. But the sound of one hand clapping is the sound of spontaneous potential, the interconnectedness of 'something and nothing'...the 'sound of no-sound' (to get into more Taoist ways of speaking). It's the same as trying to see your own eye or taste you own tongue. It's quite the strange paradox.

I had read that koan first in Zen Flesh, Zen Bones, which I think was mentioned on a previous posting. I didn't get it at all until I started comparing it to other examples of similar mystery from life. I considered the way that Buddhism and Taoism have a tendency of suggesting that there is no death, and I wondered whether or not a persons lack of a noticeable physical manifestation after death, despite the claim that there is no death, might be along similar lines as 'the sound of one hand clapping'.

A cool way to look at it is this (why not be cool?...this stuff is fun):

Ever listen to a song where there is a few moments of dramatic silence between, say, a verse and a chorus? We usually would say that 'the song stops here briefly and it sounds really dramatic when it comes back in'. But really, the steps of silence and sound in music ARE the music. The spirit of the 'one-hand clapping' koan, I think, suggests that maybe silence is music too...that the dramatic silence is just as much the band playing skillfully as the crashing chorus that follows. (Forgive me, I think alot ;-)

The sound of one-hand clapping is the sound of your ears hearing and the sight of your eyes seeing. Heh, I could try to wrap my head around that one all day :)

Namaste all...

something which should probably be said concerning the nature of Koans.

the reason why particular ones are recorded is due to the experience of a particular being Awakening through that aspect of contemplation. as such, what needs to be understood is that not all Koans are appropos for all beings.

Buddhist teachings are not really designed to establish a doctrine, though that certainly exists, they are really designed to inculcate experience.

metta,

~v

Jiii, hello.

The sound of one-hand clapping is the sound of your ears hearing and the sight of your eyes seeing. Heh, I could try to wrap my head around that one all day.

I think I actually know what you mean, very interesting point! Esp. about death. I like Buddhism ever since I read ‘the clear light of bliss’ by gesha kelsang gyatso, [a great and in depth read], even though I am a druid I base my beliefs largely on Buddhism and the Tao [amongst others], if we can get past the doctrine of any philosophy/religion there is much to be learned – nice post. :)

Z

Vajradhara said:
Thank you for the links, Vaj. Fun reading. :)
I really have fun with Zen, and don't hold to a rigid view regarding it. {But what would you expect from someone on the Pacific Rim, where when you look toward the east, you see "The West," and when you look towards the west, you see "The East?"} ;)

seattlegal said:
Thank you for the links, Vaj. Fun reading. :)
I really have fun with Zen, and don't hold to a rigid view regarding it. {But what would you expect from someone on the Pacific Rim, where when you look toward the east, you see "The West," and when you look towards the west, you see "The East?"} ;)

LOL... indeed... when i look north, i see south and when i look south i see north. funny how that works on a sphere, eh?

:D

metta,

~v

Vajradhara said:
LOL... indeed... when i look north, i see south and when i look south i see north. funny how that works on a sphere, eh?

metta,

~v
LOL, well, I guess I've just learned your answer to:
Relatively Absolutionist, or Absolutely Relativistic?
{Either that, or it could mean that you're "over the hill," and I'm "around the bend."} :eek: :p :D

seattlegal said:
LOL, well, I guess I've just learned your answer to:

{Either that, or it could mean that you're "over the hill," and I'm "around the bend."} :eek: :p :D

HAHAHA i think i've a t-shirt somewhere related to my being "over the hill" :p

Back