Proof for God's Non-Existence

Welllll,

Since I started this thread I suppose I should have set up parameters.

"GOD" is simply a concept/being/force that is responsible for creating everything.

I was not implying my personal concept of God, hence I did not use a particular name, just a descriptor or universally understood "title".

Second, I should have titled it "Evidence for God's Non-Existence" as opposed to "proof for God's Non-Existence".

Third, I did not expect to witness "slam dancing" especially from the superiorly civilized members that we enjoy at CR.

I would like to see this "exercise" continue, however not at the expense of alienating ourselves from eachother (over tribal deity images, or the lack of).

Please consider.

v/r

Q

Quahom said:
Second, I should have titled it "Evidence for God's Non-Existence" as opposed to "proof for God's Non-Existence".
Good call, Q.

Quahom said:
Third, I did not expect to witness "slam dancing" especially from the superiorly civilized members that we enjoy at CR.
What is 'slam dancing'?

Hmmm evidence for the non-existence of gods. All of them (gods)?

I would only submit the absence of evidence for the positive.

Some people also believe evil to be evidence for the non-existence of the god in the bible. Something to think about.

Jaiket said:
What is 'slam dancing'?

"Slam dancing" is when people go to opposite ends of a room, and then run at eachother, leap into the air, and SLAM eachother in the chest, all to the sound of "music" (for lack of a better term), so loud it ruptures one's ear drums.

This form of dancing can also cause teeth to fly from the mouth, groins to be severly bruised and extremities to be fractured, not to mention ruptured lungs, spleens, lacerated livers and thorasic displacement of other internal organs...

v/r

Q

hey Q, i do not personally consider the words which flew through here "slamming;" but rather "juiciness," gets the imaginative juices going; it is but "in-spir-ation," (triggers some inflow of the "spirit" shall we say?) So, please let's keep the flow re this going for the many added angles it provides on such an " in-spir-ational" & "en-thusiasitc, ("entheos"iastic) subject. so, if it's on my sake, don't worry about it.:) Love it and God bless, Earl

earl said:
hey Q, i do not personally consider the words which flew through here "slamming;" but rather "juiciness," gets the imaginative juices going; it is but "in-spir-ation," (triggers some inflow of the "spirit" shall we say?) So, please let's keep the flow re this going for the many added angles it provides on such an " in-spir-ational" & "en-thusiasitc, ("entheos"iastic) subject. so, if it's on my sake, don't worry about it.:) Love it and God bless, Earl

Good Evening Earl,

Others begged to differ on certain posts. So we erred on the side of caution. Moderators have no intention (as of now) to can this thread, but we had to emphasise where this thread is, and what CR is about.

For a moment there I was regretting even creating this thread. It was not meant to "piss anyone off" (forgive the sailor in me). But it did.

As long as majority wants it to stay and majority can maintain composure, we'll have this topic around for folk to dive into...

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
Welllll,

Since I started this thread I suppose I should have set up parameters.

"GOD" is simply a concept/being/force that is responsible for creating everything.

I was not implying my personal concept of God, hence I did not use a particular name, just a descriptor or universally understood "title".

I would like to see this "exercise" continue, however not at the expense of alienating ourselves from eachother (over tribal deity images, or the lack of).

Please consider.

Thanks Q. Appreciate the intervention. I guess I would have two question just to narrow it down a little more. Should this concept/being/force be considered an agent in our human sense? That is, would it need to be a conscious being molding the universe, the way a potter molds a vase? Or could it also be a concept/being/force that is not self-conscious in the way we understand it. Also, would this concept/being/God be purely immanent, or both immanent and transcendent? I'm not trying to annoy, but I think this might help you get some focussed responses. To summarize my two questions:

1. Does this God need to be a conscious being in our ordinary understanding of the word?
2. Does this God need to be transcendent as well as immanent, both beyond the world and in the world?

Thanks again for the narrowing down of the question.

Devadatta said:
Thanks Q. Appreciate the intervention. I guess I would have two question just to narrow it down a little more. Should this concept/being/force be considered an agent in our human sense? That is, would it need to be a conscious being molding the universe, the way a potter molds a vase? Or could it also be a concept/being/force that is not self-conscious in the way we understand it. Also, would this concept/being/God be purely immanent, or both immanent and transcendent? I'm not trying to annoy, but I think this might help you get some focussed responses. To summarize my two questions:

1. Does this God need to be a conscious being in our ordinary understanding of the word?
2. Does this God need to be transcendent as well as immanent, both beyond the world and in the world?

Thanks again for the narrowing down of the question.

You're welcome.

Now I can not answer your questions, because that would put parameters around the issue. (I just wanted everyone to stop gearing up for a religious battle).

God is a concept/being/force...

Or is there something else?

Working with that, can you show evidence, that God does not exist? (yes I am still holding on to my original question, and nor will I provide exclusions to the rule) ;)

v/r

Q

Last edited:
Kindest Regards to all!

What a lively thread! I must technically agree with the point that proving a negative is not really possible. However, I also understand the frustration behind the intent that began the thread. That frustration has made itself very evident in certain posts.

While following over the weekend, I thought of a couple of things to stir the pot. Of course, this question may be better in the thread about proving God, but since the discussion has grown elsewhere there my question would seem out of place, so I will bring it here.

It seems to me those who believe in "God" do so from personal experience and upbringing (indoctrination). Those who don't likewise do so from personal experience and indoctrination. So everyone's perspective is relative, and subject to our rather limited views of a vast unknowable.

My question revolves around the point that God is not because God cannot be seen, measured or quantified. So, my question is this: "Can love be proved?" A logical extension is "Can morality be proved?" Neither love nor morality can be seen or quantitatively measured, yet we know they exist. And neither love nor morality can be shown definitively to be evolutionary strictly out of biological components. Yet, I would hazard a guess that even a person who adamantly believes God does not exist, would have to acknowledge that both love and morality do exist. So where did love and morality come from?

Devadatta said:
In my opinion, no. At least, not in the sense traditionally described.

Either/or, neither/both. All of the above. I do not require understanding of how God operates in order to understand that God does operate. Whether or not God "hears" my every word, "sees" my every move, or not, makes no difference. Whether God has lesser beings, "Guardian angels" so to speak, to carry out the light work, is irrelevent. Whether God is or can be spirit or physical, matter or energy, or not, is irrelevent. Whether or not God can intervene or manipulate the Grand Design God built is irrelevent. That any or all of these things can seem to be in play at given moments in the course of any one of our lives is what is relevent. Quantifiable and objective? Obviously not. Experiential and doctrinal. Indeed. And all relative to who we are, what we are capable of seeing and understanding, and in terms that are meaningful to each of us as individuals.

Quahom1 said:
You're welcome.

Now I can not answer your questions, because that would put parameters around the issue. (I just wanted everyone to stop gearing up for a religious battle).

God is a concept/being/force...

Or is there something else?

Working with that, can you show evidence, that God does not exist? (yes I am still holding on to my original question, and nor will I provide exclusions to the rule) ;)

Hi Q. I’m okay with this. But while we’re sticking to principles, I’ll stick with mine and restate my belief that properly speaking the burden of evidence has to be from the other side. However, in recognition of this new & relaxed environment, and in the spirit of diversion let’s soldier on – although maybe the real question is why some of us have a incurable weakness for these things.:eek:

From what you’ve set out I’m going with the assumption that we’re not dealing with any culture-bound definition of God. I’m also going to assume that you’re proposing a God that is both in the world and beyond it, and is conscious in some sense we can understand. In other words, this God has a personality at least partially accessible to our thought. As well, I’m going to proceed without the support of any scripture, theist, buddhist, or of any other kind. My only support will be what we in general see of the universe, from our little corner.

In fact, if this exercise is to make any sense at all – and it still may not – I think we have to propose a personal God of this kind.

So personality being the key notion, that’s what the evidence needs to speak to. What constitutes evidence of personality, as we understand it? Another huge question with lots of answers. I’m tossing out four, for the purposes of this discussion:

Evidence for the existence of God as personality:
1. An articulated form. Any notion of personality in the ordinary sense (I would argue) must be paired with a kind of body. God of course can also be beyond this form, but as with any other personality, some form would be necessary to God as personality.
2. A divine signature. One would expect such a mighty work as creation to leave traces of its maker, if that maker also has a personality. Every great artist leaves a signature.
3. A single biographical arc, or story line.
4. A single integrated, unitary personality.

So, with these definitions in mind, here are evidences against the existence of God as personality:
1. The universe is formless. Whether you go with big bang or steady state, or delve into the deep structures of matter/energy, the universe does not exhibit any articulated form or body that can be remotely paired with what we think of as “personality”. Of course, the universe exhibits regularities, causes, conditions, etc., but none of these answer to the requirement of a form appropriate to an idea of personality.
2. The universe is signless. Now, you may object that I’m being sly, and that both this and the previous statement are not assertions of positive evidence; in fact, they are positive assertions of what simple observation tells us: the universe has no set form, and no sign of personality in our human sense. (This touches of course on the argument from design; but let’s remember that we’re talking specifically about a God with personality. The universe may be fantastically complex and replete with extraordinary organizations of matter & energy. That can suggest many ideas, theories & feelings. A personality in the human sense I would argue is not one.)
3. The universe, as evidenced in Earthly affairs, has innumerable story lines. Leaving aside the arc of history of all the other species of life on Earth, human & pre-human history reveals innumerable stories and innumerable revelations incapable of being fit into any definite story line. Or, again, we can write a story line, but it would be one so broad and inclusive that it could no longer be seen as the work of a unified personality, or Divine Will, as is it’s sometimes called.
4. By the evidence of human culture, God has innumerable personalities. Comparative religion, comparative mythology, history of ideas all can show commonalities in ideas of God, but no unified personality in any meaningful sense. That is, different notions of God may include values like “compassion”, but still differ widely as personalities, just as you and I may agree on the importance of compassion while being widely different personalities. The existence of these innumerable personalities is for me evidence that we may all be experiencing the same ultimate reality but that the personalities we create for it are our own.

That’s my 4 cents. But I would like to remind everyone that here I’m only providing evidence against the idea of God as personality. This has nothing to do with God in the larger sense – which you may find peeking around the corners of my definition.

Bye bye.

juantoo3 said:
Either/or, neither/both. All of the above. I do not require understanding of how God operates in order to understand that God does operate. Whether or not God "hears" my every word, "sees" my every move, or not, makes no difference. Whether God has lesser beings, "Guardian angels" so to speak, to carry out the light work, is irrelevent. Whether God is or can be spirit or physical, matter or energy, or not, is irrelevent. Whether or not God can intervene or manipulate the Grand Design God built is irrelevent. That any or all of these things can seem to be in play at given moments in the course of any one of our lives is what is relevent. Quantifiable and objective? Obviously not. Experiential and doctrinal. Indeed. And all relative to who we are, what we are capable of seeing and understanding, and in terms that are meaningful to each of us as individuals.

Hey Juantoo3. (I just got the pun, shows you how slow I am!) You're right these observatons would have been more to the point on the other thread, which I agree got derailed. On the other hand, I appreciate your comments, and I'm very sympathetic to your open view of things.

As for my two questions, they weren't meant to be addressed directly, but only posed to Q to perhaps narrow the ground of the discussion.

But again thanks for your comments.

Cheers.

Kindest Regards, Jaiket!

Some people also believe evil to be evidence for the non-existence of the god in the bible.
Perhaps from people who have not read the Bible. Otherwise they would understand that evil is but one more part of the overall creation.

Besides, does not the term "evil" require a kind of "faith" from atheists? If there were no God, there would be no "evil," nor would there be "good." Every act, even the most unconscionable, would be acceptable. Without humanity's concepts of good and evil, morality, all is fair. Murder, war, theft, greed, etc..., all would be just another day at the office. There would be nothing we construe as child molestation, terrorism, ecological disaster, or any of a litany of heinous crimes against humanity.

Now, I realize most atheists posit that they can be moral without God. Very well, but I would suggest that is only a requirement for social acceptance. In other words, atheists are only moral because the law requires them to be, and are no more moral than required of them. I do not think it takes a rocket scientist to realize the logical conclusion, that if law were done away and morality would no longer be required, that without some "God" concept, people would become immoral animals.

So, perhaps "God" is a construct of the human mind. If so, then it is a construct that has taken us far beyond being merely animals. :)

Kindest Regards, Devadatta!

Thank you for your kind words.

1. The universe is formless.
While I can agree with you on a personal level that God does not have a personality per se that can be begged for intervention, which would seem to me to circumvent the purpose of the Grand Design, I also know from personal experience that God answers prayer. How God does this is obviously out of the scope of my understanding, I don't think I would comprehend rationally and fully even if I were capable of seeing. And prayer is not always answered in the way we personally desire our prayer to be answered, yet prayer when answered it is for our betterment.

I could add that "the universe exhibits regularities, causes, conditions, etc., but none of these answer to the requirement of a form appropriate to an idea of personality", also can describe "personality." That is, a perfect form created descibes a perfect personality. Now, the catch is in what exactly composes "perfect," the human description does not necessarily coincide with God's description. As in: "why would a perfect God create an imperfect world?" To which I have to answer: "what makes you think God has created an imperfect world?" and "whose definition of perfect are we using here?" In other words, while your argument makes sense to you from your perspective, it does not make sense to me from mine. This argument against is in reality moot.

2. The universe is signless.
Since the previous argument is moot in that it does not really describe or not whether God has personality, the argument that the universe is signless is debatable as well. Could it not be rather that we are not generally able to read the signs? "The universe has no set form, and no sign of personality in our human sense." contradicts the statement that "the universe exhibits regularities, causes, conditions, etc." The universe does indeed have a set form, in that gravity and light and matter and energy all operate within a preset scale of parameters. So, from my perspective, the universe is not "formless." Besides, we have yet to see outside the bounds of our universe, we cannot say with any certainty just what our universe looks like. But what we can see holds to certain parameters and conditions. The universal laws are immutable and unchanging, and cannot be rewritten to suit our fancies of a given moment.

3. The universe, as evidenced in Earthly affairs, has innumerable story lines.
I would suggest here: "Human & pre-human history reveals innumerable stories and innumerable revelations incapable of being fit into any definite story line. Or, again, we can write a story line, but it would be one so broad and inclusive that it could no longer be seen as the work of a unified personality," that diversity is not evidence of non-existence of common source. Again, I will here posit individual relative perspective. Even in looking to a couple of ficticious primitive societies, one sea-based and the other woodland-based, both cultures looking to describe the same phenomena would use terminology that makes sense and meaning to themselves without direct regard for the others. The one may ascribe certain issues to the sea, while the other may ascribe those very same issues to the animals and plants of the forest. A buffalo has little to no meaning to a culture based on the sea, just as Poseidon has little to no meaning to a culture based on hunting/gathering in the forest.

4. By the evidence of human culture, God has innumerable personalities.
That God seems to display different personalities across innumerable cultures still does not negate the existence of God. Again, these diverse personalities are reflections of different cultures attempting to explain the same phenomena. What I find fascinating is that so many cultures attempted to define the phenomena, effectively all of them. All saw the same things. I would be much more inclined to agree with you if only a select and minor representative sample even made the attempt to begin with. But the anthropological evidence states otherwise, in that "religion" is attributed to even the most early socieites we have discovered. (I will qualify this by saying that I mean the uncovering of "settlements," not necessarily isolated individuals) Whenever a contextual setting has been uncovered, there has been reason to believe religion comprised some component of each culture. In short, even in the earliest time we can fairly definitively say humans had what we term culture, there was acknowledgement of something greater than the individuals that comprised that culture.

So again, diversity is not proof of non-existence of a common source, particularly when there is a great similarity in the what is being described even if not in the how it is described.

If there were nothing to describe, why did any of them even bother to begin with?

Last edited:
juantoo3 said:
If there were nothing to describe, why did any of them even bother to begin with?

Hi again. I appreciate your thoughtful & interesting comments, many of which I wouldn't quibble with, some of which I might only situate a little differently.

But in terms of our dialogue, I think you perhaps misunderstand my aims. As I tried to make clear, I'm presenting evidence against the idea of a personal God, not against the idea of God in the largest sense. I carefully pointed out that the various ideas about the personality of God do point to a common reality or experience, whatever words we prefer to us. So yes, there is very much something to describe.

(Also, keep in mind that this thread is only about presenting evidence, not proving anything.)

Again, all I'm questioning here is whether God can have a personality in the ordinary sense of the word. All the evidence I presented is keyed to that: that is the whole focus; it goes no farther.

For example, this is not evidence against your experience of prayer, or even the reality of prayer; it's only evidence against the common notions of what we mean by a "personal" God in relation to prayer.

That God may work in "mysterious ways" as you suggest is precisely the point; these are not the ways of a personality as we understand the term. Now you may qualify "personality" in some way, with adjectives like perfect, divine, etc., but that only points to the gulf between.

I think what we've come to is precisely that gulf between the human on the one hand, and the divine, the absolute or God on the other. To bridge that gulf has been a perennial preoccupation, so I don't think we'll solve it here. But in a simple way it comes down to a distinction between two paths:

1. The theistic, metaphysical, absolutist path which creates articulated steps between, and includes theories of emanation, incarnation, the personhod of God, Divine Will, the trinity of Christianity, the ten sefirot of the Kabbalah, - but the variety is endless.
2. The non-theistic, anti-metaphysical, pluralist path which is experienial, relying on direct approaches between the individual and the absolute, and which is represented by various types of yoga, Buddhism, Santana Dharma (Hinduism) at its core, and by the mystical strands of all traditions.

I more than lean toward Door #2, which is why I've presented the kind of evidence I have, but I don't oppose Door #1 as a path for others, and in fact in the all over scheme these are complementary realities, always implicated one with the other and never appearing in a pure form. (And again, my evidence is presented against a literal belief in the personality of God, not against the deployment of the idea within a spiritual tradition.)

Cheers.

juantoo3 said:
Kindest Regards, Devadatta!

Thank you for your kind words.

While I can agree with you on a personal level that God does not have a personality per se that can be begged for intervention, which would seem to me to circumvent the purpose of the Grand Design, I also know from personal experience that God answers prayer. How God does this is obviously out of the scope of my understanding, I don't think I would comprehend rationally and fully even if I were capable of seeing. And prayer is not always answered in the way we personally desire our prayer to be answered, yet prayer when answered it is for our betterment.

I could add that "the universe exhibits regularities, causes, conditions, etc., but none of these answer to the requirement of a form appropriate to an idea of personality", also can describe "personality." That is, a perfect form created descibes a perfect personality. Now, the catch is in what exactly composes "perfect," the human description does not necessarily coincide with God's description. As in: "why would a perfect God create an imperfect world?" To which I have to answer: "what makes you think God has created an imperfect world?" and "whose definition of perfect are we using here?" In other words, while your argument makes sense to you from your perspective, it does not make sense to me from mine. This argument against is in reality moot.

Since the previous argument is moot in that it does not really describe or not whether God has personality, the argument that the universe is signless is debatable as well. Could it not be rather that we are not generally able to read the signs? "The universe has no set form, and no sign of personality in our human sense." contradicts the statement that "the universe exhibits regularities, causes, conditions, etc." The universe does indeed have a set form, in that gravity and light and matter and energy all operate within a preset scale of parameters. So, from my perspective, the universe is not "formless." Besides, we have yet to see outside the bounds of our universe, we cannot say with any certainty just what our universe looks like. But what we can see holds to certain parameters and conditions. The universal laws are immutable and unchanging, and cannot be rewritten to suit our fancies of a given moment.

I would suggest here: "Human & pre-human history reveals innumerable stories and innumerable revelations incapable of being fit into any definite story line. Or, again, we can write a story line, but it would be one so broad and inclusive that it could no longer be seen as the work of a unified personality," that diversity is not evidence of non-existence of common source. Again, I will here posit individual relative perspective. Even in looking to a couple of ficticious primitive societies, one sea-based and the other woodland-based, both cultures looking to describe the same phenomena would use terminology that makes sense and meaning to themselves without direct regard for the others. The one may ascribe certain issues to the sea, while the other may ascribe those very same issues to the animals and plants of the forest. A buffalo has little to no meaning to a culture based on the sea, just as Poseidon has little to no meaning to a culture based on hunting/gathering in the forest.

That God seems to display different personalities across innumerable cultures still does not negate the existence of God. Again, these diverse personalities are reflections of different cultures attempting to explain the same phenomena. What I find fascinating is that so many cultures attempted to define the phenomena, effectively all of them. All saw the same things. I would be much more inclined to agree with you if only a select and minor representative sample even made the attempt to begin with. But the anthropological evidence states otherwise, in that "religion" is attributed to even the most early socieites we have discovered. (I will qualify this by saying that I mean the uncovering of "settlements," not necessarily isolated individuals) Whenever a contextual setting has been uncovered, there has been reason to believe religion comprised some component of each culture. In short, even in the earliest time we can fairly definitively say humans had what we term culture, there was acknowledgement of something greater than the individuals that comprised that culture.

So again, diversity is not proof of non-existence of a common source, particularly when there is a great similarity in the what is being described even if not in the how it is described.

Very interesting thoughts, juantoo. While I tend to agree with you that "all prayers are answered," as you point out, the only way we might realize they were is if we can suspend our "self"-ish wants, open our eyes & mind & see what's happened and how it fits the bigger, broader picture. I will rely on Vajradhara to correct what may be a misstatement by me, but as I understand traditional Buddhist philosophy, their chief disputation that there is a "creator God," relates to how so many of us define "God-" as an entity that pulls the strings from above or that "creates" as a doll maker has shaped a piece of wood into its current form. My heretical take on both the "buddhist" and theistic notions of "God" leads me to believe those camps may be simply different sides of the same coin. Buddhists tend to think of an enlightened individual as one who has overcome any notions of self and in so doing allows every action to be "right" for oneself and others simutaneously in that moment. One is by being in that flow then in a way serving some innate force that serves to bring forth what is innately right in all beings. One can only do that in Buddhism by moving beyond our "small-minded self" to contact, enact that force, which Buddhism sees as who we fundamentally "are." As I've said before in this thread; to me that suggests a "sentient design/intent" whether 1 chooses to find a "designer." Similarly, in theistic religions, one can only theoretically contact and enact "God's" will by setting aside ego-bound concerns and perceptions to enlarge the heart/mind. When we manage that it does seem in those moments what we do for another we truly have done for ourselves in the bigger scheme of things. I use the term "openness" dimension of a religion-when we have moved into that open heart-mind space where the flow works for some larger purpose no matter how momentarily inconvenient for our "ego." What is this seemingly "intelligent design?" Call it Buddha Mind, call it God, call it Joe-doesn't matter. But you're right juantoo that best we can tell going back to prehistoric culture of earliest known vintage, humanity has always been reaching out to, looking for, and/or honoring that "something." Whatever you want to call it, we honor ourselves and the bigger whole best whenever we can find that heart-mind space. Take care, Earl

Kindest Regards again, Devadatta!

BTW, I am really enjoying the discourse between you and Vaj on the other thread, one more reason I chose to post here rather than there, so as not to disrupt that conversation.

But in terms of our dialogue, I think you perhaps misunderstand my aims. As I tried to make clear, I'm presenting evidence against the idea of a personal God, not against the idea of God in the largest sense. I carefully pointed out that the various ideas about the personality of God do point to a common reality or experience, whatever words we prefer to us. So yes, there is very much something to describe.
I think I understand, you are supposing that God, as in "Big Beard" or "Big Tits" in the sky (thanks, bb!), does not exist. And to that I have agreed. God, in my mind, is masculine and feminine, neither and both. Truly paradox. And I have no problem understanding "Him" in that context. And I stand by my earlier statements, in that your arguments against a "personality" are actually moot and do not serve the purpose of either evidence or proof. Is it not possible we do not understand how to read the signs? I know I do not know. Are you telling me you do, and don't see them? I mean, proving a negative is admittedly difficult. But even then the "evidence" should at least be consistent with the argument. What I see, and have for years in the discussion, is circumstantial on both sides. Because "science" cannot "see" God, does not mean God does not exist. As to whether or not God has a personality, in the traditional sense, I cannot say, because I have not had the direct pleasure of His company. My little pea-brained self stands in awe of His presence. To dare ascribe something as meaningless as personality to something so "awe-full" and "awe-inspiring" is truly beyond what I dare. Maybe He does, maybe He doesn't. All I know, in what scanty little I understand within my little pea-brain, is that it doesn't matter. What does matter, is that He IS.

Thank you for your posts. You have been a great sport through all of this discussion.

Kindest Regards, earl!

I find your posts in general to be thoughtful and introspective. I appreciate your comments here as well.

While I tend to agree with you that "all prayers are answered," as you point out, the only way we might realize they were is if we can suspend our "self"-ish wants, open our eyes & mind & see what's happened and how it fits the bigger, broader picture.
OK, I'm not positive that is really what I meant, at least in total. I find myself generally agreeing, yet some prayers are answered best by not being answered.

I also have some perceptual trouble with the concept of doing away with "self." I understand that to be a core component of Buddhism. Yet, self is what defines each of us as individuals. To further complicate matters, philosophically, I do not see "selfish" as inherently wrong or bad. I will agree that "self" to the exclusion of others is not good. But is not "self" also "personality?," in the sense that without self we have no personality, nothing that denotes or defines any of us as individuals? I cannot help but think that in the effort to gain the "collective mind," that Buddhism as a philosophy loses sight of the beauty that is (or at least, can be) the individual.

I will rely on Vajradhara to correct what may be a misstatement by me,
Vajradhara is wonderful for that.

but as I understand traditional Buddhist philosophy, their chief disputation that there is a "creator God," relates to how so many of us define "God-" as an entity that pulls the strings from above or that "creates" as a doll maker has shaped a piece of wood into its current form.
I find myself in agreement with the concept, if not the application. I think in terms, rightly or wrongly only God knows, that once set in motion, the natural laws that govern the universe cannot be undone. Willy-nilly "pulling of strings" would upset that balance, if it even could be done. This does not prevent the possibility of some agent acting (even invisibly) on behalf of God, such as angels (spirits, ghosts, demons or any of a host of other terms for spirit entities. Obviously not all, and this is not even stated as assurance or evidence, just a possibility, one of many possibilities, of which we will likely only know the actual factual truth once we leave this existence.) I do not personally think God can be bothered with our personal disasters, and leaves this "light work" to those to whom these duties have been given.

My heretical take on both the "buddhist" and theistic notions of "God" leads me to believe those camps may be simply different sides of the same coin.
I have watched your "heresy" over the course of your threads, and find myself more and more in general agreement. Not through your specific posts, but my own learning has lead me further along in this direction.

Buddhists tend to think of an enlightened individual as one who has overcome any notions of self and in so doing allows every action to be "right" for oneself and others simutaneously in that moment.
Yeah, see, I have a little difficulty with this. I am sure it is a cultural thing that does not translate well in the West. "Every action being right" effectively in my mind means "no morality." I realize this is not the intent, and that words fail to capture the essense, especially in this. Provided one has good intent to begin with, perhaps one could begin to say that every action is right. However, since from my perspective people are fallible, every action cannot possibly be right, even with good intent. Even good people, even enlightened people.

One is by being in that flow then in a way serving some innate force that serves to bring forth what is innately right in all beings. One can only do that in Buddhism by moving beyond our "small-minded self" to contact, enact that force, which Buddhism sees as who we fundamentally "are."
There is an element of trust required here, that I am not willing to breach just yet. Since I accept that all "spirit" is not all "good," then I have this little qualifier that says "try the spirits." "You will know them by their fruit." There are things about "using" the "force" that disturb me at a spiritual level.

Case in point; I do not seek dreams or visions. In my mind, that is not the correct way to go about things. In the course of my seeking, I may find something that masquerades as what I am looking for. No, I do not seek. Yet, from time to time, and never is the time known beforehand to me, I have dreams and visions. Now, I suppose I could as easily mistrust those dreams that come to me without my seeking. Yet they have not to this point let me down. I do not have that level of faith or trust if I go looking.

As I've said before in this thread; to me that suggests a "sentient design/intent" whether 1 chooses to find a "designer."
I am not fully sure I follow, but I think I agree in concept.

Similarly, in theistic religions, one can only theoretically contact and enact "God's" will by setting aside ego-bound concerns and perceptions to enlarge the heart/mind. When we manage that it does seem in those moments what we do for another we truly have done for ourselves in the bigger scheme of things. I use the term "openness" dimension of a religion-when we have moved into that open heart-mind space where the flow works for some larger purpose no matter how momentarily inconvenient for our "ego." What is this seemingly "intelligent design?" Call it Buddha Mind, call it God, call it Joe-doesn't matter.
Perhaps you are more experienced in spiritual matters than I, there is really no issue there. I still have some trouble getting beyond the "self" here. Is it not "self" that directs us in unselfish actions? Granted, that self may be acted upon by: conscience, spirit, faith, doctrine...but without self there is nothing to direct. Maybe better stated, there is no individual to direct in the collective.

best we can tell going back to prehistoric culture of earliest known vintage, humanity has always been reaching out to, looking for, and/or honoring that "something." Whatever you want to call it, we honor ourselves and the bigger whole best whenever we can find that heart-mind space.
I am only just beginning to reach out spiritually, ever mindful of caution. Even in the context of "go with the flow," I cannot help but want to jump up on top with a surf board and steer a course along that flow. (The image of the "Silver Surfer" plays so well in my mind to this regard...) I do not have the level of trust required to just let go and see where the flow takes me, I feel it is my "selfish" imperative to be responsible for me, to steer my course myself, and not trust my soul to any other human, doctrinally or spiritually.

But that is just the way I see things. To each their own. My hope is that God will guide those who sincerely seek "Him," in whatever way this is suitably translated across cultures, traditions and religions.

I have learned a great deal about Buddhist beliefs here, especially lately with the discussions on the other thread, as well your contributions Earl. I find a lot I can agree with, in that it seems to correspond with my learning. And there is a lot that still seems contrary to me. Not enough to separate myself from Buddhists, but enough to exercise caution. All the while knowing that it may well be my perception that is not quite accurate, yet it is what I have for now, and so far it seems to work pretty well for me.

Don't have to worry about losing a "personality" or individuality by losing the Buddhist meaning of "self." Simply put what is meant by this is a case of "mistaken identity:" self meaning self-concept; who we take ourselves to be. "I'm a this, not a that,etc." Also involves all the myriad cravings and aversions we develop based on what we insist must occur for our "selves." The Buddhist path is in part about discovering that none of those parts of what you take to be "you" is definitive of you and further on the meditative journey as a result of changes in perception and accompanying emoptional reactivity, we find ourselves less pushed about by our less noble impulses-what hesychastic
Christians called the "passions." We become more truly ourselves in that we then tend to live lives of less fear, hostility, and craving-so much of our behaviors as we get to know ourselves we discover is motivated/based in such things. Ultimately, we learn to stop creating self "concepts" altogether. Buddhism has a well-developed ethical system; but from the Buddhist sense of overcoming self then-or to be enlightened-implies that one is acting with great wisdom and compassion and if one isn't in that moment one definitionally is acting from some as yet "self-based" view. Their are plenty of "individual" characters in Zen lore. As to that "force" thing-sounds kinda Star Wars doesn't it?:p But that's not what I meant by that. Just that I can't refer to "Buddha Mind/enlightenment as a "thing" or entity. Then again I obviously think it's a mistake to think of "God" that way, too. Anyway, just thought I'd give you a bit more info to clarify that part of the Buddhist thing I was getting at. Have a good one, Earl

Hi, and Peace to All Here--

It looks as if I might be able to ask this question here. It is a question I have been wondering about for a long time.

In Christianity, there is what is called "the indwelling of the Spirit." Scripture also promises that when we subordinate our will to (God's, the Father's, the Great Spirit's, I AM's, Love--whatever we call that which is higher--sorry this part is difficult for me because I do not feel comfortable with "That Which Is and Always Has Been" because it sounds like an "It" to me--hope everyone understands), that we will walk in the Light of Truth. Of course, for the Christian, Truth is Christ, but I am not here to preach (guess I would if someone asked, LOL) No--I am here to learn something. Anyway, my question is how similar is this to the Buddhist concept of, as Earl put it, "losing self"?

I hope this is not too far off the original idea of the post, but this is something I really want to investigate, and it just seems like a good opportunity, while we are on the subject.

This thread has survived a great deal. Just want to say that I am sincere, and I do not want to cause problems, just looking for answers:) .

(Edited to add: If this post is inappropriate here, then please move it, mods--just let me know where I might find it:D. Or if anyone here in the discussion thinks it should be moved, then let the the moderaters know, or just tell me, and I will post it elsewhere.)

InPeace,
InLove

juantoo3 said:
Kindest Regards, Jaiket!
Indeed my best regards to yourself for a provocative and intelligent response.

I said: Some people also believe evil to be evidence for the non-existence of the god in the bible.

To which you responded:
juantoo3 said:
Perhaps from people who have not read the Bible. Otherwise they would understand that evil is but one more part of the overall creation.
When I stressed some people, I did mean other than myself. I haven't looked into the issue in any detail because I am poorly acquainted with the bible, and for that reason I cannot discuss your response fully. My apologies for my ignorance.

All I can offer is little more than second-hand idle chat. I have been informed (by non-theists) that the god in the bible is perfectly benign, all-powerful, all-knowing, and ever present (omnimax I think was the term they shortened this definition to). The existence of evil is then surely contradictory to the existence of this being? Maybe not, several times I've heard reasonably satisfying answers to this problem, but definitely not complete solutions.

I tend to look at it as such; god (in my limited understanding) most likely does not exist in the sense expressed earlier. This does not mean to me god/s do not exist however. I'm a pretty sloppy atheist, thinker, and orator though and other people could surely make a much stronger point of it than I.

My main contention as I explained earlier is the abscence of evidence for any god.

The rest of your points I will respond to in a new thread, since I feel it is dragging away from the topic at hand.

Cheers.

Hi InLove-hey know what you mean. When one prays it's a natural response to pray to "something/somebody," (did you know there's a history-long tradition of prayer in Buddhism, too?) That, too, I believe is an innate and therefore on some profound level of Reality I cannot even properly fathom no doubt very valid thing to do. I could go off on a multiprong tangent about Jesus here-but probably blabbed enough for now. Suffice it to say, among all the different things Jesus is and/or may be, he serves the important intermediary function in many ways including that-to become the more formed and tangible presence between the formless "I Am" God of the Old Testament and humanity. But, main reason I popped back in was in response to your question re similarity of the Christian sense of setting aside self and Buddhist. While I'm not really in position to reliably say if they're literally synonymous, will just say that there are many Christians practicing Zen, many books written regarding such, (more than a few by Catholic priests), because Christians had found this Buddhist practice both personally satisfying and complementary to their aspiration to become more open to God's direction which is hard to do when your "scared, angry, etc" self is chattering away. Bless you, Earl

Back