How do you choose your religion?

Popeyesays said:
Baha`i, for instance, does not believe that ALL will become Baha`i. Nor does it require anyone to give up their previous belief.

True unity comes from diversity. Uniformity is loathesome.

Regards,
Scott

Hi Scott,

Yes, but how do you think it will work in the future Baha'i State, where non-Baha'is, people in gay relationships and people who marry without parental consent are all not allowed to vote?

It was this question that I found ultimately disturbing and eventually lead me to question the Baha'i Faith.

lunamoth

lunamoth said:
Hi Scott,

Yes, but how do you think it will work in the future Baha'i State, where non-Baha'is, people in gay relationships and people who marry without parental consent are all not allowed to vote?

It was this question that I found ultimately disturbing and eventually lead me to question the Baha'i Faith.

lunamoth

The Baha`i Faith is a religion, Lunamoth. It is not a state. The Faith would act as a kind of "Court of Last Appeals" in an international sense. Nations would take disputes before it for settlement.

The state is not superseded by the faith. Cultures, nations, ethnicity will all keep their diversity.

Gays are allowed to vote in Baha`i elections as long as they are celibate.
Rem oval of Baha`i administrative rights apply only to the faith not to the state.

Regards,
Scott

Popeyesays said:
The Baha`i Faith is a religion, Lunamoth. It is not a state. The Faith would act as a kind of "Court of Last Appeals" in an international sense. Nations would take disputes before it for settlement.

The state is not superseded by the faith. Cultures, nations, ethnicity will all keep their diversity.

Gays are allowed to vote in Baha`i elections as long as they are celibate.
Rem oval of Baha`i administrative rights apply only to the faith not to the state.

Regards,
Scott

Hi Scott, Thank you for your reply. But, what about these quotes by the Guardian Shoghi Effendi and also from Abdu'l Baha?

Not only will the present-day Spiritual Assemblies be styled differently
in future, but they will be enabled also to add to their present
functions those powers, duties, and prerogatives necessitated by
the recognition of the Faith of Bahá'u'lláh, not merely as one of
the recognized religious systems of the world, but as the State
Religion of an independent and Sovereign Power. And as the
Bahá'í Faith permeates the masses of the peoples of East and West,
and its truth is embraced by the majority of the peoples of a
number of the Sovereign States of the world, will the Universal
House of Justice attain the plenitude of its power, and exercise,
as the supreme organ of the Bahá'í Commonwealth, all the rights,
the duties, and responsibilities incumbent upon the world's future
super-state.
[331]
[331 Shoghi Effendi, World Order, pp. 6-7.]

This does not look like it means that the UHJ will answer to the state, but rather that the state will answer to the UHJ.

He has ordained and established the House of Justice, which is endowed with a political as well as a religious function, the consummate union and blending of church and state. This institution is under the protecting power of Bahá'u'lláh Himself. A universal, or international, House of Justice shall also be organized. Its rulings shall be in accordance with the commands and teachings of Bahá'u'lláh, and that which the Universal House of Justice ordains shall be obeyed by all mankind. This international House of Justice shall be appointed and organized from the Houses of Justice of the whole world, and all the world shall come under its administration. (Abdu'l-Baha, The Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 456)

Do not Baha'is believe that the Baha'i Administrative Order is the nucleus and model of the government of the Kingdom of God? I might have this wrong, but it was what I learned as a Baha'i.

peace,
lunamoth

Hi bandit.

Yes it’s all in the 'labels' – the ism’ists! As soon as one say’s this is what the bible means, then you have lost its true meaning, as only god or Jesus can say what the word of god is, for the rest of us we should be philosophical imho, after all Jesus was!

Would a dogmatist ride into Jerusalem on a donkey? I think not! Judge not or thou shalt be judged thyself – does that sound like dogmatism.

So you are a bit of a druid too eh - makes sense to me! I am glad you can see the deeper meaning of the bible – for me I only like the new testament, but I must admit I have not read it that many times, as this would lead me to a literal interpretation. I prefer to read religious books once or twice & let the spirit consume them. The bible affects us on a very deep level, where the soul can work behind the scenes, so to say [including but not just, the subconscious].

You’re right about Jesus, when I think about world events I just say to myself ‘what would Jesus do’! Would he go to war – no, under any circumstances – no, when people disagree then I say, it is the wisdom of the lord that people should live in peace! - weather or not Jesus believes it! Damn my impertinence eh! :D

Popeysays. Hello!

I agree – all that is needed is respect for others beliefs, there is no need for a world religion.

I would say that your path chooses you, not vice versa.

Z

lunamoth said:
Hi Scott, Thank you for your reply. But, what about these quotes by the Guardian Shoghi Effendi and also from Abdu'l Baha?

This does not look like it means that the UHJ will answer to the state, but rather that the state will answer to the UHJ.

Do not Baha'is believe that the Baha'i Administrative Order is the nucleus and model of the government of the Kingdom of God? I might have this wrong, but it was what I learned as a Baha'i.

peace,
lunamoth

Yes and no, Luna.

But states - nations - territories - principalities - federations - confederations, are political entities and there is no need to replace them.
How these political entities interact with one another is what the Lesser and Greater Peace is concerned with.

Government of states by law which recognizes the rights and responsibilities of individuals is not in opposition to the Kingdom of God.

Even Isaiah says the nations will beat their swords into plowshares, their spears into pruning hooks and look to the guidance of God's Kingdom. It does not say they will come to an end, does it?

"During this Formative Age of the Faith, and in the course of present and succeeding epochs, the last and crowning stage in the erection of the framework of the Administrative Order of the Faith of Bahá'u'lláh -- the election of the Universal House of Justice -- will have been completed, the Kitáb-i-Aqdas, the Mother-Book of His Revelation, will have been codified and its laws promulgated, the Lesser Peace will have been established, the unity of mankind will have been achieved and its maturity attained, the Plan conceived by 'Abdu'l-Bahá will have been executed, the emancipation of the Faith from the fetters of religious orthodoxy will have been effected, and its independent religious status will have been universally recognized, whilst in the course of the Golden Age, destined to consummate the Dispensation itself, the banner of the Most Great Peace, promised by its Author, will have been unfurled, the World Bahá'í Commonwealth will have emerged in the plenitude of its power and splendor, and the birth and efflorescence of a world civilization, the child of that Peace, will have conferred its inestimable blessings upon all mankind."
(Shoghi Effendi, Citadel of Faith, p. 6)
--------------------
Main Entry: com·mon·wealth
Pronunciation: -"welth also -"weltth
Function: noun
1 archaic : [size=-1]COMMONWEAL [/size]2
2 : a nation, state, or other political unit: as a : one founded on law and united by compact or tacit agreement of the people for the common good b : one in which supreme authority is vested in the people c : [size=-1]REPUBLIC[/size]
3 capitalized a : the English state from the death of Charles I in 1649 to the Restoration in 1660 b : [size=-1]PROTECTORATE [/size]1b
4 : a state of the U.S. -- used officially of Kentucky, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Virginia
5 capitalized : a federal union of constituent states -- used officially of Australia
6 often capitalized : an association of self-governing autonomous states more or less loosely associated in a common allegiance (as to the British crown)
pixt.gif

-----------------------------
"It must, however long and tortuous the way, lead, through a series of victories and reverses, to the political unification of the Eastern and Western Hemispheres, to the emergence of a world government and the establishment of the Lesser Peace, as foretold by Bahá'u'lláh and foreshadowed by the Prophet Isaiah."
(Shoghi Effendi, Citadel of Faith, p. 33)
------------
The Lesser Peace will be established by the nations independently from the Faith. It will come about through exhaustion.
-------------------
"The woes and tribulations which threaten it are partly avoidable, but mostly inevitable and God-sent, for by reason of them a government and people clinging tenaciously to the obsolescent doctrine of absolute sovereignty and upholding a political system, manifestly at variance with the needs of a world already contracted into a neighborhood and crying out for unity, will find itself purged of its anachronistic conceptions, and prepared to play a preponderating role, as foretold by 'Abdu'l-Bahá, in the hoisting of the standard of the Lesser Peace, in the unification of mankind, and in the establishment of a world federal government on this planet."
(Shoghi Effendi, Citadel of Faith, p. 126)
-----------------
""Be united, O concourse of the sovereigns of the world, for thereby will the tempest of discord be stilled amongst you, and your peoples find rest. Should any one among you take up arms against another, rise ye all against him, for this is naught but manifest justice." "The time must come," He, foreshadowing the tentative efforts that are now being made, has written, "when the imperative necessity for the holding of a vast, an all-embracing assemblage of men will be universally realized. The rulers and kings of the earth must needs attend it, and, participating in its deliberations, must consider such ways and means as will lay the foundations of the world's Great Peace among men... Should any king take up arms against another, all should unitedly arise and prevent him." [Words of Baha`u'llah quoted by]
(Shoghi Effendi, The World Order of Baha'u'llah, p. 192)
-----------------
The over-riding requirement for these things to come to pass is that all men give up their prejudices and realize that whatever nation or state, ethnicity or culture, faith or religion, they find themselves part of - they are still united in their humanity before God.

One does not have to become Baha`i by volition to accept that - one can STAY Muslim, Christian, Jew, Parsee, Hindu, Buddhist, Sikh, or anything and still see the truth of Unity in spirit.

The Greater Peace is to establish amity amongst thenations. How can it do this if it eradicates those nations?

Regards,
Scott

Popeyesays said:
Yes and no, Luna.

But states - nations - territories - principalities - federations - confederations, are political entities and there is no need to replace them.
How these political entities interact with one another is what the Lesser and Greater Peace is concerned with.

Government of states by law which recognizes the rights and responsibilities of individuals is not in opposition to the Kingdom of God.

Even Isaiah says the nations will beat their swords into plowshares, their spears into pruning hooks and look to the guidance of God's Kingdom. It does not say they will come to an end, does it?

The over-riding requirement for these things to come to pass is that all men give up their prejudices and realize that whatever nation or state, ethnicity or culture, faith or religion, they find themselves part of - they are still united in their humanity before God.

One does not have to become Baha`i by volition to accept that - one can STAY Muslim, Christian, Jew, Parsee, Hindu, Buddhist, Sikh, or anything and still see the truth of Unity in spirit.

The Greater Peace is to establish amity amongst thenations. How can it do this if it eradicates those nations?

Regards,
Scott

Hi Scott,

That's a good reply. Thank you. However, I still have a hard time following the logic all the way through since Baha'is are not allowed to become involved in politics. If at some point in the future the Faith has gained sufficient strength for the UHJ to supercede all the nations, who will be left to lead and organize those diverse nations? But, I'm with Queen Victoria on this one: if it is God's will the Baha'i Faith will endure. I think that some things will have to eventually be put back on the table for true community consultation if this is to happen, but that of course is just my conclusion.

I love the Baha'i message of peace.

peace,
lunamoth

I can’t see baha’I gaining that much ground in order to affect the world processes. Sorry but it is just difficult to see anything taking over from the main religions.

To be honest, before I came here I had never heard of it.

I don’t mean to be offensive – I am just speaking the voice that says the words.

Respect :) - Z

lunamoth said:
Hi Scott,

That's a good reply. Thank you. However, I still have a hard time following the logic all the way through since Baha'is are not allowed to become involved in politics. If at some point in the future the Faith has gained sufficient strength for the UHJ to supercede all the nations, who will be left to lead and organize those diverse nations? But, I'm with Queen Victoria on this one: if it is God's will the Baha'i Faith will endure. I think that some things will have to eventually be put back on the table for true community consultation if this is to happen, but that of course is just my conclusion.

I love the Baha'i message of peace.

peace,
lunamoth

Dear Luna,
We are not allowed to pursue partisan politics because political parties cause division not unity. I have not missed a local, state or federal election, referendum or bond issue in the thirty years I've been a Baha`i. Baha`is are URGED to participate in the government of their homes, but to refrain from appearing to support political parties.

As to your comment about putting things back on the table, well the Universal House of Justice is allowed to over-rule itself with cause. There are issues that will be revisited from time to time. This is a process after all, and no one knows the end of the process.

The Message of Peace is the hope of the world in the end.

Regards and Allah-u-abha!
Scott

Popeyesays said:
Dear Luna,
We are not allowed to pursue partisan politics because political parties cause division not unity. I have not missed a local, state or federal election, referendum or bond issue in the thirty years I've been a Baha`i. Baha`is are URGED to participate in the government of their homes, but to refrain from appearing to support political parties.

As to your comment about putting things back on the table, well the Universal House of Justice is allowed to over-rule itself with cause. There are issues that will be revisited from time to time. This is a process after all, and no one knows the end of the process.

The Message of Peace is the hope of the world in the end.

Regards and Allah-u-abha!
Scott

Allah-u-Abha Scott, :)

Yes, Baha'is can vote but they can't run for office where political parties are involved, such as in the USA. For myself I register independent even without the Baha'i Faith telling me to, but this also means that Baha'is can't vote in the primaries. They also can't get involved in political causes deemed divisive (are there any that aren't?? :D ). I guess you are assuming this will change once the majority of people are Baha'is, but then, this creeps ever closer to theocracy, no?

And as for "those issues" that need to be put back on the table for consultation, the UHJ has so far said that that is impossible. Do you think that will change?

peace,
lunamoth

_Z_ said:
I can’t see baha’I gaining that much ground in order to affect the world processes. Sorry but it is just difficult to see anything taking over from the main religions.

I don’t mean to be offensive – I am just speaking the voice that says the words.

Hi Z, not meaning to leave you out of the conversation. :) Your point is not offensive at all. Yes, it is difficult to believe how a religion so small could overtake the world, but every religion starts off as small and obscure.

peace,
lunamoth

Bandit said:
yah scott.
pluuuus, once a world religion goes into action, (which will inevitably rule), no new thoughts or beliefs on things will ever be allowed, unless the leader(s) of the world religion decide to change it. history! history! not a good idea.IMO
when i think it all the way through, i like freedom of religion/beliefs better.:)

Have you been listening?:rolleyes: I never said this new world religion would ban all other religions. Anyone is free to do as they wish but most likelly most people would come to this unifying faith, because then they get to taste all the fruit of all religions:).

Lunamoth. Hi

Lets hope then that there is a world left for you, by the time you have grown! :)

silverbackman.

does that include all religions - pagan, druid, neh even Satanism?

Z

Luna Moth:

I think this may be a little off the original topic here but you may recall we Baha'is have a very long range perspective... as the future unfolds..

In the beginning our Faith will emerge from obscurity... which in most areas is probably still the case.

In later stages there may be a some cases where Baha'is become recognized our Faith becomes a more legal entity..

A few countries in the future may have sizeable Baha'i populations and the state will be influenced by our culture which is still emerging...

Later a Baha'i State will might emerge.

In all of this civil laws and procedures will continue but as there will be more Baha'is the culture of the future may well be influenced.

We cannot say for sure how this will occur but I believe the Universal House will be responding to various issues as Baha'i communities grow and become established.

In any case... only Baha'is will be bound by Baha'i laws. And the process will be a gradual one..

I think Shoghi Effendi has basically delineated the above processes.

- Art

lunamoth said:
Allah-u-Abha Scott, :)

Yes, Baha'is can vote but they can't run for office where political parties are involved, such as in the USA. For myself I register independent even without the Baha'i Faith telling me to, but this also means that Baha'is can't vote in the primaries. They also can't get involved in political causes deemed divisive (are there any that aren't?? :D ). I guess you are assuming this will change once the majority of people are Baha'is, but then, this creeps ever closer to theocracy, no?

And as for "those issues" that need to be put back on the table for consultation, the UHJ has so far said that that is impossible. Do you think that will change?

peace,
lunamoth

Dear Luna,

No membership in parties means you can't vote in primaries, but primaries are not elections. They put no one in office. The Civil Rights movement was a political cause that crossed partisan lines for one example - so did the abolition movement in the nineteenth century. If a cause advances the rights of individuals regardless of their political factions, that is not divisive by my lights.

Theocracy:
Main Entry: the·oc·ra·cy
Pronunciation: thE-'ä-kr&-sE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -cies
Etymology: Greek theokratia, from the- + -kratia -cracy
1 : government of a state by immediate divine guidance or by officials who are regarded as divinely guided
2 : a state governed by a theocracy
----------------
I think the conservative Christian coalitions are a much greater threat for a theocracy than the Baha`i Faith. Especially since the national Baha`i administrative order makes no claim to any kind of leadership in a political sense and is not constitutionally (the constitution of the National Spiritual Assembly of the United States) empowered to do so.
-----------------

At this point there is no guidance in the writings to change some of those decisions. There is no candidate for the Guardianship for instance. Nothing has been discovered within the writings to allow marriage of same-sex couples, so far. I think people get blinded by the term "same sex couple" and fail to realize that the Baha`i Faith calls for its members to practice sex within marriage, but it makes no allowance in the Aqdas to permit marriage between those of the same sex. So a Baha`i heterosexual couple living without matrimony together in a relationship that is obviously to all an intimate relationship will cause the loss of administrativerights just as fast as a gay couple living together in an obviously intimate relationship. "Marriage" is the issue over which administrative sanctions are decided.
Again, the loss of administrative rights does not mean that a person is "kicked out" of the faith. Those individuals are still Baha`i, they just cannot give to the funds, vote in Baha`i elections, be elected to Baha`i institutions, or attend Feast where the business matters of the faith are discussed. Some Baha`i's absorb the sanctions and get things resolved, others stay a Baha`i and live with the sanctions, others leave the faith over the issue - these are all volitional.
---------------------
Do I think those decisions will stand forever? Well, the next Manifestation is due in about a thousand years, that will supplant Baha`i law in any regard. So, willy-nilly things will change and I am not empowered to say HOW things will change by a long-shot.

Regards,
Scott

_Z_ said:

No offense is taken. About a hundred and sixty years ago, the Bab made His declaration in Shiraz, Persia. There was an audience of ONE to that declaration, but within six years, the rulers of Persia were in panic thinking that the new religion would swamp their authority. But it was no more a political revolution than was the ministry of Jesus.

Some estimate that there were as many as 20,000 "Bab`is" (followers of the Bab) who were killed in various pogroms in that six year period. When Baha`u'llah was exiled rather than executed in late 1852, the pundits of Shi'ih Islam thought they had put out the fire.

By the passing of Baha`u'llah there were fewer than 20,000 Bahais through the Middle East and India.
By the passing of Abdu'l Baha in 1921 there were 50,000 Baha`i's around the world including North America, Europe, Africa, Asia and the Middle East.

Today there are about 7 million Baha`i's and it is the second most widespread religion in the world after "Christianity" in general.

That's 160 years, the faith has had its schismatics, yet today more than 99% of those seven million Baha`i's acknowledge the authority of the Universal House of Justice in Haifa, Israel. That makes the Baha`i Faith the MOST unified religion in the world, bar none. This is acknowledged by www.adherents.com which tracks religious statistics around the world.

This is by all standards explosive growth in 160 years.

Yes, it has been obscure. Now it is no longer obscure.

Regards,
Scott

7 million eh! Quite impressive, but in a world of 6 billion it has some way to go before we fry! Anyway I still wouldn’t want it or any other faith to be prime – a one-world religion.

Ps. Is baha’I an Islamic sect? Forgive my ignorance.

Oh and would it except druids like me? :p

Z

_Z_ said:

7 million eh! Quite impressive, but in a world of 6 billion it has some way to go before we fry! Anyway I still wouldn’t want it or any other faith to be prime – a one-world religion.

Ps. Is baha’I an Islamic sect? Forgive my ignorance.

Oh and would it except druids like me? :p

Z

"Prime" as in "dominant"? I agree. All revealed religion is the SAME religion - the religion of God, or so Baha`u'llah says.

The Baha`i faith arose from Islam like Christianity arose from Judaism, or Druidism from the Celtic Pantheon. It is independent.

To be a faith that can be followed, a religion must have a sacred text. The problem is that Rome thoroughly eradicated all the Ogham texts for druidism, so we have no idea WHAT the elements of that religion really and truly were.
To re-create that text is functionally impossible.

The Baha`i Faith accepts all who believe that Baha`u'llah is the Manifestation of God for this Age, but its purely volitional in fact an individual accepts the Baha`i Faith and he can formally have the Baha`i faith acknowledge that decision.

Regards,
Scott

Popeyesays.

Druidry is not a religion of god, because we believe gods can be made manifest from the source, as we did [evoke] at ancient festivals [so that the people had something tangible to believe in], the pantheon was ultimately false. Much is still known about Druidry, although it was an oral tradition, we can still learn it from its source [esp. if you have an ancient guide;) :cool: ].

I am surprised you know about ogham! :) Though it is paramount to our beliefs that the magic cannot be written, thus there were never sacred texts. People always try to invalidate Druidry by saying it is lost, but it was always lost. Each druid would have had his own stories and beliefs, this is why we are simply ‘philosopher seers’ and not a religion as such. You would be surprised how much is out there, one either ‘knows’ or one doesn’t!

BTW, are the baha’I people on a recruitment drive? As whenever they post it seams so eh!

Still with much respect

Z

_Z_ said:
Popeyesays.

Druidry is not a religion of god, because we believe gods can be made manifest from the source, as we did [evoke] at ancient festivals [so that the people had something tangible to believe in], the pantheon was ultimately false. Much is still known about Druidry, although it was an oral tradition, we can still learn it from its source [esp. if you have an ancient guide;) :cool: ].

I am surprised you know about ogham! :) Though it is paramount to our beliefs that the magic cannot be written, thus there were never sacred texts. People always try to invalidate Druidry by saying it is lost, but it was always lost. Each druid would have had his own stories and beliefs, this is why we are simply ‘philosopher seers’ and not a religion as such. You would be surprised how much is out there, one either ‘knows’ or one doesn’t!

BTW, are the baha’I people on a recruitment drive? As whenever they post it seams so eh!

Still with much respect

Z

Conversion is not a Baha`i "thing". How does one "convert" from one religion of God to another?
Nature is movement, what CAUSED it to move?

Regards and respect back at'cha,
Scott

Back