Christianity + Tarot cards.

I find this discussion very interesting: I consider myself a catholic but I like angel cards, in fact, sometimes I ask the cards for advice, never for predicting the future, which I understand it's the sin itself. Any Christian out there that uses angel cards? Still, sometimes I have the sensation I'm doing something wrong, but I am not sure at all...

Prophecies were made during Biblical times. Is there any reason to think prophecies can't still be made in modern times?

The earliest appearance of Tarot cards was an an educational tool, as is evidenced by the symbology deployed. Then can also be used as a means of assessment, and the origins of 'tarot reading' goes back to this master-student relationship.

Today however, almost exclusively from the 18th century on, tarot cards have been presented and used as a means of divination or foretelling the future, either individual or general. Decks are sold exclusively for this purpose, and a small industry of 'explaining' the cards has grown up around it. In that sense reading the tarot is no different to reading palms, crystal balls, tea-leaves, runes, entrails, clouds, etc. — all are means of occupying the mind to allow the wider senses to roam free.

These 'wider senses' need not be considered psychic or esoteric or magic ... in the same way that Harry Houdini went round debunking and revealing the hidden table-rapping tricks of false spiritists, psychologists and especially practitioners of NLP like Darren Brown have clearly shown how a 'medium' can manipulate an audience, even perhaps unconsciously and convinced of their own abilities, and further that the audience, especially in a one-on-one situation like a reading, conveys and transmits all manner of subtle signals that the attuned reader (again unconsciously) will read and respond to.

(The story of mediums bringing messages from the dead always seem to be claming and concilliatory. I have yet to hear of someone coming back to criticise a living relative!)

The Catechism of the Catholic Church offers an overview in discussing practicies of divination which some sentimental souls might find offensive, but it's nonetheless true: "Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings..."

To seek guidance from any other source than Christ is thereby a denial of Christ ... it's a fine line ...

Having said that, have you come across "Meditations on the Tarot: A Journey into Christian Hermeticism"?

The 'anonymous author' was a student of, and set to be the successor to, Rudolf Steiner's School of Anthroposophy, but underwent an epiphanic experience whilst contemplating the stained glass windows at Chatres Cathedral, and converted to Roman Catholicism. His "Meditations" is his magnum opus, and utilises the major arcana as a means of discussing Christian Hermeticism and an authentic 'Christian esoterism' (as opposed to the ersatz 'esoteric Christianity').

The "Meditations" declares: "The book is written from an orthodox Christian (Roman Catholic) perspective. One of its beauties is the way it draws out the value in many spiritual and cultural phenomena of which Christians have often been wary, without in any way compromising the centrality of the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. The author uses the Tarot images to help the reader deepen his or her relationship with God through prayer and meditation."

The book has been seen in the possession of many popes, JP-II, Benedict XVI and Francis. A foreword was written by Hans Urs von Balthasar (one of the foremost theolgians of the last century):
"A thinking, praying Christian of unmistakable purity reveals to us the symbols of Christian Hermeticism in its various levels of mysticism, gnosis and magic, taking in also the Cabbala and certain elements of astrology and alchemy. These symbols are summarised in the twenty-two so-called "Major Arcana" of the Tarot cards. By way of the Major Arcana the author seeks to lead meditatively into the deeper, all-embracing wisdom of the Catholic Mystery... "

"The first discussions for or against the secret teachings of the Cabbala go back to the converted or non-converted Spanish Jews of the twelfth century. Among those who later endeavored to understand these teachings were Reuchlin in Germany, Ficino and especially Pico della Mirandola in Italy, whilst the extraordinary Cardinal Giles of Viterbo (1469-1552) wanted to explain the Holy Scripture with the help of the Cabbala "with a method that is not foreign, but which is intrinsic (to it)". Enjoined by Pope Clement VII, this zealous, reform-hungry Cardinal wrote his ebullient dissertation on the "Shekinah", dedicated to Emperor Charles V. Alongside these few names resounding from the past, a multitude of lesser predecessors and imitators could be mentioned."

"Here the important point is that although this penetration into the secret teachings of pagan and Jewish origin was pursued in the spirit of humanism, in the hope of bringing new life into rigidified Christian theology through collecting such scattered revelation and illumination, no one for a moment doubted that despite the disparities everything could be accommodated into the true Christian faith. That Pico, in particular, did not aim at syncretism, he himself made quite clear: 'I bear on my brow the name Jesus Christ and would die gladly for the faith in him. I am neither a magician nor a Jew, nor an Ishmaelite nor a heretic. It is Jesus whom I worship and his cross I bear upon my body.' The author of these Meditations' could also have affirmed this oath of allegiance."

The point here is that the Meditations use the Tarot as an aid to deepening one's faith, not as a means of determining tomorrow ...

My own view echoes a quote above. Contemporary Christian authorities tend to a knee-jerk reaction when they hear such terms as 'Hermeticism', 'Gnosis', 'Cabbala', etc., the term too often fixed within the context of an historical conflict, rather than properly understanding the term in its universal aspect.

The 'Gnostics' of the early Christian centuries, for example, were poor theologians and equally poor philosophers – the Greek schools were particularly scathing – and their metaphysics was, it has to be said, most often risible.)

I regard the tarot, used properly, as one of those 'beauties ... of which Christians have often been wary'. But, it has to be acknowledged, in certain times and places, that suspicion was not without good reason.

I came out of Mormonism because my unbelief in Joseph Smith but I then started using tarot cards, numerology, palmistry. I found I got the information right - most of the time especially doing other people whom I never knew anything about. I blessed my cards with Jesus. My tarot cards led me to a charismatic church with confirmation from my children. The church members were opposed to anything like that. I did not care I just never told them because they already were calling me a satanist for being a former Mormon. I went there because I knew God was leading me there. I used to draw pictures on a sheet and the pastor would say it. I did a lot of healing and was reborn through Jesus Christ. Deuteronomy 30:6, "The LORD your God will circumcise your hearts and the hearts of your descendants so that you may love him with all your heart and with all your soul and live." The Lord heals our hearts so we can respond by loving him and other people. Now I am learning more about the Holy Spirit and really learning to form a friendship with him. I am renewing my mind and beliefs to the word of God and about trauma bonding. I found God talk to me through the tarot cards but also through everything and any one. Now I am at a Baptist Church so I am learning the word of God and filling myself with scripture. Now I am trying to hear God without the tarot but I get pictures of tarot cards in my head, dreams, visions, songs, phrases, and yes I do use the bible to answer my questions to God. I also love to read the bible because all passages I see how much Jesus loves me even the old testament! Isaiah 45:11,"Thus saith the LORD, the Holy One of Israel, and his Maker, Ask me things to come concerning my sons, and concerning the work of my hands command ye me." That is a scripture saying that we are commanded to know things to come and like 25% of the bible is prophecy. I really believe everyone's journey through life looks differently and if they totally trust God - He will lead them to the saving knowledge of Christ if we trust the living Spirit. John 7:17, "if any man will do his(the Fathers) will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself."

I see tarot....this type of divination... causing contemplation...internal discussions...to get to information which benefits thoughts and decisions...

As to actual anything paranormal.... I know way to many entertainers that use it to make money... as a show... and I see folks lined up and oooing and ahihhing and being amazed at the information they received... a little cold reading goes a long way.

Bible based tarot and more... funny
To me that's classic east v west.

The east comes up with Meditations on the Tarot.

The west comes up with novelty tarot decks ...

Back