Law and Sanctions

Re: Baha'i Laws

PrimaVera said:
No. I'm not sure how that answers my question. Are you claiming that I'm sitting in judgement of any particular individual?

Are you saying that you might not fully support a judgement made by the UHJ? When they sit in judgement, they represent every Baha'i. Do you feel no responsibility for the actions of the Institutions of the Administrative Order?

But actually, what I was saying is that we all struggle, but a gay Baha'i's struggle is much more socially visible, easily observed and judged (unless one chooses to hide their relationships. Ironic isn't it that closeted homosexuals who feel they must hide their relationships are the ones who can remain in good standing). If a gay Baha'i could grow up knowing the law, but not in fear of losing her community and perhaps family, there would be a lot more room for the Holy Spirit to work.

So, it has been in being empathetic to the plight of the gay Baha'i that I first started to question the validity of imposing sanctions. (Not compassionate) Further reasoning drew me to conclude that no sanction that separates a Baha'i from Feast/Funds/Voting is going to help heal whatever the problem is (not rational). And the inherant problems of lack of transparency in BAO proceedings, lack of accountability, lack of checks and balances and legal representation when in fact you are dealing with laws, lead me conclude that it is not just.

When did we start playing by fundamentalist rules? You suggested quoting the Aqdas, and quoting only some of it at that.
Time for me to start apologizing, I guess. Did I mention I've been under a lot of stress lately?

peace,
lunamoth

Popeyesays said:
lunamoth said:
One is not under the Mosaic Law, though one should follow the Mosaic Law.

But Baha`i's are under the Law of the Aqdas, not the Torah.

Regards,
Scott

And Christians are under the Law of Love.

The law defines sin and sin is death. Christ forgives sin and is the reconciliation of the world. The victory is won--all the rest is mopping up.

peace,
lunamoth

Luna (Can I call you Laurie?)

Before I get back into the discussion, I want you to know I have no hard feelings. My absence from the thread through most of the day had nothing to do with the tone of the posts. My colleagues and I at work had an afternoon of what we affectionately refer to as "mandatory fun," a recreational/social gathering away from the atmosphere of work.

Before this afternoon, I was pretty sure I sucked at curling. Now, I have absolutely no doubt.

Also, in the interests of promoting further undrestanding, I wan't to be clear about my purpose in asking the questions I ask. I'm not a Baha'i because I think everything fits inside a neat, logical package. I'm a Baha'i because of Baha'u'llah's character and the fact that His Writings touch me to the depth of my soul. I don't expect everyone to adopt my point of view (not even other Baha'is as regards to a number of details), and I have a genuine interest in understanding other points of view.

One of the first messages I posted on CR spoke of the differences between plane and spherical geometry. We don't debate the relative merits of plane or spherical geometry. We just use the one that's appropriate under the circumstances. I rather hope we can do the same thing in comparative religions.

Now:

lunamoth said:
You've established that essentially there is no difference between these Christian teachings and the Baha'i teachings.

My reading of Paul is that we are no longer under the penalty of law, any law. No longer under penalty, but under the Spirit which is Love, love God and love each other. It does not make sense to me Christ freed us from bondage to law and then would return to bring a whole new bunch of very detailed (down to the minutia in some cases) laws.

I have a different take on this, but it's rather personal. I think Paul saw salvation as a process, not an event. It is through Faith in Christ that we engage in the process, and the purpose of the law is to provide us with benchmarks to measure our progress as we engage in the process, or rather, as a means of telling us whether or not we are engaged in the process of salvation. Salvation, in this context, isn't something we achieve and it's not something that's given to us. Salvation is something we do.

This concept also conforms to Baha'i concepts as well. John Hatcher has written several books on the subject of the purpose of physical reality (the latest is available at our local Barnes and Noble bookstore). He starts by asking the basic question: if we are spiritual beings, why do we begin our lives trapped in this physical existence?

His answer to that question is two-fold: our purpose is to grow and develop spiritually (which, to me, is about the acquisition and development of virtues), and that we cannot grow and develop spiritually in a social vacuum. We need each other in order to grow and develop.

I have to run (my wife just called, and she's having back spasms, so I need to go feed the kids), but I'll see if I can't relate these ideas to the issue of sanctions in a future post.

Popeyesays said:
Dear Luna,

When and if the time comes that the laws of the Aqdas become the law of society THEN, the Universal House of Justice would be called upon to set law into legal terms.

By the way every single place where the Aqdas mentions death as a punishment it allows for imprisonment to be given instead. (Yes, I know. I was being inflammatory there, wasn't I--luna)
The implication here is the Universal House of Justice will turn the verses of the Aqdas into statute.

But in now wise is jurisprudence in any society regulated by Baha`i Law, and Baha`i communties must observe the law of the land in criminal matters.

Frankly, it seems to me that Baha'is present it both or either way, depending upon the point they wish to make: 1) the Faith is just a religion with no aims of being a government aside from those who freely join vs. 2) the BAO is the model for how the best way to govern the whole world, eventually everyone will realize this and submit to its authority or some version of its system.

If it is the Kingdom of God, it is for the governance of the whole world. Not just a religion. As others have pointed out, you don't separate state governance from religion from whatever other part of life in the Kingdom of God. It is the whole enchilada.

I don't know what that future AO would look like, but I can look at how the Faith operates in this day and make judgements about it. I see not only the potential for oppression, but the seeds of it in sanctions on gay Baha'is

As to being a perfect Baha`i - only Abdu'l Baha was a Perfect Exemplar.

The rest of us just do the best we can.
I know, Scott. I have no doubts that the motives of you, all the Baha'is here, and all of the Institution of the Faith are anything but purepure motives and doing the best that you can. (note--it's getting late for me, i'm trying to say i think you rmotives are pure)

But is the UHJ infallible? They are just men, just men, and just men, if you get my meanings.

When I was in the faith for a few months my first wife and I seperated and divorced. I look back on that time as painful, but I bless the guidance of the institution I received during the time, it did not make me "perfect", but it did allow me to successfully complete a year of paztience, a civil divorce and conduct myself in a way that respected myself, my ex-spouse and the community. I could not have asked for more.

Regards,
Scott

I loved being a Baha'i.

peace,
lunamoth

PrimaVera said:
I have a different take on this, but it's rather personal. I think Paul saw salvation as a process, not an event. It is through Faith in Christ that we engage in the process, and the purpose of the law is to provide us with benchmarks to measure our progress as we engage in the process, or rather, as a means of telling us whether or not we are engaged in the process of salvation. Salvation, in this context, isn't something we achieve and it's not something that's given to us. Salvation is something we do.

This concept also conforms to Baha'i concepts as well. John Hatcher has written several books on the subject of the purpose of physical reality (the latest is available at our local Barnes and Noble bookstore). He starts by asking the basic question: if we are spiritual beings, why do we begin our lives trapped in this physical existence?

His answer to that question is two-fold: our purpose is to grow and develop spiritually (which, to me, is about the acquisition and development of virtues), and that we cannot grow and develop spiritually in a social vacuum. We need each other in order to grow and develop.

Great take on it, Rick, and I can really get into that too. I look at salvation in much the same way. :)

Now, why do we need the Baha'i Faith again? ;)

lunamoth

lunamoth said:
Frankly, it seems to me that Baha'is present it both or either way, depending upon the point they wish to make: 1) the Faith is just a religion with no aims of being a government aside from those who freely join vs. 2) the BAO is the model for how the best way to govern the whole world, eventually everyone will realize this and submit to its authority or some version of its system.

It is not so much "either way". It is that we are early in the process, and as yet the process does not allow Baha`i Law to be societal law. And now is not the time for the House to codify the law into statutes, because the statutes of today may not be appropriate for 100 years from now.

lunamoth said:
If it is the Kingdom of God, it is for the governance of the whole world. Not just a religion. As others have pointed out, you don't separate state governance from religion from whatever other part of life in the Kingdom of God. It is the whole enchilada.

Indeed. BUt the enchiladal has just been rolled, and several more will have to go into the pan before the lot can be baked. So it is really the constituent pieces of the enchilada still in different bowls and the cook has not set the table as yet.

lunamoth said:
I don't know what that future AO would look like, but I can look at how the Faith operates in this day and make judgements about it. I see not only the potential for oppression, but the seeds of it in sanctions on gay Baha'is

I know, Scott. I have no doubts that the motives of you, all the Baha'is here, and all of the Institution of the Faith are anything but purepure motives and doing the best that you can. (note--it's getting late for me, i'm trying to say i think you rmotives are pure)

But is the UHJ infallible? They are just men, just men, and just men, if you get my meanings.

I loved being a Baha'i.

peace,
lunamoth

Well, the men, each and individual are not. The men convened together as the Universal House of Justice are. If we cannot believe Baha`u'llah for that, we can't believe Him for anything.

We'll talk tomorrow. I hope tomorrow is less hectic for you and peace reigns for at least a little bit.

Regards,
Scott

PrimaVera said:
Before this afternoon, I was pretty sure I sucked at curling. Now, I have absolutely no doubt.

I suck at curling too!

One of the first messages I posted on CR spoke of the differences between plane and spherical geometry. We don't debate the relative merits of plane or spherical geometry.

yeah, I didn't understand a word of it. :)

Laurie

While the thread has gone on to cover other ideas, I don't think this part has been dwelt on enough.

sara[h]ng said:
Thank you for your answers, they made a lot of sense, but I have a further question.

I've always heard that the fact, that women cannot serve in that highest Baha'i 'office' (I apologize that I can't think of the words,) is a bit of a test regarding the individual's will (in this case, maybe a feminist's) vs. God's. If you look throughout history, isn't it the case that while there is generally a bit more equality to women in the major religions, it is still a male dominated world. I could be wrong, I can't really think of any examples other than specifics in Islam. But my point is, if you look at this particular thing, which doesn't really make sense to us, and accept it because it is God's will and because the past religions have shown similar ideas - and we know that there should be equality, both from common sense and from other Baha'i thoughts on the topic - couldn't this be an example that goes against the idea of looking for backing for arguable laws in the other religions?

- Sarah

It could. The matter of the position of women and men is something perhaps we are too close to both in ourselves and in our emediate past as well as of the longer history. A history replete with error, mixed with truth, layered and pushed around so one became the other. In more recent times equality seemed to mean that women could act as pushy and mean as men were perhaps by training and inclination. In the more distant past I recall comments from Paul about how women should behave in Church, which I think some take too far and incompatible with Paul himself later commending a woman to be "in charge". In the case of the Baha'i Faith, in some respects, I think it is a continuation of the changes brought forward from earlier religions:

"The world in the past has been ruled by force, and man has dominated over woman by reason of his more forceful and aggressive qualities both of body and mind. But the balance is already shifting; force is losing its dominance, and mental alertness, intuition, and the spiritual qualities of love and service, in which woman is strong, are gaining ascendancy. Hence the new age will be an age less masculine and more permeated with the feminine ideals, or, to speak more exactly, will be an age in which the masculine and feminine elements of civilization will be more evenly balanced."

Notice these are not finished changes... "already shifting", "losing", "gaining", "will be".... Our achievement of these goals is not done, nor where things were at - consider the proportion of women participating on National Assemblies.

The main website seems to be having problems for the moment but there exists an independent archiving system on the internet - Approximate Percent of Women serving on National Spiritual Assemblies (it's not a picture so you'll have to go look at the table, I tried to frame the data here but couldn't make it very clean.)

On first glance it's easy to see that through secret ballot, with no systmatic scheme to simply put women in positions of authority, women are being elected in numbers far beyond that of any of the governments of any of the regions. And even these few years there is more upticking than downticking.

Popeyesays said:
Indeed. BUt the enchiladal has just been rolled, and several more will have to go into the pan before the lot can be baked. So it is really the constituent pieces of the enchilada still in different bowls and the cook has not set the table as yet.

And what, exactly, are the processes in place for making any changes to the way the Administrative Order operates?

It never played in my decision making process, but I later learned online about the Dialogue crackdown.

Well, the men, each and individual are not. The men convened together as the Universal House of Justice are.
Yes, it is an article of faith. I respect that.

If we cannot believe Baha`u'llah for that, we can't believe Him for anything.
Yup.

We'll talk tomorrow. I hope tomorrow is less hectic for you and peace reigns for at least a little bit.

Regards,
Scott

Good night.

Laurie

lunamoth said:
Dear Scott,

Yes, those passages from Paul are amazing, and even though I don't usually read the KJV, they are even more majestic and beautiful in that translation.

You've established that essentially there is no difference between these Christian teachings and the Baha'i teachings.

My reading of Paul is that we are no longer under the penalty of law, any law. No longer under penalty, but under the Spirit which is Love, love God and love each other. It does not make sense to me Christ freed us from bondage to law and then would return to bring a whole new bunch of very detailed (down to the minutia in some cases) laws.

Do I think those laws no longer serve a purpose? Of course they do! They are guidelines for conduct that will bring us true joy. Laws mean we are still babies. I think it is interesting that Baha'ullah only revealed the Aqdas at the end of His life, and (Kitab-i-Hearsay) that it was only becasue the friends insisted. Reminds me of the Israelites asking for a King. Do I believe in keeping people safe from others who would prey upon the innocent and do harm? Of course! But, once you get the idea of Love, really get it, have the Spirit within, the law is irrelevant.

The fruits of the Spirit flow out--you don't cram them in by law. Observance of the law then is your Christ nature, which is your true nature.

peace,
lunamoth

Here's from the Arabic Hidden Words:
"3. O SON OF MAN!
Veiled in My immemorial being and in the ancient eternity of My essence, I knew My love for thee; therefore I created thee, have engraved on thee Mine image and revealed to thee My beauty.
4. O SON OF MAN!
I loved thy creation, hence I created thee. Wherefore, do thou love Me, that I may name thy name and fill thy soul with the spirit of life.
5. O SON OF BEING!
Love Me, that I may love thee. If thou lovest Me not, My love can in no wise reach thee. Know this, O servant.
6. O SON OF BEING!
Thy Paradise is My love; thy heavenly home, reunion with Me. Enter therein and tarry not. This is that which hath been destined for thee in Our kingdom above and Our exalted dominion."
7. O SON OF MAN!
If thou lovest Me, turn away from thyself; and if thou seekest My pleasure, regard not thine own; that thou mayest die in Me and I may eternally live in thee.
8. O SON OF SPIRIT!
There is no peace for thee save by renouncing thyself and turning unto Me; for it behooveth thee to glory in My name, not in thine own; to put thy trust in Me and not in thyself, since I desire to be loved alone and above all that is.
9. O SON OF BEING!
My love is My stronghold; he that entereth therein is safe and secure, and he that turneth away shall surely stray and perish.
10. O SON OF UTTERANCE! Thou art My stronghold; enter therein that thou mayest abide in safety. My love is in thee, know it, that thou mayest find Me near unto thee.
11. O SON OF BEING!
Thou art My lamp and My light is in thee. Get thou from it thy radiance and seek none other than Me. For I have created thee rich and have bountifully shed My favor upon thee.
(Baha'u'llah, The Arabic Hidden Words)

Number two of course is the one about justice.

Just for fun, I ran the word "love" and "justice" through the word search in "Ocean":
("love" 8894 sentences in 523 documents)
(Justice 11,800 in 523 documents)
Subtracting all the signatures (Universal house of Justice 350)
References to the Houses of Justice ( 1800)
puts the totals pretty even. Just a quirk of trivia rooted out while waiting for my wife to finish at the hospital.

Regards,
Scott

lunamoth said:
And what, exactly, are the processes in place for making any changes to the way the Administrative Order operates?

Organically. An ever fuller transformation of character and norms. Not too long ago there was a development in decentralizing some of the processes of institutions by making regional Baha'i councils around the world, and at a local level with clusters.

:)

OK. The kids are fed, and Beth is blissfully ensconced in a chemically altered world (muscle relaxants). Back to Hatcher, process, law and sanctions.

We cannot grow spiritually in a social vacuum. Salvation, then, is something we do in a social context. In the context of our individual salvation, sanctions are meaningless. It's the social context where sanctions become relevant. If we only look at the role the law plays with respect to individual salvation, we completely miss the role that the law plays in creating a social milieu that conduces to salvation in any given day and age.

In particular, it's the social dimension that answers the question, why these particular laws? After all, if the only role that the law plays is to provide a means by which we can know that we're engaged in the process of salvation, then any set of laws will do.

In the thread on Healing Physician in the comparative studies forum, I pointed to the idea that "sex sells." The social effects of advertising that uses sexually suggestive images are rather well documented. Now, firms don't pay for that advertising because it doesn't work. John Kenneth Galbraith pointed that out. If advertising didn't add to the firm's bottom line, then they wouldn't spend money on it. Why does sexually suggestive advertising work? Because we don't uphold a sufficiently high standard of chastity.

For the same reason that sanctions in civil law protect society, sanctions in religious law protect the social dimension of the law itself. It's worth noting, in this context, the various quotes that have already been posted about the process that spiritual assemblies are supposed to use when applying Baha'i law. I won't requote them here, but I will point out that the point where sanctions are applied is only after every attempt has been made to assist the individual to become compliant with the law. In other words, the point where sanctions are applied is the point where the individual has willfully disengaged from the process of salvation.

That is, at least, my own understanding of why sanctions exist on the context of religious law. As for why specific sanctions for specific violations of law, I see a gray area there. I don't think we fully grasp the social dimension of the law, or, at least, I don't find myself capable of fully grasping that dimension.

There is yet another reason for having sanctions. One thing that Manifestations of God do in their respective Revelations is to challenge conventional wisdom; to get us to question the validity of the assumptions we've acquired over the years and to force us to rethink what we understand about the principles They promulgate. But, I think this subject ought to be the point of a different thread. In fact, it's the basic point that Bahiyyih Nakhjavani makes in her book, Asking Questions: A Challenge to Fundamentalism.

Further readings on John Hatcher's ideas can be found in The Law of Love Enshrined, and Close Connections: The Bridge Between Spiritual and Physical Reality.

Dear Laurie,

lunamoth said:
Are you saying that you might not fully support a judgement made by the UHJ? When they sit in judgement, they represent every Baha'i. Do you feel no responsibility for the actions of the Institutions of the Administrative Order?

Quick answers are, no, I don't agree and no. No institution answers to me. They answer to God.

If a gay Baha'i could grow up knowing the law, but not in fear of losing her community and perhaps family, there would be a lot more room for the Holy Spirit to work.

Couldn't one say the same thing about any aspect of our physical nature that impedes our spiritual growth and development?

My apologies for breaking up you one paragraph below, but I think each of the sentences represents a separate thought worthy of its own discussion. I'm not trying to play tit-for-tat.

So, it has been in being empathetic to the plight of the gay Baha'i that I first started to question the validity of imposing sanctions. (Not compassionate)

Do you think it's not compassionate, because you think being gay is not a choice?

Further reasoning drew me to conclude that no sanction that separates a Baha'i from Feast/Funds/Voting is going to help heal whatever the problem is (not rational).

I think we're already discussing this in the other thread in this discussion, no?

And the inherant problems of lack of transparency in BAO proceedings, lack of accountability, lack of checks and balances and legal representation when in fact you are dealing with laws, lead me conclude that it is not just.

This gets dicey. The specific issues you mention stem from a particular theory of justice that's ensconsed in some western democracies. I emphasize the word "some," because some of these concepts don't exist in all of them.

The lack of transparency in proceedings is a two-edged sword. There's a reason that juvenile proceedings are closed-door proceedings even in the United States.

I don't think the Baha'i Administrative Order lacks accountability or checks and balances. The accountability and checks and balances differ from what we see in the United States, but I think the Baha'i system operates under a different theory of justice--one primary difference being the process by which facts are ascertained. You can take a look at Germany's legal system for an alternative to our adversarial system.

When we start getting down to particulars, justice is a very complex issue, and, when an issue is as complex as this one is, I tend to not reach any hard and fast conclusions. "I don't know," is a phrase I'm often led to utter.

I mentioned early on in this thread that I think we're really talking about the fundamental religious problem: how do we know what God's will is? Not an easy question to answer.

Time for me to start apologizing, I guess. Did I mention I've been under a lot of stress lately?

Apology accepted, and, yes, you did mention the stress. I believe I've already said that you're on my prayer list.

Dear Laurie,

Regarding my discussion of geometry:
lunamoth said:
yeah, I didn't understand a word of it. :)

Dang, and I thought I'd been so careful to explain it.

I suppose any globes you have are packed up at the moment, but, when you get your hands on one, grab yourself some string, and start "drawing lines" on the glob by stretching the string between two points on the globe. Make triangles. Look at the way the strings intersect with lines of longitute (the lines that go through the two poles). You'll be amazed at how different triangles look and behave on the surface of a sphere from they way you learned about them in grade school.

The story of Geometry is really very fascinating. You can find a good synopsis, along with several useful links, here.

Popeyesays said:
Here's from the Arabic Hidden Words:
"3. O SON OF MAN!
Veiled in My immemorial being and in the ancient eternity of My essence, I knew My love for thee; therefore I created thee, have engraved on thee Mine image and revealed to thee My beauty.
4. O SON OF MAN!
I loved thy creation, hence I created thee. Wherefore, do thou love Me, that I may name thy name and fill thy soul with the spirit of life.
5. O SON OF BEING!
Love Me, that I may love thee. If thou lovest Me not, My love can in no wise reach thee. Know this, O servant.
6. O SON OF BEING!
Thy Paradise is My love; thy heavenly home, reunion with Me. Enter therein and tarry not. This is that which hath been destined for thee in Our kingdom above and Our exalted dominion."
7. O SON OF MAN!
If thou lovest Me, turn away from thyself; and if thou seekest My pleasure, regard not thine own; that thou mayest die in Me and I may eternally live in thee.
8. O SON OF SPIRIT!
There is no peace for thee save by renouncing thyself and turning unto Me; for it behooveth thee to glory in My name, not in thine own; to put thy trust in Me and not in thyself, since I desire to be loved alone and above all that is.
9. O SON OF BEING!
My love is My stronghold; he that entereth therein is safe and secure, and he that turneth away shall surely stray and perish.
10. O SON OF UTTERANCE! Thou art My stronghold; enter therein that thou mayest abide in safety. My love is in thee, know it, that thou mayest find Me near unto thee.
11. O SON OF BEING!
Thou art My lamp and My light is in thee. Get thou from it thy radiance and seek none other than Me. For I have created thee rich and have bountifully shed My favor upon thee.
(Baha'u'llah, The Arabic Hidden Words)

Number two of course is the one about justice.

Just for fun, I ran the word "love" and "justice" through the word search in "Ocean":
("love" 8894 sentences in 523 documents)
(Justice 11,800 in 523 documents)
Subtracting all the signatures (Universal house of Justice 350)
References to the Houses of Justice ( 1800)
puts the totals pretty even. Just a quirk of trivia rooted out while waiting for my wife to finish at the hospital.

Regards,
Scott

Yes Scott. Those are all beautiful Hidden Words. Thank you. :)

Laurie

smkolins said:
Organically. An ever fuller transformation of character and norms. Not too long ago there was a development in decentralizing some of the processes of institutions by making regional Baha'i councils around the world, and at a local level with clusters.

:)

In other words, you have faith that the system will work. I respect that. But it is not to be confused with be rational.

peace,
lunamoth

smkolins said:
It is of some passing interest to me that my first post in CR was when it was less than a year old, and was in a thread about "Holy Spirit: feminine form?". An interesting skimming of history.

I remember that thread, and I know you've been here a long time too, brother. :)

Where is barefootgal? I miss her.

Laurie

PrimaVera said:
We cannot grow spiritually in a social vacuum. Salvation, then, is something we do in a social context. In the context of our individual salvation, sanctions are meaningless. It's the social context where sanctions become relevant. If we only look at the role the law plays with respect to individual salvation, we completely miss the role that the law plays in creating a social milieu that conduces to salvation in any given day and age.

I can agree with laws that protect the social milieux. I can't agree with laws that I find unjust. I've explained a few times now in various places why I think this law is unjust and goes against our command to Love.

In particular, it's the social dimension that answers the question, why these particular laws? After all, if the only role that the law plays is to provide a means by which we can know that we're engaged in the process of salvation, then any set of laws will do.

In the thread on Healing Physician in the comparative studies forum, I pointed to the idea that "sex sells." The social effects of advertising that uses sexually suggestive images are rather well documented. Now, firms don't pay for that advertising because it doesn't work. John Kenneth Galbraith pointed that out. If advertising didn't add to the firm's bottom line, then they wouldn't spend money on it. Why does sexually suggestive advertising work? Because we don't uphold a sufficiently high standard of chastity.

Sorry, I'm not getting your point here. Seems you are talking about the relative nature of laws. You believe that Baha'u'llah has given a set of permanent laws that are inflexible for the next 850 plus years. I say that denies the work of the Holy Spirit. Do I think my own personal opinion on matters reflects God's will and the work of the Spirit? No! It comes through loving consultation within a communinty. Sound familiar?

For the same reason that sanctions in civil law protect society, sanctions in religious law protect the social dimension of the law itself. It's worth noting, in this context, the various quotes that have already been posted about the process that spiritual assemblies are supposed to use when applying Baha'i law. I won't requote them here, but I will point out that the point where sanctions are applied is only after every attempt has been made to assist the individual to become compliant with the law. In other words, the point where sanctions are applied is the point where the individual has willfully disengaged from the process of salvation.

And I ask again, what is achieved by imposing those sanctions at this end of the rope point?

There is yet another reason for having sanctions. One thing that Manifestations of God do in their respective Revelations is to challenge conventional wisdom; to get us to question the validity of the assumptions we've acquired over the years and to force us to rethink what we understand about the principles They promulgate.
I think it is even more radical than just challenging conventional wisdom. Yes, we do need to question the vailidity of the assumptions.

But, I think this subject ought to be the point of a different thread.
Please no! Not another thread! I can't keep up as it is.

I'll return to your other post later.

peace,
lunamoth

Back