Are we real?

Greetings All,

"'The world is real.' 'No, it is mere illusory appearance'. The world is conscious'. 'No.' 'The world is happiness' No.' What use is it to argue thus? That state is agreeable to all, whrerin, having given up the objective outlook, one knows one's Self and loses all notions either of unity or duality, of oneself and the ego."

Verse 3 from 40 versus on Reality by Sri Ramana Maharshi

Love and Peace,
JM

like popeye said, "I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam!" This is the absoulte ultimate answer. There is no other answer and there is no need for another answer. You might as well look for a pot of gold under the rainbow along with anyother questions.

Even an ant will realise this.

Thanks.

An ant.

This is suddenly a very active thread in the Hindu forum is it not?!

Dreams are real, too, IMO. They are informative. Sometimes they are ideas which make their way into our waking hours. So, even if one perceives this everyday existence as illusion (as if we are the characters in another's dream), then wouldn't that make us real?
33.gif

Dreams are real, too, IMO. They are informative. Sometimes they are ideas which make their way into our waking hours. So, even if one perceives this everyday existence as illusion (as if we are the characters in another's dream), then wouldn't that make us real?
33.gif

Hi,

Following on from JM's post above:

"There is no difference between the dream and the waking states except that the dream is short and the waking long. Both are the result of the mind. Our real state, called turiya, is beyond the waking, dream and sleep states."

s.

Wow. Love it when that happens....

Edit: Just realized (how's that for an accidental pun?) that my above statement wasn't too clear. What I mean is that at least I had part of the idea even though I had not read it anywhere. But he does go farther. Me student.:D

I read where a novice baseball umpire was asked when the ball comes in at almost a hundred miles an hour and curves and the batter starts to swing and holds back and then you don't really know what the ball is...strike or ball... and the catcher and pitcher and batter and the entire crowd are all staring at you...how do you make the call...

And the seasoned professional says, "it ain't nothin until I tell them what it is"

I think it is real if we believe it is, if we say it is, if we affirm it is.

And when we believe it isn't, it is also true.

As I browse through the posts of some old friends, I cannot help but see the irony of this thread.

Maybe irony is the wrong word, call it an allegory instead,

I see people all around me, people with their own images, names and personalities but really, I have no proof that these messages are not all generated by software sitting on a server. Are you all real people or a collection of bots written by a creator-programmer?

Who "I am" appears coherent only because of the monologue we keep repeating, editing, censoring, and embellishing in our heads.

- Stephen Batchelor.​

I think this drifts abit but i found it interesting.

"The wise therefore rule by emptying hearts and stuffing bellies,
by weakening ambitions and strengthening bones.
If people lack knowledge and desire,
then intellectuals will not try to interfere.
If nothing is done, then all will be done." --Tao Te Ching 3

Who "I am" appears coherent only because of the monologue we keep repeating, editing, censoring, and embellishing in our heads.

- Stephen Batchelor.​

It does seem to be this constant stream of consciousness that creates and sustains the sense of "I" that then leads, itself, to the life of wanting more of that which pleases the "I", less of that which displeases the "I", the on-going "samsara" of birth and death. Why Buddhadasa Bhikkhu speaks of the heart of the Dharma as being that nothing whatsoever should be clung to as "I", "me" or "mine"...........all else being ultimately superfluous.

It explains why even simple breathing meditation is efficacious (like Lily the Pink's medicinal compound...:D ) in creating what could be termed a lighter sense of being, a small release from dukkha/suffering. After even just a few weeks of formal meditation of returning to the breath whenever the mind is found to wander, the mind finds itself - outside of such formal meditation - breaking into and interrupting the on-going stream of thoughts that itself creates the deep sense of "I". There is during each day a constant "awakening", a "returning to the moment/breath"...........and what is experienced is, as said before, a "lighter sense of being".

And, yes, I have found that Stephen Batchelor does indeed know his onions........

:)

Perhaps the narrative in our head shapes our ideas as to what we are and who we are, which then limits our options for changing our thinking, and our behaviour both now and (obviously) in the future. So the more we can let go of the past the freer we can become.

s.

Re: Are we real? --- YES.

this is an article in relavent to this question? like how "journey" and "destination" are two different thing, the same way, is the question and my comment.
Mission: To break the container that contains everything about me (“I”).
Preface:
The above listed are few of my favourite Trojans among them are few inspired from my spiritual teacher (Gopal, my respects to him, in his words he always used to say “people who visit me get infected”), and the list will go on, and im grateful and thankful that I met these Trojans in “this” life.
Intro:
Our life is a result of what we have thought” said the great Buddha and im sure he isn’t joking about this. Now if my life is a collection of memories about the events, situations, and emotions involved in them, etc. so I carry my respective wisdom bags with me at all time, and face my reality to the best of my knowledge.
About Trojan: for precise information you could get this movie called “troy” troy is a city, and they had the best barriers to protect their city from the intruders or enemies. Now Trojan are people for some political reasons would like to acquire troy. And Trojans betray them by sending a gift (a gigantic model of horse) which was stuffed with its soldiers, that night the soldiers come out of the horse (Trojan) and destroy the Troy. And so was the name given to the Trojan virus in IT that could destroy your operating system.
Trojan – Who am i?
Trojan – Am I Real?
Trojan – Am in struck in a dream?
Trojan – Who is it that is asking questions, who is answering, who is happy and who is not?
Trojan – who I want ? what I need?
Trojan – Am I happy? Should I try to be happy?
Trojan – am I asking the right question?
Trojan – Am I evaluating the “Right” way?
Trojan - now you add yours.
When one bombard these Trojan(s) in a particular interval, for a particular emotion(s), for a particular sequence I guess then our “WISDOM” (which is a part of our memory) which is a cluster (symbolically - coiled serpent) of much wisdom, this will start decompiling (unfold the knot) the cluster. This will lead to an extent that you would be able to see the origin of every thought that bind or associated with the other and procreated/ replicated/ extinguished/ revamped the other or the source thought(s) itself.
Dosage: “The Trojan” Adults should bombard this Trojan 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening.
Caution: Need to speak truth at all times.
Add-ons: faith, passion to know and doubt everything on the way, forgiving, and willing to stay till the “END”.
Symptoms:
Things that you should be aware are, when you try to ask these questions, your adoption and adaptation will rebel and could resist you at the gateway, for this it would bring in any possible, sensible or senseless, and try its level best to apply it as antidote to save you “SYSTEM”. Here they don’t care what they use to patch you up, it needs a result and will try every thing to stop you letting these Trojan into your “TROY” (a kingdom that had the great defensive wall, but the Trojan broke this and overthrew the kingdom). So be aware who is selling what to you.
Thank you

Back