"Jew" Thoughts about the word...

well thank you gentlemen for your responses .... who would know that on my 60th birthday I would learn something new like the yiddish word for "penis" .... and "condom" .... only goes to show that one is never too old to learn .... this really made my day because I never suspected this as the meaning .... lol, poh

pohaikawahine said:
well thank you gentlemen for your responses .... who would know that on my 60th birthday I would learn something new like the yiddish word for "penis" .... and "condom" .... only goes to show that one is never too old to learn .... this really made my day because I never suspected this as the meaning .... lol, poh

Just don't smack him in the mouth...I hated that when my mom smacked me in the mouth. It hurt! And busted my lip up somehting fierce...:confused:

v/r

Q

Hello all.

I am a professor of religion at a small midwest college and I've been noticing something I find interesting... Many (non-jewinsh) students are very hesitant to use the word 'Jew' in any context. Therefore, I start my section on Judaism by addressing the word- that it is not a 'bad word' but has been so demonized in US culture, that so many would rather say 'Jewish Person' or "Followers of Judaism". Same goes for the word 'Arab'. What are your thoughts?

I am particularly interested in the thoughts of other Jews, what have you noticed,if anything?

Sub

I think the term "You're a jew!" Has and can be used in a term to insult some one.... From real history, tv and cartoons... Also the stereotype of jew.... is seen as tight and will bleed someone dry from their money so the word jew has also been disconnected from being anything to do with the jewish faith and used to define such a person. So I guess some can be hesitant to use the word jew. lol, one theory however... That's all I got in my bag of tricks.

as a non-jew, I sometimes struggle when describing jews to find a word that doesn't sound as offensive as jew, and I usually use the word hebrew instead, although this word feels clumsy to use... glad to discover, then, that most jews don't mind being described as jews, or the jewish ppl, so I will go bk to using the word jew... thanks

Hello all.

I am a professor of religion at a small midwest college and I've been noticing something I find interesting... Many (non-jewinsh) students are very hesitant to use the word 'Jew' in any context. Therefore, I start my section on Judaism by addressing the word- that it is not a 'bad word' but has been so demonized in US culture, that so many would rather say 'Jewish Person' or "Followers of Judaism". Same goes for the word 'Arab'. What are your thoughts?

I am particularly interested in the thoughts of other Jews, what have you noticed,if anything?

Sub

In the Interfaith Club at the highschool i go to people are hesitant to use the word Jew and opt to just say Jewish.

Back