M Magdalena...

I think it depends on whether one reads these works literally or symbolically .... there are many roads to the mountaintop and we all walk different spiritual paths .... but basically we are looking for the same things .... Mary Magdalene was and is a powerful symbol .... personally I don't think it matters whether she was married or not or if she even existed ....

Many people express the same opinion, but this opens the way for the atheist to say that all of it is meaningless, and that whether one believe in the person, the symbol, the myth; whether one believes in Christ, or Buddha, or Mohammed, or Krisna, it's all a fantasy ... the 'many roads', the 'mountaintop' and the 'spiritual path' are all illusions that should be done away with.

Richard Dawkins, for example, would have you for breakfast!

Thomas

Thomas said:
I think it depends on whether one reads these works literally or symbolically .... there are many roads to the mountaintop and we all walk different spiritual paths .... but basically we are looking for the same things .... Mary Magdalene was and is a powerful symbol .... personally I don't think it matters whether she was married or not or if she even existed ....

Many people express the same opinion, but this opens the way for the atheist to say that all of it is meaningless, and that whether one believe in the person, the symbol, the myth; whether one believes in Christ, or Buddha, or Mohammed, or Krisna, it's all a fantasy ... the 'many roads', the 'mountaintop' and the 'spiritual path' are all illusions that should be done away with.

Thomas

I don't believe that any of it is fantasy .... it is all very real and all very meaningful .... and I believe all are connected through the symbols .... I hope he will have me for breakfast as a guest :) .... but I really do think that 'many roads', the 'mountaintop' and the 'spiritual path' are what it is all about and not illusions.... that is why we are all here as this site called comparative religions, if we believed that our way is the only way we needn't check out the way of others .... in my culture we add that there are many paths to the mountaintop,but when we get there we see the same moon .... so these words are very cultural as well as spiritual for me .... aloha nui, pohaikawahine

lunamoth said:
Oh my gosh Bandit I nearly spit coffee all over my keyboard! :D

(I guess I should post a picture of myself to try to redeem your image of me--or not... :) ).

cheers,
Sister luna

very cool.
i dont know if i will make it another year talking about beliefs if i dont have a little fun doing it. since i will be doing your biography (with a twist), i will be a faithful student of the endearing Sister Luna -teacher, preacher, evangelist, minister, bishop & what not.:)

Cheers,
Brother Bandit

Ghaniel said:
Calm down you.

So long as no one spreads false things people can say what they want. I wasn't asking for your 'not your right'-wisdom. It is my "right" to say what I want, just like people can theorise about MM.

OK, I'm calm...guess it touched a "Catholic" nerve. Or else I can be a arse (is that the right way of spelling it?), at times.

Sorry.

v/r

Q

Originally Posted by Thomas

Thomas
Hi Thomas. As Christians we believe everything in the NT is a type of fulfillment of the OT. M M is very prominent in the NT but I feel she had to be symbolizing something from the OT.

I have a few views, but it concerns Israel and Judah in the OT, since these are the ones Jesus came to first, so I would have to find something symbolic in the OT to relate to her.

One example being what Jesus wrote in the "dirt" while the jews were questioning Jesus about a prostitute. Some believe it was the same thing being written in Daniel 5:5 on the wall concerning "judgement". Just curious on your view. Thanks.

Hi pohaikawahinee

I hope he will have me for breakfast as a guest
Believe me, you really do not want to meet him. He's had a TV programme here in the UK in which he posits that God and religion are all a fantasy and the source of all the evil in the world. He is highly intelligent and extremely aggressive.

.... but I really do think that 'many roads', the 'mountaintop' and the 'spiritual path' are what it is all about
agreed - if we are talking about the 'traditional ways' - ie those which are handed down.

... in my culture we add that there are many paths to the mountaintop, but when we get there we see the same moon

The rise of pluralism, often masking itself as benificent ecumenism, and egalitarianism, with its reduction of everything to a relativism, combined with man's overwheening sense of his own importance (a reaction to a culture that strips it away at every turn), is a trait of western civilisation.

The view that every traditional path leads to the top is then read as any and every path leads to the top, which is in reality not the case.

The next step, because man can see multiple paths, but rejects tradition, is the assumption that he is himself the path, with its meaningless mantra of modernity "I am spiritual, but not religious", so he is bound for the top, simply by virtue of the fact that he exists, and therefore it is his natural right, and can determine the nature of the spiritual as he so chooses (which anyone will see is according to his own apetites and limitations).

In metaphysical terms - the appearance of many paths is a sign of cosmological decline, of the fevor of a cosmic fin de siecle, the end of the age (this is spoken of in Scripture and in the Vedas), an attempt to 'use up' all the unrealised potential of the cosmic age in question.

What is missed is that adherence to the true path enfolds all that is good, whilst on the other hand the proliferation of multiple paths signifies a plethora of lesser goods under the guise of 'a personal way' which in the cold light of the real is simply 'my idea of good'.

In reality
Many paths lead to mountain,
fewer paths lead up the mountain,
a very few reach the peak.

Thomas

Thomas said:
Hi pohaikawahinee

The next step, because man can see multiple paths, but rejects tradition, is the assumption that he is himself the path, with its meaningless mantra of modernity "I am spiritual, but not religious", so he is bound for the top, simply by virtue of the fact that he exists, and therefore it is his natural right, and can determine the nature of the spiritual as he so chooses (which anyone will see is according to his own apetites and limitations).

In metaphysical terms - the appearance of many paths is a sign of cosmological decline, of the fevor of a cosmic fin de siecle, the end of the age (this is spoken of in Scripture and in the Vedas), an attempt to 'use up' all the unrealised potential of the cosmic age in question.

What is missed is that adherence to the true path enfolds all that is good, whilst on the other hand the proliferation of multiple paths signifies a plethora of lesser goods under the guise of 'a personal way' which in the cold light of the real is simply 'my idea of good'.

hi thomas .... I can see that we will not agree on this one, but that is alright .... thanks for the reference on 'fin de siecle' (the end of the age), it may even explain the reason more people are interested in comparative faith and questioning whether there is only one true path .... again we will see it differently, you see it as cosmological decline and I see it as cosmological ascending (the end of the current age I am speaking of) .... and I do believe that each one of us is the true path and this thinking is very ancient and actually not part of "modernity" .... to realize one's self as "the path" is to live all that is good and to love, the concept that you speak of in the modern world is one of being self-centered with your ego in control and can certainly lead to some of the things that concern you .... the discussion of M. Magdalene has been of particular interest because she may have been an Essene, and some of the practices and views were woven into the way of the gnostics and the mystics .... in both gnosticism and mysticism the "inner path" is what one seeks and is considered to be the "true path" .... but least I forget I'm posting on the christian forum here and don't want to break any of the rules and protocols of what should and should not be discussed in the forum .... I wish you all the good you seek on your path thomas .... he hawai'i au, pohaikawahine

pohaikawahine said:
but least I forget I'm posting on the christian forum here and don't want to break any of the rules and protocols of what should and should not be discussed in the forum .... I wish you all the good you seek on your path thomas .... he hawai'i au, pohaikawahine

Hi pohaikawahine,

You are very welcome here in the Christian forum, as are all members! Respectful discussions of alternative views are always fine. :)

cheers,
lunamoth

Cool! Then I would say to Poh, after following the recent discussion ....

Je suis d'accord! Rock on!

There are many ways to interpret Christ's oh-so-familiar, and oft-quoted words from John 14:6:
"I am the way, the truth, and the life:
no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
"
Amazingly, I notice that there is often a hesitancy to go beyond appearances, or to really just sit, and ponder these words. Rather, this wisdom is always approached from the presumed vantage point of having already figured out what the Master was saying. Hmmm ....

There are many who feel that imitation is the highest form of flattery. And likewise, to recognize the Divine Love & Light as revealed to us through the works & words of Christ ... is to evoke a recognition within us - to set up a resonance pattern (to speak scientifically), with the Christ within.

Though the seed may be sleeping for many, we have ample Biblical evidence that Christ's Mission was to awaken & nourish this latent spark of Good - within the heart of each human being. And rather than seek out those who were burdened by wealth - either material wealth, or the wealth of worldly thinking - Christ sought to stimulate the Good (educare = `to draw out') within the simple folk, who could respond much more easily. Perhaps Mary M. was one of those, and that is all we should consider. Certainly the Apostles - fishermen by trade & training - were also - simple. But this does not mean they were not ideal to receive & teach the Gospel, Mary alongside them - perhaps grasping Christ's Teachings as well as the Beloved (or as the Beloved!).

Again, it seems to me that to err on the side of inclusiveness and Ecumenism ... is better than to err on the side of self-righteousness & exclusiveness. Truly, Love is blind. She does not discriminate, and though the results of perfect, unconditional love are not always mushy & sentimental (as they demonstrate through Humanity) ... the rule of thumb is always to include, not discriminate. The latter faculty (Vivekha in the Sanskrit), is important for the wise mind, but in my book, Love transcends everything that we know of as mind, and bridges us with a Peace that passeth (even) Understanding ...
protokletos :)

Hi pohaikawahine and taijasi -

Can we just pause for just a moment ... can I ask a question?

Can you explain Christ's words "not my will, but thine, be done."
Luke 22:42

This seems to utterly contradict your own positions in the discussion.

Thomas

Thomas said:
The rise of pluralism, often masking itself as benificent ecumenism, and egalitarianism, with its reduction of everything to a relativism, combined with man's overwheening sense of his own importance (a reaction to a culture that strips it away at every turn), is a trait of western civilisation.

Hi Thomas, while I agree with your take on man's sense of self-importance (and I think Christ's Way, the narrow gate if you will, is to lead us away from that), I think that one can be a pluralist without being a relativist, and this would be by love without judgment of others. I can be a Christian, I can love others, I can spread the Gospel by my actions and words which assure others that God loves each one of us, and not worry about another's path being more or less righteous than my own.

I'm not saying that Christianity and pluralism are easy bedfellows; I struggle with it constantly. I do not try to make a synthesis religion or somehow explain all other religions in Christian terms and metaphors. But, there is Mystery and there is Grace and in these I see a Love that does not leave anyone out in the cold, whether I understand it or not.

peace,
lunamoth

Hi Lunamoth -

I think that one can be a pluralist without being a relativist, and this would be by love without judgment of others.

I agree absolutely (I owe my return to Catholicism to a Tibetan Buddhist) but to be pluralist without relativism is to recognise and acknowledge difference, and its implications:

Some are on a path, and they know it.
Some are on a path, and they know it not.
Some are not on a path, and they know it.
Some are not on a path, and they know it not.

My point always is that it is an error of reason, logic, philosophy and metaphysics, to assume that every path is valid. If such is not the case, then everything that Christ and the Buddha said, is wrong.

Love does not always mean staying quiet.

I can be a Christian, I can love others, I can spread the Gospel by my actions and words which assure others that God loves each one of us, and not worry about another's path being more or less righteous than my own.

If any man or woman embraces religion, then I support them and love them for it, we can wave to each other from path to path.

But if all paths are equal, as some hold, then the whole idea is rendered invalid - everybody is doing exactly as they should be. As Voltaire said, "all's for the best in the best of all possible worlds," (as best as I can remember).

I'm not saying that Christianity and pluralism are easy bedfellows; I struggle with it constantly.
As do I. If a religion is comfortable, something is wrong.

I do not try to make a synthesis religion
But there are many voices here doing just that, and this is what I argue against. That is relativistic pluralism, and that is invariably what my posts are aimed at.

or somehow explain all other religions in Christian terms and metaphors.
And by the same token I will speak out when 'uncomfortable' aspects of Christianity are 'explained away'.

But, there is Mystery and there is Grace and in these I see a Love that does not leave anyone out in the cold, whether I understand it or not.

Do I come across as belligerant? I never try to push anyone out into the cold - quite the reverse, I would rather they were 'in here' - but when God asks 'where is thy brother' I hope I can say "I tried..."

Thomas

the discussion of M. Magdalene has been of particular interest because she may have been an Essene,

That would shed a different light on things. The Essenes were quite a hardcore militant sect and very strict on rites of purification. I can't recall if they practiced gender segregation at Qmran or not ... but they would not have endorsed Christ's teachings or his actions, and the higher echelons were fully celibate, in which case the whole notion of marriage etc would be out of the question.

Thomas

Thomas said:
I agree absolutely (I owe my return to Catholicism to a Tibetan Buddhist) but to be pluralist without relativism is to recognise and acknowledge difference, and its implications:

Some are on a path, and they know it.
Some are on a path, and they know it not.
Some are not on a path, and they know it.
Some are not on a path, and they know it not.

My point always is that it is an error of reason, logic, philosophy and metaphysics, to assume that every path is valid. If such is not the case, then everything that Christ and the Buddha said, is wrong.

I can be a Christian, I can love others, I can spread the Gospel by my actions and words which assure others that God loves each one of us, and not worry about another's path being more or less righteous than my own.

If any man or woman embraces religion, then I support them and love them for it, we can wave to each other from path to path.

But if all paths are equal, as some hold, then the whole idea is rendered invalid - everybody is doing exactly as they should be. As Voltaire said, "all's for the best in the best of all possible worlds," (as best as I can remember).

I'm not saying that Christianity and pluralism are easy bedfellows; I struggle with it constantly.

But there are many voices here doing just that, and this is what I argue against. That is relativistic pluralism, and that is invariably what my posts are aimed at.

or somehow explain all other religions in Christian terms and metaphors.
And by the same token I will speak out when 'uncomfortable' aspects of Christianity are 'explained away'.

But, there is Mystery and there is Grace and in these I see a Love that does not leave anyone out in the cold, whether I understand it or not.

Do I come across as belligerant? I never try to push anyone out into the cold - quite the reverse, I would rather they were 'in here' - but when God asks 'where is thy brother' I hope I can say "I tried..."

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

It seems that we are very much on the same page. I was just responding to the idea that pluralism equals relativism and while I see myself as a pluralist I am not a relativist, for the very reasons you give.

No, I do not find you belligerant at all! Wow, my own posting diplomacy mechanisms must be on the fritz as this is the second misunderstanding like this I've had in as many days. Sorry! I think it comes from me making a pointed remark in a reply, when in fact it should not be directed toward anyone.

Thomas, I am quite a fan of your posts. :) :cool:

peace,
lunamoth

Lunamoth, God bless!

It is in the nature of the medium, I believe, to 'miss' as much as we read.

"O wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!
(Burns)

Sometimes, I must admit, I wonder at myself. I try and adopt a certain 'scholastic' tone only to prevent myself running away at the mouth or blithering into sentimentality, a tendency to which I am indebted to my Gaelic genes.

Sometimes I think I am just a boor. (I do have a secret wish to grow into a curmudgeonly old man, but my long-suffering partner has threatened to smother me in my sleep if I do, and she is not to be trifled with).

Then again, I am in awe of the Patristic Fathers, who managed to merge the rigours of metaphysical speculation with the Mystery of Faith in a way that we have rarely managed since.

And I deligh that a Spiritual Director of no little repute spoke to me for 5 minutes and exclaimed with delight, "Oh! You are a Christian Neoplatonist! Excellent!" so I treat that as something of a vocation to be practiced.

Hence doing a Degree in Divinity at the age of 50!

Lord! If we Catholics can do anything well, it's write a book! Never mind the quality, my shelf is creaking under the weight.

The thing I do enjoy is most non-Catholics regard me as hardcore, whilst many Catholics look at me somewhat askance. I am a supporter of all the 'bad boys' - Origen, Dionysius, Eriugena, Eckhart ... all of whom, since Vatican II, I am delighted to see, are coming back into favour...

When we finally work out the residue of the 60's liberalism that sought to derail the Council, the Church will emerge a completely different and a bright, shining creature. Trouble is, when she does anything, she does it slowly, but pray God I shall be looking down from a reasonable height!!

Your brother in Him,

Thomas

Thomas said:

Speaking for myself, I don't consider "every path valid," per se. But what is "valid," anyway!?! Maybe we ought to think about what this means, since the answer isn't likely the same for each of us. This is a keg of nails which might best be addressed as a separate topic, in another forum (being truly comparative, or cross-religious) ...

... but from a Christian perspective, let's not forget - There are over 25,000 registered sects (or denominations) of Christianity ... and while there is agreement on many points, there are also some widely varying views on the very same Biblical passages and key ideas. Oh, say, gee - the idea of the Trinity! Or ... Mary Magdalene's relationship to Christ! lol :cool:

So, sometimes I probably get a little gung ho about trying to find points of similarity, while at other times I enjoy tossing in my extremely non-conventional viewpoints regarding the most essential of Christian ideas & teachings. But I do not challenge the historicity of Christ, or the importance of his Teachings, and certainly not the basic message (we agree that he taught - and demonstrated - Love). Everything else, in my book, is fair game - in the right Spirit. And thus, as you suggest, Thomas, we should not remain silent ... if we are sure that our words are kind, helpful, and true. Perhaps a yardstick which I will pay a bit more attention to ... :eek:

Thomas said:
My struggle, is that people (and theologies, and psychologies), seem to get their notions of inherent worth all tied up into the illusion that one person is better than another. And though we're looking at religious/spiritual beliefs largely, on this forum, I think we might benefit by recalling the following words of Section 2.1 of the Preamble of the US Declaration of Independence:
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal,
that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights,
that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."
[/font]​
Now, quibble as we may over the precise wording of this idea, and prefer as some may to look at this more humanistically (and if so, fine) ... does anyone really have a problem with this statement in & of itself? Self-evident, it says. What did they mean by that? Why not, "very likely," or ... "It really, really just seems like," .... or "Surely it is thus:"?

Because it should be self-evident
. What does that mean? (rhetorical)

Didn't mean to jump so quickly up on that soapbox ... but it does seem to me like - it can be difficult to discuss religious beliefs and preferences - if our stance is that some are better than others, and if in proposing such a thing ... we don't distinguish between one's self, or essential being (whatever that might be) .... and one's feelings, thoughts, ideas on a subject ... and the extent to which these may be caught up with/in, heavily laden by, religious notions/teachings/trappings.

Now, if anyone can wade through that, then - so much for my valiant effort - I think you may still see why we are often advised that in mixed company, we should not discuss - > yes indeed, religion & politics.

As an esotericist, I can tell you from my experience (and from NO OTHER perspective) ... that one fella over here might radiate like the sun (!) ... but only intellectually - and thus, emotionally speaking, he might not be the warmest person you've ever met. Meanwhile, she "wasn't the brightest bulb in the pack," as a dear friend of mind sometime says ... but, who might respond more to the Love of the Christ, or the lessons of Christian charity? Hmmm. I am reminded of I Corinthians 13, but, to go further:

For example, between a whole classroom of college students, all taking a world religions class (which may not be far from CR - and I hope I don't get swatted by the mods for going so far out on a limb here) ... there may be men & women of ages from 18 to 81. They may be Muslim, Christian, Wiccan, agnostic, militant moderates (as my philosophy professor used to say), and just plain drunk or absent-minded. For some folks, alas, the class is just a credit .... but for anyone that visits CR even twice - we've probably ruled out the dolts, otherwise, why bother?

So what's that leave? It's all about common ground. And the irony is, the harder we try to yank it out from someone else, the more of our own, we lose. Common means shared. And that's what Christ taught.

The "Establishment" (forgive, I know not what else to say) of Christ's day didn't want what he had to offer, for various reasons. But the common people - did! They were hungry for it, and so he "fed them." And he did so using the language of the masses, and with ordinary, everyday examples. I'm channelling common wisdom here, folks - and my ears are ringing like mad, so I must go.

But we ought to think about it for a sec. If, & when, once any discussion has moved outside of the "realm of the Christian spirit," then I think we can all recognize it - to a greater or lesser extent, but I also think we must also all - do our best to help bring it back. Perhaps this goes without saying, but what if not?

I'm the first to own up that the ideas I bring to this - and other - forums are not likely to immediately fit ... perhaps never. But, if even one person resonates, then - even if it but helps them to help define their own faith, by knowing what they don't believe - then have I not rendered a service? Yes, that's a dangerous argument. Our effort should not be simply to stir folk up (at least, not always). But if it isn't done from time to time, just think what the result would be.

That says a lot about energies, and I look at it from my own perspective, while I know we each have one. :D I love that. And it is also a struggle. Israel = struggle .... Immanuel = peace ... Hmmm, Rejoice, Rejoice, Immanuel shall come to Thee, O Israel. Neat.

Thomas said:
Many voices. Sounds like pluralism. Brings to mind a choir. Many voices. Out of harmony, just noise. In concert, and we often use words like "angelic," and beautiful!

Thomas said:
I don't think I've yet seen belligerent on CR. Something that warms me inside, as a matter of fact. Even if the world were headed for One Religion (some believe this, some do not), do we really think it's gonna happen tomorrow? Or that it should? I don't. But God forbid another single soul should see things the way I do. I wouldn't wish that madness on anyone! :eek: Beauty, wonders, bliss, perhaps - but that's not a 24/7 thing ... yet. ;)

How about some words of wisdom from good ol' Immanuel ...

... Kant, that is :)p ) ....

... really though:
Act only according to that maxim by which you can at the same time will that it would become a universal law.
Who said it before Kant, and how did he say it? And why is it punny? ;)

Ooops, Mary M. Oh yeah ... that's what this was about! :eek:

Andrew

About Dawkins...

Thomas said:
I hope he will have me for breakfast as a guest
Believe me, you really do not want to meet him. He's had a TV programme here in the UK in which he posits that God and religion are all a fantasy and the source of all the evil in the world. He is highly intelligent and extremely aggressive.

I don't doubt you one minute. If he had his way he would implement new laws to annihilate all religious/spiritual people. Bizarrely, I feel sorry for him. Possessed with his 'selfish gene theory'. Perhaps he's only trying to scientifically justify his own narcissism.

An academic, corporate psychopath? :eek: Apologies for off-topicness. Just had to!!

To Q, no problem. Wasn't my intention to touch your 'Catholic nerve'. :)
Be a good boy now, Q! *pat pat*

*still following the discussion*

Back